Jets Fan Crash Course?

jetsbrother

Hi all --

I am the brother of one of the biggest Jets fans on the planet, and our father passed away this weekend. They used to watch football all the time, and I've always been the black sheep of the family that doesn't watch football, despite being somewhat interested. I've just never made it a priority keeping up with the sport.

Anyway, I thought I'd try this season to really follow the sport and learn everything I can, if only to partially fill the hole left by our father. I figure anyone that regularly posts on this forum is well-equipped to educate a potentially new Jets fan on all of the inner workings of the team, and perhaps anything else a fan needs to know. Rivalries, recent history, new trades, important plays, etc. Seriously, treat me like a kid that only knows the basics of football, and is just learning about the Jets.

I'm probably asking for a lot, but I figure if you all dump what part of up-to-date Jets knowledge you have or have some good reading material I can plow through, I have a strong memory and can probably shovel it all in there over the next month so I can watch some games without being completely lost. 

Opinions matter too. Who is a bum? Who is great? Which players outside of the Jets do we hate?

Anyway, thanks in advance. 

JetsBrother

Sorry for your loss JB, a noble undertaking on your part for sure, althought there are many Jet "fans" who will make you think you've mistakenly joined a Patriots message board.  Stick around for a bit and you'll be able to figure out who the more level-headed and realistic fans are.  Best for  you to learn from them.

Welcome sorry for the loss of your father.

Keep expectations in contrrol and hope for the Super Bowl in my lifetime is my Jets motto.

Pats suck will get you a lot of friends on this site.

Players to like:

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

C Nick Mangold

WR Eric Decker

WR Jeremy Kerley, a little slot receiver and a fan favorite

DE Muhammed Wilkerson

DE Sheldon Richardson

DT Damon Harrison (AKA "Big Snacks")

K Nick Folk, puns to be made whenever he kicks a game winner include "Folk Hero," "Folk Yeah!" and "Folk You!"

Best Jets to trash on:

CB Kyle Wilson

Rookies to look out for:

S Calvin Pryor, big hitter, went to school in Louisville thus the nickname, "Louisville Slugger"

TE Jace Amaro, big, quick beast of a man but unpolished

G Dakota Dozier, nasty road grader

Enemies of the state:

Bill Belichick, Coach, New England Patriots

Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots

Darelle Revis, CB, New England Patriots/traitor

The Dolphins (the whole team)

Team that you will hate but also pity:

Buffalo Bills

Jets team strengths: defensive line, special teams

Jets team weaknesses: passing game, offensively and defensively

Remember the first time you got kicked in the nuts?  Just think of that experience and imagine it happening over and over and over.....

That's what it's like being a Jets fan.

except in this example, you're paying the guy to kick you in the nuts

JetsBrother sorry for your loss. An important thing to know: we hate Tom Brady. If you throw in a "Tom Brady sucks" at the end of your posts, your reputation here will be solid. Stoicsenry had a pretty detailed post so study what he said, as it is all true. And yes, we hate the Dolphins, all of them. 

Sorry for your loss. My number 1 bit of advice, get an authentic jersey and a PSL, you aren't a real fan without it. 

edit: I'm just kidding about PSLs and jerseys. The best thing you can do is read as much as possible and listen. You'll form your own opinions of the players, don't let other people influence you.  Interact here. and just enjoy your time watching the game with your family. 

Don't worry about how much you know. It won't change how you enjoy each game. Football is entertainment, that's all. So just enjoy.

Random notes:

Joe Klecko should be in the Hall of Fame, but isn't.

Mo Wilkerson gets dissed for the Pro-Bowl.

Rich Kotite should be burned in effigy annually.

It is satisfying to poke needles into a Dan Marino voodoo doll for all of the pain caused by the fake spike.

The mention of Doug Brien should create feelings of rage in all Jet fans.

Santonio Holmes is a bum.

sorry for your loss

I would recommend the namath biography by mark kriegel as a starting point.  You will learn about the early AFL days, and how sonny werblin and joe namath changed football forever. 

then there are the dark 70's nobody knows anything about that era.  scary.  stay away

the 80's had one eye wesley walker, joe klecko, lots of excitement, and soul crushing losses

the 90's had dennis byrd, parcells and vinny and soul crushing losses

the 00's had pennington and soul crushing losses

the 10's had the butt fumble and soul crushing losses

welcome !!!!

My condolences.

Re: the Jets. Just don't do it. Take up golf. Begin several bad relationships with emotionally damaged women. Drink too much. Travel. Just don't get mixed up with the Jets or their fans. It's simply not, not ever will it be, worth the time. Run.

My condolences.

Re: the Jets. Just don't do it. Take up golf. Begin several bad relationships with emotionally damaged women. Drink too much. Travel. Just don't get mixed up with the Jets or their fans. It's simply not, not ever will it be, worth the time. Run.

I do all of the above and I've turned out fine

Hi all --

I am the brother of one of the biggest Jets fans on the planet, and our father passed away this weekend. They used to watch football all the time, and I've always been the black sheep of the family that doesn't watch football, despite being somewhat interested. I've just never made it a priority keeping up with the sport.

Anyway, I thought I'd try this season to really follow the sport and learn everything I can, if only to partially fill the hole left by our father. I figure anyone that regularly posts on this forum is well-equipped to educate a potentially new Jets fan on all of the inner workings of the team, and perhaps anything else a fan needs to know. Rivalries, recent history, new trades, important plays, etc. Seriously, treat me like a kid that only knows the basics of football, and is just learning about the Jets.

I'm probably asking for a lot, but I figure if you all dump what part of up-to-date Jets knowledge you have or have some good reading material I can plow through, I have a strong memory and can probably shovel it all in there over the next month so I can watch some games without being completely lost. 

Opinions matter too. Who is a bum? Who is great? Which players outside of the Jets do we hate?

Anyway, thanks in advance. 

JetsBrother

So sorry for your loss.  This is great what you are trying to do.

Just hang around the forums, read a lot. You will pick things up quickly!

My condolences...The fist annirversary of my father's passing was last week.   I think what you are doing is honorable.  Hanging around the messages boards will give you a lot of information... But a greater amount of opnion.   Since your brother is as you say the biggest Jets fan.  I am sure he could answer a lot of your questions and it will give you an opportunity to bond, or at least get closer in this most difficult time. 

Come here for fun....Talk to your brother about the Jets.  I am sure that he would really like the fact that you are trying to take interest. 

I will keep you and your family in my prayers...

Again my condolences.   

Thanks for all of the starting info, guys. Here's what 24 hours of soaking up the information (including lunch with my brother) got me:

* Don't say "the Jets" when discussing the Jets, say "we"
* holy sh*t, some of these first names are going to be hard to memorize
* Being a fan after Super Bowl 3 is basically like being repeatedly punched in the dick
* Mark Sanchez' butt fumble was a hard, long lasting dickpunch
* Sanchez is now benched on the Eagles, and Vick came from the Eagles to sit on our bench
* Geno Smith was started even as a rookie and will continue to be started
* Vick isn't started because he has a tendency to be injured and we want Smith to become our next great QB
* Smith is currently rated 30/32 out of QBs, but we are still optimistic
* you can win with good defense, but not without a decent QB
* The reason we hate the pats and the dolphins are because they are in our division, and every division winner goes to the playoffs.
* This is also the reason we pity the Bills.
* The reason we hate the pats the most is that they seem to be our biggest division threat
* pats suck
* tom brady sucks
* tom brady is ranked #2 after peyton manning currently (from that guy that put Smith at 30)
* tom brady still sucks
* If we don't win our division, we're going to need a better record than 8-8 to get a shot at a "wildcard" spot
* our head coach Rex Ryan hasn't made it to the playoffs the last 3 years, and has been coach for going on 5 now, which is "bad"
* recently Ryan started sounding like "the old Ryan" (not sure what that means, but is apparently positive)
* our first game this season is against the raiders, which we have a good shot at winning
* people are concerned we're going to go 1-6 into the season because our schedule is front loaded with hard teams, but we need to try to win 3 of them
* new rookies sound like they're going to be good weapons for our defense
* Folk yeah
* buy a cup, more dickpunches are coming
* "and the hoooome ... of theeeeee ... JETS"

Corrections/additions are welcome.

You are off to a good start

Jets do better as the underdogs then as favorites  throughtout the years.

We want Geno to be our QB because he is young and we still have to find out if he can be any good. Vick we know from history

Thanks for all of the starting info, guys. Here's what 24 hours of soaking up the information (including lunch with my brother) got me:

-- Depends on how much credit you want to take for them.
* Being a fan after Super Bowl 3 is basically like being repeatedly punched in the dick
    -- Jets "Super Bowls" are the times we beat the Pats.
    --  Nah, that would be Sanchez's career and especially his contract extension.  The buttfumble hilarious to most of us who hated him already.  Mark Sanchez did indeed ruin thanksgiving though. 
* Sanchez is now benched on the Eagles, and Vick came from the Eagles to sit on our bench
     -- "was started" or "to be started" isn't really how it's said.  Geno Smith is starting; Geno Smith started; Geno Smith was/is the starter; Geno Smith was/is the starting QB. 
* Vick isn't started because he has a tendency to be injured and we want Smith to become our next great QB
      -- Yes, Vick is old, Geno is young.  Geno provides a possible long term solution at the position, something the Jets haven't had since SBIII.
      -- Some are optimistic, some are not.  But, those who are mainly are so because he was a rookie with terrible and injured WRs, and he never played in a pro style offense or "under center" (ie, not in shotgun) in college.
       -- yes, unless you have an elite defense, hence the reason behind our recent AFC Championship runs and their ultimate demise.
* The reason we hate the pats and the dolphins are because they are in our division, and every division winner goes to the playoffs.
       -- That's the beginning of it, but there's plenty more.  Belichick's job history, passing on Marino and the fake spike, etc.
* The reason we hate the pats the most is that they seem to be our biggest division threat
       -- And Brady/Belichick.  The Dolphins have always been the biggest rival, only since Brady/Belichick has it been the Pats.
* pats suck
       -- Yup.
* tom brady sucks
        -- Don't forget that he's a closeted gay, despite his super model wife.
* tom brady is ranked #2 after peyton manning currently (from that guy that put Smith at 30)
         -- Not sure where these rankings are coming from, but don't agree either at present, or in the all time list.
* tom brady still sucks
         -- And is still a closeted gay.
* If we don't win our division, we're going to need a better record than 8-8 to get a shot at a "wildcard" spot
         -- In all likelihood, yes.
* our head coach Rex Ryan hasn't made it to the playoffs the last 3 years, and has been coach for going on 5 now, which is "bad"
         -- Yes.  But Rex Ryan isn't the only one who hasn't made the playoffs.  The team hasn't made it too.
* recently Ryan started sounding like "the old Ryan" (not sure what that means, but is apparently positive)
          -- Showing confidence in the team.  However, the "old Ryan" was overconfident.  This Ryan is being a little more vocal, but far from what he used to be.
* our first game this season is against the raiders, which we have a good shot at winning
          -- Yes.  We also hate the Raiders.  Mostly because of Al Davis.
* people are concerned we're going to go 1-6 into the season because our schedule is front loaded with hard teams, but we need to try to win 3 of them
         -- We need to try to win the all.  The schedule will be tough.
         -- The defense will be at worst solid.  We're not sure about the cornerback position, but our line should be great.
* Folk yeah
         -- Crazy as we all get, it's just a game.  Not to be taken that seriously.
         -- and the Giants.

See Red.

* pats suck
* tom brady sucks
* tom brady still sucks
* Folk yeah

in 24 hours we have built the perfect jets fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c

* pats suck
* tom brady sucks
* tom brady still sucks
* Folk yeah

Great start JetsBrother! Another side note, NY Jets training camp starts tomorrow, as players will report to SUNY Cortland in preparation for the season. If you creep around the forums in the upcoming weeks you will see many updates on what's going on at training camp and it can give you a good idea of how the team is performing. The Jets first pre-season game (1 of 4) is on Thursday August 7th vs the Indianapolis Colts at 7 PM. Be sure to tune in as watching the games and listening to the broadcasters can help you retain many things about the team. Good luck Jets brother ! Any questions just ask :)   

Been a Jet's fan for over twenty years, and I am from Portland, OR.  I've seen it all from the fake-spike to the butt fumble. 

I try to go at least once a year to see the Jets whenever they play on the west coast.  Main reasons for liking the Jets:

I love the uniforms and  hate EVERYTHING sports-related from Seattle.  A few things about being a Jets fan:

1.  People will laugh at you from time to time.  They will say things like, "butt fumble," and, "tebow."

You will just have to nod and laugh at the gods knowing it is true.

2.  This team makes decisions that make no sense.  The Jets will draft a defensive lineman

when they need a wide receiver.  The Jets sign a QB with no experience when they already have a starter.  Hire a

offensive coordinator that couldn't get a pee wee team to move the ball.  I know these decisions are based

on a protein injection every Jets employee takes when they are hired.

3.  The Jet's heirarchy makes for weird gambling.  In the NFL you need a good owner, a great GM and

a decent coach.  Well.  We have at least one of these.  So much for straight slot icons.

4.  Enjoy anything positive that happens with this team.  Whenever we get a pick, a TD or win a game.

Enjoy it!  These things don't happen very often.

5.  Make sure you watch what you say on (any) Jets fan board.  Trolls abound.  You start a topic that 

someone deems stupid and the topic soon becomes about your stupidity.

6.  Hate the Fins.  Hate the Pats.  Hate UW.  Just Kidding.

7.  Be proud.  It is a great team to root for.  The fans are as cool as any in the league. 

Archived