Patriot's may have jets playbook (merged)

faba

e: Brady bragged Pats might have had Jets playbooks

•  
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the League writer
  • Published: June 19, 2014 at 11:51 a.m.
  • Updated: June 19, 2014 at 12:05 p.m.

The Cleveland Browns defensive playbook is apparently thinner than one might expect given coach Mike Pettine's tutelage under the uber-creative Rex Ryan

The lack of girth, Pettine told TheMMQB.com's Greg Bedard, is by design.

"I don't put a lot of graduate-level information in it," Pettine said. "We know in places like New England, it's only a matter of time that they somehow mysteriously end up with our playbook."

Teams guard playbooks as if the latter were the nuclear football. Players must return the playbooks before being cut and nowadays teams can remotely wipe a player's iPad to which one was digitally uploaded.

Still, Pettine told Bedard that at Wes Welker's wedding, Tom Brady bragged to former Jets outside linebackers coach Mike Smith (roommates with Welker at Texas Tech) about how the Patriots "may or may not have had possession" of a couple of Jets defensive playbooks.

"It didn't shock me because Rex would give them out like candy anyway," Pettine said. "He gave one out to (Alabama coach Nick) Saban and I was like, 'Don't you know Saban and Bill (Belichick) are pretty good friends? I have a feeling it's going to end up in New England.'"

Just to be sure key information doesn't up in Foxboro again, Pettine will keep most of the high-level courses out of the original playbooks. 

In the latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast," the guys make the case that multiple teams have closed the gap on the Seahawks and 49ers in the NFC.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter how you view it why would any coach give playbooks old or new out? Mind boggling

Rex went Tyrion on they asses, gave out different versions of the playbook.. find the leak

Let Pettine talk. Who knows what went on? Pettine seems more and more like a dick to me. Rex basically took this guy and mentored him for 10 years and now he talks about Rex like that never happened. If he wanted to say he doesn't trust NE or Belly or whoever, why does he have to bring up something Rex did years ago to do it? Just say it.

The guy is a turd and I bet he was butt hurt on his way out the door when the Jets outed him as Mehta's secret source.

I can't wait to watch the abyss that is the Cleveland Browns swallow him whole. Him and the alcoholic Manziel.   2 years in Cleveland.  3 max. 

Well even if they did have our playbook last year...Brady looked pretty bad in both games against us.

Good point. Welker got married in 2012. Brady had two good games against us in 2012 and then had two of the worst in his career against us last year. 

Rex is ******* awesome!

Let Pettine talk. Who knows what went on? Pettine seems more and more like a dick to me. Rex basically took this guy and mentored him for 10 years and now he talks about Rex like that never happened. If he wanted to say he doesn't trust NE or Belly or whoever, why does he have to bring up something Rex did years ago to do it? Just say it.

The guy is a turd and I bet he was butt hurt on his way out the door when the Jets outed him as Mehta's secret source.

I can't wait to watch the abyss that is the Cleveland Browns swallow him whole. Him and the alcoholic Manziel.   2 years in Cleveland.  3 max. 

Wasn't it Pettine who was the mole on the staff? Maybe now that he's gotten his coaching gig he's deciding to continue to air out some Rex/Jets dirty laundry. If so thats f'ing unprofessional, then again if I was a Browns fan I'd have no problem with it. 

Wasn't it Pettine who was the mole on the staff? Maybe now that he's gotten his coaching gig he's deciding to continue to air out some Rex/Jets dirty laundry. If so thats f'ing unprofessional, then again if I was a Browns fan I'd have no problem with it. 

At the end of the day, we talkin' bout Cleveland man, CLEVELAND. NFL Obscurity. Only franchise that's historically worse than we are.

Now imagine if they didnt have the books (if they do), maybe we could have swept them. When's the last time the Jets even did that?

You're right. If Brady didn't have our playbook, Clyde Gates wouldn't have dropped all of those passes in Week 2.

This just makes Brady look horrible and inept. Now if he had the JETS playbook then how do explain these performances against the JETS in 2013.

CMP  ATT  YDS  CMP%  AVG  LNG  TD  INT QBR   RAT

19      39    185    48.7    4.74    39     1    0    24.2   71.0  

22      46     228   47.8    4.96    30     0    1    29.5   53.5

QBR of 24.2 and 29.5 against the JETS in 2013. Shall we say, not too stellar.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Bill Belichick once got busted for illegally spying on the New York Jets. Now there's a story that says the New England Patriots coach may have obtained a copy of the Jets' playbook from Alabama coach Nick Saban, a close friend -- and an acquaintance of Rex Ryan allegedly has a copy of the Jets' playbook, which coach Rex Ryan gives out "like candy," former assistant Mike Pettine told Sports Illustrated.

The latest chapter of skullduggery between the two rivals was hatched by Cleveland Browns coach Mike Pettine, the Jets defensive coordinator from 2009 to 2012. In an interview with Sports Illustrated's themmqb.com, Pettine suggests that Belichick might have obtained the Jets' playbook through Saban.

At Wes Welker's wedding, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady bragged to Mike Smith, another former Jets assistant, that they may have a copy of the Jets' playbook, according to Pettine. Smith and Welker were college roommates at Texas Tech; Smith is now a member of Pettine's staff.

"It didn't shock me because Rex would give them out like candy anyway," Pettine told the website. "He gave one out to Saban, and I was like, 'Don't you know Saban and Bill are pretty good friends? I have a feeling it's going to end up in New England.'"

Ryan has always spoken highly of Saban, and he has spoken on at least one occasion at a coaches' clinic at Alabama. But Saban and Belichick are extremely tight; Saban was Belichick's defensive coordinator with the Browns from 1991 to 1994.

What would possess Pettine to reveal such sensitive information? In the profile, he explains why he prefers not to have a thick playbook, saying he doesn't like to include "graduate-level information" because of the possibility of it ending up in enemy hands.

"We know in places like New England, it's only a matter of time that they somehow mysteriously end up with our playbook," Pettine said.

Ryan wasn't immediately available for comment. He is scheduled to address the media later Thursday after the Jets' final minicamp practice.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11107433/new-york-jets-playbook-new-england-patriots-possession-mike-pettine-says

You really can't blame the 13-10 loss in week two on the Jets defense. Brady completed less than half his passes that day. 

Yeah, that one was definitely all about Geno's pick-a-delic performance, with an assist going to the interesting development that apparently when a receiver is stripped of a ball about 5 steps after he catches it, that's considered a drop.

My gut says if they did get a playbook, it's basic stuff. I think all the "genius blitz" and formation stuff rex does stays close to the chest. 

I disagree. You ever see that scene in The Waterboy where Jerry Reed bullies Henry Winkler into giving him his playbook, and then Winkler is on the phone in high heels crying to his mom about it? I imagine that's exactly how this whole thing went down.

I disagree. You ever see that scene in The Waterboy where Jerry Reed bullies Henry Winkler into giving him his playbook, and then Winkler is on the phone in high heels crying to his mom about it? I imagine that's exactly how this whole thing went down.

Except of course it was Tom Brady who was wearing the high heels and talking into a phone receiver that wasn't plugged into anything. 

You really can't blame the 13-10 loss in week two on the Jets defense. Brady completed less than half his passes that day. 

This is just one season. We dont know if they had that playbook just this past year. My point is that if this is true then its more like treason on Rex behalf than it was a breach by the Pats. You just dont give your playbook away bro. 

EDIT: Did I just say "treason"???? lol. 

This is just one season. We dont know if they had that playbook just this past year. My point is that if this is true then its more like treason on Rex behalf than it was a breach by the Pats. You just dont give your playbook away bro. 

EDIT: Did I just say "treason"???? lol. 

Yeah... that was kind of ****ed up. 

I also think Pettine talking like this is far worse than any kind of mouth running Rex has ever done. What does Pettine possibly gain from this nonsense?

Archived