Lost my passion for the Jets

use2Jet

Hey guys, cool forum. Been reading for a while before I decided to start posting. 

I am a mid 40's Jets fan, and I have really lost my passion for the Jets the past few years. Really started in the offseason of 2011, and is getting worse and worse every single season. I used to truly love the Jets, I mean love them. My moods during football season would follow a Jet win or loss for the whole week.

I find that while I am still a Jet fan, I just don't care nearly as much about them anymore.

I despise the owner, I think Rex while a likeable guy, is nothing more than a mediocre HC who acts like a clown, and I think Idzik is Mr. Conservative who will play for 9-7 every year.

I see most of you here are really high on Rex and Idzik, and I just don't get it. I mean, being a Jet fan for as long as I have, I get that average and mediocre are much better than most of our history, but why should that be enough?Why shouldn't we have a great team? Why do we have to settle for Geno Smith? Why do we draft DB or DL with virtually every 1st round pick we have?

This whole team is designed for eternal 7-9 to 9-7. The d will always be good enough to avoid complete disaster, and the O will never be good enough to be more than slightly above, below average. Rex is a cure, he is not good enough to take us to the promise land, and not bad enough to can him. 

I think many Jets fans are disillusioned by incredibly good fortune in 09 and 10, I really do.

Anyway, I know most disagree with me and to each their own, this is just my take on the state of the Jets.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, cool forum. Been reading for a while before I decided to start posting. 

I am a mid 40's Jets fan, and I have really lost my passion for the Jets the past few years. Really started in the offseason of 2011, and is getting worse and worse every single season. I used to truly love the Jets, I mean love them. My moods during football season would follow a Jet win or loss for the whole week.

I find that while I am still a Jet fan, I just don't care nearly as much about them anymore.

I despise the owner, I think Rex while a likeable guy, is nothing more than a mediocre HC who acts like a clown, and I think Idzik is Mr. Conservative who will play for 9-7 every year.

I see most of you here are really high on Rex and Idzik, and I just don't get it. I mean, being a Jet fan for as long as I have, I get that average and mediocre are much better than most of our history, but why should that be enough?Why shouldn't we have a great team? Why do we have to settle for Geno Smith? Why do we draft DB or DL with virtually every 1st round pick we have?

This whole team is designed for eternal 7-9 to 9-7. The d will always be good enough to avoid complete disaster, and the O will never be good enough to be more than slightly above, below average. Rex is a cure, he is not good enough to take us to the promise land, and not bad enough to can him. 

I think many Jets fans are disillusioned by incredibly good fortune in 09 and 10, I really do.

Anyway, I know most disagree with me and to each their own, this is just my take on the state of the Jets.

If you're in your 40's this is far from the worst stretch of football you've seen, and far from the most hopeless the team has been, so in reality, the fact that your mood is no longer affected by every win and loss probably has more to do with you and being a grown up than it does with the team.  Also, is this a bad thing?  Is not ruining your whole day over something that you have no actual stake in nor control over such a terrible thing?

I do disagree with your opinion of Idzik, but what's so bad about having someone who's conservative.  What we've done before hasn't worked, and the teams who are most successful over the long haul are the more conservative ones, it seems.  I realize as a Jet fan, it's hard to be patient, but incremental growth is what we're going for, and I think the NFL model has shown more success with this than swinging for the fences, which we literally just saw with Tannenbaum.

Why do we have to settle for Geno Smith?  Because, what is the alternative right now.  What sure thing improvement did we pass on?  Not the back-foot bobble head doll who's in Cleveland.  We actually did add the best available QB, and the fact that it was a 35 year old Vick should tell you something about available QBs.

We drafted a DB because DB, specifically safety, was the weakest position on the team.  Last year we drafted the DPOY at DL, do we regret that pick?  We also took Milliner, who struggled, but what would this team look like right now without him?  We still wouldn't have Revis.  Cromartie would still be terrible.

Why are we doomed to have a bad offense forever?  Is it impossible for Geno to improve?  Is it impossible for Eric Decker to be an improvement over David Nelson?  Is it impossible for Chris Johnson to make plays as a 3rd down back?  Impossible that Jace Amaro will be a quality receiving threat?

Well thanks for sharing that.

If your considering shooting yourself I would recommend using a low cal weapon to the head.  if you use a high cal, like a 357 it just might blow right thru, and leave you alive.  Your care giver might be a Jets fan, and expose you to depressing Jets games.

A low cal like a 22 or 25 will only enter, and most likely bounce around inside your gourd.    Much more effective.

Just trying to help you through this crisis 

You have come to the right place.  Thanks to sign up.  In no time, you will hate so many things, your lost Jets passion won't be an issue anymore.  :)

I agree with this poster. Really, the only interesting storylines of the 2014 season are:

1. Can Marty save Rex's job?

2. Will Geno not suck?

That's it. This is a purgatorial season. We're not competing for a title; all we're doing is waiting around.

It's Afo, aka Assmop on Xanax ;)

This guiy is just looking for an excuse to go apple picking in the fall instead of manning up and watching football. Betcha his women hates football and wears the pants in the house so now that he finally has a girlfriend he's testing this BS with us before he uses these execuses on his pals when the apple and strawberry's coming calling. Rex is a clown, I mean how old is that. Suprised he did not call him fat. Hate the owner, that's always a good one, Yankee fans used that one in 1986 to switch to the Mets. Something was lost but it was not passion. Heard this crap 10x over, its a women!!!!!!!!!!!!!   C YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're in your 40's this is far from the worst stretch of football you've seen, and far from the most hopeless the team has been, so in reality, the fact that your mood is no longer affected by every win and loss probably has more to do with you and being a grown up than it does with the team.  Also, is this a bad thing?  Is not ruining your whole day over something that you have no actual stake in nor control over such a terrible thing?

I do disagree with your opinion of Idzik, but what's so bad about having someone who's conservative.  What we've done before hasn't worked, and the teams who are most successful over the long haul are the more conservative ones, it seems.  I realize as a Jet fan, it's hard to be patient, but incremental growth is what we're going for, and I think the NFL model has shown more success with this than swinging for the fences, which we literally just saw with Tannenbaum.

Why do we have to settle for Geno Smith?  Because, what is the alternative right now.  What sure thing improvement did we pass on?  Not the back-foot bobble head doll who's in Cleveland.  We actually did add the best available QB, and the fact that it was a 35 year old Vick should tell you something about available QBs.

We drafted a DB because DB, specifically safety, was the weakest position on the team.  Last year we drafted the DPOY at DL, do we regret that pick?  We also took Milliner, who struggled, but what would this team look like right now without him?  We still wouldn't have Revis.  Cromartie would still be terrible.

Why are we doomed to have a bad offense forever?  Is it impossible for Geno to improve?  Is it impossible for Eric Decker to be an improvement over David Nelson?  Is it impossible for Chris Johnson to make plays as a 3rd down back?  Impossible that Jace Amaro will be a quality receiving threat?

now-thats-what-i-call-a-cool-story-bro.j

i hear you im also 40 and aside from  a few good years here and there this team has done nothing to cheer about, but i like the direction we are going we are rebuilding it will take time, and if we give some of these young players time  to develop they might be very good we need to get depth in all spots  and then go get that game changer, but i do think our O line is getting old.good teams dont change coaches every 3 or 4 years i think martty will help Geno develop into a good player but it will take time.so dont get so down just wait and see where Idzik will take us, i think this will be a good year and we will go deep in the playoffs  no ring but  in two years this team will be very good and we will give the pats and every other team something to think about,is going to be a fun ride just hang on bro,GO JETS!!!! 

GREAT first post. You sound like you could be Mod material - do you enjoy man-love?

This was my reaction after reading the title and realizing i had a 1 in 500 chance it was either TomShane or Integrity posting it...

Then i realized it wasnt one of them, and i was like...

CVhj4d4.jpg

Interesting that you lost your passion for the Jets yet you still come on this forum which talks pretty much solely about the jets. Tom Shane goes on a few rants which take it another direction sometimes but it is 95% about the Jets. Then you decide to post on this forum. Why bother? Just quietly leave and enjoy whatever people do on Sundays in the fall that isn't football related

Fwiw, I can't stand Woody Johnson either.  I disagree w/ you on Idzik though.  So far I like the new approach for this team.  It feels like that's what winning organizations do (though of course, the jury on that is still out).  Rex is a buffoon but I think he has some strengths as a coach (which I couldn't necessarily say about some of our previous HC's). 

akiko%20thumbs%20down.gif

There is always the Giants and they love whiney fans.

While I don't agree with some of your views on the team, I sure am envious that you learned how to keep the ups, and downs of the Jets seasons from ruining your days, and week.

This is nowhere near as bad as it has been, of course. That does not make it good either.

Of course Geno can improve, in fact, it would be hard not to considering how bad he was.

That said, I don't see how we don't draft a QB other than Boyd in this past draft. Its funny, everyone here wants to give the Jets a free pass for not having a QB, yet find it totally acceptable to not draft a QB in this past draft. Everyone wants to say its pure luck when you get a QB, but you cannot get lucky unless you are drafting them.

Until this franchise gets people in here who can identify, and develop a QB, we will always be hoping to squeak into the playoffs. For some, that may be enough, for me its not. To each his own. 

I deplore the direction of the team since 2011, its been horrible. Not in terms of a horrible result, but it is destined for eternal mediocrity.

Last years 8-8 was wildly misleading. Our point differential was more of that of a 5-11 team. We can see a big improvement in play and go 8-8 again. If you look at it objectively, that is what we pretty much are every year with Rex. 09 would have been 8-8 had the Colts played Manning, 10 was 11-5 but 13 was 6-10. For the most part, this has been a 8-8 team. If you like that, knock yourself out, enjoy.

Well thanks for sharing that.

If your considering shooting yourself I would recommend using a low cal weapon to the head.  if you use a high cal, like a 357 it just might blow right thru, and leave you alive.  Your care giver might be a Jets fan, and expose you to depressing Jets games.

A low cal like a 22 or 25 will only enter, and most likely bounce around inside your gourd.    Much more effective.

Just trying to help you through this crisis 

hmmm, seems like an appropriate response. Nice one.

Impressively long explanation. Could've saved a lot of keystrokes by saying "I'm a fair weather fan."

LOL! I was paying for season tickets every year and going to every game when we were 1-15 and 3-13, yeah, I am sure a fair weather fan. 

Lets be honest, we play in a horrible stadium, we have no QB, a moron owner. We sign dog killers who suck. We are basically an eternal 8-8 team. Our HC is a good enough DC to keep us from ever having a shot at a top QB prospect. It's eternal mediocrity for us. I suppose that is better than 3-13, but by how much?

We have a QB worth giving a chance to.  On the other side, Phil Simms sucked with a few good flourishes for his first few years, and Eli was basically considered a Sanchez on his way out until he got the picture.  Geno got put into a team with the crappiest receiving corps I've seen on a professional unit, and then injuries made it worse.  It's worthy to note that when the lone established pro WR, Kerley, returned from injury and David Nelson, a midseason pickup, finally had time to gel with the offense, we won most of our games.  Geno seems to have an easy throwing motion that looks like he's throwing a 5 yard pass and the ball goes 35 or 40 yards, a very good sign.  After two disasters at Offensive Coordinator we have a real good one and are putting the pieces together.  If you can hang in there with Schottenheimer and Sparano, you can hang in there with Mornhinweg and Geno.

Archived