Foundation of Pettine's anger/bitterness (ingame issues)

SouthernJet

I always find it odd that we don't regard him the same way Knicks fans regard Dolan. The bullsh*t problems with this organization year after year have always begun right at the top.

I always find it odd that we don't regard him the same way Knicks fans regard Dolan. The bullsh*t problems with this organization year after year have always begun right at the top.

IMO, the Knicks are an historical franchise that people expect to compete for titles more often than not, whereas there are zero expectations with the Jets. We hate Dolan for mismanaging one of the premier brands in sport. As long as Woody doesn't move his godforsaken franchise to Vancouver, he can maintain.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, the Knicks are an historical franchise that people expect to compete for titles more often than not, whereas there are zero expectations with the Jets. We hate Dolan for mismanaging one of the premier brands in sport. As long as Woody doesn't move his godforsaken franchise to Vancouver, he can maintain.

You are up early. Posting during the Walk of Shame w/iPhone?

I think Pettine's overarching complaint is that Rex runs a discipline- and accountability-free clown college, which must have been disgusting for a business-first old-school guy like Pettine, whose father is a coaching lifer. Really, hard to blame the man for throwing his hands up.

If only Rex's dad was a coaching lifer, maybe then he'd have your respect.

May be I'm wrong. This pick over Manziel is going to look really dumb sometime in the very near future. The idea that being some hard-hitting safety is a positive is laughable. Unless you like 15 yard automatic penalties/1st downs, fines and suspensions.Does speak to a coach and front office that really don't understand their own industry and long for some wonderful yesteryear that is not coming back.

Wasn't Seattle's secondary the most penalized in the league last year, or something like that? You don't think the intimidation factor there was a positive? It's great -and necessary- to have solid cover guys, but in the end they're only covering one guy. If there's a maniac flying around TE secondary delivering train wreck hits, though, that impacts every receiver on the field.

I understand some of you guys liking that obnoxious little QB, but I do not understand how a hard hitting safety is now a negative.  It's insane.

A primo QB is way more valuable and rare than a safety.Do we really have to explain this? It's not even close. The 2 positions on any team than lend itself to filling it in with late picks and free agents are OG and safety.Not saying Pryor is horrible;may be he will be Ed Reed. He had better be. Further the idea that it's 1972 and slamming people into oblivion several times a game is necessarily a positive is wrong. If you're playing close to the vet defensive sturggles by design 15 yard of free field position is gonna kill you.When you're 28th/29th in PPG as opposed to 8th/13th (Jets/Seahawks respectively) it will hurt more. Goes back to a franchise's priorities being shaped by those of it's coach.

It's fine that he's a hard hitting safety, but if all he is is a hard hitting safety who struggles in coverage, well, you can get those guys anywhere. Meanwhile, if Carr or Manziel or Bridgewater emerge as a big QB in this league, it'll be a tough pill to swallow.

A primo QB is way more valuable and rare than a safety.Do we really have to explain this? It's not even close. The 2 positions on any team than lend itself to filling it in with late picks and free agents are OG and safety.Not saying Pryor is horrible;may be he will be Ed Reed. He had better be. Further the idea that it's 1972 and slamming people into oblivion several times a game is necessarily a positive is wrong. If you're playing close to the vet defensive sturggles by design 15 yard of free field position is gonna kill you.When you're 28th/29th in PPG as opposed to 8th/13th (Jets/Seahawks respectively) it will hurt more. Goes back to a franchise's priorities being shaped by those of it's coach.

Yay!  You finally explained it to me in small words so I can understand!  Please let me know when Manziel becomes a "primo QB".  FWIW, 2 safeties went before Manziel and 4 before Bridgewater and Carr.  Too bad none of these teams understood how to fill the secondaries with UDFA and the importance drafting a primo QB, even if he is a mouthy little douche wannabe Fran Tarkenton.  Until one of these guys become a stud, your explanation of the detriment of having a hard hitting safety seems lame.  1. This team is being built on the Seahawks mold.  They do pretty well "slamming people into oblivion".  2.  This kid was not particularly penalized in college.  The idea that he can't or wont' adapt seems silly.  There are plenty of bangers playing successfully at S these days.  

Pryor HAS to be Ed Reed, but we are idiots for not drafting Doug Flutie?

Yay!  You finally explained it to me in small words so I can understand!  Please let me know when Manziel becomes a "primo QB".  FWIW, 2 safeties went before Manziel and 4 before Bridgewater and Carr.  Too bad none of these teams understood how to fill the secondaries with UDFA and the importance drafting a primo QB, even if he is a mouthy little douche wannabe Fran Tarkenton.  Until one of these guys become a stud, your explanation of the detriment of having a hard hitting safety seems lame.  1. This team is being built on the Seahawks mold.  They do pretty well "slamming people into oblivion".  2.  This kid was not particularly penalized in college.  The idea that he can't or wont' adapt seems silly.  There are plenty of bangers playing successfully at S these days.  

I'm thinking Fran Tarkenton.

I repeat... Manziel will win less playoff games than Sanchez.

I'd imagine that Idzik wanted his Earl Thomas pick, and Pryor was the closest thing to it, even if Pryor isn't nearly the athlete that Thomas is. It was a ballsy pick, though. If Manziel, Bridgewater, or Carr become high-level players and Geno continues to flounder, Idzik could lose his job for drafting an obsolete player instead.

Was not a ballsy pick at all. A ballsy pick would've been admitting Geno was a mistake and moving on.

I think Pettine's overarching complaint is that Rex runs a discipline- and accountability-free clown college, which must have been disgusting for a business-first old-school guy like Pettine, whose father is a coaching lifer. Really, hard to blame the man for throwing his hands up.

I'm pretty sure that you can dunk without leaving the ground. That's one hell of a reach you have.

Your AC joint must be in shreds.

But I thought Rex would rather sink the team than upset someone he likes. Read it on this very website.

I also heard here that Pettine was the adult + brains in the room for the Jets.  

He totally looks mature & brilliant here.

Guy got a job as a defensive coordinator right away - and I'm sure it came with Rex's glowing recommendation - and then got a HC job a year later.  No one cares or remembers much that he got the defensive playcalling taken away.  I mean, we remember but no one gives a crap.  He had a total clean slate as a head coach.  Look what the "grownup" does with it before his first summer.  Manages to piss off a HOF coach (however much I dislike him) and his friend/mentor who gave him a chance in his life that no one else would or could.

What a complete friggin' baby.

Sean Payton had the play calling taken away from him with the Giants. Guess it is no biggie.

All the playbook stuff is really a red herring to the real issue here at play.

Most scribes will tell you that Rex/Pettine, once best buds, are barely talking now after the 2012 fall-out.

What was that? 

Many of you know, but some may not.

There were the clubhouse mole to Manish stories which may be true or not, but if they are, it also goes back to 'the foundation of anger'.

In both Rex called play initially, but in 2011 and 2012 as a sign of support and building his resume (not just Rex's lapdog), Rex allowed Pettine to make the Defensive calls/sets during the game.

In both cases, our D was making some bad adjustments, 3rd down snafu's etc, and Rex took playcalling back mid-season. In both cases, the Jets D performed better under Rex's ingame playcalling.

This not only infuriated/embarrased Pettine, but showed him he would never be able to polish his resume w/Jets.

He took Bills job and many folks felt even if that job wasnt there he would have gone college route just to leave Rex.

Carry on :)

so rex confirmed pettine wasn't up to calling the game in 2011 but gave him another chance in 2012 anyway? smh at this clown coach

so rex confirmed pettine wasn't up to calling the game in 2011 but gave him another chance in 2012 anyway? smh at this clown coach

huh ?

people learn and grow.  it's a good thing lombardi wasn't fired after his first season in green bay

But Payton didn't then turn around and take shots at Parcells, despite there being plenty of material.

Ha ha, no. He did, however, become a highly successful coach. I have a sneaking suspicion that history will not repeat itself here. Funny how he is beginning his coaching career in the same place BB did.

well I think the manish leakage and the 2 years proof of 'good at gameplanning with no pressure during week, but bad w/pressure calling plays/making adjustments ingame' was enuf.

I cant recall, but I 'think' it was Joe walton who had same issue. Good at game planning, but sucked ingame / adjustmenst. I read somewhere that Waltons Jets had some lame record of most games led at halftime to end up losing % in NFL history. 

I cant recall, but I 'think' it was Joe walton who had same issue. Good at game planning, but sucked ingame / adjustmenst. I read somewhere that Waltons Jets had some lame record of most games led at halftime to end up losing % in NFL history. 

never seen a halftime Jets lead so cannot relate. games jets win they usually lead for only 45 second after the final 48 yard FG is kicked and then we watch the other team march the field and usually score but not always

never seen a halftime Jets lead so cannot relate. games jets win they usually lead for only 45 second after the final 48 yard FG is kicked and then we watch the other team march the field and usually score but not always

sadly, den and indy champ games :(

Archived