Lost my passion for the Jets

use2Jet

I don't know the specifics of the 49ers situation so I can't comment on it exactly. What I do know is that someone who was as anti-tannenbaum as you were, and I think rightfully so, is now ignoring the after effects of tannenbaum's work. By going for it all with high priced free agents, trading way too many draft picks, and doubling down on Sanchez, and giving Holmes that monster contract, we were left in need of a full rebuild and very few tools to do so. It just doesn't add up to me. I think it's very obvious we're still feeling the effects of Tannenbaums Madden-eske running of the team.

The difference I can speak to of the 49ers is that while they had a "bust" at QB, they found something that at least he could do well. Alex Smith could be a game manager, and complete high percentage passes and not turn the ball over. Sanchez could not do that. Then, they drafted Kappernick who can actually play, just how well is debatable. Kappernick also got to redshirt his rookie year, unlike Geno. The problem with the Jets is that Sanchez was good at literally nothing, and Geno was a rookie, who may also be good at very little.

Ultimately, while last year was only 8-8, I'd say at this point, the team is far more talented than it's been in a while. I like a lot of the pieces in place, but we still have concerns at CB (is it Rex's fault that Cromartie fell off a cliff?) and QB, which will ultimately determine how good we are. I think this team is slowly moving in the right direction, and I think slowly is the right way to do things, regardless if it means that you're not frowny-pants all day long if the Jets lose.

My belief is that Rex is a poor leader whose management technique works well in the short term, but is useless in the long term. I don't think he's capable of providing (or projecting) the discipline it takes to create an environment of competition. Patting people on the head--especially when it's undeserved (Sanchez, Holmes)--loses its motivational push pretty quickly. Even Rex's primary pitch--the us against the world ploy--is transparent and temporary, and when he lost that card after 2010, he had nothing to go to and the team imploded. I think that the closest Rex ever gets to disciplining a player is by providing a snarky, somewhat ambiguous quote to a reporter (as with Stephen Hill and Quentin Coples) that he turns around and laughs about later. He's weak, and I think players learn that the longer they're here. Holmes learned it, Plaxico learned it, Bart Scott learned it, and Sanchez knew it, and subsequently the whole team knew it, and that's why I think players don't get better here. There's no authority to please, and there are no consequences for failure.

RE: Harbaugh, he's produced excellent QB play everywhere he's been, though. Alex Smith and, now, Kaepernick aren't anomalous.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My belief is that Rex is a poor leader whose management technique works well in the short term, but is useless in the long term. I don't think he's capable of providing (or projecting) the discipline it takes to create an environment of competition. Patting people on the head--especially when it's undeserved (Sanchez, Holmes)--loses its motivational push pretty quickly. I think that the closest Rex ever gets to disciplining a player is by providing a snarky, somewhat ambiguous quote to a reporter (as with Stephen Hill and Quentin Coples) that he turns around and laughs about later. He's weak, and I think players learn that the longer they're here. Holmes learned it, Plaxico learned it, Bart Scott learned it, and Sanchez knew it, and subsequently the whole team knew it, and that's why I think players don't get better here. There's no authority to please, and there are no consequences for failure.

And these, to me, are all fair criticisms of Rex.  Along with clock management and usage of challenges.  But, I'm not sure it's the reason players don't get better.  Because, players have their own motivation to get better.  While Club Rex may be fun for a while, you think Sanchez wouldn't have been better off, despite the absurd contract he got, by being good?  He's competing with Matt Barkley for a back-up job.  I think it's very possible that the handful, and honestly it's not that many, players who haven't improved really just aren't any good.  Also, we haven't had the benefit of having anyone who you could bring in to bench a player.  Was Sanchez really going to get benched for Brunell?  Tebow?  Dude just sucked, that's about it as far as I can tell.

Ultimately, the current state of the Jets, I don't think is because of lack of discipline, it's because of lack of talent due to poor/no drafting and awful contracts.

Hey guys, cool forum. Been reading for a while before I decided to start posting. 

I am a mid 40's Jets fan, and I have really lost my passion for the Jets the past few years. Really started in the offseason of 2011, and is getting worse and worse every single season. I used to truly love the Jets, I mean love them. My moods during football season would follow a Jet win or loss for the whole week.

I find that while I am still a Jet fan, I just don't care nearly as much about them anymore.

I despise the owner, I think Rex while a likeable guy, is nothing more than a mediocre HC who acts like a clown, and I think Idzik is Mr. Conservative who will play for 9-7 every year.

I see most of you here are really high on Rex and Idzik, and I just don't get it. I mean, being a Jet fan for as long as I have, I get that average and mediocre are much better than most of our history, but why should that be enough?Why shouldn't we have a great team? Why do we have to settle for Geno Smith? Why do we draft DB or DL with virtually every 1st round pick we have?

This whole team is designed for eternal 7-9 to 9-7. The d will always be good enough to avoid complete disaster, and the O will never be good enough to be more than slightly above, below average. Rex is a cure, he is not good enough to take us to the promise land, and not bad enough to can him. 

I think many Jets fans are disillusioned by incredibly good fortune in 09 and 10, I really do.

Anyway, I know most disagree with me and to each their own, this is just my take on the state of the Jets.

Let me get this straight, you have so lost your passion for the Jets that you were only just now inspired to join this site and share this information with the rest of us?

I don't think you know what words mean.

I guess there's little middle ground between awful OLBs, average ILBs, awful safeties, and poor CBs and 11 superstars at every position on each side of the ball (which actually works out to 242 superstars, but we can leave that alone numbers aren't your thing obviously as 2 = eternal).

Your confusing me bub. Are you saying that Pace and Coples are awful?? 

It is utterly amazing the lengths at which Rex lovers will go to defend this guy and make him out to be the only guy on the planet who can coach a defense.

My belief is that Rex is a poor leader whose management technique works well in the short term, but is useless in the long term. I don't think he's capable of providing (or projecting) the discipline it takes to create an environment of competition. Patting people on the head--especially when it's undeserved (Sanchez, Holmes)--loses its motivational push pretty quickly. Even Rex's primary pitch--the us against the world ploy--is transparent and temporary, and when he lost that card after 2010, he had nothing to go to and the team imploded. I think that the closest Rex ever gets to disciplining a player is by providing a snarky, somewhat ambiguous quote to a reporter (as with Stephen Hill and Quentin Coples) that he turns around and laughs about later. He's weak, and I think players learn that the longer they're here. Holmes learned it, Plaxico learned it, Bart Scott learned it, and Sanchez knew it, and subsequently the whole team knew it, and that's why I think players don't get better here. There's no authority to please, and there are no consequences for failure.

RE: Harbaugh, he's produced excellent QB play everywhere he's been, though. Alex Smith and, now, Kaepernick aren't anomalous.

Its mind boggling how Jet fans don't see that what you say is 100% true.

The only explanation is that Rex is the closest thing Jet fans have to a HC who they would tailgate with and have beers with. That does not make him a good HC however.

Let me get this straight, you have so lost your passion for the Jets that you were only just now inspired to join this site and share this information with the rest of us?

I don't think you know what words mean.

I am not sure what you are asking me Mr. T, please clarify and I will try my best to answer this and any other question I might be able to help you out with.

Hmmm... I am here, and still here to try to discuss the Jets.

I strongly disagree with you regarding the steelers game. Tackling is about effort and mindset. The Jets read their press clippings, and Rex was not able to get his team to put forth a big effort in the biggest game he has coached in. A good HC does not allow that to happen. 

Trying to troll? Why, because I came to a Jets board to discuss the state of the Jets and I happen to disagree with the "all is great with the Jets" mentality that most Jets fans have, despite not having a QB, not have a real HC, and having Herman Munster as their GM? I am not disparaging anyone on this message board, I am being respectful. If having different opinions gets me banned, so be it, I would not want to be here anyway if that is the case.

I don't think I am smarter than anyone, but I do think the majority of Jets fans have been duped. Hey, plenty of smart people get duped, it happens.

Short of the last 3 years, I have been the biggest Jet fan I know. I have lived and breathed Jets since I was around 8 years old. I literally got so sick in elementary school after the AJ Duey game that I missed school for 3 days. Until the PSL's, I missed about 3 home games since I was 10. I think the trio of Woody, Herman Munster and Rex is destined for 7-9 to 9-7 for ever, for those who are ok with that, thats cool, I want more. I think we Jets fans deserve more

Rex treated the Pats win in the playoffs like the Super Bowl and the Jets were not ready for the Steeler game, that first drive we got smoked. We were better then the Steelers by a long shot but our coach did a lousy job. He should of held a meeting the next day, watched tape and told them how much they sucked and said no more pats talk, game over. I will never forgive him for that.

I don't know the specifics of the 49ers situation so I can't comment on it exactly. What I do know is that someone who was as anti-tannenbaum as you were, and I think rightfully so, is now ignoring the after effects of tannenbaum's work.

Yes, yes. A thousand times, yes.

The talent problem on this team was all Tannenbaum's fault until ten seconds after he was fired, then it was all Rex's fault. Its a joke.

I think this whole complaint is bullsh*t, too. It might've been true with earlier in his career, but he's a guy who's grown on the job. He coddled Sanchez, no doubt about it, but there's also no doubt that he hasn't coddled Geno. He benched him, despite the fact that he had no one else on the roster who could play QB, and Geno responded positively. He benched their first draft pick last year a couple times, this time to extremely positive results. He's evolved on this front.

He's also evolved in his offensive philosophy. The ground & pound thing has been overplayed (and was probably a good strategy with Mark Sanchez at QB), but the guy understands you have to throw the ball and score points in order to win. One of the dumbest things that gets repeated around here all the time is that Rex knows nothing about offense. It's impossible to be as great a defensive coach as he is without understanding offense. He's on the same page with Mornhinweg (and Idzik, for that matter) on offense. They all want to run the ball, but all understand the need to throw it. If we're gonna blame Rex for player acquisitions, let's blame him for signing the top WR and QB in free agency this offseason, and another WR, and a RB who can catch. And drafting a TE in the second round, and three more WRs. Because he hates offense.

He's still a likeable guy, which seems to be your biggest problem with him. I don't think being a guy that the players want to play for is a negative, though. He's a lot more like Pete Carroll than Bill Belichick, but both styles can win championships in this league.

If the Jets fire Rex, he'll be a better head coach at his next stop (and don't kid yourself, he'd get another head coaching gig in a heartbeat). I prefer the continuity here, and maybe having better Rex coaching the Jets.

Yes, yes. A thousand times, yes.

The talent problem on this team was all Tannenbaum's fault until ten seconds after he was fired, then it was all Rex's fault. Its a joke.

I think this whole complaint is bullsh*t, too. It might've been true with earlier in his career, but he's a guy who's grown on the job. He coddled Sanchez, no doubt about it, but there's also no doubt that he hasn't coddled Geno. He benched him, despite the fact that he had no one else on the roster who could play QB, and Geno responded positively. He benched their first draft pick last year a couple times, this time to extremely positive results. He's evolved on this front.

He's also evolved in his offensive philosophy. The ground & pound thing has been overplayed (and was probably a good strategy with Mark Sanchez at QB), but the guy understands you have to throw the ball and score points in order to win. One of the dumbest things that gets repeated around here all the time is that Rex knows nothing about offense. It's impossible to be as great a defensive coach as he is without understanding offense. He's on the same page with Mornhinweg (and Idzik, for that matter) on offense. They all want to run the ball, but all understand the need to throw it. If we're gonna blame Rex for player acquisitions, let's blame him for signing the top WR and QB in free agency this offseason, and another WR, and a RB who can catch. And drafting a TE in the second round, and three more WRs. Because he hates offense.

He's still a likeable guy, which seems to be your biggest problem with him. I don't think being a guy that the players want to play for is a negative, though. He's a lot more like Pete Carroll than Bill Belichick, but both styles can win championships in this league.

If the Jets fire Rex, he'll be a better head coach at his next stop (and don't kid yourself, he'd get another head coaching gig in a heartbeat). I prefer the continuity here, and maybe having better Rex coaching the Jets.

I have a question for you, if you asked Rex what do you need to win next year, do you think he is more likely to answer good QB play or good CB play? He may have other answers, but if we isolate just those two, what do you honestly think he answers? I would say out of those two there is a 95% chance he is more likely to say good CB play. I think Rex honestly believes that too. While he is not the GM, that is a major, major problem from a HC.

I am not sure what you are asking me Mr. T, please clarify and I will try my best to answer this and any other question I might be able to help you out with.

If you had truly lost your passion as you claim, you would not be first joining a message board now to talk about the Jets. You'd be someone who was a frequent poster who was curtailing their activity on the board. 

I have a question for you, if you asked Rex what do you need to win next year, do you think he is more likely to answer good QB play or good CB play? He may have other answers, but if we isolate just those two, what do you honestly think he answers? I would say out of those two there is a 95% chance he is more likely to say good CB play. I think Rex honestly believes that too. While he is not the GM, that is a major, major problem from a HC.

I honestly believe that you and Tom Shane are delusional freaks if you actually believe this statement. 

QB, no doubt about it. None. He understands the importance of CBs to stop the other team's QB, therefore he understands the importance of having a QB, himself. Sanchez sucked (sucks?), but he was Rex's first draft pick as a head coach. They traded up from #19 to #5 to draft him.

Rex and his defensive background gets blamed for every defensive first rounder the Jets take, what about that one?

I think it's an age thing, Win or Lose on Sunday, life goes on. I feel like an idiot for letting it ruin my sunday night / monday 10 years ago.

Still a fan, but the emotional investment is much different.

If you had truly lost your passion as you claim, you would not be first joining a message board now to talk about the Jets. You'd be someone who was a frequent poster who was curtailing their activity on the board. 

Hmm, Let me be clear. The Jets have been an enormous part of my life for nearly 40 years. While I despise the current regime, and the way the fan base treats them as Jesus, the Jets will always be a topic that interests me. perhaps I posted on another board before joining here, ever think of that Mr. T?

I honestly believe that you and Tom Shane are delusional freaks if you actually believe this statement. 

T0mShane is a delusional freak for many reasons beyond his position on that statement

You are 100% accurate with pre-Idzik Rex.He acted more like there friend then coach but  I saw a change last year in Rex. I am hoping it continues this year,  I alway thought Tanny and him were  a little loose and buddy with everyone.Idzik has a non nonsense attitude that was lacking and seems to be influencing Rex.Make or break year for lots of jets, coaches and players

Hmm, Let me be clear. The Jets have been an enormous part of my life for nearly 40 years. While I despise the current regime, and the way the fan base treats them as Jesus, the Jets will always be a topic that interests me. perhaps I posted on another board before joining here, ever think of that Mr. T?

So you've so lost your passion that as you stop using one Jets message board you immediately join so you can start a thread complaining that you've lost your passion?

I say you are just as passionate you just simply dislike Rex. That's fine. Just be honest with yourself about that. 

And I disagree that the fanbase treats Rex like "Jesus." While it is true that a few of us, like JiF and myself, base our lives on Rex's teachings and believe that all glory flows from the Rex; that does not mean that the majority of Jets fans, nor even the majority of this fanbase subscribe to Rex's philosophy. Though they would be wise to. 

QB, no doubt about it. None. He understands the importance of CBs to stop the other team's QB, therefore he understands the importance of having a QB, himself. Sanchez sucked (sucks?), but he was Rex's first draft pick as a head coach. They traded up from #19 to #5 to draft him.

Rex and his defensive background gets blamed for every defensive first rounder the Jets take, what about that one?

Wait, I thought Tannenbaum picked Sanchez, not Rex? The Jedi like moves of the Rex lovers is tough to keep up with.

i never blame a coach for a draft pick,,any GM worth his salt has power to over-ride a coaches draft request.

Wait, I thought Tannenbaum picked Sanchez, not Rex? The Jedi like moves of the Rex lovers is tough to keep up with.

Rex lovers?

I like Rex. I think he's a great defensive coach, and a good head coach. I like him better than Alternate Coach X, who I really know nothing about. I think continuity is a good thing, and that the Jets are currently on the right track. I think changing out the head coach would be a step back. Whole new staff, changing out good players to fit the new guy's philosophy (the way Parcells dumped Hugh Douglass), isn't a great way to try to move forward.

I also like consistency. Rex gets blamed for drafting defense in the first round (which I think is also nonsense), but gets no credit for drafting offense? He's driving the Milliner and Richardson picks, but had nothing to do with signing Decker or drafting Amaro?

Hey guys, cool forum. Been reading for a while before I decided to start posting. 

I am a mid 40's Jets fan, and I have really lost my passion for the Jets the past few years. Really started in the offseason of 2011, and is getting worse and worse every single season. I used to truly love the Jets, I mean love them. My moods during football season would follow a Jet win or loss for the whole week.

I find that while I am still a Jet fan, I just don't care nearly as much about them anymore.

I despise the owner, I think Rex while a likeable guy, is nothing more than a mediocre HC who acts like a clown, and I think Idzik is Mr. Conservative who will play for 9-7 every year.

I see most of you here are really high on Rex and Idzik, and I just don't get it. I mean, being a Jet fan for as long as I have, I get that average and mediocre are much better than most of our history, but why should that be enough?Why shouldn't we have a great team? Why do we have to settle for Geno Smith? Why do we draft DB or DL with virtually every 1st round pick we have?

This whole team is designed for eternal 7-9 to 9-7. The d will always be good enough to avoid complete disaster, and the O will never be good enough to be more than slightly above, below average. Rex is a cure, he is not good enough to take us to the promise land, and not bad enough to can him. 

I think many Jets fans are disillusioned by incredibly good fortune in 09 and 10, I really do.

Anyway, I know most disagree with me and to each their own, this is just my take on the state of the Jets.

POTW nomination

I don't have high hopes for Geno. I think his upside is a slightly below average NFL starting QB, no higher, and I am not convinced he will even reach his upside. Marty may be a good OC, but I am not convinced he is. I will say he is a far better OC than Rex is a HC, so I guess at least he has that going for him. I don't know how any Jet fan alive still had any faith in Rex after the Sparano debacle.

Funniest of all is that the same ones who mock the Sparano (as OC) hire hardest will readily and effortlessly absolve the man who hired him to be the head coach (and whose job, despite back to back 7-win seasons, was secure until said chicken of the sea quit on them like he quit on 4 teams before them).

Sparano was an awful hire by Ryan.  Awful.  But his expertise was as a running coordinator (whatever that is) and the basic ideology on offense - ball control by running, running, and more running) mimics that of the current SB champs who pass the ball less than everyone. Swap Sanchez and Wilson (not to mention the respective receiving corps for each team), and try to get anyone to agree that Seattle still wins over dozen regular games, plus 3 more in the playoffs (including a superbowl). 

Though there's a legion of people who claim otherwise, only a few truly absolve Ryan for literally everything stupid he's done (and he's done many stupid things, as has any head coach who's held the title for half a decade or more).  IMO few could be handicapped with the QBs the Jets have had on their rosters for 5 years straight and even get to .500.  This is also blamed on Ryan even though he has input but not the final call.

• Pre-Wilson, Seattle was 7-9 back to back with the same coaching staff.
  • The 2013 Packers were 6-2 with Aaron Rodgers. Without him (and Cobb) they won 2 of 8.
  • Denver was roughly an 8-8 team with and before Fox, while their QBs were Orton and Tebow (never mind the Tebow wins that appeared to be caused by divine intervention).  But you put Peyton Manning on the same team and suddenly it's an upset any time they don't win by 2+ touchdowns, plus then some nobody named Julius Thomas becomes a top 5 TE.
  • Before he went to Denver, Manning made Indy is an automatic playoff team. Same team without him wins 1 game.

Funniest of the criticisms that I read about are the dumb challenges that supposedly make Ryan singularly stupid.  Meanwhile it's a challenge to find a head coach with a better track record in this department, even with the couple that Rex admitted he stupidly used like regular a timeout.

Ryan 22/44 challenges resulted in the call getting overturned. Look at others:

• John Harbaugh 30/63
  • Jim Harbaugh 11/29
  • Pete Carroll 19/40
  • Bill Belichick 39/95
  • John Fox 40/110
  • Mike Tomlin 24/44 (only one I could find who's coaching today with a better track record than Ryan)
  • Lewis 27/66
  • Reid 44/90
  • Fisher 26/72
  • Coughlin 49/102

My point isn't that challenges make one a great head coach (far from it).  But rather, that people pretend they watch other coaches oh so closely but they just don't.  They may watch parts of many games, but no one's watching every play of every game from every other coach, to the point where one can assess the minutia that supposedly makes Ryan so inferior.  Challenges are a prime example of this, as Ryan gets absolutely destroyed here for any lost challenge as though he's singularly bad in this regard.  Meanwhile he's about as good as there is in the NFL in this regard (better than all but one) even with every/any oh so stupid one thrown in there.  Every coach does dumb things. 

My favorite is how it's Ryan who is the real boss of the draft any time a player on defense is selected.  Everyone knows the GM runs the draft and would never allow his own future to be in the hands of someone who doesn't scout every player, doesn't assess every contract, and who wouldn't be good at it even if he did.  Ryan gets up to 1 pick per season, if the team has enough to "throw one away" to him, and it's a late pick at that.  2 out of the 2 known Ryan-only picks have both been on offense (Conner and Boyd). I think it's a good guess that Scotty McKnight (overall pick #227) would be another one, as this WR seems to have been a throwaway pick drafted for Sanchez, but that's only a guess of mine.  Every other pick is ultimately the GM's pick. Every one of them. Denying it or conjuring up a conspiracy theory in one's mind doesn't make it not so. 

And with the things he does do better than most, if Ryan has us at 7 wins or fewer this year he should be canned.  There can be exceptions to this, I suppose, like if both of his QBs are injured or something unexpected/extreme like that.  Vick, despite my supreme dislike for him, and that he only had 2 good games in 6 starts just last year despite a capable offense around him, at least can QB a team to generate points. So unlike any other year Ryan was coach, there is actually another option at QB on the roster.  If Smith is horrid like November '13 for a few straight games and Ryan is still blindly loyal to this QB, with a healthy Vick on the sideline, then he's unfit to be the boss on gameday.  It's hard to gauge how much that happened with Sanchez given the lack of other options he had and considering the all-in investment his boss made in Sanchez (twice).  I haven't gotten the sense that Smith is Rex's guy like the way he mercilessly defended Sanchez for so long (and he hasn't gotten a tattoo of Smith's jersey on his wife, so far as we know), but we'll see what happens soon enough.

Rex lovers?

I like Rex. I think he's a great defensive coach, and a good head coach. I like him better than Alternate Coach X, who I really know nothing about. I think continuity is a good thing, and that the Jets are currently on the right track. I think changing out the head coach would be a step back. Whole new staff, changing out good players to fit the new guy's philosophy (the way Parcells dumped Hugh Douglass), isn't a great way to try to move forward.

I also like consistency. Rex gets blamed for drafting defense in the first round (which I think is also nonsense), but gets no credit for drafting offense? He's driving the Milliner and Richardson picks, but had nothing to do with signing Decker or drafting Amaro?

I think someone added it up once and there was a pretty large disparity to the number of players the Jets have drafted on offense compared to defense. Yet every pick we make on defense yields a "Ugh this is a Rex Ryan pick" response as though EVERY pick should be on offense. So many people also repeat their memorized mantra of agreeing we should draft the best player available, but that goes out the window if the GM thinks the best player plays on defense.

I'm surprised that, even though he was still on Baltimore, Ryan wasn't blamed for drafting Gholston #6 overall (to take the place of yet another OLB who was just given a huge contract a year earlier).

My favorite is how it's Ryan who is the real boss of the draft any time a player on defense is selected.  Everyone knows the GM runs the draft and would never allow his own future to be in the hands of someone who doesn't scout every player, doesn't assess every contract, and who wouldn't be good at it even if he did.  Ryan gets up to 1 pick per season, if the team has enough to "throw one away" to him, and it's a late pick at that.  2 out of the 2 known Ryan-only picks have both been on offense (Conner and Boyd). I think it's a good guess that Jordan White (overall pick #244) would be another one, as this WR seems to have been a throwaway pick drafted for Sanchez, but that's only a guess of mine.  Every other pick is the GM's pick. Every one of them. Denying it or conjuring up a conspiracy theory in one's mind doesn't make it not so. 

I believe you are thinking of Scotty McKnight 7th round, pick #227 in 2011.  He is the guy that went to HS with Sanchez.  Jordan White was an all production, no combine WR they took a flyer on that didn't work out.  Supposedly the "in the know" guys in the draft room wanted Bellore when they took Scotty McKnight, so they didn't really end up losing anything that year..  

I believe you are thinking of Scotty McKnight 7th round, pick #227 in 2011.  He is the guy that went to HS with Sanchez.  Jordan White was an all production, no combine WR they took a flyer on that didn't work out.  Supposedly the "in the know" guys in the draft room wanted Bellore when they took Scotty McKnight, so they didn't really end up losing anything that year..  

Right, right, I was mixing them up.  All I remembered was a 7th round WR who did nothing.  But the point still stands; it's my opinion that McKnight was a Ryan pick as a gift to Sanchez.  But it's only an guess of mine, as I don't recall actually hearing or reading anything about Rex being behind the pick at all.

Funniest of all is that the same ones who mock the Sparano (as OC) hire hardest will readily and effortlessly absolve the man who hired him to be the head coach (and whose job, despite back to back 7-win seasons, was secure until said chicken of the sea quit on them like he quit on 4 teams before them).

Sparano was an awful hire by Ryan.  Awful.  But his expertise was as a running coordinator (whatever that is) and the basic ideology on offense - ball control by running, running, and more running) mimics that of he current SB champs who pass the ball less than everyone. Swap Sanchez and Wilson (not to mention the respective receiving corps for each team), and try to get anyone to agree that Seattle still wins over dozen regular games, plus 3 more in the playoffs (including a superbowl). 

Though there's a legion of people who claim otherwise, only a few truly absolve Ryan for literally everything stupid he's done (and he's done many stupid things, as has any head coach who's held the title for half a decade or more).  IMO few could be handicapped with the QBs the Jets have had on their rosters for 5 years straight and even get to .500.  This is also blamed on Ryan even though he has input but not the final call.

• The 2013 Packers were 6-2 with Aaron Rodgers. Without him (and Cobb) they won 2 of 8.
  • Denver was roughly an 8-8 team with and before Fox, while their QBs were Orton and Tebow (never mind the Tebow wins that appeared to be caused by divine intervention).  But you Peyton Manning on the same team and suddenly it's an upset any time they don't win by 2+ touchdowns, and then some nobody named Julius Thomas becomes a top 5 TE.
  • Before he went to Denver, Manning made Indy is an automatic playoff team. Same team without him wins 1 game.
Funniest of the criticisms that I read about are the dumb challenges that supposedly make Ryan singularly stupid.  Meanwhile it's a challenge to find a head coach with a better track record in this department, even with the couple that Rex admitted he stupidly used like regular a timeout.

• John Harbaugh 30/63
  • Jim Harbaugh 11/29
  • Pete Carroll 19/40
  • Bill Belichick 39/95
  • John Fox 40/110
  • Mike Tomlin 24/44 (only one I could find who's coaching today with a better track record than Ryan)
  • Lewis 27/66
  • Reid 44/90
  • Fisher 26/72
  • Coughlin 49/102
My point isn't that challenges make one a great head coach (far from it).  But rather, that people pretend they watch other coaches oh so closely but they just don't.  They may watch parts of many games, but no one's watching every play of every game from every other coach, to the point where one can assess the minutia that supposedly makes Ryan so inferior.  Challenges are a prime example of this, as Ryan gets absolutely destroyed here for any lost challenge.  Meanwhile he's about as good as there is in the NFL in this regard (better than all but one) even with every/any oh so stupid one thrown in there.  Every coach does dumb things. 

My favorite is how it's Ryan who is the real boss of the draft any time a player on defense is selected.  Everyone knows the GM runs the draft and would never allow his own future to be in the hands of someone who doesn't scout every player, doesn't assess every contract, and who wouldn't be good at it even if he did.  Ryan gets up to 1 pick per season, if the team has enough to "throw one away" to him, and it's a late pick at that.  2 out of the 2 known Ryan-only picks have both been on offense (Conner and Boyd). I think it's a good guess that Jordan White (overall pick #244) would be another one, as this WR seems to have been a throwaway pick drafted for Sanchez, but that's only a guess of mine.  Every other pick is the GM's pick. Every one of them. Denying it or conjuring up a conspiracy theory in one's mind doesn't make it not so. 

And with the things he does do better than most, if Ryan has us at 7 wins or fewer this year he should be canned.  There can be exceptions to this, I suppose, like if both of his QBs are injured or something unexpected/extreme like that.  Vick, despite my supreme dislike for him, and that he only had 2 good games in 6 starts just year despite a capable offense around him, at least can QB a team to generate points. So unlike any other year Ryan was coach, there is actually another option at QB on the roster.  If Smith is horrid for a few straight games and Ryan is still blindly loyal to this QB, with a healthy Vick on the sideline, then he's unfit to be the boss on gameday.  It's hard to gauge how much that happened with Sanchez given the other options he had and considering the all-in investment his boss made in Sanchez (twice).  I haven't gotten the sense that Smith is Rex's guy like the way he mercilessly defended Sanchez for so long (and he hasn't gotten a tattoo of Smith's jersey on his wife, so far as we know), but we'll see what happens soon enough.

Great post 

Sparano was an awful hire by Ryan.  Awful.  But his expertise was as a running coordinator (whatever that is) and the basic ideology on offense - ball control by running, running, and more running) mimics that of the current SB champs who pass the ball less than everyone. Swap Sanchez and Wilson (not to mention the respective receiving corps for each team), and try to get anyone to agree that Seattle still wins over dozen regular games, plus 3 more in the playoffs (including a superbowl). 

• Denver was roughly an 8-8 team with and before Fox, while their QBs were Orton and Tebow (never mind the Tebow wins that appeared to be caused by divine intervention).  But you Peyton Manning on the same team and suddenly it's an upset any time they don't win by 2+ touchdowns, and then some nobody named Julius Thomas becomes a top 5 TE.

• John Harbaugh 30/63
  • Jim Harbaugh 11/29
  • Pete Carroll 19/40
  • Bill Belichick 39/95
  • John Fox 40/110
  • Lewis 27/66
  • Reid 44/90
  • Fisher 26/72
  • Coughlin 49/102

My point isn't that challenges make one a great head coach (far from it).  But rather, that people pretend they watch other coaches oh so closely but they just don't.  They may watch parts of many games, but no one's watching every play of every game from every other coach, to the point where one can assess the minutia that supposedly makes Ryan so inferior.  Challenges are a prime example of this, as Ryan gets absolutely destroyed here for any lost challenge.  Meanwhile he's about as good as there is in the NFL in this regard (better than all but one) even with every/any oh so stupid one thrown in there.  Every coach does dumb things. 

And with the things he does do better than most, if Ryan has us at 7 wins or fewer this year he should be canned.  There can be exceptions to this, I suppose, like if both of his QBs are injured or something unexpected/extreme like that.  Vick, despite my supreme dislike for him, and that he only had 2 good games in 6 starts just year despite a capable offense around him, at least can QB a team to generate points. So unlike any other year Ryan was coach, there is actually another option at QB on the roster.  If Smith is horrid for a few straight games and Ryan is still blindly loyal to this QB, with a healthy Vick on the sideline, then he's unfit to be the boss on gameday.  It's hard to gauge how much that happened with Sanchez given the other options he had and considering the all-in investment his boss made in Sanchez (twice).  I haven't gotten the sense that Smith is Rex's guy like the way he mercilessly defended Sanchez for so long (and he hasn't gotten a tattoo of Smith's jersey on his wife, so far as we know), but we'll see what happens soon enough.

You're a rock solid poster!

• John Harbaugh 30/63
  • Jim Harbaugh 11/29
  • Pete Carroll 19/40
  • Bill Belichick 39/95
  • John Fox 40/110
  • Lewis 27/66
  • Reid 44/90
  • Fisher 26/72
  • Coughlin 49/102

Wow! You love you some Rexy!

For the record, I am not as high on Parcells as many are, but hiring someone as a HC is different than hiring them for a coordinator. They are a very different skillset.

In his prime, I think Parcells was a very good if not great HC, but I have no reason to believe he would have been a very good DC, as he never had a great Defense without Bellicheck.

I think someone can be a good HC without being a good coordinator, and vise versa.

The Sparano hiring was mystifying, the guy had no qualifications whatsoever to be a OC, and Rexy hired him because he liked the way he syntax sounded. I don't care how bad Sanchez was, Sparano was one of the worst OC's in the history of the league, and was inexcusable.

Hey, just like I am entitled to dislike Rexy, you are entitled to your Rexy love.

Your confusing me bub. Are you saying that Pace and Coples are awful??

It is utterly amazing the lengths at which Rex lovers will go to defend this guy and make him out to be the only guy on the planet who can coach a defense.

I'm saying Pace is a last resort at the position and Coples has potential but nothing more.

I'm also far from a "Rex Lover", a better term would be a "Rex is average to above average and good enough to win with if we ever get competent QB play believer".

Archived