Who do you think will be most surprising player cut before Opening Day?

SouthernJet

Goodness gracious, and you guys wonder why I speak mostly in gifs these days.

Boring coversation we've had a thousand times before but he's consistently rated out as one of the best nickel corners in the game.

Either way, I dont know what is so ridiculous about calling him the only reliable corner on the team.  Sure, Milliner looked great that last month but he's still a question mark.  Patterson is an egg shell back there.  McDougle is a rookie.  Walls and Dowling surely arent reliable.

Wilson has at least manned the #2 spot when Revis went out and did it well enough to have one of the best D's vs. the pass in the league.

So yeah, he's not going to get cut because he's the only reliable corner on the team.

Boring coversation we've had a thousand times before but he's consistently rated out as one of the best nickel corners in the game.

Either way, I dont know what is so ridiculous about calling him the only reliable corner on the team.  Sure, Milliner looked great that last month but he's still a question mark.  Patterson is an egg shell back there.  McDougle is a rookie.  Walls and Dowling surely arent reliable.

Wilson has at least manned the #2 spot when Revis went out and did it well enough to have one of the best D's vs. the pass in the league.

So yeah, he's not going to get cut because he's the only reliable corner on the team.

:face:

There is zero chance McDougle gets cut.  That would be beyond a huge surprise. He'd probably have to be dealing crack to his teammates.  I think they'd be more likely to cut Milliner.

Agreed.

Dont see a scenario where Wilson is cut.  He's the only reliable corner on the team right now.

I'm not sure if any of these are a surprise but I could see Jacoby Ford, Jaiqwan Jarrett and Matt Simms all getting cut.

Matt Simms because he sucks and Taj Boyd is better.

Jaiqwan Jarrett because he's the odd man out.

Jacoby Ford I just dont see his place on the team.  He's already WR#5 (behind Decker, Hill, Nelson, Kerley) and Saunders is pretty much going to be the retuner battling with Evans for WR#5.  Ford doesnt contribue anything other than return and some WR which I dont think he'll win over the rookies.

This.

• 3 weeks later...

If bad preseason/camp, Stephen Hill?

Colon if injury doesnt heal well?

Tommy Bohanon could be cut. This kid Chad Young from SDSU can also catch, not only is he an extremely good blocker but he lays the wood on potential tacklers. Bohanon, though a very good pass catcher out of the backfield has been reported as being "terrible" last year in pass blocking. If Chad Young can show that he can keep defenders out of the face of Geno and slip out for the pass as well as eliminating the first defender attempting to tackle the running back then Tommy Bohanon will be looking for another gig elsewhere. Check out his highlight tape. Dude is a man amongst boys, and he's a threat to run the ball and pick up yards up the gut. He also wears #40, which he does also look a lot like Mike Alstott with his pads. 

Not that I'm expecting any or all to get cut (this is a surprise thread), but...

On defense, surprising/unlikely but not impossible:
Pace (Bart Scott's input notwithstanding), if enough others step up. Not much guaranteed $, and though he's cheap enough to be pure depth, he's not going to play ST.

Landry (think he sticks though, even if he's not starting)

Barnes (especially if he isn't near 100%)

On offense:

Powell (not likely but very possible. At his cap # he needs a good camp.)

Nelson (he was decent last year, and everyone's jerking him off, but he could get cut)

Boyd (would be a surprise because he was the HC's pick. And because Simms sucks.)

More likely to be a surprise? (Semi-surprises at best):

Hill

Ford (there's going to be 1-2 WR surprises because we simply have too many)

Bohanon (as mentioned by others)

Id think Dawan Landry and Antwan Barnes are both in trouble. I think the Jets will desperately try to unload Stephen Hill for a late draft pick.

Interesting list. Is money involved here?

I guess I could see Landry with Prior and Allen probably trusted to start, and wanting to get a little younger there. It's been sounding like they're counting on Barnes coming back, though. God knows they can use the pass rush help - unless they're very confident that Coples is ready to man that spot, and they really like Trevor Reilly (listed at 225lbs?). So yeah, possible.

But Hill is one of those guys that the coaches have talked up a little bit. Sure, they could be doing that to promote some trade interest, but Hill just turned 23 in April, is still 6'4", fast, and a model citizen. I'd really be surprised if they gave up on him for something like a sixth rounder. I know how he's viewed around here, but that just seems like giving up on him too early.

The Jets may be sick of Hill, but I'd have to imagine somebody would be willing to take a chance on him.  Hell the Chiefs are still holding out hope for A.J. Jenkins and everything they say about him holds true doubly for HIll.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/4/6/5585402/aj-jenkins-kansas-city-chiefs-breakout-season

Could AJ Jenkins be a late bloomer for the Kansas City Chiefs?

By Matt Conner on Apr 6 2014, 7:19a 707 

20130924_hcs_sy4_061.0_standard_709.0.jp
Howard Smith-USA TODAY Sports

The Chiefs need help at wide receiver and have missed out on a couple free agents. Could A.J. Jenkins be a breakout player at this point?

"Sometimes guys just don't fit, don't work into the system, they get a fresh start and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't." Andy Reid, on the A.J. Jenkins-Jon Baldwin trade

For Kansas City Chiefs fans waiting for more help at wide receiver, this offseason has become one disappointment after another. After a bit of inactivity watching other teams feast early in free agency, the Chiefs watched Emmanuel Sanders back out of a reported deal to sign with the rival Denver Broncos. Then came the DeSean Jackson saga in which the Chiefs were interested yet without the apparent cash to make something happen.

To use another sport's analogy, the Chiefs swung and missed. Twice.

Consequently the team is linked to every second-tier wide receiver in the upcoming NFL Draft. From Marqise Lee to Kelvin Benjamin or Odell Beckham Jr. to Brandin Cooks, the Chiefs have taken each in every mock draft around. No matter the differences, each has been picked by KC for one reason: the hole at wideout. Opposite Dwayne Bowe, the team has a major need for someone else to step in (or up).

One sleeper candidate remains in house, a young speedy wideout who has yet to make good on his draft status as a former first round pick. The Chiefs and 49ers swapped disappointing players in the Jon Baldwin for A.J. Jenkins deal, but Andy Reid has been consistently positive about Jenkins potential going forward. Jenkins finished this season with only 8 catches for 130 yards in his first season with the team. This comes after zero catches in his rookie season with the 49ers.

THERE'S LITTLE STATISTICAL REASON TO HOLD OUT HOPE THAT JENKINS COULD BECOME A MAJOR PLAYER.

There's little statistical reason to hold out hope that Jenkins could become a major player, but stats can be deceiving in those first few years. After all, there are others in recent NFL history who took some time before becoming a successful NFL receiver. For some, it was a new team. For others, it was overcoming injuries. Most of the time, it came down to a coach who properly schemed for the talents of that particular player. That's why it's interesting to pay attention to Reid's words.

Here's a look at four familiar names who needed some time to blossom in the NFL:

Miles Austin Year Age Games (Starts) Receptions Rec. Yards Touchdowns 2006 22 9 (0) 0 0 0 2007 23 16 (0) 5 76 0 2008 24 12 (0) 13 278 3 2009 25 16 (9) 81 1,320 11

Austin had to wait one more year than what Jenkins has done so far after a disappointing first three years in the league. However it was clear the Cowboys saw enough in Austin's third year to include him in the game plan going forward. A string of nagging injuries cut short his upward trajectory and the Cowboys' investment in Dez Bryant made Austin expendable.

Conclusion: Austin averaged 65 catches, 971 yards and 8 touchdowns over the next four seasons after contributing next to nothing toward the offense for his first three years in the NFL. He's a rare case, but it shows the right scheme could create opportunities for talented young players already on the roster. Also, it helps when you face the 2009 Chiefs defense, who gave up 251 yards to Austin.

92393140__1_.jpg
Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Brian Finneran Year Age Games (Starts) Receptions Rec. Yards Touchdowns 1999 23 3 (0) 2 21 0 2000 24 12 (0) 7 60 0 2001 25 16 (1) 23 491 3 2002 26 16 (16) 56 838 6

Finneran's climb to productive NFL receiver is longer than most after failing to catch on with the Seahawks and Eagles. In fact, Finneran even played for NFL Europe's Barcelona Dragons in '99. The Falcons took a flier and ended up enjoying the rewards. Finneran's ceiling was never as high as others on this list, but he was a fine possession receiver for several years for Atlanta. Unfortunately injuries to knee ligaments limited him from a more productive career.

Conclusion: When Finneran found the slot role and favor of Michael Vick, he proved a great ability to move the chains and gain valuable first downs to keep the offense moving. Again, Finneran proved that a receiver needs the right fit to thrive.

106975081.jpg
Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Joe Horn Year Age Games (Starts) Receptions Rec. Yards Touchdowns 1996 24 9 (0) 2 30 0 1997 25 8 (0) 2 65 0 1998 26 16 (1) 14 198 1 1999 27 16 (1) 35 586 6

This story is an unfortunate one for Chiefs fans, but it's hard to find a better late bloomer at wide receiver in recent NFL history than Joe Horn. After four seasons in Kansas City, the Saints signed Horn as a free agent and enjoyed the spoils of four Pro Bowl seasons, 27 100-yard receiving games and 50 touchdowns in seven seasons. In his first five seasons in the Big Easy, he averaged an incredible 87 receptions, 1,258 yards and 9 touchdowns.

Conclusion: This is the outlier, a player who had four receptions in his first two seasons yet becomes a member of the New Orleans Sports Hall of Fame after a change in scenery. Hard to draw many conclusions here since Horn was a bit deeper into his career, hit free agency and a team took a chance. Still, if Chiefs fans are going to hold out wild hopes for Jenkins, this is the comp they want to make.

161025962.jpg
Andy Cross/The Denver Post via Getty Images

Stevie Johnson Year Age Games (Starts) Receptions Rec. Yards Touchdowns 2008 22 11 (1) 10 102 2 2009 23 5 (0) 2 10 0 2010 24 16 (13) 82 1,073 10 2011 25 16 (16) 76 1,004 7

This one is interesting because Johnson is rumored to be a potential candidate for release from Buffalo. However, he's also a great test case here in that he was limited early in his career by inexperience and a rib injury in 2009. Starting in 2010, however, he broke out and became the first Bills receiver to ever have back-to-back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons. Given the opportunity, he became the dependable target the Bills desperately needed at wideout.

Conclusion: Sometimes it's all about opportunity. The Bills needed someone to step up since Lee Evans couldn't stay healthy and Terrell Owens left. Jenkins sits in the same position, barring other moves by John Dorsey and could find success if he can step into the void.

124725962.jpg
Mike Ransdell/Kansas City Star/MCT via Getty Images

What does all of this mean?

Let's be honest about these results: they are the best of the bunch and I had to pass over scores of names of forgotten players who never "made it" in the NFL. Jenkins is more likely to bust than boom simply because of the numbers involved. However, it also shows that anything is possible and if Reid is committed to including Jenkins in his offensive game plan, then the Chiefs might already have some real help on the outside going forward.

Maybe all A.J. Jenkins needs is a real chance.

This is a tough year to predict surprise cuts. I dont see Hill or Simms getting cut. Boyd will be put on the practice squad. Boyd has mechanical throwing issues and he has had trouble grasping the offense. Then again, Rex has held onto questionable players in the past.

Interesting list. Is money involved here?

I guess I could see Landry with Prior and Allen probably trusted to start, and wanting to get a little younger there. It's been sounding like they're counting on Barnes coming back, though. God knows they can use the pass rush help - unless they're very confident that Coples is ready to man that spot, and they really like Trevor Reilly (listed at 225lbs?). So yeah, possible.

But Hill is one of those guys that the coaches have talked up a little bit. Sure, they could be doing that to promote some trade interest, but Hill just turned 23 in April, is still 6'4", fast, and a model citizen. I'd really be surprised if they gave up on him for something like a sixth rounder. I know how he's viewed around here, but that just seems like giving up on him too early.

I'd think this all the way most years.  Except this year the GM just drafted 3 more WRs.  There are only so many roster spots.

I do think any/all of them want Hill to be something special (or even something average).

Also I'd throw Kyle Wilson onto that list.  Yeah, yeah he turns UFA next year and we'd get a conditional draft pick the year after that and all. But he's a freaking nutjob and the team has given no indication they're trying to hang onto him past this upcoming season.  And even though every single one of them might be a flop, they have a load of young talent at corner (not even counting the #9 overall pick and 3rd round pick that Idzik made the past 2 seasons). After them, and Patterson, this summer they're also bringing back Walls and are looking at Dowling, that Reeves kid from Iowa State, they just signed this other kid Dixon, (all 3 are/were burners coming out of college), and a couple others I similarly know next to nothing about.

Wilson has a high cap # at $2.4M, but $1.1M of it is locked in no matter what.  And from that $1.3M savings, you'd still have to count a minimum of $420K for his replacement.  Still, it's roughly $1M in cap savings.  If he acts like a knucklehead again, or if they get some pleasant surprises from the crop of kids who are here for tryouts, I think they'd try to move Wilson.  I do think they'd try to get a pick from him, though, rather than just cutting him outright.  He'd be cheap for anyone else ($1.2M) considering the CB market, and he's at least shown that he has a place on an NFL roster (unlike many other 1st round letdowns).

This is a tough year to predict surprise cuts. I dont see Hill or Simms getting cut. Boyd will be put on the practice squad. Boyd has mechanical throwing issues and he has had trouble grasping the offense. Then again, Rex has held onto questionable players in the past.

I can't see Simms making the team.

Also I'd throw Kyle Wilson onto that list.  Yeah, yeah he turns UFA next year and we'd get a conditional draft pick the year after that and all. But he's a freaking nutjob and the team has given no indication they're trying to hang onto him past this upcoming season.  And even though every single one of them might be a flop, they have a load of young talent at corner (not even counting the #9 overall pick and 3rd round pick that Idzik made the past 2 seasons). After them, and Patterson, this summer they're also bringing back Walls and are looking at Dowling, that Reeves kid from Iowa State, they just signed this other kid Dixon, (all 3 are/were burners coming out of college), and a couple others I similarly know next to nothing about.

I was thinking about mentioning Wilson, myself. They do have a lot of young potential at the position, and if they could get something for him in a trade, I could see it being appealing to them. I still don't think they'd want to cut him, though. I'm not a fan of his antics on the field, but I wouldn't classify him as a nutjob, and I do think he brings value in the slot and as a spot starter on the outside. They'd need two or three guys to really show something to make him expendable, IMHO.

As for Hill, I expect him to be the starter, or the #3 guy who comes in and lines up outside moving the starting Kerley to the slot. Of course, that changes if Evans or Enunwa has a Victor Cruz type preseason, and Hill is still having trouble getting out of his own way.

I can't see Simms making the team.

I was thinking about mentioning Wilson, myself. They do have a lot of young potential at the position, and if they could get something for him in a trade, I could see it being appealing to them. I still don't think they'd want to cut him, though. I'm not a fan of his antics on the field, but I wouldn't classify him as a nutjob, and I do think he brings value in the slot and as a spot starter on the outside. They'd need two or three guys to really show something to make him expendable, IMHO.

As for Hill, I expect him to be the starter, or the #3 guy who comes in and lines up outside moving the starting Kerley to the slot. Of course, that changes if Evans or Enunwa has a Victor Cruz type preseason, and Hill is still having trouble getting out of his own way.

When I think of him as a nutjob I'm thinking more of the Buffalo game this past year than his idiotic Mutumbo finger-wagging (even after he was crap on the play).  When you're not in control of your own emotional actions, and said actions are detrimental to you and 50 people on your team, you are a nutjob. 2 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, on top of the 2 regular penalties, on 2 consecutive plays.

In the 4th quarter.

Of a close game.

= Nutjob.  JMO.

I'm no fan of Kyle Wilson, but even I have to admit that his big problem is that he gets exposed playing man-to-man coverage.  Except for a few CBs, just about everyone gets exposed in man-to-man coverage.  That's why so many teams salivate over Revis and Richard Sherman.  After all, man-to-man coverage used to be the rule, they only invented zone because the receivers were outplaying the CBs.  So I think the Jets should get something for him.  He's fast, experienced, decent in a zone and you can even get away with him on man-to-man occasionally if you don't make it a habit. 

I'd think this all the way most years.  Except this year the GM just drafted 3 more WRs.  There are only so many roster spots.

I do think any/all of them want Hill to be something special (or even something average).

Wilson has a high cap # at $2.4M, but $1.1M of it is locked in no matter what.  And from that $1.3M savings, you'd still have to count a minimum of $420K for his replacement.  Still, it's roughly $1M in cap savings.  If he acts like a knucklehead again, or if they get some pleasant surprises from the crop of kids who are here for tryouts, I think they'd try to move Wilson.  I do think they'd try to get a pick from him, though, rather than just cutting him outright.  He'd be cheap for anyone else ($1.2M) considering the CB market, and he's at least shown that he has a place on an NFL roster (unlike many other 1st round letdowns).

Also Johnny Patrick.  Saints 3rd rounder in 2011, has started games for the Saints and for the Chargers last year.  He's been waived a couple of times, but hasn't cleared waivers.  Signed for this year and next for about $650K per.

Dmitri Patterson.

Despite his 4 INT's in limited action last season with Miami, he's a journeyman CB with a history of injuries. He could lose his job if Dexter McDougle has a strong camp/Preseason, and after that there's very little use for him because Wilson is our NB and Walls/Lankster are more than capable of being the 4th and 5th corners. Ras I-Dowling could push him out as well. Last but not least, he could be waived via an injury settlement - and that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Archived