I'm 61, When will Jets win next SuperBowl?

SouthernJet

I'm 61, When will Jets win next SuperBowl?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. I'm 61, When will Jets win next SuperBowl?

• While I can still know whats happening and enjoy it?
    • While JGB's is changing my Diaper whilst I live on his Living Room couch
    • I am on the wrong side of dirt?

It really read like you were calculating the odds of having gone these past years without a SB win.

let me save you the suspense--the odds of Jets going from 1969 to 2014 without a superbowl win is exactly 100%. the math is too complicated to write out here so you'll have to trust me.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem is I have no faith that Herman or Woodrow will pick someone who can win it all.

These nickname attempts are worse than Oswald's Eugene shtick. Woody's real name is Robert. You could go with that. His middle name is just Wood. But really, the guy's name is Woody Johnson. You actually think you can come up with something more ironic/iconic than that? It's right there on a silver platter for you!

And Herman for Idzik? Yeah, we get it, the guy ain't all that handsome... *rolls eyes*

Overall, these are just horrendous attempts at "jokes." You should probably just stick to battling it out with strawmen.

When will it happen? 

I saw SB III with my Dad when I was 16. Little did i realize I would have a wife, 3 kids, 5 grandkids and 42 years with IBM next month before I have seen another :(

Never mind the Jets, how did you survive 42 years with IBM no RA, no sourcing. I work at the Poughkeepsie Plant, everyday could be your last. Hell, with the Jets, I just want a home championship game, in fact how bout  a home playoff game

let me save you the suspense--the odds of Jets going from 1969 to 2014 without a superbowl win is exactly 100%. the math is too complicated to write out here so you'll have to trust me.

You know what I meant.  You wrote it as though the odds of not winning one from the perspective of someone in Sept 1969 (with the Jets as incumbent champs) looking forward was not 100%.

But each year they did not have a 1/32 chance (or 1/30 chance or 1/28 chance or 1/26 chance or however many teams there were in any year along the way).

Likewise, they will not have a 1/32 chance every year.  Every team does not have an equal chance every year.  Under the rules they have a equal chances, but in practical terms they do not.

sticking-out-tongue.jpg

You know what I meant.  You wrote it as though the odds of not winning one from the perspective of someone in Sept 1969 (with the Jets as incumbent champs) looking forward was not 100%.

But each year they did not have a 1/32 chance (or 1/30 chance or 1/28 chance or 1/26 chance or however many teams there were in any year along the way).

Likewise, they will not have a 1/32 chance every year.  Every team does not have an equal chance every year.  Under the rules they have a equal chances, but in practical terms they do not.

sticking-out-tongue.jpg

no, it wasn't written and couldn't be reasonably read that way. unless you thought SJ was in diapers at 26 years old (my parenthetical next to 10 year odds of winning), or after 16 years where i put this is when you're expected to live until. or did you think he died 16 years after SBIII and is a zombie? come on man, this is a very poor troll even by your low standard.

no, it wasn't written and couldn't be reasonably read that way. unless you thought SJ was in diapers at 26 years old (my parenthetical next to 10 year odds of winning), or after 16 years where i put this is when you're expected to live until. or did you think he died 16 years after SBIII and is a zombie? come on man, this is a very poor troll even by your low standard.

You flatter yourself into thinking I read much more than your boldface line: Odds of going this long without winning.

Even more reason the odds don't add up: they are adding more WC teams.  Or does your calculation assume that the odds of winning a SB are the same whether there's 1, 2, or 3 WC teams per conference? Eventually a #7 seed will win a SB.  But until then, the team that would have ended up #7 would be outside looking in.

Give it up. I have enough time available to do this until the Jets win another SB.  Do you have any idea how long that could be? 

Exactly.

You flatter yourself into thinking I read much more than your boldface line: Odds of going this long without winning.

Even more reason the odds don't add up: they are adding more WC teams.  Or does your calculation assume that the odds of winning a SB are the same whether there's 1, 2, or 3 WC teams per conference? Eventually a #7 seed will win a SB.  But until then, the team that would have ended up #7 would be outside looking in.

Give it up. I have enough time available to do this until the Jets win another SB.  Do you have any idea how long that could be? 

Exactly.

thanks for proving my point that there are so many variables to the future that you must rely on a 1/32 figure because we just can't know enough to make a more educated guess than that over long timeframes. If teams are added then we simply change the figure to 1/34 or whatever. thanks for proving my entire premise so clearly by your paralyzing confusion about the future.

for you i will calculate the odds that the sun rose every day from january 1, 1752 until this morning. stay tuned.

When will it happen? 

I saw SB III with my Dad when I was 16. Little did i realize I would have a wife, 3 kids, 5 grandkids and 42 years with IBM next month before I have seen another :(

Vote your choice...............

Almost a lock.img0522nofooter.jpg

If you can find one of these.

sticking-out-tongue.jpg

so the question is....what are the real odds of winning a superbowl? i agree that the theoretical odds are not accurate but how would this truly be figured? you'd have to come up with a stat showing the number of teams you can expect to have no chance in any given year. then you'd have to come up with the probability of a team not being one of the teams with no chance. there are alot of variables in other places too. for instance, being a really good team in a very tough division or conference

for instance. i took a quick look at some standings for a few years. if you assume teams that won 5 or less games were the teams who had no chance during that season then it seems to fall at about 6 or 7 teams a year. so lets say that hold true. then you have about a 20% chance of having 0% chance of winning a superbowl in any given year.

My sanity gives the Jets five more years and one more head coach.  For the first time we have a decent owner, a decent GM and a decent coach all

at the same time.  If Geno turns into a franchise QB, Idzik builds a talented team and Rex can't win fine.  I'll figure on a new coach.  But if Geno tanks AND Idzik fails, along with Rex, then I will watch Jets games like MLS soccer games.  Sorry.

I fall into that unenviable category where I was alive for superbowl 3, but too young (4 yrs old) to care. Missed my once-in-a-lifetime chance it seems.

Another random thought while I wait for training camp:

The Jets of 1968 only had two playoff games: Beat the Raiders, beat the Colts. This was on top of a 14 game season.

The Jets of 2009 and 2010 won two playoff games, and were still only halfway to a championship.

I have given up hope that a Super Bowl is going to happen in the distant distant future. This Jets organization is hopeless.

The only good thing about this team is the defense being the dominant force that it is. Very little hope there is to have about this team & very little optimism to be had as well. There is only  a lot  of pessimism when thinking about the Jets. That's for sure

I have given up hope that a Super Bowl is going to happen in the distant distant future. This Jets organization is hopeless.

The only good thing about this team is the defense being the dominant force that it is. Very little hope there is to have about this team & very little optimism to be had as well. There is only  a lot  of pessimism when thinking about the Jets. That's for sure

nah, 2016 by latest. Trust me.

These nickname attempts are worse than Oswald's Eugene shtick. Woody's real name is Robert. You could go with that. His middle name is just Wood. But really, the guy's name is Woody Johnson. You actually think you can come up with something more ironic/iconic than that? It's right there on a silver platter for you!

And Herman for Idzik? Yeah, we get it, the guy ain't all that handsome... *rolls eyes*

Overall, these are just horrendous attempts at "jokes." You should probably just stick to battling it out with strawmen.

Idzik is a handsome guy, I'd hit it! I think he looks like Herman Munster from the Munsters, my favorite show growing up. I'd hit the real Herman and the Idzik Herman. 

When will it happen? 

Vote your choice...............

Do you believe in reincarnation?

thanks for proving my point that there are so many variables to the future that you must rely on a 1/32 figure because we just can't know enough to make a more educated guess than that over long timeframes. If teams are added then we simply change the figure to 1/34 or whatever. thanks for proving my entire premise so clearly by your paralyzing confusion about the future.

for you i will calculate the odds that the sun rose every day from january 1, 1752 until this morning. stay tuned.

Lol. My contention was one fold: that the Jets didn't have a 1/32 chance of a SB win every year since their last one. Or more in general, that any team doesn't have a 1/32 chance every season.

This team will never win the Super Bowl in your lifetime or mine. .....and I'll be 40 this year.

Good post. 

This team sucks at life.

From the drafting, FO, developing players to the awful coaches like Rex who makes us look like a joke. 

The only way guys like me, Southern Jet, Senior Florida Jet and Herminator will ever get to see the next Super Bowl will be as apparitions sitting on our wife's new husbands couch. Hey at least we did get a chance to see ONE-I just can no longer forsee that team with THAT owner ever getting it right.

The only way guys like me, Southern Jet, Senior Florida Jet and Herminator will ever get to see the next Super Bowl will be as apparitions sitting on our wife's new husbands couch. Hey at least we did get a chance to see ONE-I just can no longer forsee that team with THAT owner ever getting it right.

lol even a blind squrrell w/Woody,,The Hurricanes won a Cup with idiots like Karmanos/Rutherford

It will happen the year after you die of course. This is what I fully expect for myself. I told my son to take me to the Super Bowl in an urn or a sandwich bag.

lol, tell our kids to put our ashes into opponents drinking water and give them horrific case of explosive and volcanic diarrhea.

It will happen the year after you die of course. This is what I fully expect for myself. I told my son to take me to the Super Bowl in an urn or a sandwich bag.

too bad the old meadowlands is closed, i had my heart set on having my ashes dumped down the spirals at halftime.

I voted dirt nap. I'm 10 years younger than you and expect the same result for myself.

25 years from now i will be posting a similar thread on the holodeck jets messageboard from the moon.

25 years from now i will be posting a similar thread on the holodeck jets messageboard from the moon.

but if holodeck you can write a holodeck program where Jets win..list it under the Sports Comedy section..

I still prefer Data's Sherlock Holmes Holodeck program. we actually have one running in Lab here, just cant tell public yet ;)

too bad the old meadowlands is closed, i had my heart set on having my ashes dumped down the spirals at halftime.

In a perfect world they gently cascade down on some chicks ample breasts as she responds to the "show us your t!ts" chant

Archived