ESPN POLL OF NFL EXECS NAMES GENO SMITH "WORST" STARTING QB IN NFL.

T0mShane

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's an improvement.

the next step is to open up the reps and whoever the best QB plays. Why is that so hard? If it's Tajh Boyd then he plays.

Why does QB have to be given out like the King of England giving out titles? Because it reflects on the GM? A football team is should be competition, at every position, the best player should play. especially QB.

This sounds like a rant b/c i personally have played on a football team where the QB job was given away for political reasons and i never got over it. Probably never will. We sucked. It's a shameful thing to see a rigged competition at the most important position.

Fun fact our offense was based around the toss play. The Toss. Pull two guards and friggin toss. Fake Toss Pass was about as exciting as it got.

Worst. Coach. Ever.

To be honest, I don't think Geno is just going to be handed the job. He'll get plenty of opportunities to win it, and if he and Vick are neck-and-neck by the end of preseason, he will be given the job. But I do believe if Vick clearly outperforms him, Vick will be the starter.

I believe you've said before that you think Vick could have a '98 Testaverde-like career resurrection here. I could see that. With the running backs we have, and the speed we've added at receiver, I think Vick can do well on this team.

But right now, they need to see if Geno can be the guy.

I think it's unfair to put Geno down that strongly.  He was a rookie last year who I don't think the coaching staff had any intention of being the week 1 starter.  I think the plan was to let him watch from the sidelines for at least half the season and ease him into the role at some point after that.  Instead, he was thrown into the role immediately and he had amongst the very worst weapons in the NFL.  He definitely went through some very ugly stretches but I also think he had some very positive moments too.  I'm definitely not saying I'm convinced he'll be a good QB.  I'm just saying it's way too early to judge that he can't be.  This year at least he has some NFL experience and will have some legitimate weapons.

I believe you've said before that you think Vick could have a '98 Testaverde-like career resurrection here. I could see that. With the running backs we have, and the speed we've added at receiver, I think Vick can do well on this team.

Mike Vick is something like the 4th highest paid NY Jets player right now. I find it really hard to believe this uber-cheap Idzik team is going to pay vick 5 mil to hold a clipboard. 

doesn't matter 31 is better than 32

Not in this case. There is still some element of the unknown with Geno. We know Vick sucks and is not the long term solution at QB for us. There still is a tiny hope Smith can be. Based on that alone, Geno starts the season. 

Not in this case. There is still some element of the unknown with Geno. We know Vick sucks and is not the long term solution at QB for us. There still is a tiny hope Smith can be. Based on that alone, Geno starts the season.

im already convinced geno sucks and the light will never go on, so you can understand why i want vick to start. but i will concede we don't yet know just how badly geno will suck ;)

im already convinced geno sucks and the light will never go on, so you can understand why i want vick to start. but i will concede we don't yet know just how badly geno will suck ;)

Geno was better in his last four games last year than Vick has played in the last two years. Based on that alone I want no part of Michael Vick. 

Geno was better in his last four games last year than Vick has played in the last two years. Based on that alone I want no part of Michael Vick.

well i don't think you'll see vick, not at the beginning of the season anyway. although i believe vick will outplay geno in preseason, i do think the jets will roll with geno anyway. after game 5 or 6 after geno is stinking up the joint, the pressure will finally be so great that rex will have to put vick in. the jets will go on a run with vick only to miss the playoffs on a heartbreaking week 17 tie-breaker, leaving us all to wonder "what if" the jets had played the better guy from week one.

basically, just predict the most painful thing possible for us jets fans and there is a damn good chance that you'll be right :)

I think it's unfair to put Geno down that strongly.  He was a rookie last year who I don't think the coaching staff had any intention of being the week 1 starter.  I think the plan was to let him watch from the sidelines for at least half the season and ease him into the role at some point after that.  Instead, he was thrown into the role immediately and he had amongst the very worst weapons in the NFL.  He definitely went through some very ugly stretches but I also think he had some very positive moments too.  I'm definitely not saying I'm convinced he'll be a good QB.  I'm just saying it's way too early to judge that he can't be.  This year at least he has some NFL experience and will have some legitimate weapons.

This is where I'm at. I'm far from sold on the kid, I'm just not sold on him being the worst in the NFL, either.  

Mike Vick is something like the 4th highest paid NY Jets player right now. I find it really hard to believe this uber-cheap Idzik team is going to pay vick 5 mil to hold a clipboard.

And yet, all indications (outside of your cheap-o-meter) are that that's exactly what they're going to do.

vick would slot in around 15-20 and would be a massive improvement over geno

That would be a QBR range of 83.9-88.8, which is higher than Vick's career mark. No guarantee that he's capable of that, at all. They're gonna bet that Geno can take that step. The way Vick went from completing 44.2% of his passes for a 62.7 passer rating as a rookie, to completing 54.9% of his passes for an 81.6 passer rating in his sophomore year. Geno's rookie season was actually a little better than Vick's.

I'm obviously biased but I'm surprised how many of you are ready to write Geno off after one year.

The Jets and their fans are historically big over-correctors.

We gave Sanchez way too long, so we give Geno way to little time.

We got tired of Herm's over the top "players coach" mentality so we went with a strick X's and O's guy that everyone hated in Mangini and when that did work, we went back to the biggest "players coach" we could find.

We fired Tannenbaum who never saw a trade or a big contract he didn't like and we brought in someone who's been ultra conservative in Idzik, and now the fans complain that he didn't shell out any huge contracts to big names this offseason.

well i don't think you'll see vick, not at the beginning of the season anyway. although i believe vick will outplay geno in preseason, i do think the jets will roll with geno anyway. after game 5 or 6 after geno is stinking up the joint, the pressure will finally be so great that rex will have to put vick in. the jets will go on a run with vick only to miss the playoffs on a heartbreaking week 17 tie-breaker, leaving us all to wonder "what if" the jets had played the better guy from week one.

basically, just predict the most painful thing possible for us jets fans and there is a damn good chance that you'll be right :)

No.

We got tired of Herm's over the top "players coach" mentality so we went with a strick X's and O's guy that everyone hated in Mangini and when that did work, we went back to the biggest "players coach" we could find.

We fired Tannenbaum who never saw a trade or a big contract he didn't like and we brought in someone who's been ultra conservative in Idzik, and now the fans complain that he didn't shell out any huge contracts to big names this offseason.

This x1000000000

Even though he did. 

That's fine and dandy. I was speaking more in terms of camp.

See, we've had a million QB competitions and nothing good has come of it.  Vick doesn't need a million training camp reps, he'll be ready and we know what he's got.  I'd much rather get Geno as much practice as possible, because his improvement is obviously in the best interest of the franchise.  Put him on a short leash, throw Vick in if necessary, and then trade up for Mariotta if need be.  Schedule is a lot more difficult, so it won't be that far if Geno fails.

The pendulum of mediocrity!

Are you saying we're fickle?

Sanchez got too long because of where he was drafted, his contract, and the team's success in his first two years. As a second round pick, Geno probably has just this year to prove he can be a capable starter before they go back to the well.

For coaches, we went from a guy who was never a coordinator at any level, to a guy who was a one year honorary coordinator, to a guy who was -at the very least- an excellent coordinator over an extended period of time. I like that progression.

GMs? Bradway to Tannenbaum was probably a lateral move, although I think Bradway got skunked even worse than Tannenbaum in the trade market. Idzik might be an over-correction. I like that he doesn't want anyone to get the better of him in a deal, but two years without a single draft day trade might demonstrate an inability to play well with others.

Im not sure how he can be ranked lower than EJ Manual. Other than that, I think it's warranted based on last year. I think he will improve to the 20 ish range this year, that is what I think he is as a QB.

And yet, all indications (outside of your cheap-o-meter) are that that's exactly what they're going to do.

the indications are being controlled by the Jets and what they want to have happen. When we get to preseason, and they can't hide these guys, there will be a whole new set of indications. 

the indications are being controlled by the Jets and what they want to have happen. When we get to preseason, and they can't hide these guys, there will be a whole new set of indications.

How come what you think Idzik wants is different than what you think the Jets want?

Archived