Michael Vick leaves interview when asked about "QB Decision"..

pointman

Which people in the media are you referring to, who have given any credence to this competition being more than a sham? It seems if anything they've been having fun with it at the expense of Vick, Rex, Idzik, etc.

C'mon, no one seriously thinks Vick had any chance of being the QB outside of a Geno Smith meltdown (which may yet come in the preseason or during the season). He was here to act as an insurance policy and to "push" Geno in case any of his problems in year 2 were borne from a lack of motivation. Christ, even Mornhinweg said on the day the Jets signed him that he was here to play a "role" to "push Geno Smith to be the best he can be." Vick would only see the field "if called upon," meaning if Smith is injured or if Smith's playing like hot garbage.  And even if you are one of the few who still believe he was going to enter a true 50/50 competition, saying you had "no doubts" is overboard anyway given Vick's own interview answers.

...in my opinion. ;)

so then rex is a big fat stinkin' liar then.

so then rex is a big fat stinkin' liar then.

Yes, but not quite as fat as he was before lap band surgery.

Also, it's more of a charade (to the media) than lies (to Vick). Vick knew what his role was going to be here the day he signed the contract.

And if he did lie to Vick, then he gets points for that.  F*ck Vick.

I think the media is intentionally misinterpreting idziks "competition mantra"

it is silly to think every job, all 53 roster spots are "open" competitions every camp every year

in my mind, what he means is you have quality depth and competent backups, so if you suck, you get replaced, and you feel the heat

Yes, but not quite as fat as he was before lap band surgery.

Also, it's more of a charade (to the media) than lies (to Vick). Vick knew what his role was going to be here the day he signed the contract.

And if he did lie to Vick, then he gets points for that.  F*ck Vick.

haha. i am just thinking of how likely it would be for idzik to tell vick about his ulcer, gout, and his credit card debt on their first date. oh and also by the way you have no shot at starter either. no, i think there was some footsie under the table and rightly or wrongly vick in some way has the same feeling many have had when on the honeymoon your perfect fiance turns into a raging nag (not speaking from personal experience!). maybe there wasn't any lying, but i think there was some half-truth tellin'. because, well, idzik would be a pretty crappy GM if he wasn't willing to say what needs to be said or gloss over the things that shouldn't be said to get his guy in the building. it sure seems vick has accepted it for what it is, but we saw some small glimpses of his frustration or disappointment, whatever you want to call it, in his comments about it being a "closed" competition.

I think the Jets bring a lot of this on themselves with their bravado.

No team in the NFL gets asked more dumb troll questions by tabloid-trash sports reporters than the NY Jets, and that's because, by now, they all know there's a good chance they're going to get a juicy troll headline in the answers.

This is why Rex is always getting troll bait dangled in his face. The guy just can't resist the worm.

I realize Belichick isn't very popular with Jet fans, and I don't mention this so say "our way is better," but if you watch A Football Life: Cleveland 95', you'll see Belichick basically explain why he doesn't answer idiotic questions. If you do, they just keep on coming. After season after season of just stonewalling stupid dickfaces with a microphone, sports-reporters just understand by now that if they fish in New England for tabloid-trash, they aren't going to get jack, their chance to ask a question was wasted, and they may as well focus on the X's and O's.

haha. i am just thinking of how likely it would be for idzik to tell vick about his ulcer, gout, and his credit card debt on their first date. oh and also by the way you have no shot at starter either. no, i think there was some footsie under the table and rightly or wrongly vick in some small way has the same feeling many have had when on the honeymoon your perfect fiance turns into a raging nag (not speaking from personal experience!). maybe there wasn't any lying, but i think there was some half-truth tellin'. because, well, idzik would be a pretty crappy GM if he wasn't willing to say what needs to be said to get his guy in the building.

lol, not speaking from personal experience, exclamation point. Be careful Dad doesn't forward this over to her. Exclamation point.

I'm sure Mehta (at a minimum) would have written a thing or two about it by now if Vick was lied to. Not to mention the photos of Vick's dirty scowl after Mornhinweg says he's here to play a role, while the pen's still in Vick's hands. Or is Mehta now a pawn of John Idzik?

Vick is here because he thought Smith would surrender the job in no time, plus it's the best-paying backup QB job on the planet. You can think otherwise all you want, but that doesn't make it so.

Dude Rex said in March it would be awfully hard for Vick to beat out Geno. I mean seriously, you take that at face value to mean he and Mornhinweg and Lee and Idzik all Smith was a freaking awesome QB in March?

I'm telling you, Vick knew what the deal was. And if, by some small chance, he didn't? Even better.

I think the Jets bring a lot of this on themselves with their bravado.

No team in the NFL gets asked more dumb troll questions by tabloid-trash sports reporters than the NY Jets, and that's because, by now, they all know there's a good chance they're going to get a juicy troll headline in the answers.

This is why Rex is always getting troll bait dangled in his face. The guy just can't resist the worm.

I realize Belichick isn't very popular with Jet fans, and I don't mention this so say "our way is better," but if you watch A Football Life: Cleveland 95', you'll see Belichick basically explain why he doesn't answer idiotic questions. If you do, they just keep on coming. After season after season of just stonewalling stupid dickfaces with a microphone, sports-reporters just understand by now that if they fish in New England for tabloid-trash, they aren't going to get jack, their chance to ask a question was wasted, and they may as well focus on the X's and O's.

They just have different personalities. Mangini was more tight-lipped than Belichick. A lot of good it did him.

So they get asked a bunch of stupid questions. Big deal. And the tabloids here hardly started trolling with the arrival of Rex Ryan.

lol, not speaking from personal experience, exclamation point. Be careful Dad doesn't forward this over to her. Exclamation point.

I'm sure Mehta (at a minimum) would have written a thing or two about it by now if Vick was lied to. Not to mention the photos of Vick's dirty scowl after Mornhinweg says he's here to play a role, while the pen's still in Vick's hands. Or is Mehta now a pawn of John Idzik?

Vick is here because he thought Smith would surrender the job in no time, plus it's the best-paying backup QB job on the planet. You can think otherwise all you want, but that doesn't make it so.

Dude Rex said in March it would be awfully hard for Vick to beat out Geno. I mean seriously, you take that at face value to mean he and Mornhinweg and Lee and Idzik all Smith was a freaking awesome QB in March?

I'm telling you, Vick knew what the deal was. And if, by some small chance, he didn't? Even better.

moot anyway when vick is starting by week 5 or 6

The bold is the exact point I was going to make as well.  Let's not forget that when Vick initially came to the Jets, he did not sign at that time, and the prevailing opinion seemed to be that Geno, and the Jets' plans for him, was the reason why.  That only seemed to change after he went around the league and found no better opportunities available for him, but even from the beginning he acknowledged that it was mostly Geno's job to lose.  I can certainly understand that not being what he was ideally looking for, and even it not being what some fans were hoping for, but that's different than him being told something else entirely by the Jets.

Exactly.

He left the Jets' building when they told him their plan was for him to back up and push Geno. He came back to the Jets when he discovered that that was the best deal he was gonna get. He knew 100% what he was getting into. If he's disappointed at all, it's because Geno hasn't fallen flat on his face at this point in time. And if he's disappointed about that, screw him.

They just have different personalities. Mangini was more tight-lipped than Belichick. A lot of good it did him.

So they get asked a bunch of stupid questions. Big deal. And the tabloids here hardly started trolling with the arrival of Rex Ryan.

remember when he wouldn't let the team publish a depth chart on the website ?

lol

It's a bad comparison to begin with. There's no stonewalling the media in New York. Sorry.

It's a bad comparison to begin with. There's no stonewalling the media in New York. Sorry.

I remember the backlash when Mangini first got here and tried that. Beat writer(s) walking after a rookie D'Brickashaw and he starts giggling as he runs away from them, only to see him and Mangini both torn apart in the paper because of it.

I liked it at the time, since I was enjoying the misery of dopey clowns like Cannizzaro still moping about Herm not being here anymore. But in hindsight it was a fruitless endeavor.  They still trolled him and the team, and Mangini & co. were battling the media as well as their opponents.

Anyway, point is it's laughable that the NY media being this way began with Ryan. 

I remember the backlash when Mangini first got here and tried that. Beat writer(s) walking after a rookie D'Brickashaw and he starts giggling as he runs away from them, only to see him and Mangini both torn apart in the paper because of it.

I liked it at the time, since I was enjoying the misery of dopey clowns like Cannizzaro still moping about Herm not being here anymore. But in hindsight it was a fruitless endeavor. They still trolled him and the team, and Mangini & co. were battling the media as well as their opponents.

Anyway, point is it's laughable that the NY media being this way began with Ryan.

There was some bizarre conference call too when Mangini was first introduced as coach. He tried doing the Belichick thing and the press was all over him for it for like a month.

It always cracks me up when people who root for teams in other markets think NY is remotely comparable.

Archived