I'm so happy the Jets didn't draft Manziel

GREENBEAN

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but who do you think is better, Vick or Geno?

I think Geno is better because he has a higher ceiling. 

As for who is better today, I dont know. I have to see the preseason. From what I've heard from Minicamp and OTA's Geno is looking great while Vick is looking a little suspect. 

I think Geno is better because he has a higher ceiling. 

As for who is better today, I dont know. I have to see the preseason. From what I've heard from Minicamp and OTA's Geno is looking great while Vick is looking a little suspect. 

I can feel it, Geno will be a top 5 QB this year!

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on SportsCenter Friday that the Browns have approached Johnny Manziel about "toning it down," with regard to his actions on social media.

Owner Jimmy Haslam was "bothered" by Manziel's recent posting of a "Money Phone" (stack of bills held to the ear) on Instagram. The Browns seem more concerned with Manziel's social media behavior than his well-publicized weekend partying. Approached by the Cleveland Plain Dealer Friday morning, Manziel told the paper "I don't think I'm doing anything wrong," and "I'm not going to change for anybody." Earlier this month, Ben Tate described media coverage of Manziel as "annoying," hinting it may be a distraction in the locker room. ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi stated Friday that he's never seen Manziel-like behavior from a Browns player. Grossi has been covering the Browns for 30 years.

Former Bengals megabust Akili Smith says Johnny Manziel's behavior reminds him of himself.

Smith admits he was a heavy drinker who made regular trips to Vegas during his playing days, and "focused on partying first and everything else second." "Yeah, it's written all over the wall with some of the things he's doing in the offseason, going to Vegas and all that stuff," Smith said of Manziel. "He needs to put all that type of stuff to the side right now and focus on his career." Manziel can shut up his detractors by beating out Brian Hoyer and playing well on Sundays. If he doesn't, concerns about his flashy lifestyle will grow louder.

Johnny Manziel said he believes he will be the starting quarterback in Week 1.
Manziel was "emphatic" when asked if he expects to start, but acknowledged he still doesn't have a full grasp of the playbook. He also admits the Browns' offense is "more complex" than the "very simple system" he ran at Texas A&M. Manziel will enter training camp behind Brian Hoyer, but it would be a disappointment if he doesn't beat him out. He's the heavy favorite to start Week 1 in Pittsburgh. Jun 28 - 2:17 PM

Sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter that the Browns are trying to sign QB Brian Hoyer to a contract extension.
Hoyer is entering the final year of a deal that will pay him $1 million. Cleveland's desire to extend him suggests they're very optimistic on the progress of his surgically-repaired ACL, and also view him as a long-term backup to first-round rookie Johnny Manziel. The 28-year-old Hoyer went 2-0 in games he started and finished last season, and will enter this year's camp as the tentative starter. Matt Cassel, also a "bridge" quarterback for Minnesota's Teddy Bridgewater, got a two-year, $10 million deal in March. Jun 30 - 10:05 AM

Brian Hoyer's agent said it will be "very difficult" to work out a contract extension with the Browns.
"We're always open to talking with the Browns, but we're content to wait and see what happens down the road," said player rep Joe Linta, who also reps Joe Flacco. It's not a surprising take as Hoyer could always settle for backup money down the line, but could land a far bigger contract if he's able to hold off Johnny Manziel and show well in starting opportunities this year. Jun 30 - 12:20 PM
Source: NFL.com

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on SportsCenter Friday that the Browns have approached Johnny Manziel about "toning it down," with regard to his actions on social media.

Owner Jimmy Haslam was "bothered" by Manziel's recent posting of a "Money Phone" (stack of bills held to the ear) on Instagram. The Browns seem more concerned with Manziel's social media behavior than his well-publicized weekend partying. Approached by the Cleveland Plain Dealer Friday morning, Manziel told the paper "I don't think I'm doing anything wrong," and "I'm not going to change for anybody." Earlier this month, Ben Tate described media coverage of Manziel as "annoying," hinting it may be a distraction in the locker room. ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi stated Friday that he's never seen Manziel-like behavior from a Browns player. Grossi has been covering the Browns for 30 years.

An owner who is arguably a criminal fraud tells him to "tone it down".

I'm no genius. Think the Jets made ANOTHER grievous mistake not taking Manziel  over a safety?

But let's revisit all this around the first week in January.

The media, or that of it that is not on vacation or covering soccer or baseball, likes stories about people acting like knuckleheads. Wold suggest any red-blooded American male of 20 something age with a thick wallet and a big job ahead of him might blow off some steam. I did also see a guy talk to Jon Gruden about offense like he spent a lot of time watching film. The idea of being a douchebag and being a great QB are not mutually exclusive. And if he's your talented QB douchebag, as our pals in Denver and new England know, he's a great guy.

QFT ;)

Set it up on a  tee for you.

We really don't know if Manziel is that big an a-hole or the prevalence of cell phones and 24/7  social media simply makes celebrities acting like dickbags more open. Lawrence Taylor, Michael Irvin and the old time Raiders would've never lasted 10 minutes in this.Ken Stabler's only real punishment for associating with known gamblers down south his entire NFL career was basically never being allowed in Canton.Rumor amongst gamblers in the 1970s that later in his career he threw games or shaved points or both.  In a 24/7 new cycle he would've been drummed out of the NFL and disgraced. But there wasn't anyone  really to cover that story.

Manziel may in fact be  a total douchebag, but douchebags do occasionally succeed. 

We can again revisit all this in January. Suspect we have a few months of at least crappy Jet QB play to discuss regardless.

Found this on Pro Football Talk...

This is proof of nothing, but can anyone think of a reason for rolling up dollar bills in the bathroom that isn't to do cocaine?

manziel2.jpg?w=235

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/07/manziels-latest-vegas-trip-creates-an-interesting-photo/

Let's not jump to any extreme conclusions here. That could just as easily be for meth or heroin.

Act III of the Pettine Circus.

Wonder if he'll get an immediate drug test or if the league sees him as too marketable to get a "random" one until after it's out of his system.

Blow is out of the system in 72 hours. So depending on what night this was, it may be fruitless. 

once upon a time Dan Marino fell in the draft due to coke rumors

Lawrence Taylor basically played his whole career tooted out of his gourd.

In other words, who cares?  

This is a bit more than a rumor, no? First off, he's not in college anymore.  He's on an NFL roster.  Next, the kid is a thousand times more of a media magnet than Marino was (not to mention in Marino's draft day, most people still didn't receive more than a handful of TV channels anyway, to say nothing of the internet, and social media at that).  Last, this isn't a rumor.  The kid is rolling a 20 into a straw in a Vegas men's room and there's a freaking picture of it on the internet.

If you were a Browns fan, you'd care plenty. If you were a Browns GM, owner, coach, or teammate, you'd also care.  It shows the judgment of the kid after he was drafted, paid, and brought in to be the team's franchise QB.  Plus unlike in the past, the NFL does a lot of random drug testing now, and he's doing this in public? lol

He may very well still turn into a quality QB.  But he's already on his way to crashing/burning before his first training camp.  Already, the coach is sick of him, the owner is sick of him, and at least some teammates (that we know of; maybe most) are sick of him.

Last, this isn't a rumor.  The kid is rolling a 20 into a straw in a Vegas men's room and there's a freaking picture of it on the internet.

if he wins games and doesn't fail drug tests, it doesn't matter. Seriously. all that matters is winning. Manziel is a winner and he will probably help that terrible awful franchise beat some teams this year.  he doesn't have to marry your daughter. This isn't Mangini's NFL. He doesn't have to be a choir boy. All he has to do is win games. 

if he wins games and doesn't fail drug tests, it doesn't matter. Seriously. all that matters is winning. Manziel is a winner and he will probably help that terrible awful franchise beat some teams this year.  he doesn't have to marry your daughter. This isn't Mangini's NFL. He doesn't have to be a choir boy. All he has to do is win games. 

We'll see.  Erik Ainge was a winner in college also.  So were a couple hundred other guys.

Archived