Jets Announce Rewards Program

Maxman

Jets' advertising and marketing budget BEFORE PSLs- $-0-

Glad to hear that the coupon clipping around the Johnson houshold has come to a stop. But from the day the new stadium opened it's as if some idiot tried to do everything humanly possible to discourage Jets fans from attending games. The Jets in particular don't understand that pretty much every decision-PSLs, the parking and road nightmare, the idiocy at entering and exiring the stadium, the lack of bathrooms- they have made since makes watching from your couch a very easy decision.

The entry 15 minutes thing-so fans are to blame because the Jets and NJSEA didn't anticpate 80,000 people might attend NFL game and hired too few rent-a-cops.And built escalators that empty into concourses loaded with concessions instead to the next level escalator.It takes forever to get out.Can recall seeing GNR and AC/Dc in the old stadium, and those crowds weren't as crushing as any Jets game I went to, though I have stopped going. There are no spirals because some young lady might show her tatas at halftime, safety be damned. There are too few bathrooms. The people who built and agreed to the plans for this stadium apparently never attended any event at a stadium, or are total a-holes.

I guess Woody doesn't want any paupers winnning a seat in his box.

I am curious, though, how can season ticket holders sell individual games without having paper tickets?

Even if they're trying to kill the ones who purchased PSLs purely for reselling, what about games that even "real fans" can't attend? During those weeks, fans had the choice of selling them or even giving them away. Now they can't do either and these seats will necessarily be empty.

Even still, I don't see how this isn't some sort of breach in the PSL agreement. There was not requirement in the PSL (as far as I know) that the PSL owner attend the games himself. When buying the PSL - as an investment - fans felt they could legally resell their tickets for up to 20% over face value.  It was, at least in some form, an asset that they'd purchased. And they paid thousands - if not tens of thousands - of dollars. Now what do they have? The team has decreased the value of this asset..

I don't know what the other "paperless" teams do, but unless also they give each PSL holder paper guest-type paper tickets (that it can give away, or resell to others for a profit), it would seem that the team(s) have changed a material part of the agreement after the fact.

How wonderful. As though it wasn't enough that the people loyal enough to buy PSLs in the first place can't resell them for face value. Now they can't even resell the tickets that go along with it. 

There has to be some carve-out for this that we're not seeing from this article. I don't see how they can just tell so many thousands of people that they're removing the resellable property of the type of asset that is resold with such frequency (and, in fact, such reselling is sponsored by the NFL via ticket exchange that they've even made commercials for).

I guess Woody doesn't want any paupers winnning a seat in his box.

I am curious, though, how can season ticket holders sell individual games without having paper tickets?

Yes electronic transfer.

What I don't think they're considering is that there are simply games that even "real fans" can't attend. During those weeks, fans had the choice of selling them or even giving them away. Now they can't do either and these seats will necessarily be empty.

Also I don't see how this isn't some sort of breach in the PSL agreement. When buying the PSL - as an investment - fans felt they could legally resell their tickets for up to 20% over face value. It was, at least in some form, an asset that they'd purchased. And they paid thousands - if not tens of thousands - of dollars. Now what do they have? The team has decreased the value of this asset..

I don't know what the other "paperless" teams do, but unless also they give each PSL holder paper guest-type paper tickets (that it can give away, or resell to others for a profit), it would seem that the team(s) have changed a material part of the agreement after the fact.

How wonderful. As though it wasn't enough that the people loyal enough to buy PSLs in the first place can't resell them for face value. Now they can't even resell the tickets that go along with it.

There has to be some carve-out for this that we're not seeing from this article. I don't see how they can just tell so many thousands of people that they're removing the resellable property of the type of asset that is resold with such frequency (and, in fact, such reselling is sponsored by the NFL via ticket exchange that they've even made commercials for).

You can transfer your tickets any week that you want.

You can still sell them. This doesn't change that.

You can transfer your tickets any week that you want.

You can still sell them. This doesn't change that.

Like I wrote, there has to be some carve-out or tens of thousands of PSL holders would sue them (and I don't see how they'd lose).

What's the mechanism, since there is no paper ticket for the 1-game buyer to hand in to gain entry?

Like I wrote, there has to be some carve-out or tens of thousands of PSL holders would sue them (and I don't see how they'd lose).

What's the mechanism, since there is no paper ticket for the 1-game buyer to hand in to gain entry?

Assuming like the Yankees or MSG, your ticket pruchase allows you to download a ticket with a bar code. That download can be emailed and transferred to someone else only once. Seems like if you have a season ticket you would get a download of 10 games and parking passes. Don't have the tickets any more, so I don't know what the Jets do, or if they subcontract it out to Ticketmaster or some company like that. But every individual ticket to any game or event allows you to do that rather than get delivery of a hard copy ticket.

Assuming like the Yankees or MSG, your ticket pruchase allows you to download a ticket with a bar code. That download can be emailed and transferred to someone else only once. Seems like if you have a season ticket you would get a download of 10 games and parking passes. Don't have the tickets any more, so I don't know what the Jets do, or if they subcontract it out to Ticketmaster or some company like that. But every individual ticket to any game or event allows you to do that rather than get delivery of a hard copy ticket.

Yes that is how they have to do it - anyone can transfer a electronic ticket by e-mail

Again, it didn't seem possible that they could have purely paperless tickets, but that is what I took from the article "The Jets are eliminating paper tickets -- each ticket holder will receive a wallet-sized smart card," which mentioned nothing about any downloading of anything.

Also they'd have to do something like that otherwise a ticket holder or PSL owner or whatever could potentially miss multiple games, waiting for a replacement if the card was lost or stolen.

Truth is, then, this is probably a lot easier for the PSL owners (the card stays in your wallet and there are no tickets to misplace or accidentally leave on the kitchen counter or something). But I see a lot of fraud in the future for those downloaded tickets (unless they're downloaded from the Jets' website BY the one buying resell tickets, with a guest password or something that expires after 1 use). Otherwise there will be thousands of fake tickets made in a photoshop or acrobat type program. That was the whole point of making paper tickets that had holograms or something similarly forgery-proof.

But people probably do this all the time for concert/show tickets already so what do I know.

The Patriots radio DJs were ripping this as another "ploy" for a "pathetic franchise" and their "pathetic fans".

Which is about what I'd expect from Patriots fans. Their inferiority complex will never diminish, no matter how much they win.

In my opinion, removing my point-of-view and context as a Jets fan, I think this actually a very innovative way for a sports franchise to leverage an established customer experience model for expanded and improved fan engagement. Yes, I know there'll be a LOT of people that bitch about how we need to win. I agree. That said, the work that Woody's corporate team has done in implementing small wrinkles to improve the fan experience - while totally lost on the old bitter farts - is setting the stage to cultivate better experiences at games and as a fan in general of this team. Which over time could help bolster every aspect of what the Jets stand for, it'll dictate what types of fans the Jets have for years to come. Making us more Pittsburgh, Seattle or Green Bay in our relationship with the team.

At the end of the day it takes nothing away from what they are putting into the team, and could potentially improve our home crowds.

This ******* organization.

Our owner is the off-spring of a consumer product monstrosity. To assume that he wouldn't lean on the current trends in improved and deliberate customer experience is naive. 

The Patriots radio DJs were ripping this as another "ploy" for a "pathetic franchise" and their "pathetic fans".

Which is about what I'd expect from Patriots fans. Their inferiority complex will never diminish, no matter how much they win.

In my opinion, removing my point-of-view and context as a Jets fan, I think this actually a very innovative way for a sports franchise to leverage an established customer experience model for expanded and improved fan engagement. Yes, I know there'll be a LOT of people that bitch about how we need to win. I agree. That said, the work that Woody's corporate team has done in implementing small wrinkles to improve the fan experience - while totally lost on the old bitter farts - is setting the stage to cultivate better experiences at games and as a fan in general of this team. Which over time could help bolster every aspect of what the Jets stand for, it'll dictate what types of fans the Jets have for years to come. Making us more Pittsburgh, Seattle or Green Bay in our relationship with the team.

At the end of the day it takes nothing away from what they are putting into the team, and could potentially improve our home crowds.

Granted I dont go to many games any more....but this. This is where sports is heading. I dont see what the issue is here other than folks who just dont like Woody.

Yeah the stadium sucks, the upper deck is awful, the lower deck is too expensive....but thats NY. Every stadium is absurdly expensive and over policed.

This.  I am not buying the whole conspiracy theory here.  The Jets save some money on mailers in the beginning of the season. And they give people incentives to go.  Will it work? Who knows but I think they should do everything in their power to give Jets fans an incentive to go and not sell their tickets. Because I am tired of it looking like a Steelers home game!

By Dom Cosentino | NJ.com 
Follow on Twitter 
on July 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM, updated July 23, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Reddit

Email

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The Jets on Tuesday revealed their new rewards points system for fans, but the announcement led to some confusion about what exactly the program entails.

The rewards system will work a lot like the frequent-user programs used by airlines and hotels: Ticket holders will enter MetLife Stadium using a scannable smart card instead of paper tickets, with redeemable points adding up based on a number of factors. Basically, the more you go and the more you watch at home or attend sponsored events, the more points you can accrue.

Points can be used on any number of things, with rewards including traveling to a road game on the team charter or sitting in owner Woody Johnson's game day suite, though such high-end rewards will be up for auction. Beginning this season, all season-ticket holders will automatically be enrolled in the program.

The Associated Press, which first reported the details about the system, described it as "a rewards plan for showing up regularly and behaving properly." The AP's initial dispatch also paraphrased Seth Rabinowitz, the Jets' vice president of marketing and fan engagement: "The program is not based on spending money for food or souvenirs, but on showing up, sharing what Rabinowitz calls a 'sense of community' and comporting oneself properly at games."

That "comporting oneself properly" phrase gave the impression that fans can earn rewards points for not being a drunken lout on game day. But in an interview Wednesday morning with NJ.com, Rabinowitz clarified what it all meant.

"There is no fan behavior component," Rabinowitz said. "Maybe it was not the best choice of words. But what fans will be rewarded for is attending the game, arriving 15 minutes early, and what we're calling 'fan assists,' like when the crowd noise forces false-start penalties and things like that.

"It has nothing to do with being polite or cordial helping someone to their seat. In no way, shape, or form is this a referendum on your conduct, and you can't lose points."

That's no doubt going to be a relief for this guy [video contains language NSFW].

More info can be found here. Some other program details Rabinowitz clarified:

• The program is an incentive for fans to use the team's ticket exchange, which hassome pricing restrictions. Fans who have a bundle of tickets that get used by different people can invite those people to join the program to get a card and accrue their own points. But this is optional. Fans who still want to sell tickets on their own or via a third-party are free to do so by printing them out at home and doing with them as they see fit; those outside sales or exchanges just won't count toward the rewards program.

• Points do not accrue from season to season. They begin adding up Aug. 1 and any unused points go poof! on July 31 the following year. "We want the fans to get the benefit of those rewards in the here and now," Rabinowitz said. "We'll make sure we have enough rewards where everyone can use them." Translation: The Jets don't want fans building up points over long periods of time in the hope of shouting into Rex Ryan's ear on the team plane. But fans in different tiers and fans who have been longtime season-ticket holders will start anew each year based on their tier/longstanding status.

• Rabinowitz said the Jets will not be sharing or reselling information contained on the cards to third-parties, though they will track data such as when card-holders enter the stadium for their own "operational" purposes.

• Fans and/or collectors who still want old-fashioned paper tickets can get them in the stadium at the team's flagship store for what Rabinowitz said was a "nominal" charitable donation.

Again, it didn't seem possible that they could have purely paperless tickets, but that is what I took from the article "The Jets are eliminating paper tickets -- each ticket holder will receive a wallet-sized smart card," which mentioned nothing about any downloading of anything.

Also they'd have to do something like that otherwise a ticket holder or PSL owner or whatever could potentially miss multiple games, waiting for a replacement if the card was lost or stolen.

Truth is, then, this is probably a lot easier for the PSL owners (the card stays in your wallet and there are no tickets to misplace or accidentally leave on the kitchen counter or something). But I see a lot of fraud in the future for those downloaded tickets (unless they're downloaded from the Jets' website BY the one buying resell tickets, with a guest password or something that expires after 1 use). Otherwise there will be thousands of fake tickets made in a photoshop or acrobat type program. That was the whole point of making paper tickets that had holograms or something similarly forgery-proof.

But people probably do this all the time for concert/show tickets already so what do I know.

There is an app on my phone called Passbook that is suppsoed to store such bar codes for hotel reservations and airline tickets. But I've never felt comfortable going paperless on such things because of exactly the kind of fraud you discuss. With quality computer printers forging a hard copy ticket is probably easier than it has ever been. 

There is an app on my phone called Passbook that is suppsoed to store such bar codes for hotel reservations and airline tickets. But I've never felt comfortable going paperless on such things because of exactly the kind of fraud you discuss. With quality computer printers forging a hard copy ticket is probably easier than it has ever been. 

No doubt, but it's even easier when the ticket can be edited by anyone with some relatively cheap computer software and any old printer.  Forging a hologram isn't splitting the atom, but it's a lot more involved than copying and pasting a barcode and clicking the print button 100x before heading out to the stadium parking lot.

No doubt, but it's even easier when the ticket can be edited by anyone with some relatively cheap computer software and any old printer.  Forging a hologram isn't splitting the atom, but it's a lot more involved than copying and pasting a barcode and clicking the print button 100x before heading out to the stadium parking lot.

That would suck, but only the first person is getting in.  The other 99 will have to find the thief in the parking lot and beat him for a refund.

Gillette Stadium- Capacity 68,756

MetLife Stadium- Capacity 82.500

When retard tongue Kraft builds his stadium to the size of the Met, the Pats fans, their radio blowhards and the media can all kiss my shiny black ass.   :-D

• 5 months later...

The art of a ticket stub... I always thought the Jet printed some of the best ticket stubs in the NFL..  Not that I think the card are not a bad idea but disappointed to see the NFL go this way..  Those card are not bad and I sure would like one for the Jets this past season. That KC card is not too bad..

PastJetStub.jpg?height=320&width=300

Now who wants this hanging in your office?
 ticketmaster.jpg?height=320&width=270

Will the Jets Fans get new cards for next year? Can you sell them to a collector?

Interesting...

Pretty dramatic changes going on...

Nothing more important to discuss than ticket stub quality and what do coaches and GMS pack for interviews though

Lol

It's called... Entertainment. GO COLTS.. 

Something tells me that the whole "electronic transfers won't be affected" thing won't be permanent. This reeks of setting up infrastructure to put a dent in the resellers market.

I agree, if one was to take this is pure speculation, you could pretty much piece together that what they're trying to do is eliminate the last of the ticket holders for buying the non- PSL tickets who are purchasing just to scalp.

In basic terms, they are using the same technique that supermarkets have used for years. not only will they be able to monitor the season ticket holder to know exactly how many games that they actually go to, they will know how many tickets are sold in the secondary market.

In the long run, they can limit the number of gameday tickets the season ticket holder would be allowed to purchase in the upper deck of all Jets home games.

Archived