CB Flowers stays in division, signs with San Diego

Greenseed4

per Rotosite

Chargers agreed to terms with CB Brandon Flowers on a one-year contract.

The deal is worth "up to" $5 million. Despite an anemic 2013 season as a misfit in Bob Sutton's press-man scheme, Flowers found a full bushel of suitors after the Chiefs released him 11 days ago. He lands in a spot where he can immediately rehab his value as a starting corner and then hit the open market again at age 29. Flowers put plenty of really good tape together from 2008-12, and will add borderline Pro Bowl shadow ability to a pass defense that ranked 29th in the league last year. With first-round corner Jason Verrett also added to incumbents Shareece Wright and Richard Marshall, this won't be quite the unit to pick on that it was last season.

Surprised the Jets didn't make a play for him at such a low price.  Maybe his struggles in KC under Sutton leaving him as (I believe) the 77th ranked CB scared them off.  I would have taken him at that price, but everything says they're in love with McDougal and Dowling is impressing in camp.  Hopefully the CB situation isn't as bad as most outside observers/"experts" think it is.

Surprised the Jets didn't make a play for him at such a low price.  Maybe his struggles in KC under Sutton leaving him as (I believe) the 77th ranked CB scared them off.  I would have taken him at that price, but everything says they're in love with McDougal and Dowling is impressing in camp.  Hopefully the CB situation isn't as bad as most outside observers/"experts" think it is.

As someone pointed out in another thread, I wouldn't at all be surprised if their lack of interest was influenced by the fact that the whole reason he was cut to begin with is he was not considered to be a fit for Sutton's defense, which is modeled after Rex's.  If they were even considering Flowers, you figure they probably would have put a call in to Sutton to see what he thought.

As someone pointed out in another thread, I wouldn't at all be surprised if their lack of interest was influenced by the fact that the whole reason he was cut to begin with is he was not considered to be a fit for Sutton's defense, which is modeled after Rex's.  If they were even considering Flowers, you figure they probably would have put a call in to Sutton to see what he thought.

Interesting that Sutton, a lifer coach and pretty much a failure as a DC under Mangini is now allegedly running a Rex styled D under Andy Reid.  They sure went after Devito.  Glorified defensive line coach.

Interesting that Sutton, a lifer coach and pretty much a failure as a DC under Mangini is now allegedly running a Rex styled D under Andy Reid.  They sure went after Devito.  Glorified defensive line coach.

it's probably pretty hard to get a leadership role at the united states military academy at west point

as the jets couching carousel spinned, sutton was retained, and promoted.

he can coach

flowers isn't a press man guy, and would never had worked here

it's probably pretty hard to get a leadership role at the united states military academy at west point

as the jets couching carousel spinned, sutton was retained, and promoted.

he can coach

flowers isn't a press man guy, and would never had worked here

Don't worry, the same people who are bitching about Idzik not going after Flowers would be the same people bitching about Idzik signing him when he wouldn't work out here.

Archived