Eagles minicamps: Mark Sanchez struggles

BurnleyJet

Probably not. First round picks at QB have at least four or five lives. Pro player personnel departments always think that THEY are the team that can get him to his potential. I would say his starting days barring injury replacement are gone though.

Jamarcus Russell says hi.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tannenbaum traded for Tebow, Sporano designed and called the plays for him. The fact that both men were fired after the season is not a coincidence.

well sure, but the point is moot. Sanchez had long since proved his ineptness by the time Tebow rolled around

He certainly didnt put him in a position to succeed with the Tebow fiasco. did he?

At least Geno got a chance last year. he wasnt being pulled for Tebow on almost every second down and wasnt left with two downs to make a first down. that Tebow season still pisses me off. and THAT WAS ON REX. just accept it.

false.    Jets still ran wildcat last season with Geno standing on the sideline.    Cribbs, Kerley, and Powell all took snaps in the wildcat.   

You guys are like the boyfriend who broke it off because it wasn't workin but are still keeping tabs hoping she doesn't do better.

Let it go already.

Agreed. Btw, we should have stuck with the great kellen clemens this whole time. We would have won both 08-09 with him at the helm.

false.    Jets still ran wildcat last season with Geno standing on the sideline.    Cribbs, Kerley, and Powell all took snaps in the wildcat.   

So whats false? Rex didnt learn from his past mistakes? and you are wrong. they certainly did not use Kerley/Cribbs as many times last year as they did Tebow in 2012. NO WAY LOL

So whats false? Rex didnt learn from his past mistakes? and you are wrong. they certainly did not use Kerley/Cribbs as many times last year as they did Tebow in 2012. NO WAY LOL

what's false is that Sanchez didn't have the "chance to succeed" because Tebow was brought in to run the wildcat while Geno had it easy and just stunk.  

1st - sanchez sucked so much in '11 that he didn't earn any right to anything in 2012.    Tebow ran the wildcat because sanchez couldn't carry the load on his own.   the game vs. Ten in 2011 was one of the worst QB games I've ever seen in my life.   Certainly worse than anything Brooks Bollinger ever did. 

2nd - Geno had the worst offensive supporting cast in the NFL in 2013.   While Geno didn't exactly light it up as a rookie he was something like 8-4 with Kerley on the field and spent the majority of the season throwing the ball to Greg Salas, Clyde Gates, and David Nelson who started the season on his couch.   

You guys are like the boyfriend who broke it off because it wasn't workin but are still keeping tabs hoping she doesn't do better.

Let it go already.

Fans here are interested in players who once were on the team, when they make the news elsewhere (for both good and bad reason). Whether it's Sanchez, Revis, Tebow, Favre, Pennington, Rhodes, Woodhead, Cotchery, etc. I'm sure someone will start a thread if/when Cromartie does something particularly good or bad. And it's fair; it's a guy the team could have had on its roster but who we let go. We get to discuss the wisdom of that decision the same as we discussed the wisdom or stupidity of starting - or even keeping - the player as long as we did.

I didn't start the thread, or comment in it as of your post, but is there any doubt someone from the Sanchez-just-needed-weaponz crowd wouldn't have posted this if the article was about Sanchez hitting everyone in stride? Fat chance. Given the zeal with which you defended Sanchez as a victim on the field when he was here, I have little doubt you'd be dishing out a bowlful of I told you so's as your thread reply if Sanchez looked amazing, rather than "Let it go already."

Sanchez sucks, but we're taking these OTA's too seriously. Exhibit A: Stephen Hill looks amazing guys.

No doubt. But not hitting guys who are wide open is nothing new.

He's like a bad shot who sprays it all around his target. Given enough opportunities, sometimes he hits the bullseye. When he does, those who think he's all that would rightfully say what a great throw he just made, but mistakenly would extrapolate that to all other attempts. That if only the team/coaching around him was this or that, then we'd be seeing these throws on the money as the norm. For years this went on. And if Sanchez throws even one TD in the absence of a turnover at any time for the rest of his life, I'm sure someone will start a Sanchez-loving thread about it.

What's false is that Tebow had anything to do with Sanchez's development. Of course it didn't help, but the book on Sanchez was written, published, and into paperback long before Tebow came around. It's like saying Chad's development was hindered by the sh*tty offensive line we had in 2005. The only correct answer on Sanchez was never drafting him in the first place, and the rest of you are all just varying degrees of wrong.

He certainly didnt put him in a position to succeed with the Tebow fiasco. did he?

At least Geno got a chance last year. he wasnt being pulled for Tebow on almost every second down and wasnt left with two downs to make a first down. that Tebow season still pisses me off. and THAT WAS ON REX. just accept it.

When Tebow was successful with the Broncos, he was either rolled out or running a waggle. Idea being you cut down on the field and receivers he throws to, or runs upfield in space against safeties and corners, who he is bigger than. it wasn't that complicated. Now Tebow may not be an NFL QB at all, but if he is on your team that is how you would use him. John Fox, a former defensive coordinator, understood this.

Wrecks Ryan did not. So Tebow's plays consisted of getting the ball and trying to run between the tackles against more and bigger defenders. Granted, the 2012 Jets were not going to do much. But if your coach didn't understand something so simple he's a goddamn dolt. You can not like Tebow and still recognize the moron Jets' HC badly misused him.

Those are the same thing. You can't build an offense around bootlegs, you certainly can't bring in a different quarterback to run them, and Tebow wasn't especially good at this kind of play anyway.

Yes and yes.Tebow in Denver was occasionally oakay at this. But you don't put any player in a position to fail, rather you use him in ways he can succeed. And the Jets and Wrecks failed to do that. Again, I'd readily agree Tebow is not and will never be an NFL QB. But if he is here, use him the ways Denver successfully did.

Or sprout a pair of testes and tell you moron owner to cut Tebow and find a real NFL backup QB instead.

He may end up as their 3rd Q.B?

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/05/eagles_minicamps_mark_sanchez_struggles_as_backup_quarterback.html

PHILADELPHIA -- Heading into training camp next month, the Eagles appear ready to roll with former New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez as their backup quarterback.

That much was clear on Thursday, as Sanchez took all of the reps with the second team offense, and second-year quarterback Matt Barkley was firmly planted with the third team.

Judging from those reps, however, Sanchez's spot on the depth chart could soon be changing.

Yes, they were just a few (errant) throws in one practice of a long off-season, but Sanchez's first impression on those outside of the Eagles' organization was not a great one.

"It's like learning a new language," Sanchez said of the Eagles' complex offense.

A language he has clearly yet to master.

Sanchez had the worst day of the four quarterbacks on the roster Thursday, missing a number of open throws and having a few others fall incomplete. One of his throws dropped to the ground with nobody within 10 yards of it. Another sailed about 5 feet over the head of running back Darren Sproles, who was wide open on the sideline.

While Sanchez was struggling, the rest of the quarterbacks had a mostly impressive day. The third-stringer from last season, Barkley appears serious about winning the backup job this season: He was laser sharp for most of the practice. Fourth-string quarterback G.J. Kinne had his moments as well, and showed that he could have the strongest arm on the team.

Starter Nick Foles had his moments as well, including a beautiful throw on the run to receiver Riley Cooper for a touchdown.

As for any thought the rough day might have to do with his shoulder injury last season, Eagles head coach Chip Kelly said Sanchez has been full go during practices.

"He's not limited at all," Kelly said. "He hasn't missed anything from the throwing in phase two to what we've done in the last three days."

Sanchez will have plenty of time to improve from one bad day, and even though he is still learning the offense, he presents a better option at No. 2 behind Foles because of his experience. As the Jets starter, Sanchez took the team to two consecutive AFC Championship Games.

Still, the backup spot quarterback should be up for grabs during training camp, and Barkley's year of experience in head coach Chip Kelly's offense was an advantage Thursday.

"I don't care about that," Sanchez said of the competition. "I'm competing against myself, I'm competing against the defense. I'm doing everything I can to help this team win."

still just don't get it. nobody can believe the statements he makes.

Lawd thats an awful thought. You shussh yo mouf!

Actually yeah, that's a horrible joke in the state the internet is in (tin foil). I was going to say "oh Uncle Paul" and just reference Jim Norton, but that was alot more work. I would have had to Google search and copy and paste and then Jah forbid I don't edit a post...

still just don't get it. nobody can believe the statements he makes.

it's crazy, right?   Sanchez is either delusional or has just been coddled for so long that he actually believes his own BS.   

I think Sanchez likes being the star but football stopped being fun for him when it became a job.   He likes to play around and joke around but he doesn't have the work ethic to be an NFL QB.    He actually reminds me a lot of Joey Harrington and I could see him either on the bachelor or in the Fox College Football studio within 2 years.  

The only correct answer on Sanchez was never drafting him in the first place, and the rest of you are all just varying degrees of wrong.

Bottom line.

They rolled the dice on him with disastrous results. Then went went on to draft other guys with limited experience playing football.

Team Tanny, Rex, & Woody = FAIL

IIRC, Tebow was in for like 40 offensive snaps in 2012. That works out to 2.5 a game. Not sure how that equates to every second down when Sanchez threw over 450 balls, but hey, I'm not a math major.

Yes, but when you factor in all the three and outs I think we only ran like five plays a game anyways.

Archived