Eric Allen: Name 6 AFC teams better than the Jets

Maxman

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is this a serious question?  Ravens, Colts, Broncos, Steelers, Patriots, Chiefs...

I put Pitt in there because they always give us a problem.  Them and the Ravens always seem to be a bit more tough than us.  I'd even throw the Bengals on that list but I already had six.

Dwight Freeney, lol

And hey, someone like Cro played, therefore he was not injured.

11th fewest games lost to injury. But we had it bad amiright? I mean what about them Chargers, being ranked 28th on that list and only making the playoffs. But boy I tell ya, we had it way worse then them you know cause Kerley is way better then Floyd and Gronk.

And you know, Melvin Ingram? Chargers first round pick? Him tearing his acl and being out for the season is nothing compared to Cro hurting his hip. I mean really Cro's such a baller, I guess that's why we resigned hi.. oh wait, we didn't. And also, if only Freeney was as big as part of the Chargers plans as Cro was for the Jets plans, I mean it's not like we cut him or anything, oh wait we did just that.

Man we had it bad, going 8-8 with all these injuries and lack of talent. Sign Rex up to the hall of fame cause he's obviously the goat. 

No, I just choose to live my life not being a negative prick. I've read that it'll help me live longer.

So far, you bring less to this site than Rex brings to coaching, Woody brings to ownership, or Geno brings to QB'ing.

And you think this is being positive?  

The jets pretty much won 8 games last year because of their defense.  They pretty much lost 8 games because their QB sucked and the offense was horrible.   

Who knows if Geno will be any better.  If he's around the same player as last year, the Jets are in trouble.   If he improves or Vick is the guy and doesn't get injured, anything is possible.

The offense should have more weapons this year.  But who knows if Decker will be a #1 WR or not. Who knows if CJ has anything left. Who knows if Ivory can stay healthy.   Who knows if any of their rookies actually play on offense.     

As far as the defense,  they signed a bunch of injury prone guys.  They have a 2nd year CB who pretty much sucked for 85 percent of last season as the #2 CB. Now he's the defacto #1 guy.  They have a big mouth rookie safety who hasn't proven a thing in the NFL and i imagine some teams have his name on their locker room.  They also have an OC who wasn't all that great in Philly for the most part and when he left, a new HC and OC suddenly made the young backup QB into Peyton Manning.  Was it just maturity or was it actually coaching ?    Who knows.  It wasn't like the Jets offense was any good last year. Blame it on lack of talent, but the reality is the Jets offense stunk under Marty last year.

And being better than a team in one game is pointless.   Great the Jets could beat the Patriots 30-3, beat the Broncos 30-10,  and still wind up 8-8 because they don't show up for half the other games.    Last year they beat up the Saints at home and pretty much stunk after that till a few meaningless games to end the season.  When the games counted last year and people expected something, the Jets sucked.   And they really sucked as in being blown out in most of their losses.   The offense should be better this year, but it all revolved around Geno.   If Geno is a turnover machine and Vick can't start half the season,  the Jets aren't going to be that much different than last year.  And they were barely an 8-8 team last season.

There is a lot of excitement this year, but there are also a lot of unknowns on this team.  You expect the Broncos and Pats to go 13-3 or 12-4.  You expect them to be in the AFC Championship game.   And even if some players get hurt or others aren't as good as advertised, it's pretty much what Manning and Brady have done in their careers.  They get their teams to win divisions, to win home field advantage, and to the playoffs.     The Jets could go 5-11 and nobody would be shocked.  That's the difference.  

So yeah in one game, the Jets could beat the Pats or Broncos.  But even if they did, those two teams are still expected to win the division and fight for home field in the playoffs.  The Jets need to have a lot of young players and unknown players to step up to even think about going 10-6.  Big difference.

11th fewest games lost to injury. But we had it bad amiright? I mean what about them Chargers, being ranked 28th on that list and only making the playoffs. But boy I tell ya, we had it way worse then them you know cause Kerley is way better then Floyd and Gronk.

And you know, Melvin Ingram? Chargers first round pick? Him tearing his acl and being out for the season is nothing compared to Cro hurting his hip. I mean really Cro's such a baller, I guess that's why we resigned hi.. oh wait, we didn't. And also, if only Freeney was as big as part of the Chargers plans as Cro was for the Jets plans, I mean it's not like we cut him or anything, oh wait we did just that.

Man we had it bad, going 8-8 with all these injuries and lack of talent. Sign Rex up to the hall of fame cause he's obviously the goat. 

Dwight Freeney? He had 0.5 sacks in a freaking month before getting hurt, and 5 all of last year.  Melvin Ingram played all year the last season and Mr. T-Rex arms finished up with 1 sack as a pure pass rusher.  He added all of 1 sack in his month of play this year after going on PUP (not IR).

Just stop it. You don't know anything about these guys and are just throwing their names around because you've heard of them. 

Cromartie was way, way bigger loss. That he suited up every week doesn't mean that he was some sort of asset on the field. The guy went from being Revis-lite stickem on a receiver in 2012 - the guy who covers up for inadequacies elsewhere - to being pretty much the worst CB in football. But hey, he didn't miss the game so whatever. Don't pay attention to him starting opposite a rookie corner whose injury caused him to miss much-needed camp, and then got injured outright himself.  The 2 starting corners' injuries had nothing to do with the pass D being in the toilet.  Nothing at all.  

And your justification for suggesting the team's (planned) #1 corner last year being a meaningless injury? Well, after he became damaged goods and the team wanted to then move on, they cut him and didn't bring him back. Sounds like a rock-solid argument.

Coples broke his freaking ankle but came back early anyway. Your logic suggests that playing injured - at a newer position, no less - is the same as playing healthy.  Never mind that once he was far enough removed from his injury that he could be considered as healthy as Ingram was to start the season, Coples was pretty much getting a sack a game.  Then the Jets' other dedicated pass rusher - who was just as productive of a pass rusher as either SD OLB at that stage - missed as much of the season as Ingram.  

And bringing up Gronkowski is just the pinnacle of absurd since his injury is 100% on Belichick in the first place.  Puts him in on special teams in the 4th quarter of a game that was already in the bag and he hasn't been right ever since, save a couple of games of action.  Amendola was always injury-prone and Belichick picked him over Welker because those 2 hate each other. But Amendola played a dozen games so I'm confused how you think any of his injuries were significant, based on your comments towards Jets players who missed as many games or more.

Show me a head coach that lost its all-star QB, where the best options on the team was in choosing between Geno Smith and Matt Simms, and still went to the playoffs last year.  I think Sanchez was trash so giving Smith as many tryout games as possible was probably worth it even if Sanchez was healthy.

All of this just overlooks that the new GM purged the roster and treated the whole season as a total all at once throwaway instead of doing a slow bandaid peel that takes a few seasons. Then on top of that, the team sustains season-long or significantly-nagging injuries that rob star players of the ability to be more than mediocre (if even that, in some cases).  And your assessment is the team finishing 8-8 is proof positive that they didn't overcome squat, and but for the HC this was a sure playoff team that should have been competing for a superbowl or something. 

Then you top it off by showing to be yet another well-balanced poster who plays the silly game of: if you don't feel Ryan is the worst HC in football who must be fired yesterday, then you must think he's an all-knowing genius headed straight for the HOF if he retired tomorrow.  

The jets pretty much won 8 games last year because of their defense.  They pretty much lost 8 games because their QB sucked and the offense was horrible.   

Who knows if Geno will be any better.  If he's around the same player as last year, the Jets are in trouble.   If he improves or Vick is the guy and doesn't get injured, anything is possible.

The offense should have more weapons this year.  But who knows if Decker will be a #1 WR or not. Who knows if CJ has anything left. Who knows if Ivory can stay healthy.   Who knows if any of their rookies actually play on offense.     

As far as the defense,  they signed a bunch of injury prone guys.  They have a 2nd year CB who pretty much sucked for 85 percent of last season as the #2 CB. Now he's the defacto #1 guy.  They have a big mouth rookie safety who hasn't proven a thing in the NFL and i imagine some teams have his name on their locker room.  They also have an OC who wasn't all that great in Philly for the most part and when he left, a new HC and OC suddenly made the young backup QB into Peyton Manning.  Was it just maturity or was it actually coaching ?    Who knows.  It wasn't like the Jets offense was any good last year. Blame it on lack of talent, but the reality is the Jets offense stunk under Marty last year.

And being better than a team in one game is pointless.   Great the Jets could beat the Patriots 30-3, beat the Broncos 30-10,  and still wind up 8-8 because they don't show up for half the other games.    Last year they beat up the Saints at home and pretty much stunk after that till a few meaningless games to end the season.  When the games counted last year and people expected something, the Jets sucked.   And they really sucked as in being blown out in most of their losses.   The offense should be better this year, but it all revolved around Geno.   If Geno is a turnover machine and Vick can't start half the season,  the Jets aren't going to be that much different than last year.  And they were barely an 8-8 team last season.

There is a lot of excitement this year, but there are also a lot of unknowns on this team.  You expect the Broncos and Pats to go 13-3 or 12-4.  You expect them to be in the AFC Championship game.   And even if some players get hurt or others aren't as good as advertised, it's pretty much what Manning and Brady have done in their careers.  They get their teams to win divisions, to win home field advantage, and to the playoffs.     The Jets could go 5-11 and nobody would be shocked.  That's the difference.  

So yeah in one game, the Jets could beat the Pats or Broncos.  But even if they did, those two teams are still expected to win the division and fight for home field in the playoffs.  The Jets need to have a lot of young players and unknown players to step up to even think about going 10-6.  Big difference.

Totally agree with almost all of this.  Even for the points I didn't agree with, the difference would be nitpicking. Certainly agree with a lot more than I disagreed on.

I think it's too easily glossed over that at their worst, the team lost its top 4+ WRs it had at the start of the season, not to mention the only offensive HR threat on the team, but Smith looked bad no matter who the receivers were.

On balance, though, you'll get little dispute from me that the key to it all is Smith. Even if Vick is a little better, who cares; he's not taking them to the SB anyway. If Smith gets better - MUCH better - this could be exciting.  If not, I don't care who the coach is you're not going to bowl over every tough team if your biggest handicap is your QB can't pass accurately or hold onto the football.  He was young and unready, so I can cut him a lot of slack for last year.  But now he has to show that he can be an asset instead of a player whose weaknesses & gross inexperience need to be gameplanned around by the OC.

Good post.

The jets pretty much won 8 games last year because of their defense. They pretty much lost 8 games because their QB sucked and the offense was horrible.

In the Jets 8 losses, the awesome defense gave up averages of 66% completion rate, 255 yards per, with 16 TDs to only 3 INTs to opposing passers, including such luminaries as Jake Locker, EJ Manuel, and Ryan Tannheill. Unless Geno was playing corner in those 8 games, it's best to stop pretending that he alone was holding the Jets back.

In the Jets 8 losses, the awesome defense gave up averages of 66% completion rate, 255 yards per, with 16 TDs to only 3 INTs to opposing passers, including such luminaries as Jake Locker, EJ Manuel, and Ryan Tannheill. Unless Geno was playing corner in those 8 games, it's best as stop pretending that he alone was holding the Jets back.

Pryor being Jack Tatum clears all that up tho.

In the Jets 8 losses, the awesome defense gave up averages of 66% completion rate, 255 yards per, with 16 TDs to only 3 INTs to opposing passers, including such luminaries as Jake Locker, EJ Manuel, and Ryan Tannheill. Unless Geno was playing corner in those 8 games, it's best to stop pretending that he alone was holding the Jets back.

The Jets were the #31 team in turnover differential last year. Geno turning over the ball was a major issue, and the Jets' defense being unable to take the ball away was another. Their interception total was a relatively low 22nd overall, but where they really stunk was fumble recoveries - where they recovered a league low two.

Both sides of the ball need improvement. On offense, it's really just Geno, whereas on defense it's a group effort. There's no doubt that the secondary was weak, and that's probably why two of their first draft picks play in the secondary. Milliner played very well the last quarter of the season after playing really poorly the first 3/4. Hopefully, that's a good sign. I'm optimistic. I think the league low fumble recovery number has a lot to do with the luck of the bounce of the ball. The Jets caused fumbles, but didn't land on them. That really has to be an anomaly. The pass rush should be improved just by the improved health of Barnes and Coples, and the secondary should be improved with the improved Milliner and influx of talent. The defense has to be able to get themselves off the field this year.

And Geno has to help them. He can't keep giving the opposing team nearly indefensible field position. He also came on at the end of the year, and the improved cast -particularly Decker and Johnson- should help him to limit mistakes. Here, my optimism is a little more cautious. We saw Sanchez perfiorm relatively well in the post season only to crap the bed the following year. Geno has to build on his last four games. Tuck the ball and run when there's nothing there.

The moves the team made in the offseason suggest to me that they recognized their weaknesses and addressed them. Geno has this year -if that- to demonstrate he's the guy. The defense has to return to standard Rex Ryan levels this season, however, or you may get your wish.

Pats,Broncos,Bengals,Colts,Chiefs,Chargers. Amiright?

I would argue with the Chiefs and Chargers being better than the Jets. I think the Jets are going to be better than people think, even though it may not show up in the overall standings. The first seven games are tough, tough, tough. If they come through it 4-3 I can see a 10-6 season. However, they may well be 3-4 or 2-5 after seven games on the way to 8-8. First of all Rex needs to shut his freakin pie hole about how good he thinks the team is. No one cares about Rex's opinion except to poke fun at it. I am sure his comments are on Tommy boy's bulletin board and BB's as well.

Dwight Freeney? He had 0.5 sacks in a freaking month before getting hurt, and 5 all of last year.  Melvin Ingram played all year last season and Mr. T-Rex arms finished up with 1 sack as a pure pass rusher.  He added all of 1 sack in his month of play this year before going on IR.

Just stop it. You don't know anything about these guys and are just throwing their names around because you've heard of them. 

Cromartie was way, way bigger loss. That he suited up every week doesn't mean that he was some sort of asset on the field. The guy went from being Revis-lite stickem on a receiver in 2012 - the guy who covers up for inadequacies elsewhere - to being pretty much the worst CB in football. But hey, he didn't miss the game so whatever. Don't pay attention to him starting opposite a rookie corner whose injury caused him to miss much-needed camp, and then got injured outright himself.  The 2 starting corners' injuries had nothing to do with the pass D being in the toilet.  Nothing at all.  

And your justification for suggesting the team's (planned) #1 corner last year being a meaningless injury? Well, after he became damaged goods and the team wanted to then move on, they cut him and didn't bring him back. Sounds like a rock-solid argument.

Coples broke his freaking ankle but came back early anyway. Your logic suggests that playing injured - at a newer position, no less - is the same as playing healthy.  Never mind that once he was far enough removed from his injury that he could be considered as healthy as Ingram was to start the season, Coples was pretty much getting a sack a game.  Then the Jets' other dedicated pass rusher - who was just as productive of a pass rusher as either SD OLB at that stage - missed as much of the season as Ingram.  

And bringing up Gronkowski is just the pinnacle of absurd since his injury is 100% on Belichick in the first place.  Puts him in on special teams in the 4th quarter of a game that was already in the bag and he hasn't been right ever since, save a couple of games of action.  Amendola was always injury-prone and Belichick picked him over Welker because those 2 hate each other. But Amendola played a dozen games so I'm confused how you think any of his injuries were significant, based on your comments towards Jets players who missed as many games or more.

Show me a head coach that lost its all-star QB, where the best options on the team was in choosing between Geno Smith and Matt Simms, and still went to the playoffs last year.  I think Sanchez was trash so giving Smith as many tryout games as possible was probably worth it even if Sanchez was healthy.

All of this just overlooks that the new GM purged the roster and treated the whole season as a total all at once throwaway instead of doing a slow bandaid peel that takes a few seasons. Then on top of that, the team sustains season-long or significantly-nagging injuries that rob star players of the ability to be more than mediocre (if even that, in some cases).  And your assessment is the team finishing 8-8 is proof positive that they didn't overcome squat, and but for the HC this was a sure playoff team that should have been competing for a superbowl or something. 

Then you top it off by showing to be yet another well-balanced poster who plays the silly game of: if you don't feel Ryan is the worst HC in football who must be fired yesterday, then you must think he's an all-knowing genius headed straight for the HOF if he retired tomorrow.  

Lol Ingram was a freaking rookie who a lot of people were expecting to step up last year. I like how you bring up how Milliner hurting his shoulder and hamstring is anything compared to a blown out acl on a rookie the team was expecting to take major leaps. Face it whether you like it or not, missing the season is a lot worse then being injured and still being able to play. And wtf on Gronk, he got hurt that's all the matters. Have you forgotten what were arguing about, you seem to believe that the Jets are one of the worst injured teams when their was a freaking report to dispute that, and guess what the Chargers and the Patriots were in the bottom 5. The Jets did not have it as bad compared to other teams. The freaking Chargers were missing their top 4 outside linebackers at one point in the season, Freeney, Ingram, English, and Johnson. Te'o also got hurt, their freaking 2nd rounder who they traded up for. And hell since we're on corners what about the Bills missing a chunk of their starting corners when we played them and beat them, but wait I guess that doesn't matter cause you know the Jets had it bad, despite a lot of their injured players being able to play. And yes that is completely ******* different then missing games and being out for the season, despite you thinking it's not.

And you think the Chargers injuries had nothing to do with their defense sucking balls? Get the **** out of here. And btw you dispute your own logic with your Amendola statement, the one where he's alway injured so its bound to happen. In case you haven't noticed Cromartie is getting old, so you can easily make a random claim like your Amendola statement that since he's getting old he's bound to get injured.

The jets pretty much won 8 games last year because of their defense. They pretty much lost 8 games because their QB sucked and the offense was horrible. Pedro, the Jets went 7-1 at home and were 1-7 on the road which is typical for a rookie QB. Jets were

totally inconsistent - which is a Rex trademark and always has been. That is what needs to change more than anything. Rex has to show that he can get his team up for big games AND KEEP THEM AT THAT LEVEL. He has never shown that so far.

Lol Ingram was a freaking rookie who a lot of people were expecting to step up last year. I like how you bring up how Milliner hurting his shoulder and hamstring is anything compared to a blown out acl on a rookie the team was expecting to take major leaps. Face it whether you like it or not, missing the season is a lot worse then being injured and still being able to play. And wtf on Gronk, he got hurt that's all the matters. Have you forgotten what were arguing about, you seem to believe that the Jets are one of the worst injured teams when their was a freaking report to dispute that, and guess what the Chargers and the Patriots were in the bottom 5. The Jets did not have it as bad compared to other teams. The freaking Chargers were missing their top 4 outside linebackers at one point in the season, Freeney, Ingram, English, and Johnson. Te'o also got hurt, their freaking 2nd rounder who they traded up for. And hell since we're on corners what about the Bills missing a chunk of their starting corners when we played them and beat them, but wait I guess that doesn't matter cause you know the Jets had it bad, despite a lot of their injured players being able to play. And yes that is completely ******* different then missing games and being out for the season, despite you thinking it's not.

And you think the Chargers injuries had nothing to do with their defense sucking balls? Get the **** out of here. And btw you dispute your own logic with your Amendola statement, the one where he's alway injured so its bound to happen. In case you haven't noticed Cromartie is getting old, so you can easily make a random claim like your Amendola statement that since he's getting old he's bound to get injured.

You keep going on as though Ingram missed the entire season. He did not.  His knee injury was bad, but not as bad as others since he was back on the field within 6 months. He came back and played for a month and had 7 tackles (1 of them a sack of the great Matt McGloin whose speed may very well be rivaled by half the league's 300-lb DTs). Expectations aside, he'd never shown anything.  Those "expectations" were based on nothing other than draft position plus wishful thinking, rather than his play, being that he got injured in freaking OTAs.

Him and Freeney? You know what happened when Freeney went down? They finally starting holding some opponents to under 20 points & 200 passing yards.  The Bolts pass defense SUCKED until Freeney went down. It still was nothing special, but it definitely was better without him than with him.  Hell, it even got better starting IN the game they left the field (week 4). After Freeney went down in the 2nd quarter, Dallas scored one TD, but by the 2nd half they adjusted to life without him and shut out Dallas in the 2nd half. 

Whatever pre-season you or anyone expected from Ingram makes no difference.  But hey, he strip-sacked Matt McGloin in week 15, which happened in most of McGloin's games I think.

Cromartie's getting old? He was 29 freaking years old.  He played like crap because of an injury that has nothing to do with age; hamstring injuries hit players of every age and any football fan knows this. The guy was as good a CB as there was at 28. He missed exactly 1 game in his prior 7 seasons combined.  But at 29 he's suddenly old and that makes him injury-prone.  At CB.  What a ludicrous thing to say.  Especially when you're piling on about the surprise handicap of 33 1/2 year old Dwight Freeney getting injured (and he was injured plenty often in the past to boot).

The jets pretty much won 8 games last year because of their defense. They pretty much lost 8 games because their QB sucked and the offense was horrible. Pedro, the Jets went 7-1 at home and were 1-7 on the road which is typical for a rookie QB. Jets were

totally inconsistent - which is a Rex trademark and always has been. That is what needs to change more than anything. Rex has to show that he can get his team up for big games AND KEEP THEM AT THAT LEVEL. He has never shown that so far.

Agree. But in the past, when the team was decent, what can he do about a QB who turns the ball over 3x (whether Geno or Sanchez)? Coach him to not throw picks that game? When he wants his QB to be more careful with the ball the fans get on him for that as well. 

If Smith gets better - much better - it'll go a long way across the board on the team.  When the QB turns it over, the defense gives up more points. Maybe not initially or always, but it weighs on a defense both physically and psychologically. Even worse when it happens with such frequency.

The receivers are good enough (I don't give a #2 about whether or not Decker is or is not a #1).  The line needs to play a bit better - Winters and Ferguson in particular - and the secondary a lot better.  Winters got better towards the end but I'll wait for real practices at a minimum before I start to believe he's actually gotten noticeably better.  The secondary should be better, even if some fans don't like Patterson's name as much as Cromartie's, or McDougle's compared to other CBs on the board then.  

While the team is not done acquiring players for good, IMO what they have should be good enough this year that if - big if - Geno turns things around significantly enough they could be downright nasty. Whatever; would could should. If he sucks again, then pretty much everyone's going to look worse than they are and Vick is no savior himself.

Archived