Josh Gordon arrested in NC

AFJF

Why, in your compilation of Rex apologies, does everyone in the organization have "leverage" except for Rex?

When a team has 3 WRs hitting free agency at the same time, including both starters and their #4 guy, and they bring one back with $20M in guarantees (and pair him with someone who hasn't started in a couple of years because he was in prison), then that WR has leverage against the coach heading into the season.

The Jets had come off a narrow loss in the AFCCG. They had one QB on the roster under age 40: the guy they traded up to #5 to get, had fronted more guaranteed money to in an effort to lessen a cap hit, and the owner parades him around to get as much positive press and publicity for as possible.  Such a QB has tremendous leverage heading into the season.

Lots of players would have leverage like this.  The decent ones wouldn't use it in the manner these two did, acting like a malcontent dirtbag and a frat-boy prankster respectively.

I'm responding to the continued effort by some to explain how other coaches doing things (real and imagined) somehow makes Rex's track record better.

No, you're responding by changing around someone's obvious joke statements into something they didn't mean or say, and then make an argument mocking fabricated positions that no one has taken.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets had come off a narrow loss in the AFCCG. They had one QB on the roster under age 40: the guy they traded up to #5 to get, had fronted more guaranteed money to in an effort to lessen a cap hit, and the owner parades him around to get as much positive press and publicity for as possible. Such a QB has tremendous leverage heading into the season.

Lots of players would have leverage like this. The decent ones wouldn't use it in the manner these two did, acting like a malcontent dirtbag and a frat-boy prankster .

And what would any good HC do?

Why get a tattoo of the frat boy QB, let him continue to act like a frat boy, make the malcontent WR a captain, naturally.

Genius.

naming someone captain and hoping he grows up is not new to the jets.  they did it to namath in hopes he would stop playing while still drunk from the night before the game

heck, ryans old man was a coach on that team, and probably gave him the idea

When a team has 3 WRs hitting free agency at the same time, including both starters and their #4 guy, and they bring one back with $20M in guarantees (and pair him with someone who hasn't started in a couple of years because he was in prison), then that WR has leverage against the coach heading into the season.

The Jets had come off a narrow loss in the AFCCG. They had one QB on the roster under age 40: the guy they traded up to #5 to get, had fronted more guaranteed money to in an effort to lessen a cap hit, and the owner parades him around to get as much positive press and publicity for as possible. Such a QB has tremendous leverage heading into the season.

Lots of players would have leverage like this. The decent ones wouldn't use it in the manner these two did, acting like a malcontent dirtbag and a frat-boy prankster respectively.

Amusing the two conversations going on this morning. Using the above logic, Matt Flynn had leverage over Pete Carroll, but something something.

If Rex lost "leverage" to Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes--two players he willingly and enthusiastically built his program around-- it's further testament to what a completely overmatched moron he is.

And what would any good HC do?

Why get a tattoo of the frat boy QB, let him continue to act like a frat boy, make the malcontent WR a captain, naturally.

Genius.

He got a tattoo of his wife, not a tattoo of his QB. I know, it's like totally the same thing.

I already addressed the thing with Holmes. Far too much is made of the captain thing, since a team captain has no actual power or authority beyond calling heads or tails on a coin toss. It was a gimmick attempt to get him to grow up some, and a shortsighted+failed attempt at that, but IMO there's no reaching a douchebag with $20M guaranteed coming to him if he chooses to continue to act like a douchebag.

I'm sure you would have benched him for Patrick Turner just to show him who's boss.

Amusing the two conversations going on this morning. Using the above logic, Matt Flynn had leverage over Pete Carroll, but something something.

If Rex lost "leverage" to Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes--two players he willingly and enthusiastically built his program around-- it's further testament to what a completely overmatched moron he is.

Incorrect in your analogy, which is par for the course. There was another QB on the roster, Wilson, who badly outplayed Flynn.

What amazing luck, these coaches who end up with QBs.

It really is. But I'm sure with Tannenbaum as his GM, that the 2012 Seahawks - at the behest of its defensive-minded head coach - still would have drafted Russell Wilson a month after picking up the most expensive QB in free agency.

What would have been amazing is if they could have gotten as far as Ryan with a QB like Sanchez. Because that's totally common and ordinary.

You do realize you're having the effect of making people who are otherwise wishy-washy on Ryan, like myself, be more supportive of him? You actually make him seem more likable as our HC because you egg on people to cite and recant Ryan's better points that may have otherwise gone overlooked.

You do realize you're having the effect of making people who are otherwise wishy-washy on Ryan, like myself, be more supportive of him? You actually make him seem more likable as our HC because you egg on people to cite and recant Ryan's better points that may have otherwise gone overlooked.

These "better points" go overlooked because they're not real. But I'm glad to facilitate thoughtful debate. I'm a valued member of this message board community.

These "better points" go overlooked because they're not real. But I'm glad to facilitate thoughtful debate. I'm a valued member of this message board community.

It's a QB-driven league.  I think winning more games than one loses, despite an obvious hole at this position, is enough to give one hope.

I think with Ryan overseeing the D and a competent OC overseeing the offense, that with even an average QB, the Jets can and will do serious damage. 

People mock the 8-8 season. Meanwhile, we had no NFL-level QB for most games, no NFL-level WRs for most games, no starter-worthy TE for any games, one x-factor player on offense that got suspended for a month and then was out for the season less than 10 touches into returning, below-average OL for most games, one injured OLB and another past his prime (and a 3rd that split time on the line and standing up, at 285 lbs), an unready rookie CB who missed way too much time to injury, another CB who's nothing when playing at 80%, who was playing at 80%, and 2 safeties that were backup-level last year, and a stud DL.  This team goes 8-8 and it's a failure? lol

50 in a 35.  I have no idea why there are so many 35 MPH zones in Raleigh.....

Raleigh is like LA, not a city but all suburbs basically. I think less than 2K actually live downtown Raleigh,,everything else is wide open, big yards developments with own attached swimclub, parks etc.

So most roads are classified 'suburb/residential'

He's really going to regret it when we all get together to vote on Rex's future in January.

We should really consider making you a captain. Maybe it will help.

Forget his past.... i say let's make a move to get him (Josh Gordon and Eric Decker) as our #1 and #2 wow then our defense and offense will just now start beginning to perfect the system by the 2015 year he come back, then we can draft some insurance for him if he chooses to still take the same route. But besides that if we get him next year we can make a run for the Super Bowl our offense and defense will be built

He's really going to regret it when we all get together to vote on Rex's future in January.

Hardly relevant. His frustration, like others, is largely in seeing that so many of those he talks football with don't agree with his Rexpinion.  People who want to see him coach the team for even 1 season with a decent QB are considered ludicrous. Just like he feels it's ludicrous to doubt that with Sanchez and Smith as the only QB options, that Ryan's peaked as a coach.  

FYI Carroll/Bevell had lower ranked offenses pre-Wilson, with veteran QBs and beast mode, than Rex/Schottenheimer had with Mark Sanchez and the dancing bear and a washed-up LT. But we're supposed to all believe that Carroll's growth into a well-rounded HC happened immediately in the spring of 2012.  That his knowledge of NFL offenses grew exponentially from the time he pushed for Matt Flynn in Feb-March, 2012 to the time an excellent QB falling into his & Bevell's laps a month later, and playing like a veteran almost immediately.  Surely that was all Carroll's teaching and well-roundedness that did this, lol.  Talk about being an apologist for someone.

Also, Wilson was merely drafted in the round expected. If either of them knew anything about Wilson, it's inexcusable to have waited until round 3 to grab him.  But hey, this well-rounded coach and OC who know the value of a QB in today's offense, felt Bobby Wagner was worth gambling the availability of the franchise QB they knew would be their guy.  Just like he and Bevell knew they needed Matt Flynn.  And Tavaris Jackson.  And Sidney Rice.  And Leon Washington.  And LenDale White.  And Mike Williams.  And Zach Miller.  Because these guys know offense.

The obvious reality is that they knew jack squat until Wilson and Flynn demonstrated what each other was.  They were stupidly big on Flynn until they saw him up close, just like Tannenbaum or Rex or both stupidly liked some things about Tebow until Rex/Sparano got to see him up close.  The difference is the other QB available to one on gameday was Wilson, and the other Sanchez.  And this supposedly proves something about anything.

Forget his past.... i say let's make a move to get him (Josh Gordon and Eric Decker) as our #1 and #2 wow then our defense and offense will just now start beginning to perfect the system by the 2015 year he come back, then we can draft some insurance for him if he chooses to still take the same route. But besides that if we get him next year we can make a run for the Super Bowl our offense and defense will be built

:face:

Hardly relevant. His frustration, like others, is largely in seeing that so many of those he talks football with don't agree with his Rexpinion. People who want to see him coach the team for even 1 season with a decent QB are considered ludicrous. Just like he feels it's ludicrous to doubt that with Sanchez and Smith as the only QB options, that Ryan's peaked as a coach.

FYI Carroll/Bevell had lower ranked offenses pre-Wilson, with veteran QBs and beast mode, than Rex/Schottenheimer had with Mark Sanchez and the dancing bear and a washed-up LT. But we're supposed to all believe that Carroll's growth into a well-rounded HC happened immediately in the spring of 2012. That his knowledge of NFL offenses grew exponentially from the time he pushed for Matt Flynn in Feb-March, 2012 to the time an excellent QB falling into his & Bevell's laps a month later, and playing like a veteran almost immediately. Surely that was all Carroll's teaching and well-roundedness that did this, lol. Talk about being an apologist for someone.

Also, Wilson was merely drafted in the round expected. If either of them knew anything about Wilson, it's inexcusable to have waited until round 3 to grab him. But hey, this well-rounded coach and OC who know the value of a QB in today's offense, felt Bobby Wagner was worth gambling the availability of the franchise QB they knew would be their guy. Just like he and Bevell knew they needed Matt Flynn. And Tavaris Jackson. And Sidney Rice. And Leon Washington. And LenDale White. And Mike Williams. And Zach Miller. Because these guys know offense.

The obvious reality is that they knew jack squat until Wilson and Flynn demonstrated what each other was. They were stupidly big on Flynn until they saw him up close, just like Tannenbaum or Rex or both stupidly liked some things about Tebow until Rex/Sparano got to see him up close. The difference is the other QB available to one on gameday was Wilson, and the other Sanchez. And this supposedly proves something about anything.

Carrol had Hasselbeck and went 7-9. He failed to develop the ubber talented Tavaris Jackson but somhow figured it out with Wilson. Maybe he read a book or something.

First time I can say THANKS IDZIK! without being sarcastic. So glad we didn't trade for that guy.

I was one of those hoping we could throw a second at the Browns for him.... Boy, am I glad that they wanted a 1st rd. pick. I wasn't signing on for that knowing he'd be sitting out a year after another violation. Glad that train passed us by.

tons of talent, mentally deficient. at this point I'd say this guy is not just a selfish idiot but that there is something wrong with his wiring

I agree. If you can't give up weed for 8 years to play football then you're an idiot. Then to get a DWI on the 4th??? His potential is crazy, his stupidity is even crazier. 

Football is not played by men who think prudently.

In a sense, the guy was caught between eras.  If he was born earlier or later, at least one of those charges wouldn't have happened.  In a few years, marijuana will possibly be legal, and when I was his age, 0.09 was legal to drive.

Carrol had Hasselbeck and went 7-9. He failed to develop the ubber talented Tavaris Jackson but somhow figured it out with Wilson. Maybe he read a book or something.

Even worse, Bevell was Jackson's OC in Minnesota.  Saw him up close in practice and in meetings since the kid was drafted.  And his advice? Dump Hasselbeck and get this kid on the team.

Not exactly on par with Belichick pushing Parcells hard to get Testaverde (even if Parcells felt Glenn Foley was the better QB between the two.  True competition, not rigged something something).

Even worse, Bevell was Jackson's OC in Minnesota. Saw him up close in practice and in meetings since the kid was drafted. And his advice? Dump Hasselbeck and get this kid on the team.

Not exactly on par with Belichick pushing Parcells hard to get Testaverde (even if Parcells felt Glenn Foley was the better QB between the two. True competition, not rigged something something).

Maybe after Bevell and Carrol failed with a QB who had been to the SB and then failed with the up and coming stud they dumped him for, they attended a how to develop an NFL QB seminar and wham - Russell Wilson.

Maybe after Bevell and Carrol failed with a QB who had been to the SB and then failed with the up and coming stud they dumped him for, they attended a how to develop an NFL QB seminar and wham - Russell Wilson.

Well he became a well-rounded coach at USC, but he just forgot to use it for a couple of years. Then he remembered he had to not just bring in a new QB, but also give said QB 50cc of Beamen's invisible juice.

The same Russell Wilson they felt wasn't special enough to draft in the first 2 rounds. 

Archived