Training Camp Updates day 3 (first full pads practice)

Lupz27

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's shown more then Geno and yet people want him gone while proclaiming Geno as the Jets franchise qb.

Not sure what games you've been watching.. but you're wrong. I am not sold on Geno, but I will say this.. he has thrown some nice and shown he can scramble too. Gates has shown that he can catch about three balls, and then fall down immediately without contact. Gates is 28. He has had more than enough time to show if he has it or not. He doesn't.

It's so very popular to use Clyde Gates as a punch line nowadays. But reality and history paint a different picture. The kid is immensely athletic and very fast, but has always been raw and has had some inconsistent games. Prior to injury, he was becoming a real threat on a team that had absolutely no threats. He was on the rise. Now he's back from injury and flashing again. And the good ol jets fans snicker and point. Clyde gates will be the breakout player this year. He will. If healthy, he's going to surprise the shit out of people.

He is a track star. He isn't a football player. He has no shot of making this team. Much like David Clowney, if he wanted to stay in the league he should have spent an offseason tackling people so he could have been a gunner on special teams.

Sooooooo are we concerned that our hard-hitting safety got his first NFL concussion approximately ten minutes after putting his NFL pads on?

If he had a concussion that would be a cause for concern. But it sounds like this is NOT what happened.  Conspiracy theories aside.

To be honest I'd rather see Geno play well than Milliner. But I see what you're saying and I wish both could play as expected of them. 

I would rather Geno play well too. QB is far more important. I meant that Milliner concerns me more. I think Geno will play better than last year, and get close to his peak (which isn't elite). I think Geno is a safe bet, while Milliner may be a worrisome one.

Seems you are taking flak for the comment, but I totally agree with you. He is in noticeably better shape this year.

You take flak for not having a gawker.com opinion around these parts. You roll with the punches.

It's so very popular to use Clyde Gates as a punch line nowadays. But reality and history paint a different picture. The kid is immensely athletic and very fast, but has always been raw and has had some inconsistent games. Prior to injury, he was becoming a real threat on a team that had absolutely no threats. He was on the rise. Now he's back from injury and flashing again. And the good ol jets fans snicker and point. Clyde gates will be the breakout player this year. He will. If healthy, he's going to surprise the sh*t out of people.

A real threat? Lulza

Still want to punch him for that TD drop in Foxborough last year. That was the game.

Oh well, I was wrong.  I was banking on you being wrong but a concussion it is.

This sucks....

Why so troubled by this?  A torn rotator-cuff, achilles or ACL is cause for concern, not a concussion on a fluky kickoff drill.  This is a guy who's played physical his entire career and has been relatively fine.  As much as T0m would like to convince you otherwise, Pyror wasn't tackling the stay-puft marshmallow man throughout his tenure at Louisville. Despite common perception, sustaining one concussion does not predispose you to sustaining another. I think it'd be more troubling if he were a finesse player and not someone who's been relatively healthy playing a hard-nosed style of football.

Why so troubled by this?  A torn rotator-cuff, achilles or ACL is cause for concern, not a concussion on a fluky kickoff drill.  This is a guy who's played physical his entire career and has been relatively fine.  As much as T0m would like to convince you otherwise, Pyror wasn't tackling the stay-puft marshmallow man throughout his tenure at Louisville. Despite common perception, sustaining one concussion does not predispose you to sustaining another. I think it'd be more troubling if he were a finesse player and not someone who's been relatively healthy playing a hard-nosed style of football.

Good points.

I was glad to read that he never got them before. I just hope it turns out to be a fluke thing.

Good points.

I was glad to read that he never got them before. I just hope it turns out to be a fluke thing.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly not encouraging that he suffered a concussion, but since it hasn't been shown that one concussion puts you at a greater risk to suffer another, I don't think we need to start expecting him to be the next Austin Collie just yet.  Obviously we'd rather him have zero to this point, but I think the fact that he's played this style of football his whole career without recording one prior to this event, is probably a good sign that this was more flukey than a result of his aggressive style. 

Yeah, you guys saw right through me. I was hoping Calvin Pryor's head fell off of his body because I hate the Jets so much.

Lol

"If the Jets draft defense it the first round, I'm gonna..."

Fk'n Killjoy!

tom, you have put yourself in the position that when bad things happen to the jets, it's good for you, and when good things happen to the jets it's bad for you

that's on you

That's in your paranoid little mind, my friend. I'm the #1 Jets fan in the world.

That's in your paranoid little mind, my friend. I'm the #1 Jets fan in the world.

no

you have a really bad case of battered jets fan syndrome, so you troll the jets as hard as possible, to protect yourself from other people beating you to it or from allowing yourself to be optimistic so they don't pull the rug out from under you again

I decided during the '09 season I was done with that

because one day, they will do it, and those of you that are watching through your fingers will regret not enjoying the ride

warts and all

no

you have a really bad case of battered jets fan syndrome, so you troll the jets as hard as possible, to protect yourself from other people beating you to it or from allowing yourself to be optimistic so they don't pull the rug out from under you again

because one day, they will do it, and those of you that are watching through your fingers will regret not enjoying the ride

warts and all

I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it.

no

warts and all

I am not commenting on Tom, I can't speak for him.

But I agree with the last part of what you wrote. I still root for this team like I did when I was a teenager. Yeah they let you down. But someday they will get it right. And that is what being a fan is all about to me. 

I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it.

What a terrible analogy. We all know you would never get to the bulls ass the second you saw his balls, lol.

Archived