Reasons to feel good about the Jets

Maxman

Please chime in only if you can share some reasons to feel good about the Jets.  I want a serious thread, if you want to blast Rex or anyone else there are 10,000 other threads for that.

So Jets fans, what do you feel good about?

Here are a few of my reasons:

• The Defense:  I think they finally have a defense that can control the game.  The pass rush this year should be the best we have seen under Rex Ryan.  Everyone is worried about the secondary but the Jets letting Antonio Cromartie walk away is very telling.  Everyone would feel better if Cromartie was back, but the Jets decided to move in another direction; not the other way around.  There is depth in the secondary and the pass rush is going to be disruptive until the secondary hits its stride.
  • Geno Smith: He has a backup QB that will push him and can mentor him.  This is a good thing.  He is in his second year and Marty Morhinweg is happy with Geno.  If Mary is happy, I am happy.
  • The Running Backs - the Jets have talent here, lots of talent. Sure CJ is getting old but keeping him fresh will be a primary objective and shouldn't be hard to accomplish.  The Jets are going to be able to run the ball.

These are a few of the reasons I am a happy Jets fan.  What do you feel good about?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a surge of optimism last night, and I was sober !  It may just be the July factor, but this team may compete for a playoff spot this year, and has a bazillion dollars in cap room, and a ton of young talent for depth

it's possible, just possible, that going forward this team has depth and flexibility to go after star players without having to cut good players to make room for them and we won't have a team like the '08 team being led by a schmuck QB.

the seattle way was to bring in a ton of young, cheap, fast guys and coach them up and put them in the thunder dome and keep the best guys and cut the others.  I believe this is idziks goal.  He is putting a team together, and if Geno doesn't work out, he keeps looking for his QB, but won't have junk around the QB when he finds one, and will have money to lock him up long term if he ever does.

I will add the additions on offense as reasons for optimism

Decker - big target who makes plays with the ball in his hands

Johnson - marty's screen back that he didn't have last year, we will see marty's whole package this year

Vick - scum bag who can extend plays and throw the long ball

Amaro - raw but talented pass catcher who may give the jets a legit 2 TE look

Ford - speedster who the safeties have to respect deep

The Jets are definitely an improved football team heading into the 2014 season. There are several reasons to be optimistic the team will take a step forward this year. These reasons include the following:

• Improved QB play - Geno Smith  is immensely talented, but he clearly needed time to transition form the style of offense he ran in college to the style of offense he is being asked to run in the NFL. Ideally, he would have sat at least part of the 2013 to learn and develop as he transitioned into a starting role. We all know how that went though. The good thing is that he now has a full season as a starter under his belt. He gained valuable experience, and he clearly got better as the season went on. I expect his development to continue. If for whatever reason he should falter however, or even if he misses time due to injury, the fallback options are no longer the likes of Greg McElroy and Matt Simms. 
  • Improved Skill Position Players - Those who were expecting the Jets to improve the talent at the offensive skill positions cannot be disappointed. Eric Decker, Chris Johnson, Jace Amaro, Jalen Saunders, and Shaq Evans should all contribute to some extent. Jeremy Kerley is rock-solid and reliable, and now he has some help. Also, look out for big contributions form David Nelson who I think is criminally underrated. 
  • Defense, Defense, Defense - Yes, there are some questions about the secondary. This front seven is one of the best in the entire NFL, however, and while the secondary is young and largely unproven, it is a VERY talented group. Dee milliner seemed to finally begin to put things together down the stretch last season, and I truly believe he has the talent and skill-set to be a top cover corner which is exactly what this defense needs. Add Cal Pryor to the mix and I believe there is reason for optimism. The key is that they need to put pressure on opposing QB's (a healthy Antwan Barnes should help), and create turnovers. One of the main reasons the Jets managed to go 8-8 last season is because the defense kept them in games many people thought they had no chance to win. This year's defense should be even better than last year's. Despite the question marks, I think this defense has the potential to be an elite unit in 2014. 

I had a surge of optimism last night, and I was sober !  It may just be the July factor, but this team may compete for a playoff spot this year, and has a bazillion dollars in cap room, and a ton of young talent for depth

it's possible, just possible, that going forward this team has depth and flexibility to go after star players without having to cut good players to make room for them and we won't have a team like the '08 team being led by a schmuck QB.

the seattle way was to bring in a ton of young, cheap, fast guys and coach them up and put them in the thunder dome and keep the best guys and cut the others.  I believe this is idziks goal.  He is putting a team together, and if Geno doesn't work out, he keeps looking for his QB, but won't have junk around the QB when he finds one, and will have money to lock him up long term if he ever does.

Same here.

I don't know what it is that we have at QB - given the season that both Smith and Vick had in '13 - so any playoff predictions are difficult to say definitely yes or definitely no to in early-mid July.

What I do feel good about is IF we have a QB, and IF a number of these young guys pan out (Pryor, Amaro, Milliner, McDougle and at least one of the 4 linemen drafted), not to mention if only 1 WR drafted shows something.  It's a lot of IFs.  But they're not the kind of IFs that accompany UDFAs [insert McDougle joke here]; these are early & mid round picks.  It would leave the team with really just a few holes and the team is in a position to afford anyone they like.  That will depend on where the holes are and who's available rather than a philosophical rulebook that's never broken no matter who the player is or how much his demands.

Most of the guys we brought in, obviously other than Richardson (and probably Pryor) may end up being stiffs.  Totally possible.  But Idzik is not operating as a GM who has little faith in the guys drafted or the guys he would end up with in the (then) upcoming draft this season.  

Maybe it's just bitterness over a team good enough for the superbowl having Mark Sanchez as the best option on the roster, but I wouldn't feel amazing about swinging for the fences in free agency before we know for certain (1) what we have from the drafts, and (2) if we have a QB that makes the spent cap space at all worthwhile.

So in keeping with the IFs above, IF the team is merely decent this year (particularly if Smith takes a giant leap forward, which may still only make him average), the team is in crazy-good shape for more than just an upcoming season.

im excited to see a real offense. last two years our skill players were some of the worst in the league. with the additions of decker, johnson, amaro, ford and another season of nelson and ivory i think we can put up some points. that especially will ring true if, and i know its a big if, hill turns it around.  also excited about the dline. we all know they are the best unit on the team. they are all young and hungry. i think mo wilk will have a even more of a great season after being snubbed from the pro bowl.  pryor and allen have me intrigued at the safety position as well. if they are the real deal we will be set at that position for years to come.

1 - I'm excited that all of the team cancers and prima donna's have finally been sent packing.   Holmes and Sanchez were the final two that needed to go.   If nothing else this team should at least be likeable and fun to root for.   

2 - addition of playmakers on O.   CJ2K may have lost a step but he can still score from anywhere on the field and Decker should be a 1st down machine.  

3 - if the OLine can do anything at all then the offense should be good enough to win 10 games.    Forget about Geno, the OL will determine the success of this O. 

Geno is going to improve, no doubt about it. You saw it happening already at the end of last season, and while the offense is still no great shakes, there's definitely more for him to work with now.

Having a coach like Rex is always a plus because you know your defense is going to be competitive year in and year out. 

Same here.

I don't know what it is that we have at QB - given the season that both Smith and Vick had in '13 - so any playoff predictions are difficult to say definitely yes or definitely no to in early-mid July.

What I do feel good about is IF we have a QB, and IF a number of these young guys pan out (Pryor, Amaro, Milliner, McDougle and at least one of the 4 linemen drafted), not to mention if only 1 WR drafted shows something.  It's a lot of IFs.  But they're not the kind of IFs that accompany UDFAs [insert McDougle joke here]; these are early & mid round picks.  It would leave the team with really just a few holes and the team is in a position to afford anyone they like.  That will depend on where the holes are and who's available rather than a philosophical rulebook that's never broken no matter who the player is or how much his demands.

Most of the guys we brought in, obviously other than Richardson (and probably Pryor) may end up being stiffs.  Totally possible.  But Idzik is not operating as a GM who has little faith in the guys drafted or the guys he would end up with in the (then) upcoming draft this season.  

Maybe it's just bitterness over a team good enough for the superbowl having Mark Sanchez as the best option on the roster, but I wouldn't feel amazing about swinging for the fences in free agency before we know for certain (1) what we have from the drafts, and (2) if we have a QB that makes the spent cap space at all worthwhile.

So in keeping with the IFs above, IF the team is merely decent this year (particularly if Smith takes a giant leap forward, which may still only make him average), the team is in crazy-good shape for more than just an upcoming season.

agreed, if a reasonable amount of young guys pan out, the jets could be looking at a team that is competitive year in and year out, and hopefully getting away from these swings where we fire everybody and start from scratch every 3 years

1 - I'm excited that all of the team cancers and prima donna's have finally been sent packing.   Holmes and Sanchez were the final two that needed to go.   If nothing else this team should at least be likeable and fun to root for.   

2 - addition of playmakers on O.   CJ2K may have lost a step but he can still score from anywhere on the field and Decker should be a 1st down machine.  

3 - if the OLine can do anything at all then the offense should be good enough to win 10 games.    Forget about Geno, the OL will determine the success of this O. 

all of this spot on.   the clownectomy was overdue and should pay off

Our D line last year was fantastic and young, they are still young and only improving. With our D line hopefully getting to the quarterback easier, that will improve our secondary. We all have big hopes for Pryor and I truly think he'll deliver. Our running game last year was great, and that will improve with the addition of chris johnson who can also catch out of the backfield. Geno somehow managed to get us to 8-8 last year, and showed flashes of him being capable of being a good QB, regardless we also improved by adding Vick ( some may disagree, but almost every season vick has had was better than genos last year). Regardless of who is taking the snaps our receivers will be much better this year and really, overall, we're a better team than we were last year. And this year we're a young and hungry team whose ready to make it to the playoffs! CANT WAIT FOR THE JETS BABY

I'm excited about the players we've drafted recently. I was very happy with last years draft and think it was a huge success, imo. Milliner , Sheldon , Geno and Winters all have the potential to be good for a long time with us. Whether they all reach that potential has yet to be seen but it's fun to keep an eye on. As for this years draft I'm ecstatic to see Pryor, Jace, Dex and the 3 receivers we drafted and how they do in their rookie seasons, should be fun.

1 - I'm excited that all of the team cancers and prima donna's have finally been sent packing. Holmes and Sanchez were the final two that needed to go. If nothing else this team should at least be likeable and fun to root for.

2 - addition of playmakers on O. CJ2K may have lost a step but he can still score from anywhere on the field and Decker should be a 1st down machine.

3 - if the OLine can do anything at all then the offense should be good enough to win 10 games. Forget about Geno, the OL will determine the success of this O.

Great point about the O-Line. Hoping for a healthy Colon and an improved Winters.

Positives: it's almost over

:Banane43:

Lot of positives but the negatives weigh them down.  But its a 'positive' thread so.....

WR corps vastly improved with addition of Decker, Amaro and a few of the WR rooks. 

OL improved with addition of Dozier, a year under Winters belt and Gianncomo?  is an even replacement at RT.

Vick will take over eventually (one can only hope).

Running game added Johnson so more depth for that crew.

Defense is young with numerous players going into their prime.   

Secondary will be substantially better - more depth and Milliner is emerging and we finally got a slam bam thank you ma'am safety.     

Wait - where am I? Can anyone tell me where JN is? I kid! I'm not getting on the playoffs train just yet, but it's hard to say the Jets won't be competitive this year. Lots of young talent - hopefully, our trainer is doing his job and keeping guys on the field, then we'll be tough to beat week in and week out.

Our D line last year was fantastic and young, they are still young and only improving. With our D line hopefully getting to the quarterback easier, that will improve our secondary. We all have big hopes for Pryor and I truly think he'll deliver. Our running game last year was great, and that will improve with the addition of chris johnson who can also catch out of the backfield. Geno somehow managed to get us to 8-8 last year, and showed flashes of him being capable of being a good QB, regardless we also improved by adding Vick ( some may disagree, but almost every season vick has had was better than genos last year). Regardless of who is taking the snaps our receivers will be much better this year and really, overall, we're a better team than we were last year. And this year we're a young and hungry team whose ready to make it to the playoffs! CANT WAIT FOR THE JETS BABY

13th in sacks. 22nd in pass defense. They're going to have to cover.

13th in sacks. 22nd in pass defense. They're going to have to cover.

Last season, Milliner was terrible for 3/4 of the year, and Cromartie was terrible for the whole year. If Milliner can pick up where he left off, and Patterson/McDougle can at least be reliable on the other side, the pass defense should be significantly improved over last year. Be awesome if the rookies could hit the ground running, but the back end of the Jets' defense seems to take some time to learn. Hopefully, even if the coverage is a little spotty, Pryor is out there intimidating receivers into dropping the football. 

I think you guys have pretty much covered it.  So I'll go to individual players I'm excited about and why.

Geno - for obvious reasons but we need to see with some real weapons and consistency if he can take his game to the next level.  It's pretty much watching the future of the franchise.  Is he the guy or are we searching again next year?

Nelson, Hill, Ford, Cumberland and the rookie pass catchers - 2 or 3 of these guys are going to step up and contribute big time IMO.  We know Decker, Kerley and Johnson are going to be solid pass catching options for Geno but they're going to need more.  I could honestly see anyone of those guys really stepping up and helping the offense.

Winters - I had high hopes for this guy, didnt quite live up to expectations but still think he has a ton of promise. 

CJ2K - the Jets havent had a RB like this is forever, if he can be 90% of what he was with the Titans, we're in for a treat.

Coples - really think he's the break out player of the year.  He's dropped weight, healthy, has some consistency in position...this is his year.  I think he's going to be nasty.

Milliner - is he what we saw during the last quarter of the season?

Pryor - is he the enforcer we're being sold on?  Landry was nasty in this D, making plays all over the field and it was fun to watch.  Can Pryor be that guy?

Rookies - who emerges?  Tons of talent but who sticks?

Archived