Josh Gordon arrested in NC

AFJF

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This won't help his appeal process I'm sure. 

Probably not, but he got a dwi. Under normal circumstances, a DWI isn't the end of all. But in this case, he's knee deep in sh*t, he probably will be let go by the Browns.

Look guys, we need to wait for all the facts to come out as well as for the legal process to complete its course (in my Roger Goodell voice).  :winking0001:

tons of talent, mentally deficient. at this point I'd say this guy is not just a selfish idiot but that there is something wrong with his wiring

tons of talent, mentally deficient. at this point I'd say this guy is not just a selfish idiot but that there is something wrong with his wiring

I'm sure you're right.  All NFL teams (to the best of my knowledge) offer no-questions-asked limo service to make sure this never happens.  Therefore an NFL player who drives drunk is precisely a selfish idiot.  While there probably is something wrong with his wiring, it matters not what else that is.  He could just be a kid who doesn't give a crap about anyone else other than himself, including whose lives he's risking for absolutely no reason.

I was good with us trading for him during the year last year.  Clearly I didn't realize just how messed-up he is.  Thought he just smoked weed & got caught a couple of times (merely stupid, considering the potential cost to himself). He's got more wrong with him than I thought.  To do this when he was already most likely getting suspended for the year? Unbelievable. 

Offer a 2015 7th for him before Cleveland cuts him later this month. All world talent has about a 10% chance of making it back to the NFL after sitting out a year partying, trying to stay out of trouble. Sure he's a long shot but I would bet he has a 10% chance of turning his personal life around in the next year. Gotta get lucky with those 7th rounders anyway.

well that was really insightful :(

come on you are better than that

Gordon is a 23 year old dude that likes weed and partying. He's dumb, sure, and Goodell will hang him by his toes, but Jim Irsay is dumber and he'll just have to sign a check.

So let's take a quick recap of the Cleveland Browns' offseason:

- Get turned down by at least two coaches before finally getting "their man" in Mike Pettine. Pettine talks about getting his players to "play like a Brown" at his introductory press conference.

- Then fire GM and CEO for botching coaching search. 

- Find out on eve of draft that their number 1 receiver will be suspended for at least four games - do not draft a receiver in receiver rich draft. 

- Draft Johnny Manziel.

- Mike Pettine attempts to throw Rex Ryan under the bus for no apparent reason, gets rebuffed on claims by both Bill Belichick and Nick Saban and comes off looking like a disgruntled former employee looking to desperately embarrass his former boss. 

- Johnny Manziel can't stop getting photographed drunk. 

- Johnny Manziel whines about constantly getting photographed drunk. 

- Johnny Manziel gets photographed drunk with Justin Bieber and Floyd Mayweather - a new holy triumvirate of douche is born.

- Josh Gordon gets arrested for DWI while already facing four game suspension. 

CIRCUS

He'll probably name him a Captain because that'll set him on the straight and narrowlol.

My post got submitted accidentally before I was done typing (imagine my horror).

The point is more that there's no reaching some people more so with the benefit of hindsight.  But to suggest no previous bad seed has ever risen to the occasion when giving a person more responsibility is equally foolish, and that is the stance you're taking.  It's an easy target, and that's the type target you choose to fire at.

How many life screw-ups turn themselves around when faced with the responsibility of being a parent? Countless thousands.  Countless other thousands, however, still stayed as lifetime screw-ups.  This wasn't 1/1000th the responsibility of being a parent and Holmes still couldn't change his act.

Naming him as captain? Meh. Wasn't that harmful of a shot, since it's a position that doesn't truly have much power. Tried, and it failed.  But anything would have failed with that guy, until he grows up mentally (if that day ever comes).  No one was going to reach him in year 1 of a contract guaranteeing him $20M through year 3.  

Just like a no-nonsense heart to heart with Mike Pettine, with a year-long suspension looming, still can't keep this knucklehead from drinking and driving while the league is deliberating his punishment.

My post got submitted accidentally before I was done typing (imagine my horror).

The point is more that there's no reaching some people more so with the benefit of hindsight. But to suggest no previous bad seed has ever risen to the occasion when giving a person more responsibility is equally foolish, and that is the stance you're taking. It's an easy target, and that's the type target you choose to fire at.

How many life screw-ups turn themselves around when faced with the responsibility of being a parent? Countless thousands. Countless other thousands, however, still stayed as lifetime screw-ups. This wasn't 1/1000th the responsibility of being a parent and Holmes still couldn't change his act.

Naming him as captain? Meh. Wasn't that harmful of a shot, since it's a position that doesn't truly have much power. Tried, and it failed. But anything would have failed with that guy, until he grows up mentally (if that day ever comes). No one was going to reach him in year 1 of a contract guaranteeing him $20M through year 3.

Just like a no-nonsense heart to heart with Mike Pettine, with a year-long suspension looming, still can't keep this knucklehead from drinking and driving while the league is deliberating his punishment.

Naming Santonio Holmes a captain, along with publicly fellating him at every turn--even after the mutiny against the Fish--is endemic of poor leadership. It's one thing if Holmes was acting out because he felt like an outsider--that's where the statutory empowerment ploy can work--but Holmes was a cancer. Consider your own work environment. If the CEO promoted and celebrated the most anti-authoritarian, most disruptive employee in your company solely to avoid reprimanding said employee, it would have a trickle-down effect on the whole office because he'll have repeatedly rewarded deviant, counter-productive behavior. Rex is a soft touch. He's weak. He's a classic jock-sniffing hanger-on who begs for the approval of his subordinates, even at the expense of their respect for him. He no doubt learned this hanging around his dad's Eagles and Oilers teams--kiss his ass and even Jerome Brown will like you better. It wasn't as pronounced last year because of the injuries to Sanchez and Holmes, but it'll crop up again as this new batch of players finds out that he's full of baby-sh*t. Rex needs to go take the Arkansas job where he can cycle through a roster of players every three years, because he's too transparent to hold authority over any group for a second longer than that.

Its amazing the positive influence Pettine has had on his players. I mean, Johnny Manziel has been like a monk since being drafted by the Browns. 

All business!

Seriously, though.  Manziel is a spoiled kid who had great success at the collegiate level (but not so much more than others had before him).  I mean the kid's mommy & daddy literally purchased a trademark for his nickname.   The kid doesn't seem like he has an ounce of humility in him and could use more than a little bit. The players are already turning on him and training camp hasn't even begun yet.  Plus for every player who's publicly said he doesn't like something, you know there are plenty of others who didn't voice the sentiment publicly. 

Pettine has got to be hoping that Hoyer wins the job to start the season, and I would blame him for that desire.  First time head coach, just lost his record-setting offensive weapon, and the last thing he needs is a celebrity rookie who listens to nobody but himself (and his publicist, presumably).  If Hoyer gets hurt again, or just flops so badly he can't beat out a rookie Manziel, Pettine is going to have his hands full.  Let's see him trot out Tyler Thigpen to show Manziel who's boss, lol.

Naming Santonio Holmes a captain, along with publicly fellating him at every turn--even after the mutiny against the Fish--is endemic of poor leadership. It's one thing if Holmes was acting out because he felt like an outsider--that's where the statutory empowerment ploy can work--but Holmes was a cancer. Consider your own work environment. If the CEO promoted and celebrated the most anti-authoritarian, most disruptive employee in your company solely to avoid reprimanding said employee, it would have a trickle-down effect on the whole office because he'll have repeatedly rewarded deviant, counter-productive behavior. Rex is a soft touch. He's weak. He's a classic jock-sniffing hanger-on who begs for the approval of his subordinates, even at the expense of their respect for him. He no doubt learned this hanging around his dad's Eagles and Oilers teams--kiss his ass and even Jerome Brown will like you better. It wasn't as pronounced last year because of the injuries to Sanchez and Holmes, but it'll crop up again as this new batch of players finds out that he's full of baby-sh*t. Rex needs to go take the Arkansas job where he can cycle through a roster of players every three years, because he's too transparent to hold authority over any group for a second longer than that.

I'm deeply moved.

Tannenbaum just guaranteed Holmes $20M at the start of FA (which was 3 months after the draft that year). Holmes clearly comes across as an ego guy.  The Jets had no one else really at WR, so threatening to bench his boss's new prize is laughable, and would only be the suggestion of someone who's never had responsibility himself. 

He gave it a shot that propping up Holmes with some token leadership role (since it really isn't anything in practice) was a shot.  I wouldn't have done it but my personality is very different from Rex's, and I can see where he was coming from.  

Your take on it suggests that things would have been better, or even different, had guys like Holmes or Sanchez not been named team captains.  When you have 2 jerkoffs who have been given such leverage, you give something a shot.

I'm hardly sold on Rex as "the guy" but I don't nearly subscribe to your anyone-but-Ryan mantra, where you view a major step backwards as a step in the right direction because it might - might - then lead to someone better than Ryan.  Again, to me these are the musings of someone who has no or little responsibility himself while mocking those who do.

As for Gordon, you want to blame Pettine for that? Gordon has been a drug addict since high school. Pettine's probably been in the same room with Gordon for a total of two hours.

More straw man arguments from you? This is shocking to me. Shocking.

And I'm unaware of any drug addiction, and would be even more shocked to see you championing an assertion that guys who smoke weed are drug addicts.

He blew a .09, not a .19.  He's a dumbass and totally selfish.  That doesn't make him a drug addict.

Its amazing the positive influence Pettine has had on his players. I mean, Johnny Manziel has been like a monk since being drafted by the Browns. 

Remember when he was the disciplinary, adult in the room who smacked Rex around when he was acting up?

Its now safe to say, for the last 5 years, the only shred of competency has been the Head Coach for the Jets.

I'm deeply moved.

Tannenbaum just guaranteed Holmes $20M at the start of FA (which was 3 months after the draft that year). Holmes clearly comes across as an ego guy. The Jets had no one else really at WR, so threatening to bench his boss's new prize is laughable, and would only be the suggestion of someone who's never had responsibility himself.

He gave it a shot that propping up Holmes with some token leadership role (since it really isn't anything in practice) was a shot. I wouldn't have done it but my personality is very different from Rex's, and I can see where he was coming from.

Your take on it suggests that things would have been better, or even different, had guys like Holmes or Sanchez not been named team captains. When you have 2 jerkoffs who have been given such leverage, you give something a shot.

I'm hardly sold on Rex as "the guy" but I don't nearly subscribe to your anyone-but-Ryan mantra, where you view a major step backwards as a step in the right direction because it might - might - then lead to someone better than Ryan. Again, to me these are the musings of someone who has no or little responsibility himself while mocking those who do.

Why, in your compilation of Rex apologies, does everyone in the organization have "leverage" except for Rex?

More straw man arguments from you?

I'm responding to the continued effort by some to explain how other coaches doing things (real and imagined) somehow makes Rex's track record better.

Remember when he was the disciplinary, adult in the room who smacked Rex around when he was acting up?

Its now safe to say, for the last 5 years, the only shred of competency has been the Head Coach for the Jets.

The affection for Rex by some, is almost as creepy as the Rex tattoo of Sanchezs jersey on his wife

Archived