Geno Smith Steps Up

JetNation

Geno Smith

The results on the field will be the only result that matters in the end. If Geno Smith can eliminate turnovers and get this team in the end zone regularly, history will judge him as a good quarterback. When it is the offseason, the only thing a player can do is work hard and try to get better.  This offseason, Geno Smith really seems to be doing that.

What we notice from Geno Smith is that he seems more natural being a leader. He seems more comfortable in his own skin.  We had the opportunity to speak with Geno at his football camp last weekend.  Brandon Dowling spent a few minutes with Geno and the interview aired on JetNation Radio last week.

A leader needs to be accountable but not dwell on the negative. That is exactly what he did after his two interception performance on Thursday at NY Jets minicamp.

It’s practice. It happens. Basically, that’s it.

Make a mistake, learn from it and move on.

The team has four weeks before training camp starts. Geno talked about what can be done during that time.

I’m pretty sure of myself. I’m always going to have confidence in myself solely because I believe in my teammates and my coaching. Really, I’m just continuing to work hard (and) continuing to get better. I was very pleased with the way that we came out and performed this minicamp and (drive0 OTA’s. We competed hard every single day. I really saw guys getting better. It’s a promising sign for us but we’ve just got to take it upon ourselves to continue to work hard. We’ve got four weeks off, but it’s really not an off period. We’ve got to build our bodies. We’ve got to come back in great shape and be in the best condition we can be for this upcoming season.

What really stands out though is what Geno said about Calvin Pryor. He complemented him but sent a sublte message about the trash talk.

On Calvin Pryor…

He’s been great. He’s very humble. He’s very mature for his age. He’s got a ton of skill out there on the field. I’m waiting to see him put pads on because we all know he’s a big hitter. As long as he continues to follow his coaching, follow the leadership of guys like Dave (Harris) and Calvin (Pace) – all those veteran guys, I think he has a bright future here.

On if he has heard Pryor talking trash on the field…

A little bit, but I don’t think he’s really earned that right to talk amongst this locker room. But he does get it in a little bit. I think he knows his place, he knows his role and the more and more he gets comfortable I think you’ll hear him talking a little bit more.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
_H9LYnQ6Wb4

View the full article

QBs Stress Competition and Hard Work, See the Team Continuing to Improve

Vick-Smith.jpg

The Green & White are preparing to take a leave of absence from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in Florham Park before reconvening for training camp at SUNY Cortland late next month.

Before departing, however, both Geno Smith and Michael Vick addressed the media, and both of our could-be No. 1 QBs expressed satisfaction with the minicamp that was.

“I’m just continuing to work hard and continuing to get better,” Smith said. “I was very pleased with the way that we came out and performed this minicamp. We competed hard every single day. I really saw guys getting better. It’s a promising sign for us, but we’ve just got to take it upon ourselves to continue to work hard.”

“I feel good out there. I feel relaxed and feel comfortable each and every day,” Vick said. “It has been a great camp. It has been a great camp for all of us. I think this team is going to be dynamic this year.”

If anyone should qualify as knowing what a "dynamic" offense looks like, it’d be Vick. He is considered one of the most dynamic quarterbacks in league history thanks to his flick-of-the-wrist downfield bombs and his zero-to-60 burst past defenders, and he’s coming from the fast-paced, record-setting Chip Kelly offense in Philadelphia.

Vick did say this offense will be dynamic though, not “is,” and a lot of work still needs to be put in to get there, beginning with consistency.

“It’s not always going to be there,” Vick said. “You are going to have your days where everything is not running smooth. I think as of right now we’re putting in the effort to be the best that we can be day in and day out and that comes from concentration, that comes from discipline and everything that comes along in a good football team.”

The task of finding consistency might be particularly difficult to achieve before the start of the season with Vick and Smith rotating in and out of practice reps with the ones, but the back-and-forth nature won’t be used as an excuse for poor performance by either competitor.

abs-line.jpg

“I think being the quarterback, you have to prepare to win,” Vick said. “You have to be prepared to go in and play at any time. You never know when your number is going to be called. The backups have to prepare like the starters, and I’m not going to say that’s the case, but I want to make sure that I am ready for any opportunity at any given moment.”

“Any time you get reps, it’s beneficial,” Smith said. “You want to get reps. You want to continue to rep it and you can never rep it enough. As many times as I can get reps with the guys and us just getting on the same page, it’s going to be good for our offense.”

While Vick has the advantage of experience in the league with 134 games played, including playoffs, Smith has a 16-0 edge on Vick when it comes to games played with the New York Jets. Smith’s goal now is to use his rookie season as a springboard into year two.

“I’m just trying to continue to build on that,” Smith said, “continue to improve, be a sponge, soak up every single day and every single rep and just get better. I think we’ll be better as an offense, but it takes a ton of hard work and we’re really only just getting started.”

Archived