Mornhinweg: Stephen Hill has Looked Just Excellent So Far

flgreen

Marty Mornhinweg on Jets receiver Stephen Hill: 'He has looked just excellent so far'

Dom Cosentino/NJ.com By Dom Cosentino/NJ.com

Follow on Twitter

on May 29, 2014 at 4:57 PM, updated May 29, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg thinks the Jets' offense is "light years" ahead of where it was at this time last year, and wide receiver Stephen Hill may be one reason why.

Hill was a much-ballyhooed second-round draft choice in 2012. But injuries and some wildly inconsistent play limited his effectiveness in his first two seasons.

Last week, Hill said the knee swelling that landed him on injured reserve at the end of last season was all gone. He's been taking part in the Jets' offseason program, and he looked a lot like his old self during organized team activities on Wednesday. (Please don't read to much into that, however: It was one practice on one day in a long offseason. That Hill was present, accounted for, and able to move without grimacing tells you all you need to know about the injury problems that plagued his first two seasons.)

Mornhinweg was the Eagles' offensive coordinator at the time the Jets drafted Hill. The Eagles didn't need to select a wideout then, but during a conference call with Jets season-ticket holders Thursday, Mornhinweg said he liked Hill at Georgia Tech because of his size (6-foot-4, 215 pounds) and speed. That said, Mornhinweg admitted Hill was "pretty raw" coming out of college, so he figured it might take some time for Hill to adapt to the pro game.

Might that time be now? Maybe.

Mornhinweg suggested it's possible, but it is worth noting that it's still only May 29, and the Jets haven't yet practiced in full pads this offseason, let alone had any contact.

So take this with a grain of salt, given where we are on the calendar. Just know that Mornhinweg said it in response to a fan's question about Hill and what Mornhinweg sees for him this season.

"He has looked just excellent in these offseason practices so far," Mornhinweg said. "He still has room to progress, so he's got some work. But I've been excited about season thus far up to date in this offseason."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you extrapolate his good day at OTAs, watch out!!!!

Science!

According to my calculations, the additions of Decker, CJ, and Jace Amaro will equal Hill playing a role in the offense and adding to the total sum of said offense in a positive way

We all knew he would be a project. Why do people bash someone that's 23 years old and didn't instantly become a superstar the second he got into the league at 21 years old?

Same thing with Geno. He didn't become Russel Wilson overnight his first year so let's move on immediately? Give the players a chance to succeed. Stop running them all out of town before their careers even get going.

Too bad we are going to cut him or so i read.

Doubtful, no team holds onto their draft mistakes longer than the New York Jets. Hate him as we all do, but nobody is quicker to $hitcan his draft busts faster than Belickick up there in New England.

I'm expecting nothing. Bringing in Decker, Ford, showing interest in DeSean Jackson, and then drafting 3 more WRs in the draft says the Jets were expecting nothing from him as well.  

It would be pretty awesome if he was able to put it together.  He was drafted to be a #1 WR that needed to be double-teamed, with size/speed that can't be taught.  Also he was a willing and capable blocker (in contrast to Holmes).  He was also drafted as a project (Tannenbaum leaving the team with no other credible options pushed him into a role he was clearly unready for), and was therefore over-drafted.  Ideally he'd have been subbed in & out with a limited list of plays that he was able to digest. Also ideally he'd have been healthy.

We'll see.  Most of what I've seen from him is a function of his speed (not even his height).  But there are lots of fast guys.  Jacoby Ford is one of them.

So I'm expecting nothing but like anyone would be thrilled if the light has gone on.  This would, of course, presume he possessed a light to be turned on in the first place.  But year 3 isn't far-fetched for a guy to start to get it.  Especially when, despite a couple of easy drops on him, he's had so little help at QB in years 1-2.

Archived