Jags release Jason Babin

AFJF

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11106551/jason-babin-released-jacksonville-jaguars

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Jaguars have released veteran defensive end Jason Babin just three months after signing him to a three-year contract.

More from ESPN.com

Veteran defensive end Jason Babin, who was released during minicamp, was a victim of a Jaguars youth movement, Michael DiRocco writes. Story

The 34-year-old Babin led the Jaguars with 7.5 sacks last season and has 62.5 in his career. He was going to be fighting for a roster spot in training camp because of the addition of Chris Clemons and the continued development of 2012 second-round pick Andre Branch and former practice squad player Ryan Davis.

The Jaguars claimed Babin off waivers from Philadelphia in November 2012. He was scheduled to make $6 million in 2014 and 2015 but voided the final two years of his contract because of a rule in the new collective bargaining agreement that allows a vested veteran claimed after the trading deadline -- which the Jaguars did in 2012 -- to declare themselves a free agent after the season following the season in which he was claimed.

Two days after he voided his deal, Babin signed a three-year contract worth $7.275 million that included a $500,000 signing bonus. Babin also received a $75,000 workout bonus but was also scheduled to earn a $500,000 roster bonus if he made the 53-man roster for the season opener.

"This was my first choice all along," Babin said after signing his new contract. "During free agency there's always conversations and talks and other things with other teams but ultimately this is where I wanted to be this is where I wanted to finish my career out."

That's not going to happen now, but the timing of the release allows Babin plenty of time to sign with another team before training camp begins

Those early free agency signings aren't always well thought out....especially when you are the Jags.

There must be an issue with this guy...he's not a great pass rusher, but he puts up solid sack number on a regular basis, yet nobody wants to keep him around.

Archived