2014 World Cup - Brazil

Jetsfan80

I was never on Altidore's bad side. He's got a size/speed combo unmatched by previous Team USA players. When he makes the turn in the box no defender can stop him.

Then again, I'm an idiot and a homer. I still like Brek Shea. I called him the "Mexico killer".

Jozy's a Jersey boy. Anyone who has something to say can get punched in the face. Ditto for Bradley and especially Howard.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has to be a better option.

Not really.  And pretty sure Jurgen said publicly that Landon would be his first call-up if anyone went down.  EDIT yep he did:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-landon-donovan-can-t-replace-jozy-altidore-182027533.html

Why Landon Donovan can't replace Jozy Altidore against Portugal
01-expert-feat-posts-70x70-png_175143.pn
By Martin Rogers 4 hours ago Yahoo Sports

SAO PAULO – Three weeks ago, Jurgen Klinsmann sat in a small auditorium at Stanford University and said it: Landon Donovan would be the first man called if the United States suffered an injury to one of its World Cup forwards.

Fast forward to right now and here we are with lead striker Jozy Altidore having sustained hamstring damage that will rule him out against Portugal on Sunday and maybe longer.

So why is Donovan still in Los Angeles, making commercials in his bathrobe for video game makers and chiming in with his two cents as an analyst for ESPN instead of getting ready to fly to Brazil and step into action?

The reason lies with FIFA, soccer's wonderfully strange governing body, and its rulebook for matters relating to the World Cup.

While it's annoying for those who would love to see Donovan return to the U.S. fold, FIFA rules state that teams have until 24 hours before their first tournament game to replace players on their 23-man roster. The deadline for the Americans was 6 p.m. ET last Sunday.

So when Altidore fell to the ground screaming in pain in the 20th minute of Monday's 2-1 win over Ghana after a hard sprint for the ball with Ghana defender John Boye, there was no longer any external recourse available.

Aron Johannsson was brought in as a substitute with mixed success, and he and Chris Wondolowski will compete for Altidore's spot against Portugal.

The latest episode of the Donovan saga is a bit overblown. That is because, despite Klinsmann's comments before the tournament, in a hypothetical world where the coach could call anyone right now, his choice would likely not be Donovan.

The logical decision would be to make a like-for-like swap and bring in Terrence Boyd, a physical, powerful forward from Austrian team Rapid Vienna who plays a similar style to Altidore's. Donovan's game is based on movement and trickery, making him a bad fit for a role that slotted him directly into Altidore's spot.

It is all moot now, of course, and doesn't bring Donovan any closer to Brazil.

England could be 2 and done as well.  Significantly less of a surprise than Spain, however.

England are not out yet. They need two Italy WINS and beat Costa Rica by two or three goals (depends on goals scored).

No chance I can do that.

Yeah, it's not like I'm cheering at the TV or anything, but I recognize that Concacaf is finally at that point where it is getting its due so it's important for the U.S. that they advance. Regardless, I'm looking forward to that game on Monday, Croatia is a fun team to watch when things are clicking with their wingers.

Yeah, it's not like I'm cheering at the TV or anything, but I recognize that Concacaf is finally at that point where it is getting its due so it's important for the U.S. that they advance. Regardless, I'm looking forward to that game on Monday, Croatia is a fun team to watch when things are clicking with their wingers.

If Costa Rica pulls this win off and we make it out of group play, I feel no responsibility to pull for Mexico.  Everyone recognizes that Mexico can be a capable side, and in that weak group, no one will care either way. 

Meanwhile, no one saw us or Costa Rica making it out.

That's how I justify my pure Mexico hatred, anyways.

If Costa Rica pulls this win off and we make it out of group play, I feel no responsibility to pull for Mexico. Everyone recognizes that Mexico can be a capable side, and in that weak group, no one will care either way.

Meanwhile, no one saw us or Costa Rica making it out.

I wonder how much the weather is a factor for them. Bolanos is still going full steam, I think I would have dropped dead on the field by now.

Archived