5-5 at the bye!

stevegrunder

I think a lot of the perception is what happens every year. The assumption is that the tough teams (from last year) will continue to be tough, and that many of the others who weren't have improved to the point where they will now be tough. And then there's the Raiders.

So looking at the schedule through that set of eyes will make the schedule look harder than it ultimately will be. Detroit is on there as a tough opponent. Same with Chicago. Meanwhile they sucked last year and are just being viewed (by many) as a good overall team that we'll probably lose to because they have some elite individual fantasy football players. They may be improved enough to be that this year but it's hardly a given. Who's to say that Matt Stafford is even going to be a healthy QB this year? How is it known that Chicago won't be giving up 30 ppg this season? AND that a paper tiger like the Chiefs will still be so hard to beat that a loss is all but assured.

We'll see when the time comes for these matchups how hard of an opponent we're facing. There are so many surprises - in both directions - every year.

Is it safe to say that when other teams fans see the Jets on their schedule they view that week as a W? I wonder if Oakland's fan base is happy they play us week 1 lol Like you said so many surprises in both directions I just hope it's the Jets surprising teams, in a good way.

Is it safe to say that when other teams fans see the Jets on their schedule they view that week as a W? I wonder if Oakland's fan base is happy they play us week 1 lol Like you said so many surprises in both directions I just hope it's the Jets surprising teams, in a good way.

Absolutely, but perception has no impact on reality.

Some will say yes, some will say no. Depends on the fan. Some will say that we were 8-8 in year 1 of a roster-gutting, and others will point to the wide PF/PA differential. Still others will look at neither and just figure the Jets are starting Geno Smith and nothing else matters because he sucks.

But fan perceptions don't make the opponents any easier or harder in reality.  There are some teams I figure will be tough, like most everyone, and even those are predicated on having healthy key players (Denver with a healthy Manning, GB with a healthy Rodgers, etc.).

Remember that sure-thing 5-game span of misery we were looking at a year ago? How we'd be lucky to get more than 1 win over that stretch, with a good chance we'd be 0-5? Well we ended up going 3-2 even with all the problems we had on both sides of the ball last year.

So I still say we'll see when the time comes who's tough and who's not. For them and for us.

Some will say yes, some will say no. Depends on the fan. Some will say that we were 8-8 in year 1 of a roster-gutting, and others will point to the wide PF/PA differential. Still others will look at neither and just figure the Jets are starting Geno Smith and nothing else matters because he sucks.

But fan perceptions don't make the opponents any easier or harder in reality.  There are some teams I figure will be tough, like most everyone, and even those are predicated on having healthy key players (Denver with a healthy Manning, GB with a healthy Rodgers, etc.).

Remember that sure-thing 5-game span of misery we were looking at a year ago? How we'd be lucky to get more than 1 win over that stretch, with a good chance we'd be 0-5? Well we ended up going 3-2 even with all the problems we had on both sides of the ball last year.

So I still say we'll see when the time comes who's tough and who's not. For them and for us.

yup, crap changes fast, this could end a ez schedule when Brady/rivers go down as example

5 win teams don't usually make the playoffs. Neither do teams that only play 10 games. 

We'll need 10 wins to get in the playoffs this year, just like most years.

huh? I honestly have no idea what the heck you are talking about, nor how you took my post and made this doodie from it.

This is how I feel. I honestly don't see our schedule as being bad, in fact, I see it being rather easy.

Unless you are in a divsion with 2 top teams, most schedules are not bad if you are a decent team.

We will win at least 4 games in the division alone, probably 5.

In the day of parity, if you do a few things well, or even one thing really well, you are going to beat up on a lot of really bad teams. The spills and the gay fish both are going to really suck, and likely will have coaches who will be on their way out by week 4.

Unless both EJ Manual and Tannehill emerge as really good QB's, those teams are cake. I think they both suck too.

This is how I feel. I honestly don't see our schedule as being bad, in fact, I see it being rather easy.

Unless you are in a divsion with 2 top teams, most schedules are not bad if you are a decent team.

We will win at least 4 games in the division alone, probably 5.

In the day of parity, if you do a few things well, or even one thing really well, you are going to beat up on a lot of really bad teams. The spills and the gay fish both are going to really suck, and likely will have coaches who will be on their way out by week 4.

Unless both EJ Manual and Tannehill emerge as really good QB's, those teams are cake. I think they both suck too.

Are you kidding? The Jets got swept by the Bills last year and went 1-1 against the fins. This is complete comedy.  :face:

Are you kidding? The Jets got swept by the Bills last year and went 1-1 against the fins. This is complete comedy.  :face:

Yeah, the real killer was that week 3 game where the Jets lost to the Bills in spite of scoring 7 more points than them.

This obviously has to be some sort of intentional running joke, because no living creature, human or otherwise, could possibly be this stupid.

That's like saying, if and a big IF we become a good team we win 12. Well,,,,yeah.

no , it's like saying the Defense is already in place for a 12 W season, but our 2013 Offense is so below par we held them back.  5 pts a game more we win 3-4 more games 

no , it's like saying the Defense is already in place for a 12 W season, but our 2013 Offense is so below par we held them back.  5 pts a game more we win 3-4 more games 

It is??? So you're saying the Jets have a 12 win defensive backfield? You're saying that the LB's are a 12 win group? The Jets have a good Defensive line, but it's not the steel curtain, or even close. The Cb's and Safeties wouldn't start on most teams and your LB's are about as average as you can get. The offense is not good by any means but pretending that they are the only thing preventing a 12 win season is a fantasy. The Jets secondary will be carved up this season and trust me by mid season there will be many threads floating around talking about, "how come the front office didn't get Revis back when they had a chance. 

It is??? So you're saying the Jets have a 12 win defensive backfield? You're saying that the LB's are a 12 win group? The Jets have a good Defensive line, but it's not the steel curtain, or even close. The Cb's and Safeties wouldn't start on most teams and your LB's are about as average as you can get. The offense is not good by any means but pretending that they are the only thing preventing a 12 win season is a fantasy. The Jets secondary will be carved up this season and trust me by mid season there will be many threads floating around talking about, "how come the front office didn't get Revis back when they had a chance. 

Our secondary cannot possibly get more carved up than it did last year.  Any improvement out of Milliner and anything out of Pryor and the  secondary could easily go from a weakness to a strength.

yes ,with more points, our already very good D gets better field position and more rest.

You have to think beyond the ordinary crap, u need to understand how very good D will benefit in so many ways from  abetter Offense other than just points on board. It wil lprobably reduce the points allowed due ot better field position. Our D cam eon field alot last year with opponents at midfield for Gods sake LOL

yes ,with more points, our already very good D gets better field position and more rest.

You have to think beyond the ordinary crap, u need to understand how very good D will benefit in so many ways from  abetter Offense other than just points on board. It wil lprobably reduce the points allowed due ot better field position. Our D cam eon field alot last year with opponents at midfield for Gods sake LOL

That's a fair take, an improved offense will of course help any defense. Overall I just don't see this defense being half of what Jet fans have made it out to be in their heads. It's a great line, but it takes more than that to be a great defense, and I'm not seeing it.

I think a lot of the perception is what happens every year. The assumption is that the tough teams (from last year) will continue to be tough, and that many of the others who weren't have improved to the point where they will now be tough. And then there's the Raiders.

So looking at the schedule through that set of eyes will make the schedule look harder than it ultimately will be. Detroit is on there as a tough opponent. Same with Chicago. Meanwhile they sucked last year and are just being viewed (by many) as a good overall team that we'll probably lose to because they have some elite individual fantasy football players. They may be improved enough to be that this year but it's hardly a given. Who's to say that Matt Stafford is even going to be a healthy QB this year? How is it known that Chicago won't be giving up 30 ppg this season? AND that a paper tiger like the Chiefs will still be so hard to beat that a loss is all but assured.

We'll see when the time comes for these matchups how hard of an opponent we're facing. There are so many surprises - in both directions - every year.

I agree with this idea that most people tend to look at last year as a barometer and that may or may not be accurate, but I'm more afraid that we're facing a lot of teams with franchise QBs. barring injury, or a freakishly poor game, we can still count on Rodgers, Cutler, Brady, Manning, Rivers, Stafford, etc... to give us trouble just because of their talent. Our CBs are a question mark, and we've seen little evidence that Geno can win a shootout. I guess we'll see.

I agree with this idea that most people tend to look at last year as a barometer and that may or may not be accurate, but I'm more afraid that we're facing a lot of teams with franchise QBs. barring injury, or a freakishly poor game, we can still count on Rodgers, Cutler, Brady, Manning, Rivers, Stafford, etc... to give us trouble just because of their talent. Our CBs are a question mark, and we've seen little evidence that Geno can win a shootout. I guess we'll see.

I don't count on that, though. Or I don't count on it in late July and early August. A year ago you'd have thrown Matt Ryan and Tom Brady and Drew Brees in there. All 3 lost to us, and Brady would have lost twice if we didn't have an undeserving rookie QB out there, throwing 3 picks in the 4th quarter of a 3 point game.

I'm not saying what we're going to do or what we're not going to do. Only that you can't count losses this time of year any more than wins.

I don't count on that, though. Or I don't count on it in late July and early August. A year ago you'd have thrown Matt Ryan and Tom Brady and Drew Brees in there. All 3 lost to us, and Brady would have lost twice if we didn't have an undeserving rookie QB out there, throwing 3 picks in the 4th quarter of a 3 point game.

I'm not saying what we're going to do or what we're not going to do. Only that you can't count losses this time of year any more than wins.

The Jets were also beaten down and blown out in 6 out of 8 losses against teams like the Bills, Dolphins, etc.   So yeah they played well against Drew Brees and Tom Brady, but they made Tannehill look like a pro bowl QB.     So what can you really take from a team who couldn't win back to back games most of last season and were blown out in 6 of 8 games?   They were great against the Run, not much else.  

They were an 8-8 team that were blown out in most of their losses.     And it's not like their Secondary is guaranteed to be so much better.   It only improves if Milliner suddenly becomes a pro bowl CB and a bunch of rookies step up from day one and a guy like Patterson proves he's not the same guy 6 other teams don't want.  And after last night, that sure wasn't what it looked like so far.    That's a lot of hope and faith in an entire secondary being better than what normally is expected for 2nd year players, rookies, a guy like Wilson, and a player like Patterson.    If Milliner is a pro bowl CB, but everybody else isn't very good, they are still in trouble.    There is just a lot of faith and hope that everybody will have great years all at once.  How often does that happen?       I hope it does, but it seems some people just assume the defense is great just because.

can this secondary hold up while facing

schaub/carr

Rodgers

cutler

stafford/megatron

rivers

manning

brady

manuel/watkins

alex smith

big ben

holy crap that's depressing

I think they will beat the Raiders.  The Raiders are just a mess of a team and at this point don't even know if they'll stay in Oakland, go to LA or San Antonio. And Schaub was awful last season.  

It'll be a tough game against the Packers, but it's not like the Packers are the Super Bowl Packers team and it's not like they are a team who scores 50 points a game in Sept.  If Geno doesn't turn the ball over, I think they will have a tight game.   But i think in the end, the Packers pull it out.  

I think they lose to the bears.  I don't think Cutler is a top 5 QB, but he's a stats guy and a guy like him will put up big numbers against this secondary.   If the Jets DL doesn't put pressure on him, he'll have a field day.

Detroit scores.  They might lose often, but they have one hell of an offense.  I just don't see this secondary stopping them.   Which means the offense needs to score 30 points.  I just don't see it.    And the OL needs to get better than it was last night or Geno & Vick are going to be lying on the ground after Suh body slams them.

WHo knows about San Diego.  Rivers had a good season last year and it's in San diego.  I think if it were in NJ, the Jets might win. But in SD,  I think the Chargers win.

By week 6,  Denver and Manning are probably looking at home field advantage. Anything is possible, but it's hard to imagine the Jets being able to stop that offense.  And a few Broncos might be out to prove they didn't need Decker. 

The Pats/Jets always seem to be close division games.   They always have a chance and i imagine it'll be another split season.  So I'll give the Jets the first game. And the Pats don't really have great Receivers.  At least guys who will kill the Jets secondary.  And who knows about Gronk.  He's still injured.

I think the next last 3 games on this list would be a win, win, and a loss.  I think the Chiefs take a step back, and Big Ben and the Steelers are always a team who struggles to 9-10 wins.

-----

Baring Injuries and anything else,  I see them as a 4-6 team after the first 10 games.     

The Jets were also beaten down and blown out in 6 out of 8 losses against teams like the Bills, Dolphins, etc.   So yeah they played well against Drew Brees and Tom Brady, but they made Tannehill look like a pro bowl QB.     So what can you really take from a team who couldn't win back to back games most of last season and were blown out in 6 of 8 games?   They were great against the Run, not much else.  

They were an 8-8 team that were blown out in most of their losses.     And it's not like their Secondary is guaranteed to be so much better.   It only improves if Milliner suddenly becomes a pro bowl CB and a bunch of rookies step up from day one and a guy like Patterson proves he's not the same guy 6 other teams don't want.  And after last night, that sure wasn't what it looked like so far.    That's a lot of hope and faith in an entire secondary being better than what normally is expected for 2nd year players, rookies, a guy like Wilson, and a player like Patterson.    If Milliner is a pro bowl CB, but everybody else isn't very good, they are still in trouble.    There is just a lot of faith and hope that everybody will have great years all at once.  How often does that happen?       I hope it does, but it seems some people just assume the defense is great just because.

What exactly is your definition of "blown out"?  I'm just curious, because if you're asserting that 6 of the Jets losses qualified as blowouts, then it would mean at least some of the Jets wins would also have to qualify as blowout wins, which I seriously doubt anyone would assert.  Don't get me wrong, a number of the Jets losses were seriously ugly, but I think this is getting a tad extreme.

You must be mistaking me for someone who thinks last year's team was good, and making further extrapolations beyond that.

All I'm saying is that there are games every year that people will write off as automatic losses as givens, and then look at the rest of the games after that as ones that actually might be wins or losses. I was making no further inferences, but carry on thinking so if it brings you joy.

Archived