Namath: "Nothing to me is outstanding about Geno smith"

flgreen

Joe's comments about Mark frequently included the idea that he would turn the corner and that he's a good player.  Joe's comments about Geno have always lacked optimism, starting with questioning the merit of drafting him or a QB at all, this about how nothing he sees is outstanding, and about how he'd like it if Boyd or Simms were to beat Geno out.

Seems like he made up his mind about both players very early on and then added his comments regardless of what was seen on the field.

One was a top 5 pick.

One was a 2nd rounder.

I don't think it's criminal that he has less willingness to give up on the top 5 pick. It would have been better for all of us if Sanchez did turn the corner. I also don't think it's criminal that he forms an opinion and sticks with it, he's known football his whole life. Might have something to do with his unwillingness to abandon his opinion.

It cracks me up how quickly fans turn into the thought police when it concerns Namath. 

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fwiw..  I was more offended when he had positive things to say about Sanchez then saying negative things about Geno. At least the latter indicates he's at least paying attention

This is true.

So Namath lays out the truth once again and the butt hurt Jets fans start crying.

This fan base is incredible ...Its either total denial or its eternal optimism

What Namath is really trying to say in a nice way if that Geno is most likely not the guy

Bingo.

One was a top 5 pick.

One was a 2nd rounder.

I don't think it's criminal that he has less willingness to give up on the top 5 pick. It would have been better for all of us if Sanchez did turn the corner. I also don't think it's criminal that he forms an opinion and sticks with it, he's known football his whole life. Might have something to do with his unwillingness to abandon his opinion.

It cracks me up how quickly fans turn into the thought police when it concerns Namath. 

Unwillingness to change ones opinion in light of evidence is the hallmark of stupidity.

One was a top 5 pick.

One was a 2nd rounder.

Please, tell me how to think while you bag on the board for being the thought police.

Unwillingness to change ones opinion in light of evidence is the hallmark of stupidity.

Or perhaps the hallmark of someone that isn't used to being wrong. 

This argument isn't about his intelligence, he's a football player - it should be a given. To me, it's about him choosing to be honest, and honesty is better than pandering.

If anything, Brees should be the perfect example of why it's difficult to try to make a definitive evaluation of a guy like Geno this early on.  That's not to say you can't think he's going to suck, because that's certainly your prerogative, but I don't see the basis for this mysterious ceiling you seem to think exists.  Brees was considered a monumental bust through the first 3 years of his career, and absolutely nobody was talking about his "it factor" back then.  I mean hell, his numbers in his third year weren't all that far off from Geno's rookie year, which is really saying something.

Rodgers, on the other hand, was still sitting on his ass for another 2 years at this point in his career.  Of course that doesn't mean Geno is destined to ever be as good as either of those guys, but there's a difference between that and saying the best he could be is significantly worse than any of those guys.  I'm still unsure of Geno myself, but there were certainly some flashes in there, and outside of that mess of a first Pats game, he actually seemed to step up and be at his best in the close games, which is something this team hasn't seen at QB since... hell, I don't even know.

There's certainly a chance Geno winds up being a complete bust, especially since this is the freakin' Jets we're talking about after all, but I guess I'm just not buying into this concept that he's already doomed to be nothing more than mediocre-at-best.

I have no idea what Geno will ultimately become other than my opinion based on watching him play. Just throwing out my opinion, when Geno is much better than this, you can remind me of this opinion and I will happily eat crow and buy you a beer.

Wadded up today, eh?

Wadded up?  Who are you, Tex? 

I personally don't give a **** what Namath said.  It seemed like some pretty innocuous comments with a sensationalist headline.  It is just kind of funny to act like we should all bow down to Joe after his drunken antics over the years.  He made the organization relevant?  He also made them a laughingstock.  I don’t even think Joe would deny that. 

So Namath lays out the truth once again and the butt hurt Jets fans start crying.

What Namath is really trying to say in a nice way if that Geno is most likely not the guy

It seems as though if you say anything about Geno, Rexy or Idzik around these parts, you gonna piss off some serious peoples! Joe better be on notice, don't say anything negative about any of those 3, or you will feel their wrath!

Or perhaps the hallmark of someone that isn't used to being wrong. 

This argument isn't about his intelligence, he's a football player - it should be a given. To me, it's about him choosing to be honest, and honesty is better than pandering.

Honesty is fine.  But understand that honesty comes with a backlash too.  My entire point is that he can't take the opposite stance of the organization constantly and still expect to be the mascot.  Wouldn't work for the Philly Phanatic either.

how can we judge him without weapons

I personally don't give a **** what Namath said.  It seemed like some pretty innocuous comments with a sensationalist headline.  It is just kind of funny to act like we should all bow down to Joe after his drunken antics over the years.  He made the organization relevant?  He also made them a laughingstock.  I don’t even think Joe would deny that. 

Ownership, ineptitude and the fans are the top 3 reasons this team is a laughingstock. Namath's drunken antics are just a notch on a 50 year timeline of pathetic.

Honesty is fine.  But understand that honesty comes with a backlash too.  My entire point is that he can't take the opposite stance of the organization constantly and still expect to be the mascot.  Wouldn't work for the Philly Phanatic either.

I wouldn't argue any different than the bold. However, I think the backlash that this fan base has towards his honesty is absurdly ironic. They call him senile and alcoholic and stupid because he's not being positive, or at least the excerpts taken from his soundbytes and used as headlines are not optimistic. If you actually read everything he says, he spends a lot of time on what's good and bad, but nobody cares about that. The debates always stem from a methodically chosen headline quote that gets certain types of fans all bent out of shape. 

If Namath did nothing but heap praise on the Jets, these same people would probably be accusing him of being on the payroll, pandering to the fans, and being senile, etc. It's a no-win situation, same as what happened to Fireman Ed, there's always a contingency of this miserable fan base that has hates on the high profile "fans" as if they envy the platform they have.

At the end of the day, Joe is honest, when he could be full of sh*t. If he really wanted to be the mascot, as you suggest, why would he opt for honesty, when it's clear it puts him on the outs with part of the fan base? 

No whats he's actually saying is "I cant say he sucks because it would come across as being to critical or unsupportive of the organization.  So I'll try and be diplomatic about it  and say ' Nothing to me is outstanding about it (his attributes) , but it's pretty good." So if you can read, then read between the lines.

This screams..........Eugene sucks'.  

Thanks Joe. Hopefully Idzik and Woody Woodpecker  get the message.  

Joe Namath should shut up. He has criticized the Jets way to much for a former Super Bowl 3 MVP. go drink a beer Joe Namath.

Please no more criticism this is probably why the Jets don't ask for Mr.Namaths opinions. He is proving to be more of a Clown. Old Geezer should shut up

Joe Namath should shut up. He has criticized the Jets way to much for a former Super Bowl 3 MVP. go drink a beer Joe Namath.

Please no more criticism this is probably why the Jets don't ask for Mr.Namaths opinions. He is proving to be more of a Clown. Old Geezer should

shut up

ummm, have you seen the Jets much since Super Bowl 3?

Do you think they deserved praise since then? I think they have been far more deserving of criticism than praise over that time.

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up for me.  I don't really worry too much about what Namath has to say, he has the right to his opinion, and in this case the headline is definitely an attempt by the douchebag media to stir up something more than what was there.  Granted, he has definitely made deliberate attempts to draw attention for himself in the past with some of his comments and actions, but I really don't give a crap.

However, I also don't buy this concept that he, and every word he says, needs to be held up onto some pedestal for all of his days because of something he did over 45 years ago, especially considering that's long before a great number of the folks on this board were watching, or in many cases even alive.

Archived