Injury Updates From Rex

JetNation

Rex Ryan gave some injury updates after the OTA session yesterday.

Antwan Barnes

It’s slow, but he’s getting better. We all wish he was ready to go, but he did have some different issues with his surgery. One thing I know about him is he’s going to compete, and he’s going to do whatever it takes to get back on that field. Where his situation is, I don’t expect him to be out here. Will he be ready for training camp, I’m not sure, but I don’t expect him to be at the rest of the OTA’s and the mandatory camp. He’s not ready to do that. Certainly, he gives us that punch and that suddenness off the edge that certainly we hope he is able to get back to us.

Dexter McDougle

We’ll see. He’s itching to go and things. He’s got a lot of strength in his shoulder doing certain things but then there’s other exercises that it’s not as much. Which you worry a little bit if he hits the ground, you don’t want him to have a set back of a dislocated shoulder. Those are things (that) you’ve got to make sure he just gets it completely strong. There’s some things he’s 100 percent at and then there are others that he is not quite (100 percent) at. But again we have been really impressed with him from a mental stand point and the way he carries himself and the little things that he’s able to do, he’s been impressive.

Mike Goodson

On whether Goodson would be able to participate if he was here considering his knee rehab?

I’m not going to speculate because he’s not here and I don’t know where he is.

Rex Ryan also added this on Mike Goodson:

The thing I know in this camp, it’s voluntary. Right, so he hasn’t been here. He volunteered not to be here and I’ll volunteer to not answer the question.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
eNThFOR_OEQ

View the full article

Hope not.  He's a beast if he can get healthy.

his ACL happened in week 5. Oct 6. standard ACL recovery is 7-9 mos.  It's basically been 9 months. 

but Rex says he's missing training camp (in july-aug) and it's implied he's not going to be ready for the season. 

Doesn't sound like his recovery is on schedule or even close to it. How is he going to get into shape?

He's over 30 it's not good news. 

his ACL happened in week 5. Oct 6. standard ACL recovery is 7-9 mos.  It's basically been 9 months. 

but Rex says he's missing training camp (in july-aug) and it's implied he's not going to be ready for the season. 

Doesn't sound like his recovery is on schedule or even close to it. How is he going to get into shape?

Rex's quote above reads: Will he be ready for training camp, I’m not sure, but I don’t expect him to be at the rest of the OTA’s and the mandatory camp. He’s not ready to do that. Certainly, he gives us that punch and that suddenness off the edge that certainly we hope he is able to get back to us.

Not sure how you interpret that to mean he's missing training camp. Probably the same way you refer to a 29 year old as over 30. There are different grades of ACL injuries, but Rex seems to be implying that something went wrong with his "different issues" comment. Barnes' salary is only $1.2M, and it sounds like Rex would like to get him back to me. We all know the Jets are short on pass rushers.

The Mike Goodson thing, however, remains a great mystery. I'm starting to wonder if they're holding onto him just so they can put in a claim to get some money back from him.

Mike Goodson

On whether Goodson would be able to participate if he was here considering his knee rehab?

I’m not going to speculate because he’s not here and I don’t know where he is.

Rex Ryan also added this on Mike Goodson:

The thing I know in this camp, it’s voluntary. Right, so he hasn’t been here.
He volunteered not to be here
and I’ll volunteer to not answer the question.

please cut this garbage

Anyone think Kyle Wilson will still be there after or during training camp? Sounds like Rex is pretty high on McDougle.

Wilson sticks as the nickel corner, then walks next year to become a potential comp pick in 2016. That's my guess.

I might agree, but now that they have more PUP list options, it seems like it'd be worth waiting it out.  People should keep in mind that they drafted 2 more guys that probably play OLB and they probably don't want to cut them outright even if they were late picks.

He was leading the team in sacks and QB hits when he went down -- pretty early in the season, I know, but he was hardly performing like a role player.

I think he was playing a role.  It was an important role and he was playing it well. 

I don't think it's looking good for Goodson nor Barnes which is sad because I happen to like both. Goodson is a really good change of pace back and great at catching passes out of the backfield and Barnes is great at putting pressure on the edge, even if it is situational. Both things the Jets needed last year.

He was leading the team in sacks and QB hits when he went down -- pretty early in the season, I know, but he was hardly performing like a role player.

He did that as a situational pass rusher.

He played mostly on the right side, I believe. He tore the ACL on his right knee on his plant and duck move. He used the plant move to go outside, and turn the corner, with his speed also.

I believe Rex was talking about Mini Camp, but it's not a good situation. Maybe he goes PUP in the beginning, and comes on in the second half of the season. Maybe he's good on the left side too. Best case scenario I guess.

Still a role player. Fair point, though I think it's more of a reflection of how weak the other pass rushers are. 

Along with Barnes - with whom Rex was not pleased with his 'slow' rehab - Quinton Coples is on the hot seat for sure. First round pick who has played far less than one. I disagreed with that pick anyway in Tanny's next to last draft. Rex and Tanny reached WAY across the table for Coples and Stephen Hill going by 'measureables' rather than college production. That is always a recipe for disaster.

Archived