Sporting News names Rex Ryan 17th best coach in the NFL

T0mShane

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand how you can say that. It's just not looking at things from an objective pov. Rookie DB's struggle 99% of the time. Look no further than Dee last year. Who was just god awful. McDougle is having a hard time in camp so far and to call Patterson an upgrade over Cro is just being a homer. In fact saying our secondary will be better is being a homer. There's no evidence at all to support it. Cro was really bad last year but he's always better than a guy who can't play. Plus we all know Cro wasn't healthy.

Whether Cro was healthy or not last year he was god awful. So if Patterson can stay healthy which he has so far, he will definitely be an upgrade over what Cro did last year. Why is that statement being a homer? And even though Pryor is a rookie he is an impact player in that secondary and will only help our safety group. I can't comment on your statement regarding Dex because I'm unaware he was having a "hard time" in camp, but maybe he has, if you have a link on that I'll gladly take a look.

First off Go Jets!

I have to say I'm not, nor have ever been a Rex fan. I honestly don't get the love for him. Maybe it's because I live outside of NY and I get a objective opinion? No one outside of NY wants Rex as a HC. Heres my biggest problems with him.

1) He's a very good DC but thats literally all he can do. And if you ask me he's a little overrated. How good was our defense last year. And this year it doesn't look any better. Our #1 CB was benched several times and was one of the worst players in the league. Not just worst CB's, but worse players. Our #2 and 3 guys are uproven to say the least. Our linebackers are slow and can't cover for the life of them. Teams have been eating us alive in the middle of the field for years. Honestly I don't have high hopes for this defense right now. Hopefully I'm wrong. They will be tested early and often as the first 12 games are brutal.

2) People keep saying his players love him but how many good coaches have lost two locker rooms in their tenure? Rex has lost this team a few times. That speaks volumes about his leadership.

3) His player development has been awful. There have been countless bust on this team since he took over and the list is getting longer. Unless serious talent is given to him he hasn't shown the ability to "coach up a player".

4) People also like to make excuses for him by saying the offense has sucked. Well why has it sucked? He's the HC and should develop talent, bring in coaches that actually know what their doing and get effective players on that side of the ball. He's the reason the offense has been horrible.

5) People in NY might like the sh*t he says but he's considered a joke and has made the jets a joke outside of NY. He's brought on so much attention and hasn't delivered at all. And when he doesn't deliver it's "nothing to see here", after making foolish statements year after year. Not to mention the off the field bullsh*t that has been a complete embarrassment.

6) His in game adjustments and clock management has been less than good at times every year.

I'm sorry but he's not the only guy that can coach defense and while his defense has been very good at times, it's also been so-so. We can do much better than him. There is talent everywhere.On other coaching staffs, college coaches etc.

I agree with everything except your view of Milliner, I think he really came on at the end of the year.

Rex is a bottom ten head coach, but a Top 5 DC. Our defenses have been good enough to be mediocre, and people seem to view that as an achievement because they completely absolve Rex of any responsibility for the offense which he is the reason for. He should have been fired, but mediocre is better than Herm and Mangini so people lick is boots. 

He is not the worst head coach in the NFL, but he is easily bottom 10.

Jim Caldwell ahead of Rex, really? Are you kidding me, in what world!?

I also have a problem with Chuck Pagano being ahead of Rex, the man has capitalized on an atrocious division and is 1-2 in the playoffs with a better QB than Rex has ever had and likely will ever have.

Chip Kelly has done nothing so far, he hasn't even won a playoff game, so one year of winning a terrible division gives him that credibility? ridiculous.

And Mike Smith, I don't get it, 1 playoff win in 6 seasons, and without Matt Ryan that team would have gone nowhere.

^^^^^^^^

Last years talent is considered the bottom 3rd of all the talent in the league and his WR corp was by far the worst in the league yet his record was 8-8. When Rex had decent weapons surrounding a rookie/2nd year QB, talent that was considered mediocre, he went to the AFC Championship game twice beating out the likes of Phillip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Also, both teams that the Jets lost to were wildly more talented than the Jets yet both losses were by respectable scores, and the jets almost pulled off a comeback win against the Steelers in 2010. 

Some of these coaches ahead of him have much better talent at many key positions (QB, WR) and they've not come close to what Rex has accomplished. What kills me is how Belichick can get so much credit for championships that he cheated to win over a decade ago and older yet Rex seems to have his accomplishments pushed to the side that he accomplished just a few years ago "honestly". 

jet fans even accept this sh*t. I wont give a specific place but I can for sure say that there isn't 16 better coaches than Rex Ryan in the league. 

First off Go Jets!

I have to say I'm not, nor have ever been a Rex fan. I honestly don't get the love for him. Maybe it's because I live outside of NY and I get a objective opinion? No one outside of NY wants Rex as a HC. Heres my biggest problems with him.

1) He's a very good DC but thats literally all he can do. And if you ask me he's a little overrated. How good was our defense last year. And this year it doesn't look any better. Our #1 CB was benched several times and was one of the worst players in the league. Not just worst CB's, but worse players. Our #2 and 3 guys are uproven to say the least. Our linebackers are slow and can't cover for the life of them. Teams have been eating us alive in the middle of the field for years. Honestly I don't have high hopes for this defense right now. Hopefully I'm wrong. They will be tested early and often as the first 12 games are brutal.

2) People keep saying his players love him but how many good coaches have lost two locker rooms in their tenure? Rex has lost this team a few times. That speaks volumes about his leadership.

3) His player development has been awful. There have been countless bust on this team since he took over and the list is getting longer. Unless serious talent is given to him he hasn't shown the ability to "coach up a player".

4) People also like to make excuses for him by saying the offense has sucked. Well why has it sucked? He's the HC and should develop talent, bring in coaches that actually know what their doing and get effective players on that side of the ball. He's the reason the offense has been horrible.

5) People in NY might like the sh*t he says but he's considered a joke and has made the jets a joke outside of NY. He's brought on so much attention and hasn't delivered at all. And when he doesn't deliver it's "nothing to see here", after making foolish statements year after year. Not to mention the off the field bullsh*t that has been a complete embarrassment.

6) His in game adjustments and clock management has been less than good at times every year.

I'm sorry but he's not the only guy that can coach defense and while his defense has been very good at times, it's also been so-so. We can do much better than him. There is talent everywhere.On other coaching staffs, college coaches etc.

Great post. Regarding number two, every year that article comes out around week 9 about how the there is a locker room rift between the offense and defense. The jets are a caste system. Defense are the upper class and offense are the lower class. And it creates discord and resentment from within. Thats on Rex. Not the GM, not the owner, THE COACH.

Jim Caldwell ahead of Rex, really? Are you kidding me, in what world!?

I also have a problem with Chuck Pagano being ahead of Rex, the man has capitalized on an atrocious division and is 1-2 in the playoffs with a better QB than Rex has ever had and likely will ever have.

Chip Kelly has done nothing so far, he hasn't even won a playoff game, so one year of winning a terrible division gives him that credibility? ridiculous.

And Mike Smith, I don't get it, 1 playoff win in 6 seasons, and without Matt Ryan that team would have gone nowhere.

A bunch of those names are ridiculous.

The neatest thing about this is that many of these guys that are better than Rex Ryan per this list, have lost games to Rex Ryan or never beat Rex Ryan and Rex Ryan's QB was either Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith.  Which makes you wonder, how does this horrendous Head Coach beat guys like BB, Tomlin, Payton (Top 5 Head Coaches per this list with HOF QB's leading their team).  He's also beat Fox, Pagano, Smith, Fisher and who are on this cute little list.

Crazy. 

Yiu guys make a really compelling case about Rex being deprived of the roster to best maximize his talents, and it's making me reconsider just how good Bruce Coslet secretly was here.

Bruce Coslet beat Don Shula once or twice. How could he have managed to do that if he couldn't coach?

Archived