The most surprising player to make the team... Who ya got?

BroadwayJets

Based on last year's performance, I really hope it is not this man.

Based on this camp's performance, I believe it will be this man. 

Hold your breath.... Clyde Gates.

In the beginning of this offseason I thought there would not be a chance that he'll make it, but he's been burning Dee left and right. Maybe Clyde's showing all that potential he has, and putting it to use on the field. Hey, if he can play, I'll take em.

Who ya got?

Based on last year's performance, I really hope it is not this man.

Based on this camp's performance, I believe it will be this man. 

Hold your breath.... Clyde Gates.

In the beginning of this offseason I thought there would not be a chance that he'll make it, but he's been burning Dee left and right. Maybe Clyde's showing all that potential he has, and putting it to use on the field. Hey, if he can play, I'll take em.

Who ya got?

The only locks at WR are Decker, Kerley, Saunders and Nelson....so I guess it's possible. I think Salas is a better player than Gates though.

That dbag DolFan that asked me if he could be the Jets starting QB in the (Geno top 5 thread) cause he thinks HE can be top 5...

I dunno, but I believe em, boyItellya, kids got moxy.

he's riding the bike and a week behind already

This came out 1 hour ago. Go down to #10

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/07/12_observations_from_day_5_of_jets_camp_as_things_start_to_get_feisty.html

CORTLAND, N.Y. – On Monday, the Jets will be off from practice for the first time since beginning training camp Thursday. Five days and four practices into camp, there have been some highs and lows. Sunday underscored that.

There is still plenty of time before things get serious with this season – after all, Sunday was just the Jets’ second practice in full pads – but the storylines with this team are beginning to take shape.

So is the drama – or whatever passes for drama in training camp. Sunday was the Jets’ most contentious and energetic practice to date. Again, it was just their second practice in full pads, so things are about to get hot, heavy and fun in the days to come.

The Jets are back on the practice field Tuesday, their first of four straight practices before Saturday’s Green and White scrimmage.

Here now, some observations – not related to Calvin PryorJace Amaro or Willie Colon – from the final practice of this first chunk of training camp.

1. It was a sloppy day, particularly on the offensive side. The quarterbacks themselves weren’t all that bad. Dom Cosentino has your daily quarterback update at this very link. But Geno Smith and Michael Vick were under pressure a few times, forced to scramble. And Smith was victimized by three drops.

Receivers dropping passes wasn’t a problem Saturday, as it was in the first two practices. But on Sunday, drops became an issue again. Stephen Hill, David Nelson, Jeremy Kerley and Shaq Evans all dropped one pass each.

2. Stephen Hill had mixed results. OK, maybe it’s not fair to single out Hill on a day when other receivers were sloppy, too, including Nelson, the man who is competing with Hill for the No. 2 receiver job. But this is a big year for Hill, a second-round pick in 2012, to show he was worthy of being drafted there.

Hill was hampered by injuries in his first two years, but that is no longer the case. Again, Sunday was just one day of practice, but it started poorly for Hill. On the first snap of team periods, Smith rolled right and threw a perfect pass to Hill, who dropped it.

Later in practice, Hill showed off his speed and size by shedding cornerback Dimitri Patterson to catch a deep ball, though it was hard to tell if Hill got both feet inbounds. Hill almost dropped another pass – a Tajh Boyd throw that he bobbled along the sideline before securing it. Fans cheered when he did. They know how important he can be.

3. David Nelson was fired up. Nelson angrily spiked the ball in the end zone after failing to get both feet inbounds on a nice lob from Smith that Nelson secured with one hand. Later, Smith and Patterson had to be separated after they came to blows and jawed at each other. But by training camp fight standards, it wasn’t anything special.

4. Other players looked feisty, too. The Jets concluded practice by putting their backups in a team period that involved tackling to the ground – something they rarely do in camp. This was the first time in camp that the Jets had tackled to the ground.

On what wound up being the final play of practice, rookie linebacker Jeremiah George shoved rookie quarterback Tajh Boyd as he was going out of bounds. Linebacker Troy Davis ran over to George immediately and admonished him, with salty language, to not hit the quarterback. George cursed back at Davis. And so ended practice, on a fittingly flawed note.

Jets coach Rex Ryan was not pleased to see George’s hit. Ryan made this clear to his players when he addressed them after practice. He mentioned George’s play in particular.

“A few guys are a little overzealous,” Ryan told reporters. “We have to protect each other. We don’t have 105 guys or whatever it is in college, so we have to take care of each other, and for us to be at our best we have to be healthy. You don’t ever take advantage of a player that is vulnerable. If you have a guy in a bad position, you hold him up. You don’t throw him down, you don’t throw him over a pile, and you don’t hit a quarterback. We don’t hit our quarterbacks, period. That’s why they’re in the red jersey. Especially, a situation like that (where the) guy’s running. You’ve got to be smart.” 

5. Tajh Boyd had a rough practice. Besides the shove, the sixth-round pick (and hand-picked choice of Ryan) looked sloppy. In a 9-on-7 drill, he attempted to hand off to the right side when everybody else went left. He clearly got the play wrong. Then backup safety Josh Bush picked him off during a 7-on-7 drill.

To his credit, Boyd seems like an eternally upbeat young man. After practice, he stopped, unprompted, to shake hands and chat with reporters. He is, by all accounts, a solid guy. And he put up prolific numbers in college. But he is still fighting for a roster spot, with Matt Simms. If Boyd can combine his mature demeanor with steadier play, he’ll be fine. That is easier said than done in the NFL, as he is learning.

6. Mike Vick cracked wise. Vick walked off the practice field alongside rookie linebacker Trevor Reilly, who carried three sets of teammates’ pads – part of the duties for a rookie. Vick grinned from ear to ear as he strolled past reporters. He said, to nobody in particular, “You know who the rookie is, know who the veteran is.”

7. Zach Sudfeld looked good. Even before Amaro left with a knee injury, Sudfeld was having a nice day. In a 9-on-7 drill, he blocked Demario Davis, opening a lane for Bilal Powell. Then Sudfeld caught a touchdown pass from Vick in a red-zone team period. Vick later hit Sudfeld for a completion along the sideline.

Sudfeld is a big target (6-7 and 260 pounds), but he probably won’t have a big role this season on offense, with Jeff Cumberland and Amaro being the primary tight ends. Last season, as a rookie, Sudfeld made five catches for 63 yards. But he stood out Sunday.

8. Chris Johnson was back. Johnson sat out team periods in Saturday’s practice, after practicing fully the first two days. Johnson’s surgically repaired knee gets another rest day Monday. He looked sharp in team periods Sunday, as he has throughout camp. The Jets likely will give him another rest day this week. If they want to keep him on the two on, one off schedule, that would mean he will rest Thursday.

9. Jason Babin is trying to catch up. Babin, the Jets’ newly acquired pass rusher, spent some time huddling with assistant linebackers and defensive line coach Jeff Weekes on the sideline. They appeared to be going over plays on a sheet. The Jets acquired Babin on Day 1 of training camp, as they are uncertain about Antwan Barnes’ recovery from a knee injury. Babin jumped offside on one play Sunday. He is not an expert yet, by any means, in the Jets’ defense. But that is to be expected. It’s a process, and part of that involves communicating with his coaches, as Babin did with Weekes on Sunday.

10. Remember the name, if you can. OK, so maybe you don’t have to commit IK Enemkpali to memory just yet. But the rookie linebacker had a solid day Sunday against fellow backups. He beat tight end Chris Pantale off the edge and swatted a Matt Simms throw. A few minutes later, Enemkpali got into the backfield and popped Daryl Richardson after he took a handoff. We’re talking about a sixth-round pick in his first training camp, so let’s not get carried away. But credit to Enemkpali for his good day.

11. Dakota Dozier got yelled at. The rookie offensive guard (a fourth-round pick) was impressive Saturday. And then on Sunday, he was loudly admonished by offensive line coach Mike Devlin for messing up an assignment. Such is the life of an NFL rookie – strong one day, sloppy the next. The conclusion: be wary of drawing too many conclusions when off one potentially eye-widening practice from Enemkpali.

12. Injury update. Rookie wide receiver Quincy Enunwa (hip) remains sidelined. He hasn’t practiced since getting hurt in position drills during the first practice. Also out: Barnes, linebacker Tim Fugger (ankle) and defensive lineman Zach Thompson (shoulder). Ryan said backup running back Alex Green got hit in the chest Sunday, but is good to go for the Jets’ next practice, on Tuesday.

This came out 1 hour ago. Go down to #10

. The conclusion: be wary of drawing too many conclusions when off one potentially eye-widening practice from Enemkpali.

12. Injury update. Rookie wide receiver Quincy Enunwa (hip) remains sidelined. He hasn’t practiced since getting hurt in position drills during the first practice.

I confused IK with enunwa

would still be a shock imho if he makes the final 53 and isn't on the PS

I confused IK with enunwa

would still be a shock imho if he makes the final 53 and isn't on the PS

hope all of our rookies who may not make the cut atleast stay on the practice squad. Every rookie we drafted has sort of a unique quality about them, and I've always associated such qualities with overall good teams. Ive said it hundreds of times but I think that Idzik will go down as the best think to happen to this franchise since the merger and the guarantee. I also think that he's going to do it with Rex as the HC and Marty running the offense.

• 2 weeks later...

Easy. Ik Enemkpali

that wouldn't be a surprise, that would be a jaw dropping shock

Ik Enemkpali got a strip sack fumble to cause a turnover and end the game. Kid looked good in limited action. Also contributed on special teams. Check out his hand skills. Violent hands. That rush around the edge was beautiful. 

Archived