Chiefs release Brandon Flowers

Newyorkgiants10

What kind of corner is he - Cover 2 or man to man?

Man to Man corner. Last year he personally covered Wes Welker and Keenan Allen in the broncos and chargers game. I'm not usually the guy that says we should sign this guy...but I'm saying sign this guy.

What kind of corner is he - Cover 2 or man to man?

Cover two corner

Man to Man corner. Last year he personally covered Wes Welker and Keenan Allen in the broncos and chargers game. I'm not usually the guy that says we should sign this guy...but I'm saying sign this guy.

He's plays good in zone. Last year he played over half of his snaps in the slot which is the reason you seen him covering Welker and Allen. Chiefs have shift to a heavy press scheme which Flowers isn't best suited for.

I would like to see them sign Flowers. If we're preaching competition guys like Patterson and Mcdougle should have someone legit to compete with. Flowers is a pretty good CB and in my mind is an upgrade over what we have in house at the moment.

That being said, I really don't know what we have in house with all these new and younger fellas.   We may have an awesome CB tandem in Milliner and Mcdougle for all I know, ( add to that Pryor and Allen for the whole DB field)  but having a vet like Flowers in the building sure feels better for me than the ? we have at the moment.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Brandon Flowers was a bit of a misfit for the Kansas City Chiefs since they hired John Dorsey as general manager and Andy Reid as head coach last year. At 5-foot-9, he suddenly found himself playing for a team that preferred its cornerbacks much larger. He didn't play well last season despite making the Pro Bowl, and his unhappiness over being shifted to nickel back in obvious passing situations became evident when he held out from offseason practice.

Flowers was still the best cornerback the Chiefs had. That, too, became obvious during his offseason absence.

Releasing cornerback Brandon Flowers will create some cap space, and depth problems, for the Chiefs.

The Chiefs released him anyway, saving $7.5 million this year against the salary cap and another $7.5 against their cap next year. They will need that cap room if they sign quarterback Alex Smith and linebacker Justin Houston to contract extensions.

But Flowers wasn't a luxury for the Chiefs given their current state at cornerback. They will pay a price for acquiring that cap room, and the only question is how hefty the bill will be At cornerback the Chiefs are left with only veteran Sean Smith as a proven commodity, and though Smith is an adequate starter, he's not a No. 1. Their other starter in the offseason has been Marcus Cooper, a seventh-round draft pick last year by the San Francisco 49ers. The Chiefs grabbed him off waivers at the start of last season and he played well for a time as their third cornerback.

By season's end, his play had deteriorated to the point the Chiefs felt compelled to move him to the bench.

The other cornerbacks currently contending for playing time are Ron Parker, a journeyman who has been beaten several times in offseason practice, Chris Owens, a 5-9 nickel back, and rookie Phillip Gaines, a third-round draft pick who so far has shown little.

That is not a great mix, so despite some of the hard times Flowers had last season, this move doesn't make the Chiefs any better. Flowers to an extent forced the Chiefs to make the move with his holdout. Next week's mandatory minicamp was looming and the Chiefs evidently tired of the situation.

That is behind the timing of the move, and the cap savings won't hurt, either. But the Chiefs will still feel some pain. It will come as they try to cover for his loss and as they watch him play well for some other team in 2014 and beyond.

5'9"

got benched

held out anyway

lol

I get what you're saying but being 5 ft 9 didnt stop the guy from becoming a pro bowler. I would take a chance on him seeing as how iffy our cornerback situation is, he would immediately become a starter for us.

I get what you're saying but being 5 ft 9 didnt stop the guy from becoming a pro bowler. I would take a chance on him seeing as how iffy our cornerback situation is, he would immediately become a starter for us.

agreed. We let him compete with the guys we have but chances are he is better than all of them. It could go a long way toward making things more solid. It would also support plan Idzik and that patience is still a  virtue.

5'9"

got benched

held out anyway

lol

Wasn't Cooper the one that was benched after getting some burn as the #3 DB?  The way this was posted makes no reference to Flowers, but seems like a continuation of the Cooper reference.

Jets supposedly bringing him in for a workout, according to Erika Esola. Dolphins also interested. Stoicsentry eats the dick all the way up to the balls and stops.

http://www.gubta.com/the-new-york-jets-reach-out-to-brandon-flowers/

So from what I have gathered, expect Flowers to work out with the Jets this week. Also heard the Dolphins are interested in bringing him in.

— Erika Esola (@emesola) June 14, 2014

The Jets have already reached out to Brandon Flowers, per local source.Chiefs – Jets tried to work out a trade in May but Idzik said no.

— Erika Esola (@emesola) June 14, 2014

Erika Esola, who if you recall was spot on about the visit from Chris Johnson and his salary, has some more information today about the New York Jets:

From speaking to Erika, she’s said that the market is obviously much more saturated for Flowers than it was for Johnson, yet the team remains a front runner at this point in time. They have the cap space and the positional need, so there’s obviously a fit.

As I said yesterday, the team should seriously look into signing Flowers, and it appears they are. There are many valid concerns about Flowers, whether he can revert to his top form, and whether he can survive in Rex Ryan’s scheme. However, he would still be far and away the best cornerback on the roster, and I trust that Ryan can adapt his scheme to fit Flowers’ skill set.

Thanks T0m

Interesting to find out that a trade was attempted and Idzik nixxed it.  If he ends up signing Flowers, could it be that Idzik is the geniousest GM that has ever existed?

Archived