The Need For Speed

Maxman

Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 40 and nobody could ever run him down from behind. I think Mick meant you cant just judge it on 40 times alone. some players play faster (a lot faster) than their 40 times.

Good article btw :)

Thanks.  I hope I wasn't implying that speed was the be all/end all.  That's why I started it by saying the Raiders had it wrong by relying solely on speed, and the Jets were wrong to neglect it for so long..hence the need to land somewhere in the middle.  Fast football players.

Thanks.  I hope I wasn't implying that speed was the be all/end all.  That's why I started it by saying the Raiders had it wrong by relying solely on speed, and the Jets were wrong to neglect it for so long..hence the need to land somewhere in the middle.  Fast football players.

As noted in my earlier responses, I didn't interpret it that way. My take-away was that  you were trying to illustrate the commitment to adding explosiveness, and were using all the 40 times as a quantitative example one dimension (team speed) that has been improved.

While I agree with the argument that 40 times aren't the sole metric to latch onto. I will say, if you add 7 new guys all of which run sub 4.4 forty's, you are likely going to find at least a couple guys that translate that speed to playmaking.

Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 40 and nobody could ever run him down from behind. I think Mick meant you cant just judge it on 40 times alone. some players play faster (a lot faster) than their 40 times.

Good article btw :)

Somewhere on here I tracked down a bunch of stuff on Rice's 40 and the 4.6 is a myth.  He ran faster and that was when it was handtimed, so the numbers were all over the map.  

Would he be in your top ten of all time?

HOF?

His career isn't over.  What did Curtis Martin do that he didn't?  He might well make the HOF.  He is not in my top 10, but there is a huge gap between successful and HOF/top ten.  Nobody is saying speed = success, just that it is a good thing to have.  When in doubt, pick the faster guy.  Reynaldo Neiamiah, Saalim Hakim and Jeremy Reeves may not be successful NFL players, but their speed provides a puncher's chance. 

As noted in my earlier responses, I didn't interpret it that way. My take-away was that  you were trying to illustrate the commitment to adding explosiveness, and were using all the 40 times as a quantitative example one dimension (team speed) that has been improved.

While I agree with the argument that 40 times aren't the sole metric to latch onto. I will say, if you add 7 new guys all of which run sub 4.4 forty's, you are likely going to find at least a couple guys that translate that speed to playmaking.

Bingo...bring in a bunch of fast skill players, if a couple pan out, it's more than we've had in what seems like forever.

Archived