Mornhinweg: Stephen Hill has Looked Just Excellent So Far

flgreen

he looked a lot like his old self during organized team activities on Wednesday. (Please don't read to much into that, however

Hopefully he looks very different from his old self ... like running good routes and not dropping balls

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that BP rep'd me and neg rep'd you.

BP's bloodlust hatred of JiF is the best thing this site has going right now, tbh.

I think he used to have it for me way back in the day on JI. But that was inevitably only temporary considering how god damned good looking I am.

I would like to personally thank my fan club :)

Marty Mornhinweg on Jets receiver Stephen Hill: 'He has looked just excellent so far'

Dom Cosentino/NJ.com By Dom Cosentino/NJ.com

Follow on Twitter

on May 29, 2014 at 4:57 PM, updated May 29, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg thinks the Jets' offense is "light years" ahead of where it was at this time last year, and wide receiver Stephen Hill may be one reason why.

Hill was a much-ballyhooed second-round draft choice in 2012. But injuries and some wildly inconsistent play limited his effectiveness in his first two seasons.

Last week, Hill said the knee swelling that landed him on injured reserve at the end of last season was all gone. He's been taking part in the Jets' offseason program, and he looked a lot like his old self during organized team activities on Wednesday. (Please don't read to much into that, however: It was one practice on one day in a long offseason. That Hill was present, accounted for, and able to move without grimacing tells you all you need to know about the injury problems that plagued his first two seasons.)

Mornhinweg was the Eagles' offensive coordinator at the time the Jets drafted Hill. The Eagles didn't need to select a wideout then, but during a conference call with Jets season-ticket holders Thursday, Mornhinweg said he liked Hill at Georgia Tech because of his size (6-foot-4, 215 pounds) and speed. That said, Mornhinweg admitted Hill was "pretty raw" coming out of college, so he figured it might take some time for Hill to adapt to the pro game.

Might that time be now? Maybe.

Mornhinweg suggested it's possible, but it is worth noting that it's still only May 29, and the Jets haven't yet practiced in full pads this offseason, let alone had any contact.

So take this with a grain of salt, given where we are on the calendar. Just know that Mornhinweg said it in response to a fan's question about Hill and what Mornhinweg sees for him this season.

"He has looked just excellent in these offseason practices so far," Mornhinweg said. "He still has room to progress, so he's got some work. But I've been excited about season thus far up to date in this offseason."

Yeah but unlike Trader Mike, Marty wouldn't have used a second round pick on him. MAYBE a fourth, but a second? please. I hope he does prove his worth because as a Jets fan I want only the best players on the team. So far I haven't liked what I have seen from Hill and I think he is a bust, but what do I know?

Yeah but unlike Trader Mike, Marty wouldn't have used a second round pick on him. MAYBE a fourth, but a second? please. I hope he does prove his worth because as a Jets fan I want only the best players on the team. So far I haven't liked what I have seen from Hill and I think he is a bust, but what do I know?

At the time, according to all the Guru's, Hill carried a late 1st round grade.  That's where the Jets had him. With his physical tools  Kid had a rep as a hard worker.  It was either the 2nd or never.

In all honesty Hill showed a lot of improvement in the early part of last season, then got hurt.  Being hurt consistently is just as negative as being bad.

I'm also agreeing with JiF.  Opening day it will be Decker, Hill and Kerley.  If Hill stays healthy he will have a break out season.  if he gets hurt again he'll be playing somewhere else in 15

I'm so glad he's shown that he can play well against the 4th string cb from the all-pro bills.

Well it's not as if teams will be putting their best CBs or DBs on him this year either. Hill's going to get a few over the top, just like Edwards but without the insane levels of douche and entitlement. 

Marty Mornhinweg on Jets receiver Stephen Hill: 'He has looked just excellent so far'

Dom Cosentino/NJ.com By Dom Cosentino/NJ.com

Follow on Twitter

on May 29, 2014 at 4:57 PM, updated May 29, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg thinks the Jets' offense is "light years" ahead of where it was at this time last year, and wide receiver Stephen Hill may be one reason why.

Hill was a much-ballyhooed second-round draft choice in 2012. But injuries and some wildly inconsistent play limited his effectiveness in his first two seasons.

Last week, Hill said the knee swelling that landed him on injured reserve at the end of last season was all gone. He's been taking part in the Jets' offseason program, and he looked a lot like his old self during organized team activities on Wednesday. (Please don't read to much into that, however: It was one practice on one day in a long offseason. That Hill was present, accounted for, and able to move without grimacing tells you all you need to know about the injury problems that plagued his first two seasons.)

Mornhinweg was the Eagles' offensive coordinator at the time the Jets drafted Hill. The Eagles didn't need to select a wideout then, but during a conference call with Jets season-ticket holders Thursday, Mornhinweg said he liked Hill at Georgia Tech because of his size (6-foot-4, 215 pounds) and speed. That said, Mornhinweg admitted Hill was "pretty raw" coming out of college, so he figured it might take some time for Hill to adapt to the pro game.

Might that time be now? Maybe.

Mornhinweg suggested it's possible, but it is worth noting that it's still only May 29, and the Jets haven't yet practiced in full pads this offseason, let alone had any contact.

So take this with a grain of salt, given where we are on the calendar. Just know that Mornhinweg said it in response to a fan's question about Hill and what Mornhinweg sees for him this season.

"He has looked just excellent in these offseason practices so far," Mornhinweg said. "He still has room to progress, so he's got some work. But I've been excited about season thus far up to date in this offseason."

Is he watching him take a shower, or does this have to do with football plays?

Archived