Goodson released.

BroadwayJets

Mike Goodson

The New York Jets have released running back Mike Goodson.  Earlier today they tweeted:

Goodson has missed the voluntary OTA workouts and did not report to the mandatory minicamp so far this week.  So this move was not a surprise. You can read more about Mike Goodson in our

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
jLYjIhOVBrA

View the full article

Apparently he's missing and the team has lost contact with him?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/11102926/new-york-jets-cut-mike-goodson-minicamp-no-show

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets coach Rex Ryan and several players expressed deep concern Wednesday for the welfare of troubled running back Mike Goodson, who was released earlier in the day after failing to report to a mandatory minicamp.

The team has lost contact with Goodson, who is facing up to 10 years in prison if convicted of a year-old gun-possession charge. Ryan said he hasn't seen or talked to Goodson in two or three months.

Some of his former teammates are alarmed that he hasn't responded to any calls or text messages.

"That's the scariest part," guard Willie Colon said. "Usually, a guy will send you a text and say, 'I'm OK.' Not to hear anything is scary in itself. All you can do is send out prayers to him."

Goodson has dealt with off-the-field issues -- he served a four-game suspension last season for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy -- and the fear in the locker room is that his problems have resurfaced.

"The concern is what kind of state he might be in, where he might be and things he might be doing," wide receiver David Nelson said. "Guys are trying to check in on him, making sure that stuff isn't reoccurring and taking over."

Goodson's agent, Kennard McGuire, didn't return messages seeking comment. In a statement released Tuesday, when Goodson failed to report to minicamp, McGuire said, "Mike must be accountable and responsible for his own actions and comprehend not only effective communication but simple communication."

Goodson has a court date scheduled next Thursday in Morristown, N.J.

Ryan said he last saw Goodson at the start of the offseason program, when he showed up to rehab his surgically repaired knee. Several players said they haven't seen him since the end of last season.

"There's no question, it concerns me," Ryan said. "I've tried to reach out to him but haven't been able to make contact with him."

The Jets expected big things out of Goodson, whom they signed last year to a three-year, $6.9 million contract. He was arrested two months later, starting a downward spiral. Several players said their concern for Goodson transcends football.

"For somebody who has just gone MIA -- nobody can get a hold of him and nobody knows where he is -- that takes it to a different level and it goes beyond football," Nelson said. "Guys aren't reaching out to him because of football. They're reaching out to him because they care about him. They want to know if he's OK.

"That's the element everybody is talking about. At this point, nobody is talking about, 'Why isn't he here practicing?' I think the fear is that we haven't heard from him. That's not a good sign, honestly."

Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson said Goodson is "being real private about the situation." Asked if it's a sad situation, Richardson said, "I don't think it's sad. It's just a guy who needs help."

Goodson also failed to attend the voluntary portion of the offseason. The Jets released him with a "left squad" designation, a technicality that may allow them to avoid paying an injury settlement. Goodson is eight months removed from major knee surgery.

"This has kind of been building," general manager John Idzik said. "It was an accumulation of things. These aren't knee-jerk decisions you make. You think them through thoroughly. In Mike's case, we gave him what we felt was a very good ground to become a Jet and become productive. In the end, it didn't work out."

Goodson's downturn began in May 2013. He and an acquaintance were found by New Jersey Police at 3 a.m. on a major highway, their vehicle stopped in a middle lane. Police say Goodson was incoherent and had vomited on himself. He was allegedly in possession of a semiautomatic weapon, a hollow-point bullet and marijuana.

He was indicted in November on the gun charge. After the four-game suspension, Goodson returned to the team, played two games and blew out his knee. He could be suspended again if he's found to be in violation of the personal-conduct policy.

Despite the pending charges, Idzik said as recently as April 30 that he expected Goodson to be on the roster. The organization lost patience; the minicamp no-show was the breaking point.

"This league is all based on showing up on time," owner Woody Johnson said. "One minute later, you're late. You have to respect that. ... [Goodson is] a talented player, but you're no good to the team if you're not here."

On Tuesday, Ryan was clearly miffed by Goodson's absence, saying he hadn't spoken to him. Ryan said "the situation will be dealt with." And it was.

Idzik declined to say whether the Jets will attempt to recoup a portion of Goodson's signing bonus ($1 million) or whether he's concerned about Goodson filing an injury grievance. Idzik wouldn't say whether he has been in touch with Goodson, who subjected himself to $69,000 in fines by skipping a mandatory team event.

"Suffice it to say we gave Mike ample opportunities," Idzik said.

This was an embarrassing chapter for the Jets, who signed Goodson despite various red flags. He encountered legal issues in his previous NFL stops with the Carolina Panthers and Oakland Raiders. He was sued for paternity and child support by three women from August 2010 to May 2011. He has fathered at least six children with those women, one of whom he lived with for two years, records show.

In addition, Goodson didn't pay a $56,465 bill at a Houston-area jewelry store. The store sued him, and after interest and fees, he ended up paying $84,423.44. The amount was garnished from his Raiders paychecks, according to records in Texas and California.

"We're in the human business," Idzik said. "We certainly do our due diligence ... but you're really not going to know for sure until you get that individual in your organization."

Plaxico without the talent.

Ivory- CJ2K and others will be just fine.

Yeah, RB is seriously the least of the Jets' concerns on offense, even without Goodson.  Forgetting that they seem to have some degree of appreciation for both Green and Richardson, at his worst, Johnson adds a serious threat in the passing game at RB, Ivory is of course an extremely tough runner, and despite the lack of love he gets, Powell is a very solid all around player at the position.  The guy is pretty much Thomas Jones Part II, which while not spectacular, is a very nice option to have, especially since he can spell both Ivory and Johnson, as either a runner or receiver.

I still can't figure out what it was that Goodson did, other than being in the company of the wrong person, and he fell victim to a law that says (more or less) anything in the open in the car belongs to everyone in the car.  It wasn't his car, he wasn't driving (he was in the passenger's seat), and the gun belonged to his 2-time loser friend.  Also probably possession of an amount of weed or some other narcotic in quantities that make it obvious it was for personal use rather than distribution. I didn't read any of the public documents, so I don't know what else there is (from what I've read).  But because the gun was in the open instead of shoved into his buddy's pants, he's going to do time and have his life ruined forever?

I get making an example of people, but his profession is one that more or less ends when he turns 30.  A RB rarely gets a 3rd contract if he plays out his first 2 (often they never get a 2nd one), and Goodson had just signed what would surely be the only lucrative contract of his life. Making an example of Goodson at age 26 is not equivalent to making an example of him at age 35.  

I doubt I'd have much in common with Goodson on a personal level, and yes you lay in the bed you've made for yourself, but I still can't help feel at least a little bad for him.  In the end, he just went out with a childhood buddy to celebrate and get wasted one night after scoring a multi-million dollar contract with a local pro football team.

The not showing up part is all on him, and if he made the team (over Powell) it's not uncommon for NFL players to get special treatment under the law. But everyone involved may have already heard from the DA that he's going to be made an example of and he's not going to get to plea down (or not by much).  Still, none of this would have happened if not for "it belongs to everyone in the car even though we all know otherwise" laws.

Anyway, what a waste.

I still can't figure out what it was that Goodson did, other than being in the company of the wrong person, and he fell victim to a law that says (more or less) anything in the open in the car belongs to everyone in the car.  It wasn't his car, he wasn't driving (he was in the passenger's seat), and the gun belonged to his 2-time loser friend.  Also probably possession of an amount of weed or some other narcotic in quantities that make it obvious it was for personal use rather than distribution. I didn't read any of the public documents, so I don't know what else there is.  But because the gun was in the open instead of shoved into his buddy's pants, he's going to do time and have his life ruined forever?

I get making an example of people, but his profession is one that more or less ends when he turns 30.  A RB rarely gets a 3rd contract if he plays out his first 2 (often they never get a 2nd one), and Goodson had just signed what would surely be the only lucrative contract of his life. Making an example of Goodson at age 26 is not equivalent to making an example of him at age 35. 

I doubt I'd have much in common with Goodson on a personal level, and yes you lay in the bed you've made for yourself, but I still can't help feel at least a little bad for him.  In the end, he just went out with a childhood buddy to celebrate and get wasted one night after scoring a multi-million dollar contract with a local pro football team.

What a waste.

I don't feel bad for him at all.    Young, talented, and rich with the world by the balls and he flushed it away without a second thought.  

by all accounts this is a guy who has never taken responsibility for anything in his life.   6 kids by 3 women, doesn't pay his bills, and doesn't even return the phone calls of a team that cut him a $1M check for 2 months of work.     I struggle to come up with anything likeable about the guy at all.  

I don't feel bad for him at all.    Young, talented, and rich with the world by the balls and he flushed it away without a second thought.  

by all accounts this is a guy who has never taken responsibility for anything in his life.   6 kids by 3 women, doesn't pay his bills, and doesn't even return the phone calls of a team that cut him a $1M check for 2 months of work.     I struggle to come up with anything likeable about the guy at all.

I said a little. He didn't commit a $5M crime IMO.

He did. His $5M crime was not showing up for work.

You know what I meant. If not for the other stuff I'm sure he'd have shown up. He's an imbecile. I think his one quote was something like, "Wait, you mean I haven't been cut yet?"

It was the initial charges and the reality hitting home that he was going to be doing some time, and probably soon at that.

I'm not absolving him. Just that the punishment for his crime is more devastating to him than to others. And he could have very early gotten some type of plea fine + probation almost right away, in which case none of the rest would have happened (except the first 4 games).

You know what I meant. If not for the other stuff I'm sure he'd have shown up. He's an imbecile. I think his one quote was something like, "Wait, you mean I haven't been cut yet?"

It was the initial charges and the reality hitting home that he was going to be doing some time, and probably soon at that.

I'm not absolving him. Just that the punishment for his crime is more devastating to him than to others. And he could have very early gotten some type of plea fine + probation almost right away, in which case none of the rest would have happened (except the first 4 games).

I don't think he ever said that.  Green is the one that tweeted that he got cut when they picked up Richardson and gave him Green's number. I am worried there is more to this, not that he is paying such a stiff penalty.  Not calling his agent or contacting the team?  That seems like the guy may have a real problem and it goes beyond getting drunk with an idiot friend.

I still can't figure out what it was that Goodson did, other than being in the company of the wrong person, and he fell victim to a law that says (more or less) anything in the open in the car belongs to everyone in the car.  It wasn't his car, he wasn't driving (he was in the passenger's seat), and the gun belonged to his 2-time loser friend.  Also probably possession of an amount of weed or some other narcotic in quantities that make it obvious it was for personal use rather than distribution. I didn't read any of the public documents, so I don't know what else there is (from what I've read).  But because the gun was in the open instead of shoved into his buddy's pants, he's going to do time and have his life ruined forever?

The not showing up part is all on him, and if he made the team (over Powell) it's not uncommon for NFL players to get special treatment under the law. But everyone involved may have already heard from the DA that he's going to be made an example of and he's not going to get to plea down (or not by much).  Still, none of this would have happened if not for "it belongs to everyone in the car even though we all know otherwise" laws.

Anyway, what a waste.

Probably should have showed up to the mandatory camp. He avoided the team like the plague. Not the best way to handle required activities and when you are on the bubble.

I don't think he ever said that.  Green is the one that tweeted that he got cut when they picked up Richardson and gave him Green's number. I am worried there is more to this, not that he is paying such a stiff penalty.  Not calling his agent or contacting the team?  That seems like the guy may have a real problem and it goes beyond getting drunk with an idiot friend.

I remember something like that, either in an interview or a tweet or something.

Probably should have showed up to the mandatory camp. He avoided the team like the plague. Not the best way to handle required activities and when you are on the bubble.

He's a total dumbass for not showing up. 

My original "feel a little bad for him" was because of the original incident + charges that set this whole thing in motion.  Everyone's gotten wasted with a buddy. Many have had a "friend" show us something illegal they own.  In terms of crimes, that is the extent that I'm aware of the origin of his undoing.  That's where my sympathy ends for him.

Not showing up for camp? No one's trying to pin that on anyone other than Goodson (I'm certainly not).  The reality is he was probably going to get cut anyway after Chris Johnson was added.  I can't get into another person's head, though his likely has plenty of room inside it for at least one more.  For all we know he caught wind that there's no way he wasn't doing time, and would therefore miss the season. No sense in risking serious injury (or perhaps in his mind, no sense in risking effort) when you're not going to be on the team anyway.  I can't think of another reason 

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/11139553/former-new-york-jets-rb-mike-goodson-fails-show-court-appearance

Mike Goodson is no-show at court
Updated: June 26, 2014, 1:34 PM ET
By Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

Goodson, who was released by the Jets last week with the designation "left squad," could be arrested if he fails to appear in court for a July 24 hearing before Judge Mary G. Whipple.

Goodson's attorney was in court Thursday morning, as was Goodson's co-defendant, Garant Evans.

According to the Newark Star-Ledger, Goodson's acting attorney, Alfred Gellene, said that Goodson was unable to secure a flight from Texas, where he has been since the end of the Jets' season. The reason for the difficulty was "financial issues" Gellene said, according to the report.

Anthony Fusco, Goodson's attorney of record, had no further comment.

Goodson was arrested in May 2013 after being found unresponsive in a vehicle found stopped in the left lane of Route 80. Police found an unregistered gun with a hollow-point bullet in the car, and in November both Goodson and Evans were indicted on possession charges.

New Jersey has some of the strictest weapons laws in the country, and Goodson faces up to 10 years in prison if found guilty.

The Jets signed Goodson to a three-year, $6.9 million contract in March 2013, but he played in only two games before he was released.

The Jets had trouble this offseason getting in touch with Goodson, who did not check in with coach Rex Ryan or doctors despite rehabbing an MCL and ACL tear. When he didn't show up for the team's mandatory minicamp on June 17, the team cut him.

Jets general manager John Idzik was asked if he took too much of a risk on Goodson, who had issues before coming to the Jets.

"We're in the human business," Idzik said after releasing Goodson. "We certainly do our due diligence. You can do as much research as you can, but you're really not going to know for sure until you get that individual in your organization and try to acclimate them to what you want to do."

Did he really say that? I read it here, but I am pretty sure it was just a joke.

Yeah, I have a distinct feeling this may be my fault:

UPDATE:  When asked about his absence from the Jets' mandatory mini-camp, Goodson was quoted as saying "Wait, they haven't cut me yet?  No sh*t."

Archived