The Washington Redskins?!

New York Mick

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

slats, on 19 Jun 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:snapback.png

So you admit that Italians aren't white people... ?

I'm half Sicilian.  Flava Flav and I are practically cousins.

Same here homey. 

Slats is just jealous cause we got so much more than the avg white dude to make the women happy.

Some notes about the original owner of the Redskins, George Preston Marshall, who named the team:

* Born in West Virginia in 1896 (uh-oh).

* Originally owned a basketball team called the Washington Palace Five Laundrymen.

* Bought the Boston Braves football team in 1932, moved team to Washington and named them the Redskins.

* According to professor Charles Ross, for 24 years Marshall was identified as the "leading racist in the NFL".

* The NFL color barrier was broken in 1946.  The Redskins did not sign a black player until 1962.

* Washington Post columnist Shirley Povich once mocked Marshall, writing after a game against the Browns that Jim Brown "integrated the end zone", making the score "separate but unequal".

* In 1962 Interior Secretary Stewart Udall and Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy issued an ultimatum - unless Marshall signed a black player, the government would revoke the Redskins' 30-year lease on their new stadium.

* The Redskins finally drafted a black player, Ernie Davis of Syracuse, but he demanded a trade, saying "I won't play for that S.O.B.".  He got his wish and was traded to Cleveland for Bobby Mitchell.  Mitchell thus became the first black player to wear a Redskins uniform in the 1962 season.

Biased against the Koreans too.

Archived