Tom Shane Predicts The Jets Season

T0mShane

Plays exactly into what Bugg said above. Guy who can hand ball off + improved passing defense > scoring points.

wrong equation

Yes, I am certain if Rex had Manning/Brady he'd only let them throw 15 times a game

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. By hook or by crook or draft or trade or free agency you go and get a real goddamn QB. At least, despite his myriad suckitude Tannenbaum occasionally understood this. Parcells too, which is how Testaverde ended up here. If in 2008 Favre stays healthy, who knows?

SImply can no longer accept a glum resignation sad face that there was nobody in the draft, so, forget it until when ever. That is crap. Make it happen. Got $20 million in cap room, some decent QB probably wants some of it and wants out of his current location. Instead we wait for what exactly? Or is the owner cheap, the GM an overpromoted dope, and the HC an overgrown ape who thinks it's 1972, three yards and a cloud of dust and none of that fancy passing stuff.

Parcells refused to guarantee he'd draft Manning, started Foley over Testeverde and then had Rick Mirer as a fallback option the next year costing us our best bet at a SB.

I do not think you want to invoke his name to support your point.

Beyond that, you are preaching to the choir. I hated Pennington and Sanchez and now I am very down on Geno, I'd like nothing more then to get an actual QB in here. But I cannot take out the 30 years of frustration at the Jets QB position on our buffoon HC.

Yes, I am certain if Rex had Manning/Brady he'd only let them throw 15 times a game

Right....a once in a generation talent is a good comparison for passing over significant upgrade at the most important position on the field. When Minnesota is quietly turning into Jets circa 2010 rushing with better passing numbers, we can revist

Not to mention, Rex's head is so far up the D's ass that if he had a Manning/Brady on his squad you really can't tell me that he'd be competent enough to find an OC who would give him the opportunity to air it out...logically it's nearly impossible to think he would...his whole style is conservative offense backed by a strong D and field position ...hiring a pioneer of the West Coast offense is hardly changing the overall philosophy.

Right....a once in a generation talent is a good comparison for passing over significant upgrade at the most important position on the field. When Minnesota is quietly turning into Jets circa 2010 rushing with better passing numbers, we can revist

Not to mention, Rex's head is so far up the D's ass that if he had a Manning/Brady on his squad you really can't tell me that he'd be competent enough to find an OC who would give him the opportunity to air it out...logically it's nearly impossible to think he would...his whole style is conservative offense backed by a strong D and field position 

2010 Jets pass attempts were just about league average, with poop at QB.. Sell crazy elsewhere

I don't even.....you're right....pass attempts nailed it.. :face:

You said

"if he had a Manning/Brady on his squad you really can't tell me that he'd be competent enough to find an OC who would give him the opportunity to air it out."

I said, even with poop at QB, who couldn't sustain drives, we were about league average in pass attempts.

It's reasonable to assume that with improved QB play, we'd throw it more. In fact, we saw that trend from 2009 to 2010, when Sanchez showed some improvement courtesy of butterfinger DB's and out pass attempts went from league bottom to average. I don't believe this is a giant leap of logic

You said

"if he had a Manning/Brady on his squad you really can't tell me that he'd be competent enough to find an OC who would give him the opportunity to air it out."

I said, even with poop at QB, who couldn't sustain drives, we were about league average in pass attempts.

It's reasonable to assume that with improved QB play, we'd throw it more. In fact, we saw that trend from 2009 to 2010, when Sanchez showed some improvement courtesy of butterfinger DB's and out pass attempts went from league bottom to average. I don't believe this is a giant leap of logic

It's a total disregard of historic context. Rexenbaum fired Schottenheimer and then brought in Tony Sporano, the father of the Wildcat.. can you let me know how our pass attempts looked after tht, I am lazy.

Plays exactly into what Bugg said above. Guy who can hand ball off + improved passing defense > scoring points.

wrong equation

No it really doesn't, as this "equation" requires the assumptions that not only is Geno guaranteed to show absolutely no improvement whatsoever, but also that Bridgewater is definitively destined for success in the NFL; a pair of conclusions that the Jets quite clearly did not agree with.  Even if you personally disagree with the decisions made, which I could certainly understand, that still pretty much negates the argument that the Jets consciously opted to ignore the offense.  Especially when this entire concept also depends upon everyone ignoring absolutely all FA acquisitions and every other draft pick in order to justify the conclusion.  One draft pick does not an entire offseason make.

It's very possible that the Jets have simply sucked ass at putting together this offense without having to resort to conspiracy theories because of it.

It's a total disregard of historic context. Rexenbaum fired Schottenheimer and then brought in Tony Sporano, the father of the Wildcat.. can you let me know how our pass attempts looked after tht, I am lazy.

Well QB play was terrible,. so pass attempts should be low, but we were a bad team and played from behind a lot.. so they are inflated to above average.

My point isn't that this stats are conclusive, its that this notion that Rex would prefer to run 90% of the time is overblown. I agree his offensive ideas are antiquated, but to suggest he'd sit on the ball with a top QB is ludicrous. The guys had garbage every at the position every year here and that isn't entirely his fault. 

Well QB play was terrible,. so pass attempts should be low, but we were a bad team and played from behind a lot.. so they are inflated to above average.

My point isn't that this stats are conclusive, its that this notion that Rex would prefer to run 90% of the time is overblown. I agree his offensive ideas are antiquated, but to suggest he'd sit on the ball with a top QB is ludicrous. The guys had garbage every at the position every year here and that isn't entirely his fault. 

I find it interesting that this particular portion of the argument started off with the statement that it essentially wouldn't count what Rex did if he had one of the two "once in a generation" talents you mentioned (a factual contradiction, but I digress).  However, it then turns to the conclusion that the Jets hardly would have thrown even despite that, because, ya know... Sanchez.  Intriguing.

No it really doesn't, as this "equation" requires the assumptions that not only is Geno guaranteed to show absolutely no improvement whatsoever, but also that Bridgewater is definitively destined for success in the NFL; a pair of conclusions that the Jets quite clearly did not agree with.  Even if you personally disagree with the decisions made, which I could certainly understand, that still pretty much negates the argument that the Jets consciously opted to ignore the offense.  Especially when this entire concept also depends upon everyone ignoring absolutely all FA acquisitions and every other draft pick in order to justify the conclusion.  One draft pick does not an entire offseason make.

It's very possible that the Jets have simply sucked ass at putting together this offense without having to resort to conspiracy theories because of it.

It's not one single draft pick though. Rex led teams pick D on every first round pick they have, so much to the fact that it's a running joke now on Draft Day. As I said earlier, we needed secondary help in a big way - so this isn't the ideal draft to be nitpicking the fact that we picked D in round 1, again. I have a few basic problems with your criticism though of my original point that Bridgewater (in a vacuum of a stable secondary) would've not been a good pick...for one, he's more polished coming from college than Geno was at that time. Secondly he's run pro offenses. Third, it's not like were looking at a single instance where Rex ignored offense This-one-time -- I refer again  to when he picked up Tony Sporano as the most glaring example

I find it interesting that this particular portion of the argument started off with the statement that it essentially wouldn't count what Rex did if he had one of the two "once in a generation" talents you mentioned (a factual contradiction, but I digress).  However, it then turns to the conclusion that the Jets hardly would have thrown even despite that, because, ya know... Sanchez.  Intriguing.

When did I ever say that Rex neglected the offense, because he had Sanchez? Don't put words in my mouth, i said that Rex has never truthfully hired an aggressive offensive coach, and if anything, you could even lightly suggest that Rex still has decent influence in the GM's office because of it

It's not one single draft pick though. Rex led teams pick D on every first round pick they have, so much to the fact that it's a running joke now on Draft Day. As I said earlier, we needed secondary help in a big way - so this isn't the ideal draft to be nitpicking the fact that we picked D in round 1, again. I have a few basic problems with your criticism though of my original point that Bridgewater (in a vacuum of a stable secondary) would've not been a good pick...for one, he's more polished coming from college than Geno was at that time. Secondly he's run pro offenses. Third, it's not like were looking at a single instance where Rex ignored offense This-one-time -- I refer again  to when he picked up Tony Sporano as the most glaring example

I'm not saying Bridgewater wouldn't have been a good pick.  I said before the draft that if Bridgewater were to fall to them, I would have been in favor of the pick.  However, there's a significant difference between feeling that way and basing a conclusion entirely on the assumptions of both Geno's failure and Bridgewater's success, both of which are guesses at this point, and neither of which there is any evidence to suggest the Jets' agree with.

But ultimately, your last sentence shows that your argument relies on the concepts of ignoring all roster moves made outside of first round picks (including high second rounders), crediting/blaming the decisions of 2 different GMs entirely on Rex (while ignoring that, if this were so, the first pick of the Rex era would then contradict this argument), and most importantly of all, attempting to cite an (admittedly awful) decision that was intended to help the offense as ignoring it, which by definition it absolutely was not.

The Jets have done a pretty bad job with this offense in recent years, there's no denying that, but the rest of this is just pure conspiracy theory nonsense.

wrong equation

It's not the wrong equation if you don't believe bridgewater is much of an improvement over Geno.  Bridgewater doesn't last to the Jets, let alone to the end of the round if we were passing on an Andrew Luck type prospect.

Perhaps you missed Sperm's treatises on leverage, and how giving a QB a big contract guarantees his playing time.

What it guarantees is the same GM that hands out a contract, with the upcoming 2 years guaranteed at starter salary, is not going to then bring in another QB unless it's a stunt (Tebow) or whose presence is insignificant (Stanton, Simms).

Tell me which of those 3 would have flourished into a stud asset if not for that awful Rex Ryan.

Your premise presumes Ryan was the boss of both of his bosses. 

They drafted Sanchez early.  They picked up no one else.  On paper at least, many feel he did well in the playoffs twice (and for Sanchez, he did).  And Sanchez was the publicity-seeking owner's poster boy to compete with the Giants' Eli Manning for billboards.

Should he have pushed even harder for another QB? Damn straight he should have.  But the GM never should have drafted him in the first place, let alone put no one else on the team and then give this mope a 5-year extension with 2 more of it guaranteed.  

No GM is re-upping his own top-5 pick QB with another $20M guaranteed and is then picking up another QB in rounds 1-2 a month later.  Except in your fantasy land.

Bringing in a FA with 1 year guaranteed, based on 1 football game, is nowhere near the same thing as re-upping your QB for the past 3 seasons with more than double the guaranteed amount. 

How is it not Rex's fault? He clearly has no clue when it comes to offensive football...

not saying much but .525 winning percentage is actually decent in this league. He's like 2nd or 3rd all time franchise history (tuna is 1, groh had 1 winning year and went back to college). 

Rex isn't holding this franchise back from greatness. He's one of their few assets. 

Well a lot of people disagree.

1) The guy has made us a joke. Talks sh*t but has never backed it up.

2) He's lost the locker room twice. Not a great leader. Players  love him because he lets them **** his wife.

3) He's bad at player development and is loyal to a fault.

4) Ignores 2/3's of the team. Real HC's put their stamp on the entire team. They have an understanding of all aspects. And the one aspect he's in charge of isn't that good. We have a very good dline. Our lb's are average at best and our secondary is bad.

6-10/8-8 this year. Hopefully Woody gets serious about winning and cans Rex

No. By hook or by crook or draft or trade or free agency you go and get a real goddamn QB. At least, despite his myriad suckitude Tannenbaum occasionally understood this. Parcells too, which is how Testaverde ended up here. If in 2008 Favre stays healthy, who knows?

SImply can no longer accept a glum resignation sad face that there was nobody in the draft, so, forget it until when ever. That is crap. Make it happen. Got $20 million in cap room, some decent QB probably wants some of it and wants out of his current location. Instead we wait for what exactly? Or is the owner cheap, the GM an overpromoted dope, and the HC an overgrown ape who thinks it's 1972, three yards and a cloud of dust and none of that fancy passing stuff.

Your history is messed-up.  Testaverde got here because Baltimore cut him after June 1st, at which point Belichick lobbied for him like there was no tomorrow.  He was a cheap veteran who his most-trusted assistant knew well, and he wanted to dump O'Donnell's salary anyway (understandable, as his scheduled cap # was equivalent to $15M today), so why not.  Testaverde was signed to a 1-year deal for about 1/4 of O'Donnell's cap number.

Had Baltimore not cut Testaverde, Parcells absolutely would have gone into the 1998 season with just Foley (and his Boyd-level draft pick, Chuck Clements), since O'Donnell was refusing to cut his bloated salary at all (and that salary wasn't guaranteed anyway, so he was definitely getting cut). Plus there was that other thing, that Parcells just hated O'Donnell (who was no more popular with Jets fans than with Parcells).

But even a full training camp and pre-season didn't waiver Parcells' belief that Glenn Foley was a superior QB to Testaverde in '98.  If not for the dramatic result vs expectation in Testaverde's play once he got his opportunity, combined with a timely Foley injury, the season may very well have been lost until it was too late.  In Foley's injured game, Testaverde threw 4 TDs, and we finally won one.  Then we won another one vs the league's #1 defense (Miami).  Then as reward, Parcells sent Vinny back to the bench for Foley to put up another stinker vs a horsesh*t Rams team until it was too late.  

Ultimately, it was Art Modell who saved the Jets in 1998. Plus the dumb luck that Testaverde was a Jets fan so he took a lot less $ to live out his childhood fantasy as a Jets QB.

Well a lot of people disagree.

1) The guy has made us a joke. Talks sh*t but has never backed it up.

2) He's lost the locker room twice. Not a great leader. Players  love him because he lets them **** his wife.

3) He's bad at player development and is loyal to a fault.

4) Ignores 2/3's of the team. Real HC's put their stamp on the entire team. They have an understanding of all aspects. And the one aspect he's in charge of isn't that good. We have a very good dline. Our lb's are average at best and our secondary is bad.

6-10/8-8 this year. Hopefully Woody gets serious about winning and cans Rex

lol

1) What does "but never backs it up" even mean? And sure, he's made us a joke.  That's why Belichick brags to his team that they've really accomplished something when beating us.

2) Players love him because they love him. And ex-players call him a genius, which is far more generous than I am towards him.

3) He turned two total zeros - failures before he got here - into two of the most dominant run-stuffers in the NFL (Pouha and DeVito).  Revis went from very good into the best CB in history.  Cromartie totally resurrected his career here.  So did LT for a season.  Slauson went from a 6th round nobody to a legitimate NFL starter at guard.  People whine about the loss of Austin Howard who was also a total nothing until landing on the Jets.  Demario Davis is turning into a damn good player already and should be even better this year.  Hell, even Shonn Greene had a 1000 yard season here.  Ivory was given the chance Payton never gave him, and ran for 4.6 ypc behind a lower-ranked run-blocking line. His counterpart last year was also better than expected.  The ones who didn't develop were generally not developable (Sanchez, Ducasse, others) or not developable in the time frame given so far (Hill, Geno, others).  If you could point to guys who were failures here that turned into studs elsewhere you could make this assertion, but it's simply not the case.  What a silly, silly assertion.

4) Ignores 2/3 of the team.  OK sure.  Rex coaches the defense and then locks himself into a room otherwise.  Someone says "offense" or "special teams" and he sticks his fingers in his ears and yells "LA LA LA LA LA" as he runs out of the room.  Sure.  That's totally what has been reported and totally what we saw the one summer that HBO's cameras were on him.

Silly, lazy post.  Plenty to criticize about Rex, and you managed to fill your post with imaginary things that exist in your head.  Congrats.

I totally understand where you're coming from.

But, at the same time, when you eliminate all hypothetical QBs, what you're left with is Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. We've agreed that while Sanchez could have been handled better, his upside was still essentially limited to none. The legendary Pete Carroll said this in the most politically correct way possible, and Jets fans basically told him to **** off. Then it was Geno Smith. A guy who dropped like a lead balloon and for good reason. He wasn't ready to start, he'd never taken a snap under center, and he'd never run anything resembling a pro-style offense. Ideally, Garrard would have been healthy and able to play. But again, I'm not confident that on San Fran or New England or Green Bay, Geno Smith is a better player. Though, he probably would have been because he'd have been dealing with something a little better than 12 games of Jeremy Kerley and David Nelson.

Long story short, I don't think Rex is the reason we haven't had a good QB. I think drafting Sanchez, extending him, and then drafting Smith in the second and having him start in year one, is the reason. These reasons don't fall squarely on Rex.

I agree with much of this, but we're going to disagree on Rex's role in the paucity of talent on this team. I just don't think it's a coincidence that the team keeps coming up with good DL but every other position is a dumpster fire. Obviously, the GM was a problem, but a coach--especially one who came in with a rep as a teacher--should be able to pull a few rabbits out of the hat in a five year span. Rex has produced zilch. As I've stated numerous times, I don't think his frat-house leadership is conducive to any sort of sustainable success. It's effective over a short term, but it wears thin. As it relates to the QB, why would a QB develop here when no one else does? I think a trend has been established over these five years, and I don't have much faith in a sea change as long as Flounder is running Delta house.

What it guarantees is the same GM that hands out a contract, with the upcoming 2 years guaranteed at starter salary, is not going to then bring in another QB unless it's a stunt (Tebow) or whose presence is insignificant (Stanton, Simms).

Tell me which of those 3 would have flourished into a stud asset if not for that awful Rex Ryan.

Your premise presumes Ryan was the boss of both of his bosses.

They drafted Sanchez early. They picked up no one else. On paper at least, many feel he did well in the playoffs twice (and for Sanchez, he did). And Sanchez was the publicity-seeking owner's poster boy to compete with the Giants' Eli Manning for billboards.

Should he have pushed even harder for another QB? Damn straight he should have. But the GM never should have drafted him in the first place, let alone put no one else on the team and then give this mope a 5-year extension with 2 more of it guaranteed.

No GM is re-upping his own top-5 pick QB with another $20M guaranteed and is then picking up another QB in rounds 1-2 a month later. Except in your fantasy land.

Bringing in a FA with 1 year guaranteed, based on 1 football game, is nowhere near the same thing as re-upping your QB for the past 3 seasons with more than double the guaranteed amount.

Ok, but you're leaving out that 1. Rex signed off on drafting Sanchez, 2. Rex said "Sanchez will start here as long as I'm the coach, 3. Rex has Sanchez's jersey tattooed on his leg, 4. He never opened up Sanchez's job to any type of competition until Idzik forced it upon him.

You cannot, in any way, exonerate Rex Ryan of blame as it relates to Sanchez. He was a willing participant from beginning to end.

I too think our offense would be better with Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

according to NFL GM's our offense would be better off with any of the 31 starters not named Geno.

i wish we had been able to get Kyle Orton. when you can express that viewpoint and not be sarcastic about it, you know your team sucks.

Ok, but you're leaving out that 1. Rex signed off on drafting Sanchez, 2. Rex said "Sanchez will start here as long as I'm the coach, 3. Rex has Sanchez's jersey tattooed on his leg, 4. He never opened up Sanchez's job to any type of competition until Idzik forced it upon him.

You cannot, in any way, exonerate Rex Ryan of blame as it relates to Sanchez. He was a willing participant from beginning to end.

Meh. That's his personality.  He also benched him after saying that, even in the absence of another viable QB on the roster.

Year 1: competition with Clemens (such as it was).  Sanchez won.  My preference, at the time, was to bring in Jeff Garcia, sit Sanchez until he beat him out (which he would have been incapable of), and Clemens could be the #3 or cut outright.  Or just wait for Favre to un-retire.  They didn't do either.  Sanchez sucked as a rookie, but then had his best game in the playoffs vs Cincy, followed by a lousy game vs SD that he gets credit for being good in, then half a game vs Indy.  For a rookie as bad as Sanchez, though, his playoff performance was considered a resounding success.

Year 2:  Sanchez is the QB.  The whole organization feels his improvement in the playoffs is a sign of things to come.  Clemens is demoted to #3 after 40 year old Brunell is brought in to be the #2.  Brees swore by Brunell as his #2, and former Brees QBC bought into it, along with Rex and Tannenbaum, who were heavily invested in Sanchez.  Clemens demoted to #3 and is given shameful treatment by Tannenbaum on camera on HBO (tag the guy, he signs the tag, meaning he can't talk to other teams, then they threaten to cut him on final cutdown day unless he takes a 50% pay cut or something.  I felt dirty just watching it.  Sanchez has a much better season, particularly on paper.  And does even better in the playoffs than he did a year earlier, before melting down against Pittsburgh.  Still, no one - not even your beloved Darrell Bevell - would bench Sanchez or make him fight for his job at this point.  Not at QB.

Year 3: Still just Sanchez and Brunell.  He starts out ok and then melts down, causing the Jets to miss the playoffs.

Year 4:  offseason: Jets pursue Peyton Manning to replace Sanchez.  Manning turns us down.  Tannenbaum stupidly extends him and brings in that stiff from Detroit to push Sanchez (which is a farce after Tannenbaum gave him over $20M guaranteed on a brand new extension).  Then they get an even better idea:  Tebow.  Team names him the #2 before he even gets to NY.  Stanton freaks out and the Jets agree to trade him.  Sanchez sucks worse than ever, and a piss-poor receiving corps, highlighted by an unready Hill and injured Holmes, doesn't help any.

Year 5:  Jets bring in Garrard then draft Smith.  Garrard would have been the QB opening day if he didn't quit.  Sanchez would have been traded if anyone would have taken him off our hands for a conditional 7th rounder in the year 2038.  Except Garrard did quit, and Smith was even worse than Sanchez - who was still terrible in his own right - in the 2013 preseason.

I think their collective judgment on Sanchez sucked. All of them.  But it wasn't just Ryan.  It was the OC he inherited, who was also the QBC for 2 non-busts as they came out of college.  Rex overruled his judgment just like Carroll overruled Bevell's judgment on Tavaris Jackson.  They had pure-backup Whitehurst as the only other QB on the roster, meaning there was no competition there either.

Just saying, putting Sanchez squarely on Ryan is ludicrous.  He's the coach, not the GM.  NO one is suggesting Ryan played absolutely no role in the events.  But what I do see already with Smith he's not coddling his young QB.

lol

1) What does "but never backs it up" even mean? And sure, he's made us a joke.  That's why Belichick brags to his team that they've really accomplished something when beating us.

2) Players love him because they love him. And ex-players call him a genius, which is far more generous than I am towards him.

3) He turned two total zeros - failures before he got here - into two of the most dominant run-stuffers in the NFL (Pouha and DeVito).  Revis went from very good into the best CB in history.  Cromartie totally resurrected his career here.  So did LT for a season.  Slauson went from a 6th round nobody to a legitimate NFL starter at guard.  People whine about the loss of Austin Howard who was also a total nothing until landing on the Jets.  Demario Davis is turning into a damn good player already and should be even better this year.  Hell, even Shonn Greene had a 1000 yard season here.  Ivory was given the chance Payton never gave him, and ran for 4.6 ypc behind a lower-ranked run-blocking line. His counterpart last year was also better than expected.  The ones who didn't develop were generally not developable (Sanchez, Ducasse, others) or not developable in the time frame given so far (Hill, Geno, others).  If you could point to guys who were failures here that turned into studs elsewhere you could make this assertion, but it's simply not the case.  What a silly, silly assertion.

4) Ignores 2/3 of the team.  OK sure.  Rex coaches the defense and then locks himself into a room otherwise.  Someone says "offense" or "special teams" and he sticks his fingers in his ears and yells "LA LA LA LA LA" as he runs out of the room.  Sure.  That's totally what has been reported and totally what we saw the one summer that HBO's cameras were on him.

Silly, lazy post.  Plenty to criticize about Rex, and you managed to fill your post with imaginary things that exist in your head.  Congrats.

As much as you know I'm all about the long-winded posts too, and agree with just about everything you said here, I think the bold is what really brings it all together.

There are actually very few people on this board these days who have any particular love for Rex (excepting JiF), and there's plenty of real reasons not to like the guy as Jets' HC, but instead we've had to deal with some of the most ridiculously asinine arguments imaginable.  Most of the so-called defense of Rex that is going on is really just a matter of those of us who can't bring themselves to blindly concede to such nonsense.

As much as you know I'm all about the long-winded posts too, and agree with just about everything you said here, I think the bold is what really brings it all together.

There are actually very few people on this board these days who have any particular love for Rex (excepting JiF), and there's plenty of real reasons not to like the guy as Jets' HC, but instead we've had to deal with some of the most ridiculously asinine arguments imaginable. Most of the so-called defense of Rex that is going on is really just a matter of those of us who can't bring themselves to blindly concede to such nonsense.

I fairly criticize Rex. A little to loyal to certain players, needs work on challenges, can improve on clock management. Lots of coaches have these problems, the "great" ones includes. But overall, he's really ******* good and only Jets fans question that. Players, coaches, GMs, "experts" all know he's great.

I fairly criticize Rex. A little to loyal to certain players, needs work on challenges, can improve on clock management. Lots of coaches have these problems, the "great" ones includes. But overall, he's really ******* good and only Jets fans question that. Players, coaches, GMs, "experts" all know he's great.

"Experts" ranked him 18th.

Meh. That's his personality. He also benched him after saying that, even in the absence of another viable QB on the roster.

Year 1: competition with Clemens (such as it was). Sanchez won. My preference, at the time, was to bring in Jeff Garcia, sit Sanchez until he beat him out (which he would have been incapable of), and Clemens could be the #3 or cut outright. Or just wait for Favre to un-retire. They didn't do either. Sanchez sucked as a rookie, but then had his best game in the playoffs vs Cincy, followed by a lousy game vs SD that he gets credit for being good in, then half a game vs Indy. For a rookie as bad as Sanchez, though, his playoff performance was considered a resounding success.

Year 2: Sanchez is the QB. The whole organization feels his improvement in the playoffs is a sign of things to come. Clemens is demoted to #3 after 40 year old Brunell is brought in to be the #2. Brees swore by Brunell as his #2, and former Brees QBC bought into it, along with Rex and Tannenbaum, who were heavily invested in Sanchez. Clemens demoted to #3 and is given shameful treatment by Tannenbaum on camera on HBO (tag the guy, he signs the tag, meaning he can't talk to other teams, then they threaten to cut him on final cutdown day unless he takes a 50% pay cut or something. I felt dirty just watching it. Sanchez has a much better season, particularly on paper. And does even better in the playoffs than he did a year earlier, before melting down against Pittsburgh. Still, no one - not even your beloved Darrell Bevell - would bench Sanchez or make him fight for his job at this point. Not at QB.

Year 3: Still just Sanchez and Brunell. He starts out ok and then melts down, causing the Jets to miss the playoffs.

Year 4: offseason: Jets pursue Peyton Manning to replace Sanchez. Manning turns us down. Tannenbaum stupidly extends him and brings in that stiff from Detroit to push Sanchez (which is a farce after Tannenbaum gave him over $20M guaranteed on a brand new extension). Then they get an even better idea: Tebow. Team names him the #2 before he even gets to NY. Stanton freaks out and the Jets agree to trade him. Sanchez sucks worse than ever, and a piss-poor receiving corps, highlighted by an unready Hill and injured Holmes, doesn't help any.

Year 5: Jets bring in Garrard then draft Smith. Garrard would have been the QB opening day if he didn't quit. Sanchez would have been traded if anyone would have taken him off our hands for a conditional 7th rounder in the year 2038. Except Garrard did quit, and Smith was even worse than Sanchez - who was still terrible in his own right - in the 2013 preseason.

I think their collective judgment on Sanchez sucked. All of them. But it wasn't just Ryan. It was the OC he inherited, who was also the QBC for 2 non-busts as they came out of college. Rex overruled his judgment just like Carroll overruled Bevell's judgment on Tavaris Jackson. They had pure-backup Whitehurst as the only other QB on the roster, meaning there was no competition there either.

Just saying, putting Sanchez squarely on Ryan is ludicrous. He's the coach, not the GM. NO one is suggesting Ryan played absolutely no role in the events. But what I do see already with Smith he's not coddling his young QB.

Garcia would have been ideal at that point.

To be clear, I'm not solely blaming Ryan for Sanchez. Clearly, Woody had a DuPont-style inappropriate boner for Sanchez, Tannenbaum was an attention whore, and Ryan thinks he can coach up anyone (which is laughable at this point). Sanchez, immature pansy that he was at USC, couldn't have come to a worse situation. What I'm objecting to, with you and others, is the assertion that Rex was an innocent bystander in the Sanchez affair. Dude was as culpable as anyone.

Archived