Green and White Scrimmage

Maxman

I know it's with the 2nd teamers, but Geno sounds like he's slinging it out there.  I especially like hearing that players are "scooping" the ball off of the ground which at least sounds like he's keeping it out of reach of the defenders

Yeah I love it when my QB is throwing Tebow balls

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't catch balls with your ... Oh I see what you did there. That's super funny brah. 

You waering your jets pj's tonight?

yup.  got my foam finger too. your mama loves the finger

you got your brady underoos on son ?

yup.  got my foam finger too. your mama loves the finger

you got your brady underoos on son ?

Son I'm not a Pats fan. It's sad thats all you think about. It sucks that OUR team has only won as many divivsion titles as the Jags, only been out of the first round 7 times and haven't won a SB in 50 years but I dont let them run my life. Its just a game. 

Go Jets!!! J E T S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hill still catching balls with his stomach and knees

Looks like it. I just seen the clip of him catching a deep ball. why in the world is he jumping to catch the ball? Its because his confidence (and ability) of his hands is suspect. He's a body catcher and he simply doesn't seem to be able to shake doing that. I could understand jumping to catch the ball at the top of the jump, but to jump simply to secure the ball with a body catch lets me know that his hand game isn't where it needs to be and there will be drives that should have either gained more yards or should have been a TD that will end up being either incomplete's or just catches with zero YAC. 

The #2 WR spot is for sure open for whoever wants it. 

I was feeling so good when i read Hill caught a long completion as i was going thru Twitter feed. Then i came to this thread.

So Hill is not going to the Hall of Fame but pray do tell us common folks if he can have  50/700 yard season for us. Because that would be a HUGE improvement and i can live with that.

Son I'm not a Pats fan. It's sad thats all you think about. It sucks that OUR team has only won as many divivsion titles as the Jags, only been out of the first round 7 times and haven't won a SB in 50 years but I dont let them run my life. Its just a game. 

Go Jets!!! J E T S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are done here.

Jets Training Camp

Jets Training CampBy JOE CARLSON

CORTLAND N.Y.  – Saturday night was the Jets’ annual green and white scrimmage at SUNY Cortland. Here is a recap from the night.

OFFENSE

The night started off bad for the offense, with the first play from scrimmage going for a two-yard loss. It didn’t get much better from there, as the “improved” offense only managed to score three field goals in the 90-minute scrimmage and only passed the 50-yard line a handful of times.

JetNation Forum member 124, also known on Twitter as @L7Panda said it best; “the fireworks at the end of practice” were the biggest explosion of the night.

Almost the certain starting quarterback, Geno Smith, finished the night 7-for-14 for 84 yards. About half of that came of a 41-yard strike to Stephen Hill in the “first half” of action.  Smith saw pressure all night, as the first team offensive line could not hold their own against what is believed to be one of the top defensive lines in the league.

Smith should have been intercepted on at least two occasions, but lucked out and both were dropped.

Michael Vick seemed to have more of a handle on the offense and with his quick release was able to avoid being sacked on multiple occasions.

Vick finished the evening 7-for-13 for 47 yards, but also added two scrambles for a total of 35 yards.

On one play, if the scrimmage was a game, Vick would have gotten crushed by Rontez Miles who came on a backside safety blitz and reached the quarterback before he hit the third step in his three step drop.

For those who want a winner declared between the quarterbacks after each practice, Vick was clearly the better signal caller on Saturday night.

It wasn’t all bad for the offense, new addition Chris Johnson looked quick hitting the holes on the few plays that he was in the game. Escaping the scrimmage without any damage to his surgically repaired knee is a very positive step in the right direction.

Eric Decker, who may have gotten the biggest cheer from the crowd when introduced, finished with one catch for seven yards.

The biggest standout of the night was Greg Salas, outside of a pair of bad drops towards the end of the scrimmage, Salas showed that he could get himself open and make catches when targeted. He finished the night with five catches for 54 yards.

Outside of a fourth down catch by veteran Jeff Cumberland, the tight ends, including rookie Jace Amaro were invisible.

DEFENSE

Like most Sundays, the defense was the best part of the Jets. The team only allowed three field goals to an offense that is expected to be much improved over last year.

Standouts on Saturday included Kendrick Ellis, the fourth-year nose tackle, shot a gap and completely obliterated a running back (I believe it was Alex Green) for a tackle for a loss.

Rontez Miles played quite well with a sack, another quarterback pressure and a pass defense.

Jason Babin, the recently added linebacker had his name called several times on Saturday, including a pair of sacks.

An Alex Green fumble led to a scoop and almost score for T.J. Barnes, who ran about 15 yards before being dragged down by a host of players.

A slimmed down Quinton Coples seemed quick on Saturday night and had several opportunities to blow up runs plays at the line of scrimmage, but pulled up due to it being a scrimmage.

Outside of an interception by Jeremy Reeves and the sack by Miles, the secondary left much to be desired. Cornerback Darrin Walls dropped a sure pick six, which cannot happen if the Jets want to win games. As Head Coach Rex Ryan has already stressed creating turnovers during training camp; the team cannot afford to give away sure fire ones.

Dimitri Patterson was burned badly by Hill on his 41-yard reception. Patterson did not impress much during his first green and white scrimmage.

MISCELLANEOUS

The team announced last week they would have a “Launch Crew” throwing t-shirts into crowds during games this season. Fans got their first taste of this on Saturday night and in my opinion, it was a disaster. Though shirts were only launched into the stands during breaks in the action, plays were missed as people continued to stand up screaming for more shirts to be thrown. Most people lost interest in the scrimmage quickly and just started searching for the perfect spot to hunker down to try and catch a shirt. One gentleman in front of me almost fell down the steps of the bleachers in an effort to claim a shirt. With no alcohol being served on Saturday, I can only imagine what it will be like when there is.

The team also debuted a new entrance tunnel on Saturday. While nice, the large inflatable tunnel with a jet on top did not excite me as much as the flames shooting from the towers as the players ran out.

As all the players were announced by name, new additions Eric Decker and Michael Vick received the biggest cheers.

The announced attendance for the scrimmage was 7,125 people.

You can continue the conversation in our

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
ESvhM6xEZro

View the full article

In fairness the Jets don't figure to lay out their whole offense in an open to the public scrimmage. And a scrimmage is more about getting down your basic things than going exotic. At a loss though why the defense blitzed heavy several times.On radio Wishusen and Lyons were politely "surprised" about that.

Today's; Post, Brian Costello-

http://nypost.com/2014/08/03/jets-offense-goes-nowhere-fast-in-scrimmage/

CORTLAND — As Jets quarterback Geno Smith began to answer questions from the media after Saturday night’s “Green and White Scrimmage,” fireworks began going off to his right.

“How about we all stare at the fireworks for a second?” Smith said to the reporters.

It was the first fireworks anyone had seen all night.

The Jets offense was about as effective as a wet firecracker, and scored just two field goals as Smith and Michael Vick failed to get the team into the end zone. That new and improved Jets offense still has a lot of improving to do.

“We didn’t score enough points as an offense,” Smith said. “We got down to the red zone two or three times and had an opportunity to score and only came away with three points. We’ve got to do a better job of capitalizing once we get down to the red zone.”

Of course, Jets coach Rex Ryan felt the scrimmage was proof of how good his defense is, not how poor his offense is.

“Overall I was really pleased,” Ryan said. “If we’re looking at it from the numbers perspective, hey, we never threw X amount of touchdowns, all right no touchdowns. It was much more competitive than that.”

OK, Rex, whatever you say.

The offense looked dismal. Smith nearly threw two interceptions and the running game was stuffed all night long. The offense also committed several penalties that put them in bad situations.

Smith finished the night 7-of-14 for 84 yards, with 41 of those coming on a long pass to Stephen Hill, the lone offensive highlight of the night. Vick went 7-of-13 for 47 yards and ran the ball twice for 35 yards. Vick was the team’s leading rusher. Each quarterback had four series; Smith had three with the starters while Vick had one.

“It could have been better,” Vick said. “As an offense, you always want to strive to put points on the board. Our defense is extremely tough. I don’t know if they game planned for us in one day or what, but they did a good job. We did some good things on offense, but there are a lot of corrections to be made and I think we’ll be all right.”

The new additions did not add much. Running back Chris Johnson gained 14 yards on five carries. Wide receiver Eric Decker had one catch for 7 yards.

The Jets have three practice days to fix things before their first preseason game Thursday night at MetLife Stadium against the Colts.

“I think when we tee it off for real on Thursday night, we’ll probably put up some points,” Ryan said.

The closest the Jets came to a touchdown was on Smith’s drive with the second team. He connected with Greg Salas, Jalen Saunders and Clyde Gates to move the ball into the defense’s territory. He then threw a ball up to Salas on fourth-and-5 in the end zone that fell to the ground, but cornerback Darrin Walls was called for pass interference.

The offense had four shots from the 1-yard line, but running back Alex Green was stuffed three times near the line of scrimmage. On fourth down, Garrett McIntyre sacked Smith on a rollout.

Ryan, forgetting he coaches both sides of the ball, was thrilled by the goal-line stand.

“That was awesome,” Ryan said. “You love it as a defensive coach.”

The good news for the Jets is it’s just early August. The bad news is we’ve seen this script before under Ryan when the defense plays lights out and the offense sputters. They have a month to figure it out.

Anyone else infuriated by how happy Rex is in shutting out his own offense? What the hell. No touchdowns from his team means it's a great day? He's truly the most one dimensional coach in the NFL bar none. I thought he'd figure out by now that he isn't supposed to be a defensive coordinator. He's supposed to be the coach of the Jets. Not he jets defense. Throwing blitzes at his young, inexperienced offense to ensure they won't be successful is the epitome of nearsighted, childish egotism. I'm finding it hard to stay in his corner anymore.

it's easy to look at the scrimmage and say the offense still sucks. 

however the flip side is that the defense is really good and really deep. 

there are guys on the second team like Ellis and Babin who are actually starter quality. These guys (and others) ran wild on the second team offensive line. 

Maybe the offense isn't terrible. maybe the defense is just the heart of this football team.

To better understand this dynamic, look at the Broncos' intra-squad scrimmage, which also occurred Saturday. 

http://www.timescall.com/sports/ci_26266256/broncos-offense-still-full-fire-power

The Broncos offense destroyed their defense, which is not a terrible group (Von Miller, Demarcus Ware etc). 

Anyone else infuriated by how happy Rex is in shutting out his own offense? What the hell. No touchdowns from his team means it's a great day? He's truly the most one dimensional coach in the NFL bar none. I thought he'd figure out by now that he isn't supposed to be a defensive coordinator. He's supposed to be the coach of the Jets. Not he jets defense. Throwing blitzes at his young, inexperienced offense to ensure they won't be successful is the epitome of nearsighted, childish egotism. I'm finding it hard to stay in his corner anymore.

It wasn't just the vaunted "ones" shutting down down a vanilla offense (that, let face it, will probably be a bit gimmicky on game days), the 2's and 3's were playing their correct assignments and making their tackles.

I'm not concerned. That means the strength of our team (defense) is deep enough to survive injury.

We'll need that. Three and Outs with an electric punt returner, a bunch of redzone targets, and a steady kicker seems to be the thinking here.

I was pretty livid. He seemed extremely happy that "his" defense had completely shut down "the" offense. I like some things about Rex, but I think that he still does not really get it. He thinks he can win purely with defense as long as the offense does not lose the game. It is backward and destructive thinking, I am optimistic from a talent standpoint, but still far from convinced he is the guy that will get us where we need to be.

Not for nothing but I wouldnt be crowing too much about how the defense shut down this offense. It's not exactly the greatest show on turf.

Rex needs to stfu. He may be skinny now but he is still the big buffoon he always has been from day one as HC of the NYJ.

The offense was trying to score and the defense was trying to prevent that. Your saying that other teams wont run blitzes against us? I wasn't surprised nor was I upset at the fact Rex was throwing blitzes at the O. I think the scrimmage is a type of barometer to see where the team is at. Would you rather the D play base and try not to hurt the Offense'feelings with scary blitzes. If Geno and this offense are going to progress, we need to learn to handle an NFL defense. Why not start now?

you certainly get the feeling that Rex deep down would rather lose a game 6-3 than win it 36-33, that's always been the issue and I agree pretty concerning that it's still going on

Archived