The Revis Narrative in New England

Integrity28

I'll be the first to admit the "The Patriot Way" is absolute bullsh*t. It was just a brand building feel good thing that came out of the Patriot Dynasty after 9/11 when everyone was all "Murika $^#@ yeah."

That said, call me naive, but I think Revis is going to be here for awhile. Winners like to play for winners, people like to play for Belichick, and people like Revis like to be used correctly.

If a team like Seattle (not happening) offered Revis more money to go there, I'm sure he would, but I don't think he's going to take the biggest contract he can to vanish from the world of winning in some back water team known for complete irrelevance.

If the Patriots defense stays healthy this year, Revis is probably going to have more fun than any other season that he's played in the NFL, especially after week 5 when Browner joins the secondary.

Jets fans call Patriot fans naive, but I think they're also guilty of over stating Revis mercenary mentality. He's only played for three teams. One of them he hasn't taken the field for yet, one of them he just took a one year pay day from, and one of them drafted him into the NFL. I just don't think the evidence is there yet and a lot of it is invented.

The Jets front office was Jerry Jones bad and you had mutiny taking place in your locker room. I don't think you can fairly put all the blame on Revis for wanting to be paid to stay in a place like that. Very few people give hometown discounts to dysfunctional families.... if they're smart anyway.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be the first to admit the "The Patriot Way" is absolute bullsh*t. It was just a brand building feel good thing that came out of the Patriot Dynasty after 9/11 when everyone was all "Murika $^#@ yeah."

That said, call me naive, but I think Revis is going to be here for awhile. Winners like to play for winners, people like to play for Belichick, and people like Revis like to be used correctly.

If a team like Seattle (not happening) offered Revis more money to go there, I'm sure he would, but I don't think he's going to take the biggest contract he can to vanish from the world of winning in some back water team known for complete irrelevance.

If the Patriots defense stays healthy this year, Revis is probably going to have more fun than any other season that he's played in the NFL, especially after week 5 when Browner joins the secondary.

Jets fans call Patriot fans naive, but I think they're also guilty of over stating Revis mercenary mentality. He's only played for three teams. One of them he hasn't taken the field for yet, one of them he just took a one year pay day from, and one of them drafted him into the NFL. I just don't think the evidence is there yet and a lot of it is invented.

The Jets front office was Jerry Jones bad and you had mutiny taking place in your locker room. I don't think you can fairly put all the blame on Revis for wanting to be paid to stay in a place like that. Very few people give hometown discounts to dysfunctional families.... if they're smart anyway.

I don't doubt that Revis might be very interested in sticking with the Pats next year. But the point is it will mean either paying him the 20M his contract calls for (yeah right) or giving him a competitive bid. There's absolutely no evidence to suggest he will accept any real discount to play for a particular team.

Even if we simply concede to your points about the Jets locker room issues, they still carry no weight in this discussion. Revis held out during the camps of 2007 and 2010, neither of which there were any issues at the time and both following playoff appearances. There's no reason to believe the status of the overall team had any impact on those decisions of his.

Now granted, he could end up staying with the Pats for a while. They'll have to pay to make it happen though. If Revis felt differently, he wouldn't have had his contract designed like it is.

I don't doubt that Revis might be very interested in sticking with the Pats next year. But the point is it will mean either paying him the 20M his contract calls for (yeah right) or giving him a competitive bid. There's absolutely no evidence to suggest he will accept any real discount to play for a particular team.

Even if we simply concede to your points about the Jets locker room issues, they still carry no weight in this discussion. Revis held out during the camps of 2007 and 2010, neither of which there were any issues at the time and both following playoff appearances. There's no reason to believe the status of the overall team had any impact on those decisions of his.

Now granted, he could end up staying with the Pats for a while. They'll have to pay to make it happen though. If Revis felt differently, he wouldn't have had his contract designed like it is.

Maybe, but the 20 million might have been by design simply to project himself if he didn't like it here. He was coming into a situation and organization he wasn't familiar with. If he arrived and hated it here, and how it operated, he has the benefit of knowing that the Patriots are either going to have to pay him ludicrous money to keep him, or cut him loose to seek employment elsewhere. It also leaves him free to renegotiate if he does like it here for something more reasonable.

I suspect this is all just wishful thinking on both our parts, but I suspect Revis will be starting for New England in 2015 for about 15M a year. I can easily see a contract that carries him through the 2016 season for 30M or 32M that covers 2015 and 2015.

One thing to keep in mind, going back to the 2007 hold out, is Revis hadn't made his big money back then yet. I think it's understandable in that situation to say "Look, I'm the best player in the NFL at my position, I'm making rookie contract money, and I'm always one play away from my career being over."

If you're that good in the NFL, you don't want to get your career brought to an end by an injury and than have to work a 9 to 5 to support yourself for the rest of your life.

Now Revis has made, so I understand, almost 100 million dollars in his career? 88 million I think is the number that I've heard.

At that point you can be a little more flexible in your contracts for the sake of potentially winning Superbowls.

How self-loathing are you? Bob Griese is a deserving HoF'er and Namath isn't? Griese was the ultimate game manager. The most yards he ever threw for in a season was 2400, Namath only threw less than that in a full season once. Namath was a superstar, Griese was Czonka and Kiick's sidekick.

And Marino and Kelly never won squat, so there's that.

Give me a frigging break self loathing Slats-like that kind of crap actually means ANYTHING in my life dude-get real, this stuff is starting to get to you

Maybe, but the 20 million might have been by design simply to project himself if he didn't like it here. He was coming into a situation and organization he wasn't familiar with. If he arrived and hated it here, and how it operated, he has the benefit of knowing that the Patriots are either going to have to pay him ludicrous money to keep him, or cut him loose to seek employment elsewhere. It also leaves him free to renegotiate if he does like it here for something more reasonable.

I suspect this is all just wishful thinking on both our parts, but I suspect Revis will be starting for New England in 2015 for about 15M a year. I can easily see a contract that carries him through the 2016 season for 30M or 32M that covers 2015 and 2015.

One thing to keep in mind, going back to the 2007 hold out, is Revis hadn't made his big money back then yet. I think it's understandable in that situation to say "Look, I'm the best player in the NFL at my position, I'm making rookie contract money, and I'm always one play away from my career being over."

If you're that good in the NFL, you don't want to get your career brought to an end by an injury and than have to work a 9 to 5 to support yourself for the rest of your life.

Now Revis has made, so I understand, almost 100 million dollars in his career? 88 million I think is the number that I've heard.

At that point you can be a little more flexible in your contracts for the sake of potentially winning Superbowls.

Regarding the bold, I would probably be more surprised by the Patriots' willingness to offer such a contract than for Revis to accept it.  If they were willing to put that much money on the table, then I agree there's a very good chance Revis stays with them.  While granted, this current contract of his is technically worth $32M over 2 years, I think we can both agree that's not what the contract is in reality, which is really 1 year / $12M.  If they put together an offer of a legit contract in the range you described, that could keep him around.

Give me a frigging break self loathing Slats-like that kind of crap actually means ANYTHING in my life dude-get real, this stuff is starting to get to you

I meant as in self-loathing Jet fan. Giving props to a stiff like Griese while dissing Namath? Blasphemy.

Gotta agree with him, Jimmy, there's such a thing as being too self-deprecating.  Namath's stats don't mean squat because the game was played a different style back then, passes to backs weren't so common, it was mostly 15 yarders to WR's.  Namath put up yards per season not previously seen, and perfected the art of throwing while still backpedaling. Marino's throwing motion was a half-assed copy of Namath's, and it was good enough to make him a superstar.  Griese was a game manager and Marino was basically Namath's student technique-wise, (they both come from the same area in PA).

Slats and KW-Did you guys ever LOOK at Namath's stats? Do you know how many times he completed over 50% of his passes? 4. And 7 seasons he didn't, Had it not been for that Super Bowl Joe Namath would not even be IN the HofF. He threw 170 TDs and 220 INTS!!!! That's pretty bad isn't it guys?

And he was my HERO growing up after Mickey Mantle retired.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NamaJo00.htm

All I was saying was we Jets fans are DUE to have a great QB. Who knows maybe Geno will be the guy. I always wished we would have traded the 9th and 16th pick to get down and taken Steve McNair that year.

Slats and KW-Did you guys ever LOOK at Namath's stats? Do you know how many times he completed over 50% of his passes? 4. And 7 seasons he didn't, Had it not been for that Super Bowl Joe Namath would not even be IN the HofF. He threw 170 TDs and 220 INTS!!!! That's pretty bad isn't it guys?

All I was saying was we Jets fans are DUE to have a great QB. Who knows maybe Geno will be the guy. I always wished we would have traded the 9th and 16th pick to get down and taken Steve McNair that year.

You basically said Griese deserved to be in the HoF, but Namath didn't. That's what caught my attention. I'm aware of the stats, and I also know no one slung it downfield like Namath did. Griese's best season was barely more productive than Namath's worst. The first QB to ever throw for 4000 yards (and still the only Jet to ever accomplish such a feat).

You basically said Griese deserved to be in the HoF, but Namath didn't. That's what caught my attention. I'm aware of the stats, and I also know no one slung it downfield like Namath did. Griese's best season was barely more productive than Namath's worst. The first QB to ever throw for 4000 yards (and still the only Jet to ever accomplish such a feat).

Whether you liked him or not, he is in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame (1990). Leave him off the list and I still say the Jets are due to get a REAL QB in the draft like our rivals have

this is simple really.  revis is a mercenary, and the past* are desperate to win a title before brady falls apart, so they paid the highest price.  they all made nice talk about winning and yadda yadda yadda

he played for the ******* jets and bucs people, he aint about winning, lol

I say next year ge goes to the NFC west

I would recommend you read mark kreigels biography about joe.  Sonny werblin wanted a star.  like elvis.  elvis doesn't make the safe throw.  elvis goes deep

you add that to playing while he was still drunk from the night before, and you get bad stats

the irony is he was a safe and smart QB at alabama, frequently calling 6 pass plays a game if the running game was working.  (He called the plays at bama)

but the AFL needed stars, and stars go deep

there were also accusations of throwing games for his bookie friends, and hoover had a file on him.  nothing was ever proven, but when you own a bar with bookie friends, and throw 6 INT's in one game, people wonder

all of that adds up to bad stats

shula said he was one of the passers he ever saw, and bryant said he was the best athlete he ever coached

damned knee injuries

Exactly Joe is very overrated. He threw for tons of int's. I don't care how he "slung" it downfield lol. Slinging it doesn't get you in the HOF. He got lucky and the drunk has been riding that wave ever since.

this is simple really.  revis is a mercenary, and the past* are desperate to win a title before brady falls apart, so they paid the highest price.  they all made nice talk about winning and yadda yadda yadda

he played for the ******* jets and bucs people, he aint about winning, lol

I say next year ge goes to the NFC west

Kind of funny how the "past" keep kicking our ass and winning the division and making SB runs every year. All the while we struggle to get above 500. Seems like the present and future to me because they are loaded and have another 3-4 great years in them imo. By that time Geno will be making me a sandwhich.

can we ban this troll already ?

Just because I don't suck Rex Cock and I'm not a homer like you doesn't mean I'm a troll. 

I'm curious? How do suck Rex's dick and type at the same time? I mean he's trying to get his dick sucked and your always online typing on the forum during work hours. 

Just because I don't suck Rex Cock and I'm not a homer like you doesn't mean I'm a troll. 

I'm curious? How do suck Rex's dick and type at the same time? I mean he's trying to get his dick sucked and your always online typing on the forum during work hours. 

So Bye Bye Miss American Pie

Archived