Jets Fan Crash Course?

jetsbrother

Hi all --

I am the brother of one of the biggest Jets fans on the planet, and our father passed away this weekend. They used to watch football all the time, and I've always been the black sheep of the family that doesn't watch football, despite being somewhat interested. I've just never made it a priority keeping up with the sport.

Anyway, I thought I'd try this season to really follow the sport and learn everything I can, if only to partially fill the hole left by our father. I figure anyone that regularly posts on this forum is well-equipped to educate a potentially new Jets fan on all of the inner workings of the team, and perhaps anything else a fan needs to know. Rivalries, recent history, new trades, important plays, etc. Seriously, treat me like a kid that only knows the basics of football, and is just learning about the Jets.

I'm probably asking for a lot, but I figure if you all dump what part of up-to-date Jets knowledge you have or have some good reading material I can plow through, I have a strong memory and can probably shovel it all in there over the next month so I can watch some games without being completely lost. 

Opinions matter too. Who is a bum? Who is great? Which players outside of the Jets do we hate?

Anyway, thanks in advance. 

JetsBrother

So sorry for your loss.  The others on this post have given a lot of good commentary on the Jets.  One thing I'd suggest though is to not act more confident in these opinions than your knowledge of the Jets would dictate.  In short, it's not fun to watch with someone who you can tell is essentially reading off a script.  Use this stuff as guidelines and just start watching the games to "make it your own".  For example, when we play Miami, know that it's a rivalry game and maybe listen to the announcers talk about any trash-talking or history between the teams.  That will help you get a better feel for things.  I think it's very cool that you're doing this for your brother, by the way. 

A couple more things:

The Jets definitely are known for having a losing history.  When the Jets lose a big game or in a heartbreaking fashion, you will likely hear and/or read the saying "same old Jets" (or "SOJ" for short). 

Another well-known comment about our futility is to pretend the Jets are an acronym for "Just End The Season". 

If a Bills fan ever says this to you, however, you can (and should) retort with "Bills" stands for "Boy I Love Losing Superbowls" (the Bills lost 4 straight Superbowls in the '90's and have never won one).

You're a good brother. Rooting for this franchise has been the bane of my existence since I was a child, but it's incredibly important to me because it's the longest running connection that I have with my father (that and The Who). So speaking as someone who has what your brother had, I completely can understand what has been lost, and condolences to him and yourself. It's not going to be an easy task filling the void, but I'm sure he will appreciate the effort and if you stay consistent I guarantee it will bring you two closer together..

My advice is to go to away games together. My dad and I do that a lot and it's always a fun weekend.

That and when he gets frustrated, agree and be frustrated too. Even if you're not sure what's going on, just act pissed. The one thing Jets fans, excepting a few, share is a universal mindset of being sick and tired of being sick and tired all the time. Every single year.

A couple more things:

The Jets definitely are known for having a losing history. When the Jets lose a big game or in a heartbreaking fashion, you will likely hear and/or read the saying "same old Jets" (or "SOJ" for short).

Another well-known comment about our futility is to pretend the Jets are an acronym for "Just End The Season".

If a Bills fan ever says this to you, however, you can (and should) retort with "Bills" stands for "Boy I Love Losing Superbowls" (the Bills lost 4 straight Superbowls in the '90's and have never won one).

Archived