Vick and CJ1K are the answer

jgb

With Vick the Jets can be a 10-win team. Just for fun, I looked at McCoy's stats with Vick as the starter (2013 excluded):

He averaged:

• 966 YDs and 7 TDs
  • 55 Rec for 400 YDs and 2 TDs 

That includes his rookie year when Westbrook was still poaching some touches. Granted, while Vick didn't play the full season ever for the Eagles, he played in at least 10 games each year there (except 2013, which I excluded anyway). These numbers are actually lower than CJ1K's average reception numbers with garbage QBs. The point is Vick does know how to utilize a pass catching RB. CJ1K is no longer the running threat he was briefly considered to be but the dude has put up 1000 yards on the ground each year and averaged 45 catches per season in his career. I'm telling you Vick + CJ1K could actually give this offense some life. Add Vick's average running numbers to that (average about 45 yards a game and 3 TDs a season) and we could really open up some passing opportunities. My pessimism/fatalism is based on the reality that Geno will probably get the nod, but Vick is, in my uneducated opinion, a vastly superior option this season.

Signing the best guards who are camp casualties(any ideas?) and riding Ivory till his legs fall off is what I see the Jets offense predominantly doing. Probably are best chance and getting back assuming whoever plays QB can significantly reduce their turnovers. Also assuming the defense is really good.

Yeah, if the question is, "Who are two of the older and more washed up players on the Jets' roster?"

sometimes when you have to pick between two turds all you can do is pick the one with corn and take a bite

With Vick the Jets can be a 10-win team. Just for fun, I looked at McCoy's stats with Vick as the starter (2013 excluded):

He averaged:

• 966 YDs and 7 TDs
  • 55 Rec for 400 YDs and 2 TDs 

That includes his rookie year when Westbrook was still poaching some touches. Granted, while Vick didn't play the full season ever for the Eagles, he played in at least 10 games each year there (except 2013, which I excluded anyway). These numbers are actually lower than CJ1K's average reception numbers with garbage QBs. The point is Vick does know how to utilize a pass catching RB. CJ1K is no longer the running threat he was briefly considered to be but the dude has put up 1000 yards on the ground each year and averaged 45 catches per season in his career. I'm telling you Vick + CJ1K could actually give this offense some life. Add Vick's average running numbers to that (average about 45 yards a game and 3 TDs a season) and we could really open up some passing opportunities. My pessimism/fatalism is based on the reality that Geno will probably get the nod, but Vick is, in my uneducated opinion, a vastly superior option this season.

This is why I felt the pick up of Vick was a very good one. I personally want Geno to win the job because that means at worst we have Michael Vick. Thats not a bad situation to have. 

So either way I think the jets upgraded at both QB and RB. I think that Geno can take advantage of the talent around him. Last year he had no talent around him outside of Kerley. David Nelson was okay but he needs to be depth and the run game put up yards but no scores. that kinda defeats the purpose then. CJ2K puts up yards and TD's and so does Decker. Getting Vick makes sure that we have sold play at the QB position. Amaro and Cumby will need some attention down the seams. 

The Jets will win more games than what Vegas has us winning. And if Milliner, Patterson, Walls and Pryor can solidify the secondary the jets will win a minimum of 10 games. Yes, I said minimum. 

Chris Johnson was obtained, and will start out being, the replacement for Leon/LaDainian that we so sorely missed. He's here to be used frequently in certain situations and to produce 1,000 yards running and receiving.  If he does that he will give the offense a huge shot in the arm.  If he does more than that, so much the better.

This is why I felt the pick up of Vick was a very good one. I personally want Geno to win the job because that means at worst we have Michael Vick. Thats not a bad situation to have. 

So either way I think the jets upgraded at both QB and RB. I think that Geno can take advantage of the talent around him. Last year he had no talent around him outside of Kerley. David Nelson was okay but he needs to be depth and the run game put up yards but no scores. that kinda defeats the purpose then. CJ2K puts up yards and TD's and so does Decker. Getting Vick makes sure that we have sold play at the QB position. Amaro and Cumby will need some attention down the seams. 

The Jets will win more games than what Vegas has us winning. And if Milliner, Patterson, Walls and Pryor can solidify the secondary the jets will win a minimum of 10 games. Yes, I said minimum. 

I also want Geno to win the job. Win it by handily beating out Vick. I will be madder than Tom Shane at a Rex Ryan autograph signing if Vick is the obvious better player and Rex or whoever is calling the shots rolls with Geno anyway.

10 wins a minimum? I like the optimism but if everything goes right this team wins 10. Would be happy to be wrong.

I also want Geno to win the job. Win it by handily beating out Vick. I will be madder than Tom Shane at a Rex Ryan autograph signing if Vick is the obvious better player and Rex or whoever is calling the shots rolls with Geno anyway.

10 wins a minimum? I like the optimism but if everything goes right this team wins 10. Would be happy to be wrong.

If Geno wins the job in any type of convincing fashion (even if it's close) we will win 10 games. Hell, we won 8 with him playing like sh*t for 3/4 of the season. 

I wouldnt be upset at all. Michael vick has been around the block, Geno Smith is a 16 game veteran. Its one thing for Vick to obviously be the better player, its another thing for Geno to look bad. 

Michael Vick when in the zone will beat any team in this league. Vick has never been in a position like this before. Last year he wasn't really considered the backup, he was simply competing for the starting job. In this situation Michael Vick is a backup until further notice. Vick isn't happy with that obviously. I think Geno will be more consistent because he has added talent around him. But I've seen what Michael Vick could do with talent around him and its a beautiful thing. 

Im not worried about Vick winning the job or not, I'm only worried about Geno not looking more consistent with the talent around him. Chris Johnson is arguably the best RB on the team (and the AFC East), Eric Decker is arguably the best WR in the AFC East and Jacoby Ford is a better talent than every WR we signed off the street last year, though David Nelson has shown that he needs to remain a Jet. Now add in Jace Amaro who at minimum will require attention from safeties along with Jeremy Kerley who's been the best, most consistent target on the team for a couple years now. 

Geno needs to show that he can make this work on the field. If he can then he will most likely be getting an extension in 2016. 

And if everything goes right we should be 19-0 lol. 

Now the Jets are a 10 win team? 

Layoff of the crazy pills, jgb.

I don't know why you have to be so negative. 

Our defensive line should account for 4 wins alone. Add 5 more wins because Rex is a master motivator. All we need is Geno to not suck or Vick to be in the zone and that should account for 1 win. Plus, that doesn't even factor in Stephen Hill's downfield blocking, how good Chris Johnson was 4 years ago, Calvin Pryor's trash talking bravado, or Eric Decker's hot ass wife wanting him to play here to propel her reality show career forward. 

All of this together, combined with Nick Mangold's undeniable ability to make white men over-rate him and you are talking championship soup baby. All the way.

sometimes when you have to pick between two turds all you can do is pick the one with corn and take a bite

While I often disagree with the things you write, I have to say that I fully appreciate your comment here.  As well placed a visual as I've seen in quite some time.  

Thanks  :-) 

IF they start Vick and he plays 16 games, it is possible yes.

I meant that you're all over the place. 

Rex and the Jets were the suck just the other day.  Now they're winning 10 games.  Which is it?

I don't know why you have to be so negative. 

Our defensive line should account for 4 wins alone. Add 5 more wins because Rex is a master motivator. All we need is Geno to not suck or Vick to be in the zone and that should account for 1 win. Plus, that doesn't even factor in Stephen Hill's downfield blocking, how good Chris Johnson was 4 years ago, Calvin Pryor's trash talking bravado, or Eric Decker's hot ass wife wanting him to play here to propel her reality show career forward. 

All of this together, combined with Nick Mangold's undeniable ability to make white men over-rate him and you are talking championship soup baby. All the way.

So, 12 wins?

I meant that you're all over the place. 

Rex and the Jets were the suck just the other day.  Now they're winning 10 games.  Which is it?

No, I'm saying Jets could win 10 if they were smart enough to listen to me. But Rex will not and thus the Jets will win 5 games.

No, I'm saying Jets could win 10 if they were smart enough to listen to me. But Rex will not and thus the Jets will win 5 games.

Is it smarter to win 10 games with Mike Vick or see if Geno has the goods now that he's got some talent around him?

Is it smarter to win 10 games with Mike Vick or see if Geno has the goods now that he's got some talent around him?

yes because we have a shot at the playoffs with vick. if it was a difference between winning 5-6 games, i would agree roll with the new dude. but if my prediction comes true, it will be obvious that vick is far and above the better player. i don't think this will be a debate around here much longer so i am trying to get my mileage out of it.

Dude put down the pipe. Vick is insanely overrated and Geno is a better QB today than a washed up fragile Vick

the good news is unlike most messageboard disagreements, we will get the answer to this one. let's see how the two perform in camp and pre-season. if i am wrong i will admit it. my prediction is vick will outplay geno significantly but the jets will roll with geno. you can necro this thread and throw it in my face if vick fails to outperform geno. i am not a soothsayer but as a gambler i'd put my money on vick hard.

the good news is unlike most messageboard disagreements, we will get the answer to this one. let's see how the two perform in camp and pre-season. if i am wrong i will admit it. my prediction is vick will outplay geno significantly but the jets will roll with geno. you can necro this thread and throw it in my face if vick fails to outperform geno. i am not a soothsayer but as a gambler i'd put my money on vick hard.

It's a small sample so far and is only when the team is in shorts but apparently Geno has outplayed Vick so far in the OTAs.

It's a small sample so far and is only when the team is in shorts but apparently Geno has outplayed Vick so far in the OTAs.

good i want geno to outplay vick. i also want to win powerball. but what i want doesn't always line up with what i think. and i think vick will earn the job with his play. and i think the difference could be his screen game, which geno didn't show much of last year, although to be fair geno didn't have CJ on roster last year. so maybe, hopefully, geno will surprise me. i'm still betting on vick though.

yes because we have a shot at the playoffs with vick. if it was a difference between winning 5-6 games, i would agree roll with the new dude. but if my prediction comes true, it will be obvious that vick is far and above the better player. i don't think this will be a debate around here much longer so i am trying to get my mileage out of it.

How can you be so confident in Vick winning 10 when he probably won't be healthy to even play 10 total games ?

How can you be so confident in Vick winning 10 when he probably won't be healthy to even play 10 total games ?

Of course he could get hurt--but in my opinion Vick give us a better chance to win any individual game. The more games he plays the better off the jets will be. If he plays a full season I think the jets could win 10.

I just don't think that's gonna happen. I don't think Vick is that good, and I don't think Geno is that bad. Yes, statistically he was terrible last year, but he had no business starting in the first place, and had next to nothing to throw to for much of the season. He was something like 8-4 when Jeremy Kerley was in the lineup, and while I like Kerley as a player, it's not like he's some superstar. I think with a year of experience under his belt and an improved cast around him that Geno will be much improved this year. And really, how good do you have to be to beat out a guy who's a career 56% passer with problems throwing interceptions and fumbling the ball? Especially when that guy is now clearly on the downside of his career? The answer is not all that good.

Chris Johnson is gonna help Geno, I'll give you that. Having a starting RB who can't catch a pass would be a problem for any QB, having a speedy guy back there who can serve as a safety valve is a huge plus.

I just don't think that's gonna happen. I don't think Vick is that good, and I don't think Geno is that bad. Yes, statistically he was terrible last year, but he had no business starting in the first place, and had next to nothing to throw to for much of the season. He was something like 8-4 when Jeremy Kerley was in the lineup, and while I like Kerley as a player, it's not like he's some superstar. I think with a year of experience under his belt and an improved cast around him that Geno will be much improved this year. And really, how good do you have to be to beat out a guy who's a career 56% passer with problems throwing interceptions and fumbling the ball? Especially when that guy is now clearly on the downside of his career? The answer is not all that good.

Chris Johnson is gonna help Geno, I'll give you that. Having a starting RB who can't catch a pass would be a problem for any QB, having a speedy guy back there who can serve as a safety valve is a huge plus.

One thing is for sure, it will be fun to watch. I hope Geno runs away with it, yet another QB competition/controversy not what this team needs right now.

Archived