Eagles minicamps: Mark Sanchez struggles

BurnleyJet

He may end up as their 3rd Q.B?

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/05/eagles_minicamps_mark_sanchez_struggles_as_backup_quarterback.html

PHILADELPHIA -- Heading into training camp next month, the Eagles appear ready to roll with former New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez as their backup quarterback.

That much was clear on Thursday, as Sanchez took all of the reps with the second team offense, and second-year quarterback Matt Barkley was firmly planted with the third team.

Judging from those reps, however, Sanchez's spot on the depth chart could soon be changing.

Yes, they were just a few (errant) throws in one practice of a long off-season, but Sanchez's first impression on those outside of the Eagles' organization was not a great one.

"It's like learning a new language," Sanchez said of the Eagles' complex offense.

A language he has clearly yet to master.

Sanchez had the worst day of the four quarterbacks on the roster Thursday, missing a number of open throws and having a few others fall incomplete. One of his throws dropped to the ground with nobody within 10 yards of it. Another sailed about 5 feet over the head of running back Darren Sproles, who was wide open on the sideline.

While Sanchez was struggling, the rest of the quarterbacks had a mostly impressive day. The third-stringer from last season, Barkley appears serious about winning the backup job this season: He was laser sharp for most of the practice. Fourth-string quarterback G.J. Kinne had his moments as well, and showed that he could have the strongest arm on the team.

Starter Nick Foles had his moments as well, including a beautiful throw on the run to receiver Riley Cooper for a touchdown.

As for any thought the rough day might have to do with his shoulder injury last season, Eagles head coach Chip Kelly said Sanchez has been full go during practices.

"He's not limited at all," Kelly said. "He hasn't missed anything from the throwing in phase two to what we've done in the last three days."

Sanchez will have plenty of time to improve from one bad day, and even though he is still learning the offense, he presents a better option at No. 2 behind Foles because of his experience. As the Jets starter, Sanchez took the team to two consecutive AFC Championship Games.

Still, the backup spot quarterback should be up for grabs during training camp, and Barkley's year of experience in head coach Chip Kelly's offense was an advantage Thursday.

"I don't care about that," Sanchez said of the competition. "I'm competing against myself, I'm competing against the defense. I'm doing everything I can to help this team win."

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'll be out of the league in a year, maybe two.

Probably not. First round picks at QB have at least four or five lives. Pro player personnel departments always think that THEY are the team that can get him to his potential. I would say his starting days barring injury replacement are gone though.

No, seriously, what kind of weapons do the Eagles have on their second team??

Well one thing is abundantly clear: they do NOT have any 11 foot tall running backs to catch wide open passes along the sidelines

Another potential great that Rex failed to develop.

He certainly didnt put him in a position to succeed with the Tebow fiasco. did he?

At least Geno got a chance last year. he wasnt being pulled for Tebow on almost every second down and wasnt left with two downs to make a first down. that Tebow season still pisses me off. and THAT WAS ON REX. just accept it.

He certainly didnt put him in a position to succeed with the Tebow fiasco. did he?

At least Geno got a chance last year. he wasnt being pulled for Tebow on almost every second down and wasnt left with two downs to make a first down. that Tebow season still pisses me off. and THAT WAS ON REX. just accept it.

The needle hardly moved on Sanchez as a QB in 2012. It's not like he fell apart.

The needle hardly moved on Sanchez as a QB in 2012. It's not like he fell apart.

That has nothing to do with my post, Mad dog.  it was about his development. what starting qb in the NFL gets taken out on every second down? can you name me one? and according to Rex (lolololol) he saw a lot of positives in Mark each week :)

Development. Right. In year four.

BUT REX SAW PROGRESS EACH WEEK IN HIM IN 2012! ELEVENTY BILLION! Yeah, right. new atrocious offensive coordinator/new atrocious offense and we take him out on every other down so he cant get any rhythm. he should have been Johnny Unitas. you're REALLY REALLY SMART

Rex Ryan = 62 starts to figure out Sanchez sucks

Chip Kelly = 2 days of OTAs

I am the monster Tomshane wishes he could be.

POTW Nomination! where is fatass Crusher? he is slacking!

BUT REX SAW PROGRESS EACH WEEK IN HIM IN 2012! ELEVENTY BILLION! Yeah, right. new atrocious offensive coordinator/new atrocious offense and we take him out on every other down so he cant get any rhythm. he should have been Johnny Unitas. you're REALLY REALLY SMART

Yeah Rex is the worst coach we ever had.  We get it.

That has nothing to do with my post, Mad dog.  it was about his development. what starting qb in the NFL gets taken out on every second down? can you name me one? and according to Rex (lolololol) he saw a lot of positives in Mark each week :)

LOL Me and Shane: Mick and the Mad Dog.

BP, the way it read, you were saying that Sanchez was somehow hurt by the Tebow substitutions. I don't think he was. I think he was born hurt. And no, I don't think Rex realized it quickly enough, or Tanny for that matter, to put it nicely.

It really grinds my gears that this seems to have been forgotten. I don't know if there was any ideal way to handle the Tebow fiasco, but Rex sure opted for the dumbest.

Ok you guys falling over yourselves for the hate of Rex-take in the backroom

I love Rex. I wish he was my next door neighbor. We'd drink PBR's out of his keggerator in his garage, then he'd watch me bang his wife. That would be pretty sweet.

It really grinds my gears that this seems to have been forgotten. I don't know if there was any ideal way to handle the Tebow fiasco, but Rex sure opted for the dumbest.

Tannenbaum traded for Tebow, Sporano designed and called the plays for him. The fact that both men were fired after the season is not a coincidence.

Archived