Rex: Geno Is Head & Shoulders Above Last Year

JetNation

it's the indian, not the arrow

For the most part yes, but my contention is that the Indian was essentially arrow-less.

Back in English, I don't think that weaponzzzz immediately makes Geno good, or even league average, I just think they'll make him suck less.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, Rex praising a player is useless. He'd say Steven hawkin improved his blocking if he played for the Jets.

And even if Geno was head and shoulders above last year he'd still suck.

Meh. It's useless for anyone to praise a player. He's either going to be useful or useless or somewhere in between. But none of it is going to be because of any coach's praise. It's just his way; his personality; but I don't put that much stock in it. 

I remember him giving Gholston some praise as well after a good practice or two.  Meanwhile behind the scenes he thought he sucked (Gholston afterwards whined that Ryan never gave him a fair shot), and Ryan only really played the guy when Pace was out for that month.  It's all just talk because that's his personality.  I'm not reading anything into it, though. If Smith is awful like last year, no matter what niceties from Ryan's mouth in July, he's going to be holding a clipboard (until Vick gets hurt).

Again, Rex praising a player is useless. He'd say Steven hawkin improved his blocking if he played for the Jets.

And even if Geno was head and shoulders above last year he'd still suck.

Agreed. I like when Rex is hard on some players. It happens rarely, I wish he beat them up a bit more. :)

All that said, Geno is going to be fine. 63% completions Over 20 TDs and 10 INTs this year. 3500 years. Heard it here first.

For the most part yes, but my contention is that the Indian was essentially arrow-less.

Back in English, I don't think that weaponzzzz immediately makes Geno good, or even league average, I just think they'll make him suck less.

we got daa weapnzzz!!! i wonder how long until excuses are being made that geno's being held back because jets lack a "true #1"

Agreed. I like when Rex is hard on some players. It happens rarely, I wish he beat them up a bit more. :)

All that said, Geno is going to be fine. 63% completions Over 20 TDs and 10 INTs this year. 3500 years. Heard it here first.

it would take about that long for geno to throw 20 tds

All the attention is on Geno and I understand that.  However, I wonder if this will benefit a guy who nobody has any expectations of, who I think has the ability to become a breakout player - Stephen Hill.  If Hill steps up this year then Geno will really be set w/ weapons at WR.  I know it's probably a longshot but I felt since day 1 that Hill would need at least 2 years to learn how the pros do things before he would have any chance to produce.  This is year 3 for Hill so let's see.  Again, I'm not making any predictions that he'll be a superstar (or even good enough to not be cut).  I'm just saying he has a ton of ability and is very far under the radar right now.

we got daa weapnzzz!!! i wonder how long until excuses are being made that geno's being held back because jets lack a "true #1"

Some may say that... But you won't hear it from me. Don't need great WRs, but we do need more than we had last year. No one outside of maybe the top 5 QBs were running a productive offense with that unit.

All the attention is on Geno and I understand that.  However, I wonder if this will benefit a guy who nobody has any expectations of, who I think has the ability to become a breakout player - Stephen Hill.  If Hill steps up this year then Geno will really be set w/ weapons at WR.  I know it's probably a longshot but I felt since day 1 that Hill would need at least 2 years to learn how the pros do things before he would have any chance to produce.  This is year 3 for Hill so let's see.  Again, I'm not making any predictions that he'll be a superstar (or even good enough to not be cut).  I'm just saying he has a ton of ability and is very far under the radar right now.

Here is what I like about the Idzik did. He set out to replace Hill, but didn't write him off completely. He didn't bring in vets that will be one yeat stop gaps. He got some kids that will compete with Hill.  May the best man win.

that would be a shock of epic proportions

Yea i don't think Stephen Hill is that guy. Good thing we got Decker. 

Seriously you are making the future case against what people might say about Geno?

Wow.

I am going to just sit back and root for the kid.  Call me old fashioned.  

Some may say that... But you won't hear it from me. Don't need great WRs, but we do need more than we had last year. No one outside of maybe the top 5 QBs were running a productive offense with that unit.

it was a steaming pile can't argue with that. maybe i am being too hard on geno, and i certainly have zero qualifications to make this statement, but he just didn't have the look to me last year. it could just be inexperience, but he could also be a dumb dumb. schein does make a good point in the article that it could be that many people are comparing him to the luck/rgIII/wilson triumverate of outstanding rookie seasons, which was an abberation, and thus writing him off because of it.

Seriously you are making the future case against what people might say about Geno?

Wow.

it was meant to be funny but now that you called me out on it and i thought about it some more, you know what, i am serious about it now ;)

it was meant to be funny but now that you called me out on it and i thought about it some more, you know what, i am serious about it now ;)

Oh, if you meant that to be funny that actually explains a lot.

No further questions your honor.

it was a steaming pile can't argue with that. maybe i am being too hard on geno, and i certainly have zero qualifications to make this statement, but he just didn't have the look to me last year. it could just be inexperience, but he could also be a dumb dumb. schein does make a good point in the article that it could be that many people are comparing him to the luck/rgIII/wilson triumverate of outstanding rookie seasons, which was an abberation, and thus writing him off because of it.

It's possible he's a moron. But I think there's also the likelihood that he came from the one-read spread offense and asked to know the WCO from day one. Hell, he had to learn to take snaps under center too. None of this guarantees success or even improvement, but it's reason enough to be cautiously optimistic.

I think the RGIII/luck/Wilson comparisons make sense too, but the bigger one is the Sanchez comparison. Jet fans just spent 5 years watching a QB not improve even a little from day 1. I don't blame them for not thinking improvement is a thing.

it was a steaming pile can't argue with that. maybe i am being too hard on geno, and i certainly have zero qualifications to make this statement, but he just didn't have the look to me last year. it could just be inexperience, but he could also be a dumb dumb. schein does make a good point in the article that it could be that many people are comparing him to the luck/rgIII/wilson triumverate of outstanding rookie seasons, which was an abberation, and thus writing him off because of it.

I agree with that being a mistake, comparing him to Wilson in year one.  I think the kid showed a lot. I liked how at the end of the year he knew when to scramble and take the easy yards.

If Geno didn't improve he will still improve just by having Decker and Johnson. I think he is going to improve and the weapons will make the improvement greater.

Wow.

I think Geno has a shot, but if he don't step up this year that shot may be gone. Jets haven't had a solid QB in a long time. I'd say were overdue for someone to hold down that position. 

Having Vick could a be a big plus as well... If used properly.

It's possible he's a moron. But I think there's also the likelihood that he came from the one-read spread offense and asked to know the WCO from day one. Hell, he had to learn to take snaps under center too. None of this guarantees success or even improvement, but it's reason enough to be cautiously optimistic.

I think the RGIII/luck/Wilson comparisons make sense too, but the bigger one is the Sanchez comparison. Jet fans just spent 5 years watching a QB not improve even a little from day 1. I don't blame them for not thinking improvement is a thing.

Unfortunately Sanchez actually got worse. TD \ INT:

Year One:  12 \ 20

Year Two:  17 \ 13

Year Three:  26 \ 18

Year Four:  13 \ 18

Year Five: 0 \ 0

I think there was reason to be excited about Mark going into his 4th year. He came out of college young and inexperienced. He had a gradual progression and year four was where it needed to all come together.

It didn't.

But him getting worse in year four is an even bigger shock to me. If he had just stayed the same he could have been in the league for 10 years or so. Now? Good luck finding employment next year, unless he can make a career out of being a backup.

never thought about it that way but you are right. sanchez never improved. not even sure how that is possible to not even get a little better coming from college and only starting a handful of games to starting 60+ games in the NFL.

I agree with that being a mistake, comparing him to Wilson in year one.  I think the kid showed a lot. I liked how at the end of the year he knew when to scramble and take the easy yards.

If Geno didn't improve he will still improve just by having Decker and Johnson. I think he is going to improve and the weapons will make the improvement greater.

i think geno will improve. he just has a long way to go to even enter the "qbs that aren't likely to take the team on his back but won't hurt you either" category.

never thought about it that way but you are right. sanchez never improved. not even sure how that is possible to not even get a little better coming from college and only starting a handful of games to starting 60+ games in the NFL.

i think geno will improve. he just has a long way to go to even enter the "qbs that aren't likely to take the team on his back but won't hurt you either" category.

My hope is he can get to that point this year. I don't expect him to win games consistently by himself right now.

But if we can cut down on the interceptions and become a 23 TD \ 14 INT kind of guy this year, IMO he goes into the category of not hurting the team. It is a big step from where he was last year, but I really believe he can get there. This year.

What happens to him beyond that? Who knows but for right now I will be happy seeing a QB that doesn't suck and we can figure out the upside beyond that later.  :)

I think he is going to make it as the 3rd QB. But everytime you want to write Matt Simms off he does something to save himself.

Maybe, according to Rex, Simms is good for #3 spot. Sounds like they'll throw this kid in just for kicks.... 

"We can afford to be patient with Tajh,” Ryan said. “We have two guys [in Smith and Vick] we feel really good about. And really, Matt Simms is a guy who was our number two quarterback last year. We will bring [Tajh] along but at the end we will see what he can do. I think the fans will be excited to see this young man play, along with everybody.” - http://foxs.pt/1pl5HCi

Maybe, according to Rex, Simms is good for #3 spot. Sounds like they'll throw this kid in just for kicks.... 

"We can afford to be patient with Tajh,” Ryan said. “We have two guys [in Smith and Vick] we feel really good about. And really, Matt Simms is a guy who was our number two quarterback last year. We will bring [Tajh] along but at the end we will see what he can do. I think the fans will be excited to see this young man play, along with everybody.” - http://foxs.pt/1pl5HCi

Not sure Boyd would make it to the practice squad. So if they believe in Boyd they will have to make him the # 3.  It will be interesting.

Not sure Boyd would make it to the practice squad. So if they believe in Boyd they will have to make him the # 3.  It will be interesting.

I personally like new talent but football is one of those sports where circumstance and situation can mean everything. Not every back up has a Aaron Rodgers ending. Whatever the case it's Geno's spot to lose right now. 

Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of Simms. More of some not-negative words just so it's not talked about like a sure thing (yet). He said they have 2 guys they feel really good about and Simms is not one of them. As in, they (not just Ryan) do not feel really good about Simms or he'd have said they have 3 guys they feel really good about.

Simms will be the #3 if Boyd is totally lost or if he takes a major leap forward. But from the sound of it, Ryan, Mornhinweg, and Lee have all moved on from Simms unless Boyd is noticeably so much worse by September. He has a strong arm of questionable accuracy, a famous daddy, and a year of experience with the playbook.

It would be awesome if he blew Smith & Vick out of the water, but it's not going to happen. He was fighting for the #3 job last year and is fighting for the #3 job this year.

I personally like new talent but football is one of those sports where circumstance and situation can mean everything. Not every back up has a Aaron Rodgers ending. Whatever the case it's Geno's spot to lose right now. 

I am not replying to your post; instead I am replying to the brilliance of your username.  Well done.

Geno certainly sucked at times last year but in all fairness to the kid he was throwing to the worst wr's in the NFL.    

Yes, he struggled as a rookie but when Andrew Luck was a rookie he was throwing to Reggie Wayne not some combination of Greg Salas, David Nelson, Stephen Hill, and Clyde Gates.   

someone posted last year that geno was a pot head, and he heard it from some sort of source. 

obviously this is not proof of anything.

but as last year played out, I just couldn't help think he looked like a pot head.  I was a pot head for 15 years.  he had that sort of "can't wait to get this over so I can go back to my car and hit the dug-out" look on his face

just sort of a blank stare like there's someone in my head but it's not me

Archived