WalterFootball - 2014 NFL Season Preview: (Feel the Hate Version)

BurnleyJet

they say Rivers and Big Ben. Luck is certainly on the cusp.

It's somewhat ironic that the Pats fans respond with the Jets fans mantra that Tom's weaponz weren't good enough. 

And maybe that's a good point. 

Still, everything comes to an end eventually, even the dominance of Tom Brady. 

Well they were pretty awful in dropping passes.  NE receivers (6.6% drop rate) were nearly 3x as likely to drop a pass as SD receivers (2.4% drop rate).  Hey, f*ck Brady, but that's not insignficant.  Forget about just the difference in completion percentage, but how many punts did that lead to instead of first downs? How many yards or TDs were erased, either on that play? How about on subsequent plays on that same drive (changing down, distance to a 1st, and distance to TD or FG range)? Probably kind of a lot.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom lumps them all together in his mind.  Woody hired Tannenbaum who hired Rex.  Tannenbaum was terrible so Woody fired Tannenbaum (finally) and hired Idzik.  In Tom's mind, Idzik kept Rex around not because Idzik thought Rex was an asset and deserved another year, but because of Woody. 

The owner, former GM, and current coach can't ALL be idiots.  SOMEONE has been responsible for at least delivering this team a respectable 42-38 record and 4 playoff victories over the course of the last 5 seasons despite so many clowns in the room in the Owner's box, the Front Office, and behind center. 

I think you stole this attack on Tom from me. Been saying that for quite a while now. Just sayin.

I don't think a 2-14 season is likely--at all--but if it occurs, it's hardly the worst thing in the world. No one is trading you into the top-3 to take one of the big QBs (assuming they're still "big QBs" after the draft process plays out). Going 7-9, 8-8 with Geno muddling through another year (enabling the 7-9) is nowheresville as a franchise. Seven years into a regime and still scuffling at QB? And you're going to give them year another highly-drafted rookie?

I also disagree that Idzik, Rex, and Mornhinweg is some type of package deal, as evidenced by the one-year deals Rex and Mornhinweg are working under. Both are readily expendable if Woody decides to be in Cabo in January.

In a 7-9 scenario, Idzik would be probably be justified and in position to fire the staff and start over with his own people in place.

In a 2-14 scenario? This would be such a collasal breakdown that the GM would have to be lumped into the blame. The players he drafted and/or signed would've really had to've sucked, too. The Jets haven't won fewer than six games in the last six years, and haven't had a disaster-type record like that since Kotite. Edwards and Mangini could only get as bad as 4-12. It would be hard -and probably wrong- to give Idzik free reign to bring in his own people after a season like that. I think it's just as likely that Woody would go back to the consulting firm.

I think all the people that like the suck for Luck philosophy (suckus for Marcus?) is that it will mean the team quit.  It is nice for the Ilk to have that to add to their indictment of Rex, but players that quit, quit.  We don't want a team full of quitters and neither will Darrell Bevell, Bill Cowher or whatever sh*thead we get next. 

I think all the people that like the suck for Luck philosophy (suckus for Marcus?) is that it will mean the team quit. It is nice for the Ilk to have that to add to their indictment of Rex, but players that quit, quit. We don't want a team full of quitters and neither will Darrell Bevell, Bill Cowher or whatever sh*thead we get next.

Atlanta and Houston weren't historically dreadful teams last season, but they won 4 and 2 games respectively. You have a couple of injuries, anything can happen. Chris Ivory and Milliner get hurt, the team could easily struggle to get to six wins.

Atlanta and Houston weren't historically dreadful teams last season, but they won 4 and 2 games respectively. You have a couple of injuries, anything can happen. Chris Ivory and Milliner get hurt, the team could easily struggle to get to six wins.

The guard situation worries the hell out of me. 

In a 7-9 scenario, Idzik would be probably be justified and in position to fire the staff and start over with his own people in place.

In a 2-14 scenario? This would be such a collasal breakdown that the GM would have to be lumped into the blame. The players he drafted and/or signed would've really had to've sucked, too. The Jets haven't won fewer than six games in the last six years, and haven't had a disaster-type record like that since Kotite. Edwards and Mangini could only get as bad as 4-12. It would be hard -and probably wrong- to give Idzik free reign to bring in his own people after a season like that. I think it's just as likely that Woody would go back to the consulting firm.

Idzik didn't hire either Rex or Mornhinweg. All he did was mete out a stay of execution with the expectation that this year improves on the last. Woody, as we know, is loath to fire anyone, much less his GM. If the team were to go 2-14, there'f be plenty enough people in the building to blame before it ever landed on Idzik's desk.

I like Winters still, but the OL could quietly kill this team, you're right. Do we even have a back-up left tackle?

If Aboushi is our starting guard opening day we're screwed. I dont know who our swing guy is either.

We will see how they bounce back.  The Colts did.  IMO most teams won't.  

I like Winters still, but the OL could quietly kill this team, you're right. Do we even have a back-up left tackle?

If Aboushi is our starting guard opening day we're screwed. I dont know who our swing guy is either.

I assume it is Ijalana.  Or Aboushi with Colon backing up G - as in in case of injury to a T Aboushi kicks out and Colon steps in at G.  I agree with the concern and this is not an optimal situation, but I do not see any reason to act like it is going to be worse than 2013.  They added Dozier and let Ducasse walk.  I probably was more kind to Ducasse than anybody here (except maybe Bit) and I don't see anything more scary than 2013. . 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

He's right about the schedule. It's the one big fat matzah ball in the room that about 3 people on the board seem to want to acknowledge. First half of the season is ******* brutal, and it's really hard to climb out of a hole as big as we could legit fall into.

Maybe so but schedule strength doesn't always match what's on paper. Doesn't make much sense to stress about it until the games start getting played.

SUCK IT TREBEK.

Archived