Adam Schein Likes Geno, Hates Vick

jgb

Geno Smith, Trent Richardson among players I still believe in

We live in a "What have you done for me lately?" world. Maybe that's a mistake.

Some young players need time to grow. Some experienced players can have a down year and bounce back. Some old players shouldn't be kicked to the curb quite yet. And some injury-riddled players cannot be forgotten.

It's a good thing I'm such a positive person.

Here are nine players I still believe in:

5) Geno Smith, QB, New York Jets

It feels weird including a second-year QB on an "I still believe" list, but given Geno's yo-yo neophyte campaign, the Jets' signing of Michael Vick and the overall scrutiny that comes with quarterbacking in New York, I feel compelled to do so.

Take a second. Think about the running backs, receivers and tight ends on last year's Jets. Rank that group against the corresponding factions fielded by the rest of the league.

You can't blame Geno Smith.

This offseason, the Jets added receiver Eric Decker and running back Chris Johnson in free agency, while spending a second-round draft pick on tight end Jace Amaro. This definitely helps. And the game should slow down for Geno in Year 2.

I just hope Gang Green doesn't foul this up by starting Vick. The 2014 season should be about developing Geno Smith as their quarterback of the present and future.

Full article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000357773/article/geno-smith-trent-richardson-among-players-i-still-believe-in

It will help Geno having safety valves in Johnson and Amaro, something we didnt have in 2013. But we have to careful and not misjudge improvement IF he OVER USES these guys as safety valve. That could indicate he STILL hasnt learned how to get to secondary WR after the Primary covered. I only want safety valve used if he smartly goes thru progressions which he couldnt do last year after Primary covered.

It will help Geno having safety valves in Johnson and Amaro, something we didnt have in 2013. But we have to careful and not misjudge improvement IF he OVER USES these guys as safety valve. That could indicate he STILL hasnt learned how to get to secondary WR after the Primary covered. I only want safety valve used if he smartly goes thru progressions which he couldnt do last year after Primary covered.

geno 2014 will be better than geno 2013. there is nowhere to go but up. after all he was a rookie starter with garbage as a supporting cast. the question is will he be better than vick or not? and if not, is it close enough to justfiy continuing with geno to develop for the future?

I agree with Schein for one simple reason: I have a tiny bit of faith in Geno, but absolutely none in Vick.  I've never been a fan of his as a football player.  The guy seemed more like a rich man's version of the wildcat Ronnie Brown than anything more most of his career, a RB lining up at QB, as he has pretty much one season as a quality passer to his name (although many more as a rusher).  That's made worse considering he can't stay healthy and is on the downside of his career.  There's at least hope Geno can improve, that's long gone for Vick.  If I thought the Jets had a chance to be legit contenders with Vick then I'd gladly say screw all of that, but I just don't believe that.

Of course if Vick looks worlds better than Geno in preseason that changes things, but we'll see.

I agree with Schein for one simple reason: I have a tiny bit of faith in Geno, but absolutely none in Vick.  I've never been a fan of his as a football player.  The guy seemed more like a rich man's version of the wildcat Ronnie Brown than anything more most of his career, a RB lining up at QB, as he has pretty much one season as a quality passer to his name (although many more as a rusher).  That's made worse considering he can't stay healthy and is on the downside of his career.  There's at least hope Geno can improve, that's long gone for Vick.  If I thought the Jets had a chance to be legit contenders with Vick then I'd gladly say screw all of that, but I just don't believe that.

Of course if Vick looks worlds better than Geno in preseason that changes things, but we'll see.

Vick has proven that, with talent around, he can win between 7-9 games.

This team has proven that with a turnover machine at QB, they can win 7-9 games. 

Vick makes us what we already are. IF Geno can be better than he was last year, we can exceed that. 

Geno is not good. Mentally I don't think there's anything moving up there. That's always going to be a problem for him.

Im not a big fan of Geno and even lesser fan of Vick but you have to give Geno at least a chance to show he can mentally handle this level. Many QB's can't, even though they have amazing athletic ability and great arms (Jeff George) . Geno did make progress the last few games of the season cutting down the turnovers but that's because they basically ran a more conservative offense keeping Geno in check and not have him sling the ball all over the field.

If Geno can cut down the turnovers and slowly progress as a QB he has a chance, if he fail's for the same reasons Mark Sanchez Failed, then this next draft we need to go after a real franchise QB if one is available and do whatever it takes to get him. Its not a time to be conservative when looking for your franchise guy at the QB position IMO.

Pryor is a solid Football player and he will contribute from day one but I still cant believe we passed on Manziel when he was available at 18 Sure I could be wrong but I think the kid will make the Browns a winner if their Defense plays up to the potential they are capable of. I feel we will regret not taking him

Im not a big fan of Geno and even lesser fan of Vick but you have to give Geno at least a chance to show he can mentally handle this level. Many QB's can't, even though they have amazing athletic ability and great arms (Jeff George) . Geno did make progress the last few games of the season cutting down the turnovers but that's because they basically ran a more conservative offense keeping Geno in check and not have him sling the ball all over the field.

If Geno can cut down the turnovers and slowly progress as a QB he has a chance, if he fail's for the same reasons Mark Sanchez Failed, then this next draft we need to go after a real franchise QB if one is available and do whatever it takes to get him. Its not a time to be conservative when looking for your franchise guy at the QB position IMO.

Pryor is a solid Football player and he will contribute from day one but I still cant believe we passed on Manziel when he was available at 18 Sure I could be wrong but I think the kid will make the Browns a winner if their Defense plays up to the potential they are capable of. I feel we will regret not taking him

If Geno isn't the answer, we need to cut bait and keep moving. Decision making needs to jump ahead this year. A strong arm is useless if he can't grasp the philosophy. The Sanchez experiment set us back 8-10 years. The amount of time wasted on doubling and tripling down on that loser was painful. Things like mental aptitude and progress need to happen within this year, or it has to be on to the next one.

If Geno isn't the answer, we need to cut bait and keep moving. Decision making needs to jump ahead this year. A strong arm is useless if he can't grasp the philosophy. The Sanchez experiment set us back 8-10 years. The amount of time wasted on doubling and tripling down on that loser was painful. Things like mental aptitude and progress need to happen within this year, or it has to be on to the next one.

Many contributions to the Sanchez failure part of it was the total lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball we don't know how much damage that actually did to him especially in year 4 when we had the most horrific offensive talent in this teams history and then Injuries on top of that. What it comes down to is Sanchez needed a fresh start and maybe if he sits behind Foles for a while and really learns the position from an offensive Guru like Kelly he might turn it around . His only chance at that point is if Foles gets hurt or just completely regresses giving Mark the chance to show he can play in a real offense . At that stage he will become good trade bait for the Eagles but certainly a lot has to happen for that to work his way an most of it is in his court he will have to perform

Jeez....they BOTH suck.

55% completion percentage.

Accuracy is key for NFL QB...neither one cuts it. They'll have streaks but I don't like either one. Hope I'm wrong.

Jeez, Geno was 70% in college. No thought that he might improve to closer to that number now that he has some idea what he is doing?

Archived