Patriot's may have jets playbook (merged)

faba

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to know, just for my own curiosity, do NFL head coaches regularly give out their playbooks? Is that a common occurrence? 

I know that college coaches, have at least in the past, shared coaching clinics and helped each other (out of conference) understand how to run certain styles of offense or defense.

No. Pettine didn't say remotely that. A playbook is not a game plan.

Ah I see.  I guess I just skimmed sourceworxx post and did not realize he made the distinction.  Seems like a ridiculous thing to complain about and makes Pettine seem Mangini-ish which seems a strange direction for the Browns to take.

It looks like absolutely nobody is taking Pettine's side in this little sh*t-show.

Cromartie weighs in:

Antonio Cromartie: Mike Pettine is that kind of person

Count Antonio Cromartie in Rex Ryan's camp on the subject of Playbookgate.

In Greg Bedard's The MMQB profile on Mike Pettine, the Browns coach and former Jets defensive coordinator revealed that Tom Brady once hinted to a New York assistant that the Patriots might have had come into possession of Jets playbooks. Pettine wondered if Ryan's decision to give a playbook to Alabama coach Nick Saban -- a mutual friend of both Ryan and Bill Belichick -- played a role.

Cromartie, who spent the past four seasons in New York before signing with the Cardinals in free agency, downplayed the notion that a loose playbook would provide a significant advantage, then took a swipe at Pettine for good measure.

"I think it's all wanting to make up a story," Cromartie said during a Thursday appearance on NFL Network's NFL Total Access. "Because their team is not getting talked about a lot as other teams. I think that's what it really is.

"I've been around Pettine. Pettine is that kind of person. I've been around him for my first three years in New York. I think it's, you know, something he wants to build about."

The Browns clearly haven't been hurting for publicity since drafting Johnny Manziel. But this time the spotlight is on Pettine, who appears to have hit a rough patch in his relationship with a mentor.

I promise to never again write the word "Playbookgate."

I'll try to get a picture at Barley House tonight. If we're chucking turds over a nonissue like this underage consumption has got to be fair game, right?

I don't know what Barley house is, but I'd avoid any situation that involves the term "underage".  Have fun.

Being fair to Rex, as others have said a playbook is not a gameplan. Suspect Bellicheat has enough tape of Rex's defenses that he has a pretty good idea what they're doing. Saban and Bellicheat are scummy enough to share it, but it's probably of no more value than game tape. All these guys are watching what everyone does and copying it or trying to figure out how to beat it. Not even Ryan is such a silly goose as to hand out any gameplan.

I'll try to get a picture at Barley House tonight. If we're chucking turds over a nonissue like this underage consumption has got to be fair game, right?

I don't know what Barley house is, but I'd avoid any situation that involves the term "underage".  Have fun.

Later on that evening:

how-do-you-do-fellow-kids-steve-buscemi.

Then there’s also the fact that Ryan’s playbooks have been described as being written in hieroglyphics.  (yes, we saw geyno's post, lol)

The current defensive coordinator for the Jets, Dennis Thurman, was asked if he thought it would help an opposing team to have the Jets playbook and said, “No, you have to know what you’re looking at. You have to decode it but I don’t think so.”

Ryan was clearly aggravated by the quotes. He said he didn’t, “know what he’s (Pettine) trying to gain by it,” and seemed most upset about the implications of Saban conspiring against him and the notion that Belichick and the Patriots gained an unfair advantage. Ryan praised Belichick repeatedly and said to suggest that any success he’s had didn’t come on his own merit is disrespectful and ridiculous.

“Again it’s an old playbook, absolutely. It doesn’t have specific things. When you get into it, there’s not specific numbers. There’s not all this. Everything changes. Like I said, each week is totally different and I could show you examples of it. Every time we play New England, the game plan is totally different each week.” Ryan said, “Each time you play them, them specifically. That’s part of the chess match. So if you think that we’re just going to go out and dial in, here’s what we did two years ago, or whatever, that’s not the case.

Former NY Jets CB Antonio Cromartie says Mike Pettine wanted to 'make up a story' Cromartie’s argument that Pettine was trying to bring attention to the Browns is a pretty tough one to make: the Browns have gotten plenty of attention since drafting Johnny Manziel in the first round last month.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/cro-book-pettine-full-stories-article-1.1838398#ixzz35HiBh3pe

Rex Ryan wasn’t the only person who used to work with Mike Pettine who tore into the Browns coach for his role in “PlaybookGate.” Antonio Cromartie played under Pettine and Ryan for three seasons with the Jets and clearly sided with his former head coach on the issue. Pettine dominated Thursday’s NFL news by revealing to MMQB.com that Tom Brady bragged in 2012 that the Patriots may have had a copy of the Jets defensive playbook.

“I think it’s all wanting to make up a story,” Cromartie said of Pettine on NFL Network on Thursday. “Because their team is not getting talked about a lot as other teams. I think that’s what it really is.”

“I’ve been around Pettine,” added Cromartie, who is now with the Cardinals. “Pettine is that kind of person.”

Cromartie’s argument is a pretty tough one to make: the Browns have gotten plenty of attention since drafting Johnny Manziel in the first round last month. Even beyond that, Cromartie’s words should be taken with a grain of salt: he and Pettine used to butt heads even when they were part of the same team.

Pettine said Ryan, his longtime pal, once gave Alabama coach Nick Saban a playbook — and Pettine warned that Bill Belichick and Saban are close friends. The playbook story, and that Pettine told it, clearly irked Ryan, who didn’t hide that he was upset with his former defensive coordinator. Ryan also said he did not think any basic playbooks could give the Patriots an advantage.

But what about Pettine?

“It’s only the skeleton,” Pettine told ProFootballTalk on Friday. “Not the meat on the bones.”

But that doesn’t mean it has no value. “We’re all in the business of gathering information,” Pettine said. “If I can get someone’s blueprint for how they build their offense or defense, of course I’m going to look at it.”

“It’s a credit that (the Patriots) have been able to get that information,” Pettine added. “I didn’t mean to imply it was gathered illegally. . . . To me, it’s a sign of a smart team. We’re not actively pursuing playbooks, but when they fall in your laps, you’ll study it.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/20/san-diego-chargers-afc-west/

2. I should have explained to the general public that having playbooks means absolutely nothing—especially a defensive playbook (there are only so many ways to run an open fire zone blitz, and they’re all on tape anyway). I am also in possession of a few Jets playbooks, along with many other NFL teams, including the Patriots. Funny thing is not one person on Twitter asked me to explain the significance of that small part of the story, until a story was posted some four hours after my story was out. If you cover the NFL and think that having another team’s playbook (outside of an individual weekly game plan, which no one said anything about) has any relevance, either you’re new on the beat, don’t know the sport you cover very well, or just grab any appearance of controversy for clicks without regard of the actual facts.

Translation: author's intent in the first place was to grab the appearance of controversy for clicks without regard of the actual facts, was since informed otherwise, and is now pretending to have known better all along. Pettine wouldn't have made something out of nothing to take a gratuitous shot at Rex if he didn't know that the blowhard reporters would in turn duly report it as an actual thing.

Translation: author's intent in the first place was to grab the appearance of controversy for clicks without regard of the actual facts, was since informed otherwise, and is now pretending to have known better all along. Pettine wouldn't have made something out of nothing to take a gratuitous shot at Rex if he didn't know that the blowhard reporters would in turn duly report it as an actual thing.

MMQB.com ooozes douche.

" I should have explained to the general public that having playbooks means absolutely nothing". No they have some limited value, which you could've expalined in a paragraph or 2 in the original story. But then the beer and coffee reviews that are the meat of his gibberish would've been cut. . But King is such a overarching slurper that he saw his access to several franchises was  about to rightly be cut for abject doucheiness that NOW he wants to take the whole thing back. So he can still schmooze and BS . But he already cut off in New England(as well as by both manning brothers), and doubt he figures to be very welcome in Florham Park, Cleveland and Baltimore. Which is a good thing. He is a cluless jock-sniffing tool.

Archived