I'm so happy the Jets didn't draft Manziel

GREENBEAN

This is happening already and in Ohio for Pete's sake.  He's already tired of the attention and it's not even training camp. Could you imagine what the NY media would be doing to this guy if he were on the Jets?   There are three Manziel articles on the first page of NFL.com today too. 

Whether or not he's ends up being a good QB in the NFL (which I personally do not) he would NEVER make it through the NY gauntlet.   This is going to be very interesting to see how first time coach, and pecker head, Mike Pettine handles all of this. 

Johnny Manziel sick of the attention, but doesn't plan to change

By Frank Schwab 18 hours ago Shutdown Corner
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

View photo

(USA Today Sports Images)

Cleveland Browns rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel doesn't want any more off-field attention. But he also isn't going to do anything to avoid it.

So, presumably, it shall continue, no matter how much Manziel is sick of it, and no matter how much his teammates are tired of it too (wow, that was fast).

Manziel was irked and defiant on Friday, speaking after participating in a youth football clinic as part of the NFL rookie symposium. He said his teammates are "tired of the hype." Then he continued that he is also tired of being a constant topic of conversation for his partying.

"I’m sitting here seeing these things and I’m tired of it as well," Manziel said in the interview, posted on YouTube by Ohio.com. "I want to wake up with a week and not have my name going through something." 

He's an interesting study in fame, because this hasn't really happened before in the sporting world. Not to this extent, anyway.

The latest issue was the "money phone" video. In it, he pretends a stack of money is a phone and makes a bad joke with an expletive about not being able to hear because he has too much money in his hand. It's not really all that exciting, interesting or even funny, but it became a thing. Because it's Manziel.

Here's why Manziel's case is so different than what we've seen: This isn't the mainstream media making the story. The media is reporting what becomes hot on social media with Manziel. The Akron Beacon Journal wasn't following around Manziel in Vegas, and the Cleveland Plain Dealer wasn't recording him floating on an inflatable swan. People are following around Manziel, waiting to capture that moment and share it. (Also, you can complain about the media writing about him, but Manziel stories are wildly popular among readers trust me and I'm positive that I'm not clicking them for you.)

"I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong," Manziel said. "I’m going out, and everybody on the weekends goes out and enjoys their life. Just for them, they don’t have people when they walk into a place pull out their phones and all they want to do is follow me around and record everything. My situation is unique and different."

Very unique. And let's get another thing straight. Manziel isn't the only NFL player who goes out on the weekends. Far from it. That has to frustrate Manziel. Vegas must have been crawling with NFL players on Memorial Day weekend, and he's the only one whose trip turned into a topic of conversation on social media. Nobody threw a fit when Andrew Luck was spotted in Brazil for the World Cup (nobody should have, either). Joe Montana isn't offering any other player advice on how to live his life, like he did Manziel.

If you think Manziel is the only player out on the weekends, while everyone else studies their playbooks and drinks some warm milk before tucking themselves into bed by 9:30 p.m., you're fooling yourself.

"I’m just like everybody else," Manziel said. "Things get blown out of proportion sometimes. Things seem to follow me a little bit.

"Just because of what’s reported in the media or what’s getting out on social media doesn’t mean that’s all that I’m doing in my life. Just my weekends aren’t what I’m doing seven days out of the week. That’s two days out of the week.

"If I want to go back home and spend time with my friends or go out and enjoy my weekends, I absolutely have the right to do that."

He has a point, and that's what makes the situation difficult. For the most part he has done nothing wrong. He got in one legal incident before he even became Texas A&M's starting quarterback, but there has been nothing serious since then. He pointed out that whatever he does on his off time isn't affecting his job, and it's not hurting his teammates. All true.

But he's trapped by his fame. Even if 99 of 100 people let him enjoy his time out in peace, the 100th person takes a cell-phone video of him making a dumb joke about a "money phone" and away we go again. And fans have proven they have an insatiable appetite for Manziel's life off the field. So it goes.

What's Manziel to do? Not go out to avoid attention? Go out and just deal with the backlash that comes, correctly reiterating time and again that he's committed to football but wants to enjoy his time off as well?

"When I walk in somewhere it‘s a story," Manziel said. "I have to have a better understanding of that."

Manziel paused briefly and looked down, measuring his next words.

"I’m not going to change who I am for anybody," he said.

- - - - - - -

schwab75mug2.jpg
Frank Schwab is the editor of Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at shutdowncorner@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter! Follow @YahooSchwab

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if he's ever considered the difference between going out and going out and lying on an inflatable swan while drinking from the bottle? I'm sure if Andrew Luck did that, it would be news too.

LOL  Exactly.  "I’m not going to change who I am for anybody," he said.

And who I am is a swan lovin whiskey drinkin fella. And I aint a changin! 

This guy has train wreck written all over him.   It would be significantly worse in NYC too. The sharks here would be having business meetings on how to systematically destroy him.  He's lucky he's in the abyss that is Cleveland.

how does the board equate Manziel's behavior to that of Broadway Joe? Now of course Namath's celebrity and off field antics didn't really hit their Zenith until after the "Guarantee" but I see much the same with Johnny Football. With Joe, it was endearing to me as a young boy, In Manziel, as a 50 yr. old man I find it annoying. I guess it all depends where you're at in life. 30 yrs. ago I probably would have thought this guy "the BOMB!!" It's this Millennial generation!

how does the board equate Manziel's behavior to that of Broadway Joe? Now of course Namath's celebrity and off field antics didn't really hit their Zenith until after the "Guarantee" but I see much the same with Johnny Football. With Joe, it was endearing to me as a young boy, In Manziel, as a 50 yr. old man I find it annoying. I guess it all depends where you're at in life. 30 yrs. ago I probably would have thought this guy "the BOMB!!" It's this Millennial generation!

Namath never whined about all the booze and women. There's your real difference.

Nope I'm 25, part of the Millennial generation and I think he's a huge jackass. This was among the reasons that I didn't want him, besides the fact that I don't think he'll make it in the NFL. Nowadays people like this get too much media attention and they eventually crumble. I'm really getting excited for a potential for Ryan Leaf meltdown...I can feel it coming.

Namath never whined about all the booze and women. There's your real difference.

True! If you love the celebrity and notoriety, you can't complain when it starts biting you in the A$$. Kid should be trying to win over the Vets in the locker-room.... not giving them a reason to see you be humbled & fail

Nope I'm 25, part of the Millennial generation and I think he's a huge jackass. This was among the reasons that I didn't want him, besides the fact that I don't think he'll make it in the NFL. Nowadays people like this get too much media attention and they eventually crumble. I'm really getting excited for a potential for Ryan Leaf meltdown...I can feel it coming.

You're mature beyond your years! This is the "Selfie" generation. "Hey everybody, look at Me!!"

You're mature beyond your years! This is the "Selfie" generation. "Hey everybody, look at Me!!"

True I've never taken a selfie and don't really get it. There are definitely times I don't understand my generation, but I do go out every weekend so I don't have a problem with him going out, I just know if I saw him in a bar I would think he's a huge tool.

This is happening already and in Ohio for Pete's sake.  He's already tired of the attention and it's not even training camp. Could you imagine what the NY media would be doing to this guy if he were on the Jets?   There are three Manziel articles on the first page of NFL.com today too. 

Whether or not he's ends up being a good QB in the NFL (which I personally do not) he would NEVER make it through the NY gauntlet.   This is going to be very interesting to see how first time coach, and pecker head, Mike Pettine handles all of this. 

Johnny Manziel sick of the attention, but doesn't plan to change

By Frank Schwab 18 hours ago Shutdown Corner
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

View photo

(USA Today Sports Images)

Cleveland Browns rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel doesn't want any more off-field attention. But he also isn't going to do anything to avoid it.

So, presumably, it shall continue, no matter how much Manziel is sick of it, and no matter how much his teammates are tired of it too (wow, that was fast).

Manziel was irked and defiant on Friday, speaking after participating in a youth football clinic as part of the NFL rookie symposium. He said his teammates are "tired of the hype." Then he continued that he is also tired of being a constant topic of conversation for his partying.

"I’m sitting here seeing these things and I’m tired of it as well," Manziel said in the interview, posted on YouTube by Ohio.com. "I want to wake up with a week and not have my name going through something." 

He's an interesting study in fame, because this hasn't really happened before in the sporting world. Not to this extent, anyway.

The latest issue was the "money phone" video. In it, he pretends a stack of money is a phone and makes a bad joke with an expletive about not being able to hear because he has too much money in his hand. It's not really all that exciting, interesting or even funny, but it became a thing. Because it's Manziel.

Here's why Manziel's case is so different than what we've seen: This isn't the mainstream media making the story. The media is reporting what becomes hot on social media with Manziel. The Akron Beacon Journal wasn't following around Manziel in Vegas, and the Cleveland Plain Dealer wasn't recording him floating on an inflatable swan. People are following around Manziel, waiting to capture that moment and share it. (Also, you can complain about the media writing about him, but Manziel stories are wildly popular among readers — trust me — and I'm positive that I'm not clicking them for you.)

"I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong," Manziel said. "I’m going out, and everybody on the weekends goes out and enjoys their life. Just for them, they don’t have people when they walk into a place pull out their phones and all they want to do is follow me around and record everything. My situation is unique and different."

Very unique. And let's get another thing straight. Manziel isn't the only NFL player who goes out on the weekends. Far from it. That has to frustrate Manziel. Vegas must have been crawling with NFL players on Memorial Day weekend, and he's the only one whose trip turned into a topic of conversation on social media. Nobody threw a fit when Andrew Luck was spotted in Brazil for the World Cup (nobody should have, either). Joe Montana isn't offering any other player advice on how to live his life, like he did Manziel.

If you think Manziel is the only player out on the weekends, while everyone else studies their playbooks and drinks some warm milk before tucking themselves into bed by 9:30 p.m., you're fooling yourself.

"I’m just like everybody else," Manziel said. "Things get blown out of proportion sometimes. Things seem to follow me a little bit.

"Just because of what’s reported in the media or what’s getting out on social media doesn’t mean that’s all that I’m doing in my life. Just my weekends aren’t what I’m doing seven days out of the week. That’s two days out of the week.

"If I want to go back home and spend time with my friends or go out and enjoy my weekends, I absolutely have the right to do that."

He has a point, and that's what makes the situation difficult. For the most part he has done nothing wrong. He got in one legal incident before he even became Texas A&M's starting quarterback, but there has been nothing serious since then. He pointed out that whatever he does on his off time isn't affecting his job, and it's not hurting his teammates. All true.

But he's trapped by his fame. Even if 99 of 100 people let him enjoy his time out in peace, the 100th person takes a cell-phone video of him making a dumb joke about a "money phone" and away we go again. And fans have proven they have an insatiable appetite for Manziel's life off the field. So it goes.

What's Manziel to do? Not go out to avoid attention? Go out and just deal with the backlash that comes, correctly reiterating time and again that he's committed to football but wants to enjoy his time off as well?

"When I walk in somewhere it‘s a story," Manziel said. "I have to have a better understanding of that."

Manziel paused briefly and looked down, measuring his next words.

"I’m not going to change who I am for anybody," he said.

- - - - - - -

schwab75mug2.jpg
Frank Schwab is the editor of Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at shutdowncorner@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter! Follow @YahooSchwab

Im glad that we didnt draft Manziel because both Bridgewater and the QB we currently have I believe will be better than him. 

Terrance West: Johnny Manziel questions distracting
  • _Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg
  •  

print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The League Editor
  • Published: June 27, 2014 at 03:49 p.m.
  • Updated: June 28, 2014 at 04:01 p.m.

Johnny Manziel isn't the only one that wants to see less of Johnny Manziel in the headlines. Some of his teammates have grown tired of answering questions about him.

Harrison: All-Time All-Rookie Team
Elliot-Harrison_110827_65.jpgOver the course of NFL history, which players have enjoyed the finest rookie campaigns? Elliot Harrisonforms a team. READ

"It's a distraction," running back Terrance West said Fridayof all the attention.

It's not just Manziel's teammates. Everyone from Joe Namath to Joe Montana has a take on Manziel, and most of them have a variation of the same theme: Tone it down. (Or this.)

"I'm just like any other rookie out here that they haven't got asked about a thousand times," Manziel said. "So more than anything, I think tired of that. They're tired of the hype -- which I am as well. So I'm sitting there seeing these things and I'm tired of it as well. I want to wake up with a week and not have my name going through something, and I'm working on getting better at that."

West and Browns pass rusher Paul Kruger have expressed frustration with all the Manziel questions, and we don't blame them. But they might be as well get used to it: Manzielmania is only getting started.

The latest "Around The League Podcastranks the league's top tight ends and debates Andrew Luckvs. Cam Newton.

This piss ant will be lucky to be walking by seasons end if he gets many snaps.

There's some defensive personnel, like everyone that's facing him, that are salivating at the prospect of knocking him into the coming week if he gets on the field. 

Can't say that I'd feel bad if that happened.

I personally don't see any thing that he has done wrong at all. he is a kid,acting like a kid. big fing deal. we have all been there. I am sure there are countless rookies doing the same thing he is doing.but he is manziel so the media has a field day. there is nothing wrong with his generation. same thoughts older people had at any younger generation. its the people that feed the media wolf in this country that are fcked up.. kid sits on a raft and has a drink."wow!! what a tool". that's the real problem. not manziel acting his age and having fun

I personally don't see any thing that he has done wrong at all. he is a kid,acting like a kid. big fing deal. we have all been there. I am sure there are countless rookies doing the same thing he is doing.but he is manziel so the media has a field day. there is nothing wrong with his generation. same thoughts older people had at any younger generation. its the people that feed the media wolf in this country that are fcked up.. kid sits on a raft and has a drink."wow!! what a tool". that's the real problem. not manziel acting his age and having fun

I think it's a bit more.  He has done everything he can to keep the spotlight on him.  Someone in the spotlight - and craving it with such zeal - should have half the wisdom required to not do stupid things that will make him a famous target rather than just merely famous.  Everyone his age doesn't do the money thing rubbing his fingers together after plummeting over a dozen spots in round 1.  And his lapses in judgment - the way he handles his celebrity - didn't begin when sitting upon a swan float.  Nothing he's done, on its own, is worth raising an eyebrow over. It's more the repetition of things where he can't stay out of the spotlight at a time in his career when he should be doing just that.

He dropped like a stone in the draft.

The team that drafted him also passed on him with their first pick in said draft.

He's presently the #2 QB on his team.

He has less than elite or ideal tools physically.

He's just about the youngest player on the team.

He's playing for a doormat team whose best WR is going to get suspended for the season.

He's already got a reputation for being a spoiled rich kid who seeks the spotlight for himself so hard that he actually trademarks a nickname before turning pro. And the nickname isn't anything personal to him; it's one that suggests he's the ubiquitous QB or football player in general: Johnny Football.  Never mind how stupid of a name it is and how it sounds like something a bad screen writer would make up for some laughably-bad Keanu Reeves role.  

Now when someone is in a situation like this, he should probably cease from activity that is going to draw negative attention to himself. I'm sure the team - particularly the coaches and veteran players - don't think much of it.  What would be a step showing he's maturing is to leave out the last quote he gave.  At least until he's done something at this level other than practice, as his bottom-dweller team's backup QB.  

How smart does someone come across when he incredulously whines about the spotlight following him, and how it's not his fault (virtually suggesting he's never sought this attention, which is laughable), and then his final statement in a supposed mea culpa interview is that he's not going to change for anybody. This would presumably include for any coach or any teammate.

While he's just a kid, it's still a stupid thing to say in the situation, and it's a stupid way to say it.  Not "I have to be true to who I am," or some half-intelligent way of saying this is what's made me the player I've been but I still have a lot of learning to do.  Nope, not Manziel.  From Johnny Football's mouth, it's "I'm not going to change who I am for anybody." This shows more that merely a kid having fun.  Rather, it shows his deep-rooted stubbornness and immaturity, which is a bad combination for someone who's already so famous before becoming the #1 QB on a franchise with one playoff game (a loss) since the mid-90s.

I think it's a bit more.  He has done everything he can to keep the spotlight on him.  Someone in the spotlight - and craving it with such zeal - should have half the wisdom required to not do stupid things that will make him a famous target rather than just merely famous.  Everyone his age doesn't do the money thing rubbing his fingers together after plummeting over a dozen spots in round 1.  And his lapses in judgment - the way he handles his celebrity - didn't begin when sitting upon a swan float.  Nothing he's done, on its own, is worth raising an eyebrow over. It's more the repetition of things where he can't stay out of the spotlight at a time in his career when he should be doing just that.

The team that drafted him also passed on him with their first pick in said draft.

He's playing for a doormat team whose best WR is going to get suspended for the season.

He's already got a reputation for being a spoiled rich kid who seeks the spotlight for himself so hard that he actually trademarks a nickname before turning pro. And the nickname isn't anything personal to him; it's one that suggests he's the ubiquitous QB or football player in general: Johnny Football.  Never mind how stupid of a name it is and how it sounds like something a bad screen writer would make up for some laughably-bad Keanu Reeves role.  

Now when someone is in a situation like this, he should probably cease from activity that is going to draw negative attention to himself. I'm sure the team - particularly the coaches and veteran players - don't think much of it.  What would be a step showing he's maturing is to leave out the last quote he gave.  At least until he's done something at this level other than practice, as his bottom-dweller team's backup QB.  

How smart does someone come across when he incredulously whines about the spotlight following him, and how it's not his fault (virtually suggesting he's never sought this attention, which is laughable), and then his final statement in a supposed mea culpa interview is that he's not going to change for anybody. This would presumably include for any coach or any teammate.

While he's just a kid, it's still a stupid thing to say in the situation, and it's a stupid way to say it.  Not "I have to be true to who I am," or some half-intelligent way of saying this is what's made me the player I've been but I still have a lot of learning to do.  Nope, not Manziel.  From Johnny Football's mouth, it's "I'm not going to change who I am for anybody." This shows more that merely a kid having fun.  Rather, it shows his deep-rooted stubbornness and immaturity, which is a bad combination for someone who's already so famous before becoming the #1 QB on a franchise with one playoff game (a loss) since the mid-90s.

This reflects more on society than it does the football player.  The media created the whole "let me create my brand" of sports figures.  From the bad movies you cited to the many good ones.  Manziel is young, at times immature man who likes to party and play football.  Wow.  Imagine that.  Of course, if he was gay (ala Michael Sam) that media would endorse the cute way the player was acting and berating others for not liking the way he conducts himself.  Of course, he's not handling this in a way that I endorse but I've never played our national pastime at a high level, while having beautiful young women throw themselves at me and oh yeah collecting millions of dollars for playing a game.

Im confused, are you an Eagles fan or a Jets fan?

Im a Jets fan, and Im an NFL fan during the offseason. My comment that you quoted was based on the Jets. If the Jets took a QB at 18 I would have preferred Bridgewater over Manziel. And I was saying that both Geno and Bridgewater I feel will be better than Manziel when its said and done. 

the jets would have been the worst place for the kid.  caustic beat writers with a desperate need for daily shrill scandalous headlines and NYC as his playground and a team struggling to get away from a circus label

he will probably do better with his second team

This reflects more on society than it does the football player.  The media created the whole "let me create my brand" of sports figures.  From the bad movies you cited to the many good ones.  Manziel is young, at times immature man who likes to party and play football.  Wow.  Imagine that.  Of course, if he was gay (ala Michael Sam) that media would endorse the cute way the player was acting and berating others for not liking the way he conducts himself.  Of course, he's not handling this in a way that I endorse but I've never played our national pastime at a high level, while having beautiful young women throw themselves at me and oh yeah collecting millions of dollars for playing a game.

Lol.  

I've got a better one: Blame Canada!!

Im a Jets fan, and Im an NFL fan during the offseason. My comment that you quoted was based on the Jets. If the Jets took a QB at 18 I would have preferred Bridgewater over Manziel. And I was saying that both Geno and Bridgewater I feel will be better than Manziel when its said and done.

How can you not see how this makes you look like an Eagles fan?

new rule for you. if you want to respond to my posts, its gotta be 300 words or less.lol

plus 1  lol

great posts. you know "who doesn't change for anybody"?? criminals, the insane, and d*ckheads. how the hell did "not changing for nobody or nothing!" become a damn virtue? society is ******* worthless.

Archived