The Washington Redskins?!

New York Mick

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what's going to happen w/ the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.  Isn't that an obvious negative stereotype (drunken Irishman)?  Of course there are Braves, Chiefs, Blackhawks, Seminoles, etc. 

Brave is just the word for a warrior-some find it a stereotype, but I don't think it's intrinsically insulting.  Chief is just the name of a Native American leader.  Blackhawks and Seminoles are in honor of the Native American tribes in the region.  I really don't see anything wrong with those names.  Redskins carries a negative connotation-his skin is not like ours, that kind of thing.

Brave is just the word for a warrior-some find it a stereotype, but I don't think it's intrinsically insulting.  Chief is just the name of a Native American leader.  Blackhawks and Seminoles are in honor of the Native American tribes in the region.  I really don't see anything wrong with those names.  Redskins carries a negative connotation-his skin is not like ours, that kind of thing.

I think the Indians are just as bad as Washington. Not the name, which is merely geographically idiotic, but more so the logo, which is basically a native american version of the Coon Chicken sign from Ghost World.

I think the Indians are just as bad as Washington. Not the name, which is merely geographically idiotic, but more so the logo, which is basically a native american version of the Coon Chicken sign from Ghost World.

Nothing will ever top Florida State's attempt to be more culturally sensitive by changing Chief Fullabull's name to Chief Wampumstompum.

It may even be worse than that:

This association can evoke strongly negative sentiments. In a 2014 interview, one activist commented:

The name itself actually dates back to a time when the Native American population was being exterminated, and bounty hunters were hired to kill Native American people. One could make a great living off of just killing Native American people. And there was a tier effect that was paid out. The highest paid was for a Native American man and then a woman and then a child.  Based off of that, there were news clippings and
flyers that were posted
asking people to go out to kill Indians and bring back the red skin. So, in order to show that they made their kill, they had to bring back a scalp or their skin.  That’s where the "Redskin" word has been passed down.
So, in our community, we do not use that word.

I find this sh*t hysterical. White people are crazy. I love you guys.

It really is hilarious. Trying to decide what is and isn't offensive to other cultures. Typical.

The other day I saw this interview where 2 Native Americans said they were cool with the name, so there you go.

It really is hilarious. Trying to decide what is and isn't offensive to other cultures. Typical.

The other day I saw this interview where 2 Native Americans said they were cool with the name, so there you go.

Were they more than 3/5 of a vote each?

Redskins fans say yes (in this case).

I'm kinda torn

I don't believe they should be forced to do it as a privately owned enterprise.  they market/people/fans should dictate that bye protest, boycott, etc

but it would be cool if they just decided to do it

It may even be worse than that:

This association can evoke strongly negative sentiments. In a 2014 interview, 
one activist
 commented:

The name itself actually dates back to a time when the Native American population was being exterminated, and bounty hunters were hired to kill Native American people. One could make a great living off of just killing Native American people. And there was a tier effect that was paid out. The highest paid was for a Native American man and then a woman and then a child.  Based off of that, there were news clippings and
flyers that were posted
asking people to go out to kill Indians and bring back the red skin. So, in order to show that they made their kill, they had to bring back a scalp or their skin.  That’s where the "Redskin" word has been passed down.
So, in our community, we do not use that word.

Wow!

My softball team the Brooklyn Jewbags has caught a lot of flack lately but I can produce a report showing how supportive people where towards the Jewish faith and bags. Bags came in at a 90% approval rating. I think it's a prideful name and the people have spoken

My softball team the Brooklyn Jewbags has caught a lot of flack lately but I produce a report showing how supportive people where towards the the Jewish faith and bags. Bags came in at a 90% approval rating. I think it's a prideful name and the people have spoken

I can think of one person that would absolutely love this name.

Some guy who works in the marketing industry just called Francesa and said that the wheels are in motion (test marketing?) to move forward with the nickname "Washington Hogs."

Wouldnt this be offensive to those of us who eat too much?

Some notes about the original owner of the Redskins, George Preston Marshall, who named the team:

* Born in West Virginia in 1896 (uh-oh).

* Originally owned a basketball team called the Washington Palace Five Laundrymen.

* Bought the Boston Braves football team in 1932, moved team to Washington and named them the Redskins.

* According to professor Charles Ross, for 24 years Marshall was identified as the "leading racist in the NFL".

* The NFL color barrier was broken in 1946.  The Redskins did not sign a black player until 1962.

* Washington Post columnist Shirley Povich once mocked Marshall, writing after a game against the Browns that Jim Brown "integrated the end zone", making the score "separate but unequal".

* In 1962 Interior Secretary Stewart Udall and Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy issued an ultimatum - unless Marshall signed a black player, the government would revoke the Redskins' 30-year lease on their new stadium.

* The Redskins finally drafted a black player, Ernie Davis of Syracuse, but he demanded a trade, saying "I won't play for that S.O.B.".  He got his wish and was traded to Cleveland for Bobby Mitchell.  Mitchell thus became the first black player to wear a Redskins uniform in the 1962 season.

Some notes about the original owner of the Redskins, George Preston Marshall, who named the team:

* Born in West Virginia in 1896 (uh-oh).

* Originally owned a basketball team called the Washington Palace Five Laundrymen.

* Bought the Boston Braves football team in 1932, moved team to Washington and named them the Redskins.

* According to professor Charles Ross, for 24 years Marshall was identified as the "leading racist in the NFL".

* The NFL color barrier was broken in 1946.  The Redskins did not sign a black player until 1962.

* Washington Post columnist Shirley Povich once mocked Marshall, writing after a game against the Browns that Jim Brown "integrated the end zone", making the score "separate but unequal".

* In 1962 Interior Secretary Stewart Udall and Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy issued an ultimatum - unless Marshall signed a black player, the government would revoke the Redskins' 30-year lease on their new stadium.

* The Redskins finally drafted a black player, Ernie Davis of Syracuse, but he demanded a trade, saying "I won't play for that S.O.B.".  He got his wish and was traded to Cleveland for Bobby Mitchell.  Mitchell thus became the first black player to wear a Redskins uniform in the 1962 season.

#tradition

I think it's terrible that while all the other teams in all the other sports both pro and college were coming up with cool nicknames for their teams, this guy decides on one designed to make his team look as weak as possible. I think there was a rumor that in 1946 he desperately wanted to change the name to the Auschwitz Gas Chamber Victims but the Redskin brand was already established. #Berkowitzescanmaketheseanalogies

political views aside, seems inevitable that the outrage (manufactured or otherwise) will force a change. once the advertisers bail, the profit motive will prevail.

Don't see the advertisers bailing though....not with how popular the Redskins are.

I think it's terrible that while all the other teams in all the other sports both pro and college were coming up with cool nicknames for their teams, this guy decides on one designed to make his team look as weak as possible. I think there was a rumor that in 1946 he desperately wanted to change the name to the Auschwitz Gas Chamber Victims but the Redskin brand was already established. #Berkowitzescanmaketheseanalogies

poor taste... 

Archived