NY Jets Minicamp - Day Two

Maxman

Colon is moving pretty well. That is good to see.

Wide receiver Greg Salas is the Shorts All-Pro for the Jets today.

Geno to salad for a long TD. #nyjets

Vick looks terrible today. Just got picked off by Jaiquawn Jarrett #nyj

If Michael Vick's name was Michael Smith, he might be in danger of getting cut right now.

For those asking, Geno Smith looked OK today. Some good moments. Too quick to pull down and run, though.

At least to me, Michael Vick's body language has been "off" in these workouts. Looks like he doesn't want to be here and heart isn't in it.

From all reports, Vick has looked impressive when he scrambles or pulls the ball down and runs.  Now it's coming out that Geno is quick to pull down and run. Perhaps this whole mentor thing might be rubbing off on Geno in the wrong way. 

Colon is moving pretty well. That is good to see.

Wide receiver Greg Salas is the Shorts All-Pro for the Jets today.

Geno to salad for a long TD. #nyjets

Vick looks terrible today. Just got picked off by Jaiquawn Jarrett #nyj

If Michael Vick's name was Michael Smith, he might be in danger of getting cut right now.

For those asking, Geno Smith looked OK today. Some good moments. Too quick to pull down and run, though.

At least to me, Michael Vick's body language has been "off" in these workouts. Looks like he doesn't want to be here and heart isn't in it.

One bad practice and Vick doesn't want to be here and his heart is not in it.  And so it begins.  

Why anyone would want to play in NY is beyond me. 

From all reports, Vick has looked impressive when he scrambles or pulls the ball down and runs.  Now it's coming out that Geno is quick to pull down and run. Perhaps this whole mentor thing might be rubbing off on Geno in the wrong way. 

This is actually why I was against the Vick signing, even in spite of liking the idea of the Jets bringing in a veteran at the position.  Throughout Vick's NFL career he has shown a great deal of the traits that you don't want your QB to have.  Even if you say it worked for him, he'd still have to very much be considered the exception to the rule.

I don't think so, these are just drills. Geno rolled out of the pocket a lot today and since there was no blitzing the sideline was wide open.  He scrambled out of bounds for a few yard gain on a few plays.  I don't see this leading to him being a different QB long term.

This is actually why I was against the Vick signing, even in spite of liking the idea of the Jets bringing in a veteran at the position.  Throughout Vick's NFL career he has shown a great deal of the traits that you don't want your QB to have.  Even if you say it worked for him, he'd still have to very much be considered the exception to the rule.

yep, it really set nick foles back.   

yep, it really set nick foles back.   

Obviously Geno is not doomed for failure simply for being on the same field as Vick, I just don't think there's much to learn from the guy.  Unless Foles learned from Vick how to be a completely different player than himself, which I personally doubt, I simply think Vick's not likely to be much of a mentor.  And frankly I never thought much of him as a starter to begin with, so there's that too.

Obviously Geno is not doomed for failure simply for being on the same field as Vick, I just don't think there's much to learn from the guy.  Unless Foles learned from Vick how to be a completely different player than himself, which I personally doubt, I simply think Vick's not likely to be much of a mentor.  And frankly I never thought much of him as a starter to begin with, so there's that too.

completely agree with you, and don't forget the dog killing, and ron mexico / herpes thing.  

From an article by Bart Hubbunch

“Early December was when it first started happening,” Lee said. “He started finishing plays and knowing where people were.”

Added Mornhinweg: “The last part of the year, Geno really played at a high level.”

The difference, Lee said, was Smith’s willingness in December to start tucking and running instead of forcing throws that could lead to backbreaking turnovers. Smith ran for more yards (188) in December than he did the season’s first three months combined.

“He started hurting people by running more,” Lee said. “That wasn’t something he thought about in college. He was a pocket passer.”

http://nypost.com/2014/06/18/no-controversy-geno-will-get-majority-of-first-team-snaps/

Smith isn't so much being mentored into running more, he is being heavily coached  into running rather then putting the ball up for grabs.  

If he going to succeed that is how he will have to play. 

From an article by Bart Hubbunch

“Early December was when it first started happening,” Lee said. “He started finishing plays and knowing where people were.”

Added Mornhinweg: “The last part of the year, Geno really played at a high level.”

The difference, Lee said, was Smith’s willingness in December to start tucking and running instead of forcing throws that could lead to backbreaking turnovers. Smith ran for more yards (188) in December than he did the season’s first three months combined.

“He started hurting people by running more,” Lee said. “That wasn’t something he thought about in college. He was a pocket passer.”

http://nypost.com/2014/06/18/no-controversy-geno-will-get-majority-of-first-team-snaps/

Smith isn't so much being mentored into running more, he is being heavily coached  into running rather then putting the ball up for grabs.  

If he going to succeed that is how he will have to play. 

That's a good point, and I think there's a very careful line there though.  When a play isn't there, it's definitely much, much better to take advantage of his speed and make a positive play out of potentially bad situation.  That said, you need to be careful and not push him too much in the opposite direction either, as you don't want a guy who is tucking and running all of the time.  It never seems to work out too well for QBs in the NFL with that method (with injuries being one of the primary concerns).  Geno still needs to be a passer first and foremost, and if he can't do that then he's not going to be the answer for the Jets.

That's a good point, and I think there's a very careful line there though.  When a play isn't there, it's definitely much, much better to take advantage of his speed and make a positive play out of potentially bad situation.  That said, you need to be careful and not push him too much in the opposite direction either, as you don't want a guy who is tucking and running all of the time.  It never seems to work out too well for QBs in the NFL with that method (with injuries being one of the primary concerns).  Geno still needs to be a passer first and foremost, and if he can't do that then he's not going to be the answer for the Jets.

Early as we are here in his career, I'll take him giving up on the pass a little early here and there if the result is a reduction in turnovers. I think that's what we saw late in the season last year. And really, that's pretty much Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson's game. For a guy who really didn't run in college, I thought he did a nice job with it.

Obviously, you want him to develop as a passer. That's the key. But if he can get first downs with his feet in the short term, I'll take it. I think we might see a little less of that with Chris Johnson on the field, though. Why run it yourself if you can safely dump it off to a pair of speedy, reliable hands?

Archived