Jets Sign Dexter McDougle

Maxman

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-ericallenfb/Jets-Sign-3rd-Rounder-Dexter-McDougle/a81311da-0abf-46c8-92fe-e1b65eab89da

The Jets have announced the signing of cornerback Dexter McDougle, their last of 12 draft choices to come to terms.

The 5’10” 195-pound McDougle, the Jets' third-round pick (No. 80 overall) out of Maryland, is participating in the team’s mandatory full-squad minicamp, now wearing a green jersey after wearing a red "hands-off" jersey for most of the offseason due to his shoulder.

“He’s a guy we feel really good about, just a physical guy who can really do a bit of everything,” said head coach Rex Ryan. “He has hands for the interception, he can find it, he can play press, he can play off, he can play outside, he can play inside and he’s not afraid of contact. That was impressive to me. He’s fast enough, he’s physical and he’s a strong guy. We certainly look forward to when he can get rolling out there.”

Dexter McDougle Stands Out in Green

McDougle, who had six career INTs and 19 PDs with the Terrapins, suffered a season-ending shoulder injury against Connecticut on Sept. 14, 2013. He posted a 4.43-second 40 time at Maryland’s pro day, and with his participation in this week's minicamp, he looks full-go for training camp.

“I always said other than my ball skills, I feel like my ability to come up in run support would stand out and help me out throughout the draft process,” McDougle said. “You want corners to be physical.”

McDougle stood out on day one of the full-squad minicamp with a couple of pass deflections.

“The guy’s really committed. He’s all business on the field,” said Ryan on Tuesday. “I think you saw a little bit of why we’re so excited about him and optimistic about him. He is physical. He’s able to press and get both hands on you in press. He’ll compete and I think those are things that we were looking to see and I think we saw today. All of us saw it.”

He signed his contract, AND he had two pass breakups in camp against our second team. This is how the warm-and-fuzzy starts.

More and more lately the pick we all hate on draft night becomes the player we end up loving the most, at least that's how it seems.

More and more lately the pick we all hate on draft night becomes the player we end up loving the most, at least that's how it seems.

whoa whoa whoa. I did NOT say I love the guy. I'm straight, man. 

exit only!! I have a girlfriend, and I'm married to a woman.  you're gay! 

Same as last year. Everyone questioned that Sheldon Richardson pick, especially since no one ever spoke about him within Jetnation. The only person that ever came up in conversation was Star Lotulelei regarding the defensive line. Star had a pretty good year as well for the Panthers but Sheldon Richardson was just lights out. 

There wasn't a person within the Jets fan circle that even knew who Dexter McDougle was. He's been impressive so far. 

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/6/17/5818418/rex-ryan-press-conference

Where Does CB Dexter McDougle Project to Play?

491482203.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Signed. Sealed. Delivered. - Rich Schultz

The Jets lock up the 3rd round CB on the same day he receives praise in practice.

It was only a matter of time. The Jets have inked their final holdout, CB Dexter McDougle (if you can even call him that, he never actually held out and had already participated in Jets activities) to a contract, per Eric Allen on newyorkjets.com.

Details aren't immediately available but we will update at the bottom of this page with the contract specifics as soon as they come down. Here's a breakdown of the likely parameters of his rookie contract as laid out by the most recent CBA agreement from overthecap.com, via Darryl Slater and The Star-Ledger:

According to 
overthecap.com's rookie wage scale estimate
, his four-year contract should be worth a maximum value of $2,953,876, including a signing bonus of $598,876. His salary cap figures for 2014-17 should be: $569,719, $709,719, $799,719 and $874,719.

His agent is Josh Hare of Dimensional Sports Inc., which is based in New York. That company also represents Jets rookie quarterback Tajh Boyd, a sixth-round pick, and 
Bills
 second-year quarterback EJ Manuel.

Last week McDougle returned to practice for the first time since a shoulder injury ended his college career early in his final season. Dexter took a positive attitude and shined through in practice while asserting that his people and the team could work out all of the financials. Besides getting beat by Eric Decker on a reception in a previous practice, McDougle was the breakout star of OTAs. Today, Dexter notably received praise from Rich Cimini as well as other beat writers for continuing to demonstrate excellent potential. From ESPN:

4. Impressive corner:

Rookie Dexter McDougle, who got a late start in the offseason program because of a shoulder surgery from a college injury, continued to make plays. Working with the second-team defense, the third-round pick made at least two pass breakups. He's aggressive at the line of scrimmage, not afraid to engage with a receiver. "I think you saw a little of why we're so excited about him," Ryan said. McDougle and 
Darrin Walls
 were the second-team cornerbacks, behind 
Dee Milliner
 and Patterson.

A 5 foot 10 inches and 196 pounds, many people thought the relatively small McDougle might be a reach in the 3rd round of the 2014 draft (80th overall) and might not live up to potential because of his size. While it is far too early to tell whether McDougle will pan out or not for the Jets, he is receiving widespread praise for his physical abilities and performance in practices.

If Dexter continues to thrive with the Jets, you may have heard the last of former first round draft pick CB Kyle Wilson, who has been quietly relegated to the nickel and hasn't been so much as mentioned by staff as a figure in these defensive back competitions. It's unlikely the Jets would cut or trade Wilson prior to the end of the season, given their continuing need at the position. However, if the performances of McDougle, Dimitri Patterson (who had a pick today), and Ras-I Dowling in practice translate at all into game time production for the Jets; there may not be as great a need at DB as was originally projected.

My personal assessment is that there is a very good chance that McDougle will play as Nickel or 3rd CB to start if he continues to look good in the offseason. Pads aren't on yet and McDougle has been playing the second team, so he is far from a lock to supplant Wilson. It appears as all but certain to me that Darrin Walls will lose his job to Patterson, who has a history of both breakout interceptions and missing a great number of games every season. It really seems like Kyle Wilson has become an afterthought of the Ryan/Thurman defense as he enters his final year under contract.

There still is plenty of offseason to go before a roster is set, but McDougle is shaping up to be a promising young player for the Jets.

What role do you think Dexter McDougle will have on the Jets defense, both this season and in the future?

CB Whitley (in photo) looks a heck of a lot like Laron Landry!

Kid's got some GUNS!

Read up on him a bit. A physical freak out of Tx. Christian Abeline. Played in CFL and Arena league.

Kid does look jacked, but I don't think he is with the team.  He was a tryout player. They only signed 2 guys from the mini-camp tryouts - AJ Edds a ST/LB who played with the Colts and Pats and Marcus Zusevics a T from the Pats.  Both went to Iowa.

Kid does look jacked, but I don't think he is with the team.  He was a tryout player. They only signed 2 guys from the mini-camp tryouts - AJ Edds a ST/LB who played with the Colts and Pats and Marcus Zusevics a T from the Pats.  Both went to Iowa.

Thanks. I'm always rooting for these UDFAs... Rontez Miles, Chris Young, Marcus Dowtin

When you see a guy like "Snacks" achieve what he has, it's always a testament to hard work and never giving up.

Thanks. I'm always rooting for these UDFAs... Rontez Miles, Chris Young, Marcus Dowtin

When you see a guy like "Snacks" achieve what he has, it's always a testament to hard work and never giving up.

Cool.  Might want to hurry on the TIm Fugger bandwagon with Gato and DBatesman.  UDFA Troy Davis was showing some signs last year and getting run on specials before he got cheap shot KO'ed.  

Cool.  Might want to hurry on the TIm Fugger bandwagon with Gato and DBatesman.  UDFA Troy Davis was showing some signs last year and getting run on specials before he got cheap shot KO'ed.  

I'll look at some video and read up on the guy.

Again..... thanks

Well Milliner needs to actually be in shape before people anoint the guy as a Top CB.

We are hopeful, I don't think too many people are annointing him.  I know Rex tweaked the kid, but tight hamstrings do not necessarily indicate being out of shape. It's not like the kid showed up all like Haynesworth or Russell. 

We are hopeful, I don't think too many people are annointing him.  I know Rex tweaked the kid, but tight hamstrings do not necessarily indicate being out of shape. It's not like the kid showed up all like Haynesworth or Russell.

I've kinda anointed him. I'll be disappointed if he's not a quality #1 CB this year - for the whole year. I'm warming up to the Jets' talent at the position, but the injury histories of Milliner, Patterson, and McDougle are a little concerning.

I am hopeful and maybe he was taking it easy due to the injured hammie, but the kid does have a history of these nagging injuries.  He might not miss games, but playing like crap because of one isn't a good thing either.   Plus he pretty much stunk for 90+ percent of the season last year,  you would expect him to come out ready to prove he is the #1.   Rex didn't seem to be happy with him at all.   Maybe it was Rex being Rex, but I think it's more than that.  There probably was some expectation he'd hit the weight room, do some offseason workouts, but he didn't do as Rex wanted.    

It might be nothing, but from what was reported and from what Rex is saying,  Milliner seems to already think of himself as good enough to be #1.  Some players have the talent, but not the work effort.    And it's been months.   If he has been relaxing for months, how is he going to go hardcore for a month?   It's June.  He should have had some recovery since December.    There are also a lot of hamstring injuries due to the fact people don't pay attention to actually working that muscle.    I'm sure he has trainers helping him, but again,  Rex seemed a bit pissed in a PC way that Milliner came in with excuses instead of improvements.

Archived