Chris Johnson cleared for full practice, “flying” during conditioning run

Larz

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/23/chris-johnson-cleared-for-full-practice-flying-during-conditioning-run/

Jets running back Chris Johnson didn’t do much during the spring while making his way back from knee surgery, but he said Wednesday that he’s ready to work.

Johnson said, via Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com, that Dr. James Andrews cleared him to make a full return to practice when the Jets hold their first session of training camp on Thursday. Johnson isn’t sure if the Jets will give him the green light to do everything right away, but it doesn’t look like the knee will hold him back from earning reps ahead of Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell.

Coach Rex Ryan said that Johnson was “flying” during the team’s conditioning run and that speed is the reason why the Jets signed him to join an offense that was devoid of playmakers last season.

Johnson wasn’t the only player to do well during the conditioning test as Ryan revealed that everyone on the team passed the test for the first time in his six years as the team’s head coach. That left him with an “incredible” feeling about this year’s team, something that probably doesn’t come as much of a surprise to those who have been listening to Ryan for the last week.

it's on !!!!!!

happy camp my brothers

Even the 2 vets that were placed on the PUP passed their physicals. Great to hear, honestly.

Where did you get that?  If Barnes, (placed on PUP for his knees) was able to pass the conditioning test, he may be further along in his recovery than the Jason Babin signing would indicate.  

Even the 2 vets that were placed on the PUP passed their physicals. Great to hear, honestly.

Where did you get that?  If Barnes, (placed on PUP for his knees) was able to pass the conditioning test, he may be further along in his recovery than the Jason Babin signing would indicate.  

I don't think they even took them.  I think the Jets put them on the PUP instead of letting them try.  Ryan said they were "trying to be smart with them.'

Brian Bassett, TheJetsBlog.com

While both Barnes and Colon were hopeful that they would be ready for the start of camp — and they might be very close — but just lack the conditioning right now to pass their tests.

Jets camp report: Reporting day
July, 23, 2014
JUL 23
8:40
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
CORTLAND, N.Y. -- A few hot topics from Wednesday at the New York Jets' training camp: 

• You can't have too many pass rushers: The Jets made a smart move, signing the well-traveled Jason Babin to a two-year contract -- assuming the money isn't ridiculous. Obviously, the 34-year-old Babin is on the downside of his career, but he led the Jacksonville Jaguars in two important categories last season -- sacks (7.5) and snaps among the defensive linemen (772). One of the Jets' goals this summer was to identify another edge rusher to add toCalvin PaceQuinton Coples, etc. If healthy, Antwan Barnes would be that guy, but he's not close to returning from last year's knee surgery. Rex Ryan, explaining the importance of pass-rushing depth, mentioned two recent Super Bowl champions, the Seattle Seahawksand New York Giants. Yep, it's a copycat league. That the Jaguars cut Babin three months after giving him a $500,000 signing bonus is a bit curious, but that's hardly a concern for the Jets. 

• CJ2K is back: The most important development of the day, though not surprising, wasChris Johnson's proclamation that he's been cleared by Dr. James Andrews to participate in training camp. He spent the last month training in Orlando and showed up Wednesday in terrific shape, "flying" in the conditioning run, according to Ryan. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Of all the new additions on offense, Johnson is the one with the potential to make the greatest impact. When healthy, he's one of the fastest running backs in the league, and the Jets need speed in the backfield. 

• Where have you gone, Joe McKnight?: Apparently, there are no McKnights on this season's roster. You might recall that McKnight started to play his way off the team last summer by flunking the mandatory conditioning run. This year, no one failed the test, according to Ryan. That, he said, never happened before in his head-coaching tenure. Presumably, this means the Jets reported to camp in tip-top shape. Barnes and guard Willie Colon (knee) passed the conditioning test, yet they still landed on the physically-unable-to-perform list. Don't worry about Colon; he's not that far away from being activated. Barnes? That could take some time. 

• The anti-Revis: Not that there was any doubt, but defensive end Muhammad Wilkersondid, in fact, report to camp, backing up previous statements in which he vowed not to stage a contract holdout. He said he never considered a holdout for a second, claiming he wouldn't be acting like a team leader if he pulled a no-show. Truth be told, he doesn't have much leverage to get a new contract, considering he's signed through 2015 and the daily fine would've been $30,000. But give him credit for taking the high road, trying to be a team player -- something Darrelle Revis never did in the past. Now we'll see if Wilkerson's anti-Revis approach has any sway with the powers-that-be.

Where did you get that? If Barnes, (placed on PUP for his knees) was able to pass the conditioning test, he may be further along in his recovery than the Jason Babin signing would indicate.

During Eric Allen's live report from training camp on nyjets.com at about 4:30.

I would be perfectly satisfied if he gave us what Leon Washington and LaDainian Tomlinson gave us, a dangerous change of pace guy.  If we get more than that, so much the better.

Good to see you again, Blackout.

This is what I'm looking for. I'd really like to see hm primarily used in a receiving capacity. Although, like LaDainian, I have a feeling he's gonna wind up getting most of the snaps at RB.

I;m loving that DLJ is back.  Welcome back.   :)

with women posting here again, are we going to have to have another sexual harassment seminar about what not to say to them. I'm sure you remember how well having the male sexual harassment class went. 

Archived