Positives \ Negatives from the game?

Maxman

Without putting a lot of thought into this, I feel good about:

• Dee Milliner
  • Dexter McDougle
  • Eric Decker
  • No costly interceptions by our QBs

My concerns are:

• The offensive line - the starting line didn't look good.
  • Dimitri Patterson
  • That no wide receiver said, I am the # 2 guy

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was really hard to watch with such a bad stream but here are my thoughts:

No turnovers

Decker looked better than i expected. Did Stephen Hill play? Is he on the team still?

It's Geno's job to loose plain and simple

CBs are gonna be a rollarcoaster ride

I hope out RBs can stay healthy cause if they can the 3HDs will be a good combo 

...if the OLine works out...

More short passing on first down please

If they have any shot, Milliner has to be legit. Beyond that I think the # 2 will eventually be either McDougle or Walls. Patterson will probably be the week one starter but that is going to be short lived.

Dee and Dex looked good so that was great to see. Not to be a broken record but Patterson was horrible which was troubling. Breno struggled but I think Winters played relatively well. We forced a fumble and actually recovered it this time which was great ! Even though the game has no meaning it feels good to get a W. Most importantly Jets football is back everyone,thank god for that. :)

Dee and Dex looked good so that was great to see. Not to be a broken record but Patterson was horrible which was troubling to see. Breno struggled but I think Winters played relatively well. We forced a fumble and actually recovered it this time which was great to see ! Even though the game has no meaning it feels good to get a W. Most importantly Jets football is back everyone,thank god for that. :)

That is a positive, definitely. Good point.

It was really hard to watch with such a bad stream but here are my thoughts:

No turnovers

Decker looked better than i expected. Did Stephen Hill play? Is he on the team still?

It's Geno's job to loose plain and simple

I hope out RBs can stay healthy cause if they can the 3HDs will be a good combo 

...if the OLine works out...

More short passing on first down please

Hill looked ok. On one of the QB scrambles he had a really nice down-field block. If he can at least contribute that way, he'll bring something to the table.

* i posted this at the end of the game thread but it probably more appropriate here so am reposting *

I just watched the first half on replay on nfl.com

Here are my conclusions, watching the play on the field, and the body language off the field:

1. geno's play is very choppy / there is no smoothness to his game / he almost threw a boneheaded pick 6 he had no business throwing across the field as he was flushed out of the pocket and was being tackled -- he does not seem to have learned that much in year 2 -- he had bulked up, but, and i cant quite put my finger on it, he seems very arrogant and at the same time unsure of himself.  that in game interview, i wondered what planet he was on... he was just mouthing things that have little bearing on the actual performance of the team with him at the helm

2. vick quite obviously outplayed him. any non biased assessment would lead to that conclusion.  imho.

3. the rest of the offense played better for vick, it look like a much smoother scoring machine

4. i may be reading too much into this, but geno was often seen standing alone on the sideline -- almost arrogantly so -- while vick always seems to have a group of guys around him, and is always talking with the younger players in what looks like a positiive way

5. i dont think decker (judging by body language on the sideline) thinks to highly of geno as a qb -- again, the body language shows like hmmm what have we got here?

6. in general, i would say the rest of the jets know that vick is the better, more talented qb -- just by how they act differently around each qb

7. the gameplan was horrendous / very conservative, totally lacking in imagination

8. had luck stayed in, it probably would have ended up 48 -10 / noting that long hasselbeck pass, i think the secondary is an obvious weakness

conclusion: start vick, let geno learn the game riding the bench for a while till vick gets injured. vick lost his starting role to injuries last year. geno did not win the staring job outright, he benefited from mark being injured in that dumb giants game. in my opinion, he is not a winner, nor is he a legitimate NFL starting QB. he had a good dec against weak teams.

if Rex has any balls, he shoudl tell Idzick that his pet project is obviously not ready for prime time. that he (Rex) should stake his job on vick starting, and may win over half their games against that grueling schedule till the break, by which time geno would have maybe learned how to play this game, and take us the rest of the way to the playoffs. the more cynical expalanation is that rex can claim to woody he is blameless if idzick's pick turns out to be phoney baloney: rex can claim he was forced to start geno, but knew that vick was the correct short term answer to a winning season. then in the midst of all the dissension, we see idzik taking the heat, and maybe be gone next year. after all wooody didnt pick him. he hired someone to pick him for him.

a very positive positive is the play of Alex Green, though they dont really need another running back.

final words: to repeat offense is more dynamic, creative under vick. it was immediately obvious when viewed under replay.

Rex better wake up, instead of trying to recreate the team he had in the Sanchize's first year. run run run run run dink pass run run run.

Dexter McDougle looked impressive and with Patterson looking the way he does, McDougle will probably end up being the #2 CB which so far is looking like the move to make. Dee Milliner isn't looking like the best CB in the league but he certainly didnt look like a guy we should be concerned about. He needs to pull in the ball for that INT, but he did have like 2 or 3 pass break-ups. Quinton Coples didnt contribute anything but I was very impressed with David Harris, Demario Davis and Calvin Pace. Jeremiah George I believe will make this team as well. 

Geno Smith looked pretty good. The defense was pretty vanilla but Geno made the right reads and got the ball out of his hands. Jace Amaro will be a problem for defenders soon enough. I think he had a decent game. 

I seen nothing worth nothing from Stephen Hill. I will not be falling for the "OTA talk" again. Im going to give him to the end of the preseason but its really looking like he's not going to be a Jet next year. Eric Decker is looking like he's worth the money and is a #1 WR because he's our #1 receiver. 

IK Enemkpali looked good on special teams and looked really good on defense. He's making this squad. 

Biggest concern is Breno. He did not look good and we have little depth at tackle. If he isn't good that is going to be a huge problem.

There is no depth at tackle. But breno can't be worse than Howard. Can he?

* i posted this at the end of the game thread but it probably more appropriate here so am reposting *

Here are my conclusions, watching the play on the field, and the body language off the field:

1. geno's play is very choppy / there is no smoothness to his game / he almost threw a boneheaded pick 6 he had no business throwing across the field as he was flushed out of the pocket and was being tackled -- he does not seem to have learned that much in year 2 -- he had bulked up, but, and i cant quite put my finger on it, he seems very arrogant and at the same time unsure of himself.  that in game interview, i wondered what planet he was on... he was just mouthing things that have little bearing on the actual performance of the team with him at the helm

2. vick quite obviously outplayed him. any non biased assessment would lead to that conclusion.  imho.

3. the rest of the offense played better for vick, it look like a much smoother scoring machine

4. i may be reading too much into this, but geno was often seen standing alone on the sideline -- almost arrogantly so -- while vick always seems to have a group of guys around him, and is always talking with the younger players in what looks like a positiive way

5. i dont think decker (judging by body language on the sideline) thinks to highly of geno as a qb -- again, the body language shows like hmmm what have we got here?

6. in general, i would say the rest of the jets know that vick is the better, more talented qb -- just by how they act differently around each qb

7. the gameplan was horrendous / very conservative, totally lacking in imagination

8. had luck stayed in, it probably would have ended up 48 -10 / noting that long hasselbeck pass, i think the secondary is an obvious weakness

conclusion: start vick, let geno learn the game riding the bench for a while till vick gets injured. vick lost his starting role to injuries last year. geno did not win the staring job outright, he benefited from mark being injured in that dumb giants game. in my opinion, he is not a winner, nor is he a legitimate NFL starting QB. he had a good dec against weak teams.

if Rex has any balls, he shoudl tell Idzick that his pet project is obviously not ready for prime time. that he (Rex) should stake his job on vick starting, and may win over half their games against that grueling schedule till the break, by which time geno would have maybe learned how to play this game, and take us the rest of the way to the playoffs. the more cynical expalanation is that rex can claim to woody he is blameless if idzick's pick turns out to be phoney baloney: rex can claim he was forced to start geno, but knew that vick was the correct short term answer to a winning season. then in the midst of all the dissension, we see idzik taking the heat, and maybe be gone next year. after all wooody didnt pick him. he hired someone to pick him for him.

a very positive positive is the play of Alex Green, though they dont really need another running back.

final words: to repeat offense is more dynamic, creative under vick. it was immediately obvious when viewed under replay.

Rex better wake up, instead of trying to recreate the team he had in the Sanchize's first year. run run run run run dink pass run run run.

Absolute shoo in for BY FAR the stupidest post I have read in August maybe the entire summer. Wow. Just delete your account and go away troll.

Positives:

I am just glad no one got seriously injured.

After todays game one thing became certain. JETS have two good QBs at the top so they might not carry a 3rd QB. Which opens up a roster spot that might be used to carry an extra player at  either the RB or WR position.

MacD's looked good. Millner held his own.

Negatives:

O-Line.

It's obvious that you came into this with a pre conceived opinion and looked for things to support it. I saw things completely different. It's also the first pre season game.    I don't think they even game plan for this game in the first place. To say that the game plan was bad is not really a valid argument. 

I will agree with you about the almost pick 6 and I hope they stuff that one Geno's throat all week. Other than that he didn't look bad and I was encouraged.

I am more worried about Ivory getting hurt again ( boy did he hit the hole hard on the goal line) and Patterson sucking.

Absolute shoo in for BY FAR the stupidest post I have read in August maybe the entire summer. Wow. Just delete your account and go away troll.

i dont know who you are or what your problem is.  but your rudeness against someone you do not know is uncalled for.  if opinions that you dont like to read bother you, dont read anything except what you write.  i have been a Jets fan since 1968.  i have watched many if not most their games between 1968 and the early 2000s, at Shea and Giants stadium.  I then retired to Fla and it became more impossibleto watch complete seasons on TV at home.  if Jetsnation is a place where the moderators allow people llke you to insult newcomers to this forum, then you will have your wish.  I therefore call on the sit'\s moderators to issue you a warning for unwarranted behavior.  Never think you can call other people names, and get away with it -- unless of course the moderators allow it here, in which case I shall leave.

Dimitri Patterson might not make the 53 man roster for a veteran he looked terrible could be the reason he;s been on 7 teams we have Lankster and Walls they are better depth.

WRs we still need a #2. The offense once again was dull as its been for awhile is it the players or the play calling?

The offensive line isn't that good.

Get to work Rex your job is on the line show some urgency.

It's obvious that you came into this with a pre conceived opinion and looked for things to support it. I saw things completely different. It's also the first pre season game.    I don't think they even game plan for this game in the first place. To say that the game plan was bad is not really a valid argument. 

I will agree with you about the almost pick 6 and I hope they stuff that one Geno's throat all week. Other than that he didn't look bad and I was encouraged.

I am more worried about Ivory getting hurt again ( boy did he hit the hole hard on the goal line) and Patterson sucking.

I agree wity you about Dimitri.  That play where he got burned leads me to believe he might get sliced up six ways till Sunday by the gauntlet of elite QBs the Jets will face the first half of the season.  As for the pre conceived notion thing, yes, I of course agree with that too:  my notion of Geno was formed last year.  I could be totally wrong about him, though, which is why the games are played.  My underlying worry goes beyond Geno and is aimed more at worrying if Rex -- whom I Ilke personally, especially given his ties to the 68 Jets -- is really an HC.  The resurfacing of his bombast this season really gave me cause for concern, as well as allowing players to make statements that willl make them targets when the preseason gloves come off.   It is important in football and life not to have illusions about one's actual abilities.  My other concern is of course the owner, at many many levels, but that is something the Jets have to live with -- at least he not Wismer:  it used during the Polo years that the Jets once ran to bank after practise and still in uniform to cash their paychecks, hoping they wouldnt bounce! .  That being said, Woody has a least brought some financial stability to the team, which is now valued at twice what he paid for them. I hope the new Jets have a fantastic season, and go deep into the playoffs.

Dimitri Patterson might not make the 53 man roster for a veteran he looked terrible could be the reason he;s been on 7 teams we have Lankster and Walls they are better depth.

WRs we still need a #2. The offense once again was dull as its been for awhile is it the players or the play calling?

The offensive line isn't that good.

Get to work Rex your job is on the line show some urgency.

Yeah but who's worse? Patterson or Wilson? He looked lost yet again last night on the couple occasions where I watched him. That guy… I can't believe he's still here. 

What I came away with was that in spite of Cro's bad season last year, I am really upset we let him go in favor of Patterson who looks like Lito Shepherd 2.0.

Agreed. Especially because he both wanted to be here and would have come cheap. I think we're paying Patterson equal or near what Cro got.  It makes no sense to me and is one of the moves I still don't like from this offseason. 

Hill looked ok. On one of the QB scrambles he had a really nice down-field block. If he can at least contribute that way, he'll bring something to the table.

If thats what it is important we'd have just brought Braylon. BRAY BRAY!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont know who you are or what your problem is.  but your rudeness against someone you do not know is uncalled for.  if opinions that you dont like to read bother you, dont read anything except what you write.  i have been a Jets fan since 1968.  i have watched many if not most their games between 1968 and the early 2000s, at Shea and Giants stadium.  I then retired to Fla and it became more impossibleto watch complete seasons on TV at home.  if Jetsnation is a place where the moderators allow people llke you to insult newcomers to this forum, then you will have your wish.  I therefore call on the sit'\s moderators to issue you a warning for unwarranted behavior.  Never think you can call other people names, and get away with it -- unless of course the moderators allow it here, in which case I shall leave.

Whaaaat? Relax. 

Also, its preseason.. game 1 at that.

Patterson looked not so good. I can't believe with all the corners on the market this off season we didn't land one of them. Well, here is hoping that Pryor is the real deal and having him roaming around in the backfield is gonna make receivers scared to catch balls. 

Archived