Jets reach out to Asante Samuel

Gastineau Lives

You should read these links yourself, dufus. 

Revis is basically telling a Jets fan GFY "i'd rather be rich and winless than playing for Rex for less". 

This doesn't support your argument. He's obviously not being sincere, he's being petty and saying whatever will piss the Jets fan off most. 

If anything you've supported my points by finding this link.

Thank you.

Now STFU.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revis wants to play for the team who pays him the most. He's not going to take less money to play for a team, seriously where the hell do you get this nonsense? If the Jets outbid the Patriots, something they could do with their cap space, they would've had Revis.

He hates the Jets. Hates. 

He wanted to go to the Pats, he needed a way to also make them the team that offers him the most. That's the only reason we got a phone call. What part of this is going over your empty head?

the jets have a ton of cap space right now.   remind me again why they didn't sign one of the good free agent CB's during the off-season. 

someone needs to tell Idzik that the cap is going up significantly over the next few years.   

Its because he had Dee Milliner and Dexter McDougle just 48 hours ago. Thats like saying "why didnt we resign Mark Sanchez" after Geno and Vick goes down. Idzik had a plan at CB and we happen to be hit in that area. it happens. Instead of trying to sign your problems away how about some of these "depth" guys step up and show why they're a Jet. 

This is Darrin Walls opportunity. This is the rookie Brandon Dixon's opportunity. Everyone has ignored Dixon given the performance of Dexter McDougle. Dixon needs to show that he's a man cover corner and he expects to get some playing time. Milliner will have a month to nurse that ankle sprain. That give our corners the rest of the preseason to show and prove. This situation was bad at first, but we all knew that Milliner and McDougle was making this team. We have the opportunity to see more of a player that may not have gotten the opportunity and would have probably got cut if not for this. Guys need to step up from within or we'll never win a championship. 

You should read these links yourself, dufus. 

Revis is basically telling a Jets fan GFY "i'd rather be rich and winless than playing for Rex for less". 

This doesn't support your argument. He's obviously not being sincere, he's being petty and saying whatever will piss the Jets fan off most. 

If anything you've supported my points by finding this link.

Thank you.

Now STFU.

He wanted to go to the Pats, he needed a way to also make them the team that offers him the most. That's the only reason we got a phone call. What part of this is going over your empty head?

You sound bitter against Revis. Honestly, you don't seem to realize that for these players this game is a job. Their getting paid to do this, their going to go with the money. I'm not even going to bother with this argument anymore, you clearly cannot think rationally do to your blinding hate of Revis.

You sound bitter against Revis. Honestly, you don't seem to realize that for these players this game is a job. Their getting paid to do this, their going to go with the money. I'm not even going to bother with this argument anymore, you clearly cannot think rationally do to your blinding hate of Revis.

Bitter? LMFAO my life is too dope to be bitter.

I loved Revis when he was a Jet. I wasn't one of those guys that bitched about his holdouts.

Revis is the one that was clearly bitter. HE showed that he took it personal when we traded him. That's why I'm saying what I'm saying.

If anything your hate / bitterness towards Idzik is blinding you to realities that seem obvious to most if us. If projecting helps you cope, then by all means... We see it.

Its because he had Dee Milliner and Dexter McDougle just 48 hours ago. Thats like saying "why didnt we resign Mark Sanchez" after Geno and Vick goes down. Idzik had a plan at CB and we happen to be hit in that area. it happens. Instead of trying to sign your problems away how about some of these "depth" guys step up and show why they're a Jet. 

This is Darrin Walls opportunity. This is the rookie Brandon Dixon's opportunity. Everyone has ignored Dixon given the performance of Dexter McDougle. Dixon needs to show that he's a man cover corner and he expects to get some playing time. Milliner will have a month to nurse that ankle sprain. That give our corners the rest of the preseason to show and prove. This situation was bad at first, but we all knew that Milliner and McDougle was making this team. We hfave the opportunity to see more of a player that may not have gotten the opportunity and would have probably got cut if not for this. Guys need to step up from within or we'll never win a championship. 

my issue is that Idzil chose to pay Patterson $3M instead of paying DRC $8M while sitting on $25M of cap space.    **** it, with this much cap space he could have signed both and put patterson in the slot. 

my issue is that Idzil chose to pay Patterson $3M instead of paying DRC $8M while sitting on $25M of cap space.    **** it, with this much cap space he could have signed both and put patterson in the slot. 

Or to be cheap like Idzik.. just bring Cromartie back for almost the identical pay that patterson got. Cromartie > Patterson.

Rex is lost if he thinks he can play cover zero with this secondary. This defense is essentially the opposite of our 09/10 personnel...should play the tampa 2 more and let our dline earn its keep.

Not an apple to apples comparison due to very different contract structures.  Patterson is strictly a one-year commitment.  Take a look at DRC's 5 year deal and you'll see the cap hit/dead money impact down the road.

Mind showing me where I said otherwise?

I said it already in this thread, the role of the call to the Jets was so that Revis could play for the team he wanted at the salary he wanted. We were only supposed to be involved in order to drive up the cost.

Edit: I'll clarify further for you... Revis wanted to get as much as possible from the team he always intended to sign with, our rivals, the Patriots. A quick call to the Jets, circulated through the league lights a fire under the Patriots. It puts the pressure on them to pay up. 

Revis and his agent are brilliant at playing parties against each other. 

If that's the case then good for him.  It's his career and he has every right to try to earn the most money he can.  The NFL does not have guaranteed contracts so I don't blame him for maximizing his earnings.  I still am grateful for his play as a Jet.  He was one of our best players ever.  I don't have any ill will toward him.  Obviously I'll be rooting against the team he plays for though. 

Not an apple to apples comparison due to very different contract structures.  Patterson is strictly a one-year commitment.  Take a look at DRC's 5 year deal and you'll see the cap hit/dead money impact down the road.

this is a very flawed argument.    if you are going with the 1-year rental argument then Revis was the answer and you can still draft McGlass to develop.   the $20M+ is salary cap space is not doing this team any good right now.   

this is a very flawed argument.    if you are going with the 1-year rental argument then Revis was the answer and you can still draft McGlass to develop.   the $20M+ is salary cap space is not doing this team any good right now.   

No flaws in my statement -- just stating the complete facts and pointing out it is not as simple as playing $8M for DRC vs $3M for Patterson as you erroneously framed the situation.  Never let the facts or the entire picture get in the way, right?

Obviously, they didn't think DRC was worth the financial/contractual commitment and did not fit their plans other than on a short term deal.  I agree with the way they played it, given the fact that DRC did not want to accept the offer the Jets made.

Then how is Idzik going to sign guys like Wilkerson next year while still being in position to deal in free agency? Its not like he just wants to keep the money for himself. He wants to keep the guys that we drafted and molded while adding supporting pieces (Patterson) while ultimately drafting and developing guys to replace those free agents (McDougle). When you do this however you need to figure out how to keep them once they become good players (Wilkerson) and get rid of the guys who didnt live up to expectations (Wilson). 

Idzik doesnt seem like a 1 year plan kinda guy. We have problems at the CB position, no doubt about it, but this is also why he used all 12 picks in the draft. This is the opportunity to have our scouting dept. earn their paycheck. Its competition at every facet of the team with Idzik, not just with the players. Its time for a guy like Ras-I Dowling to show that the Pats should have taken the time to develop. Brandon Dixon will get an opportunity too, though it may be a bit too early for him to shine, but you never know. 

Signing DRC or Flowers would have been nothing more than a splashy move that would have eaten up cap space. Idzik is telling the coaches to develop the talent. We're at the level where these guys are the best in the world at what they do. That should mean that you're dealing with the best coaches in the world too. Its time for coaches to begin developing talent. How many DB's went down for Seattle the year they won it all? My point isn't to make the comparison to seattle because of Idzik, my point is to show that Seattle had the depth. Injuries happen to every team in the league. I was surprise that it took this long for us to come across the injury bug. Granted, I really wanted to see McDougle this year, just had a good feeling about him, but at the end of the day every team has guys on IR (Ask the Colts last year who had like 15 guys on IR yet still won 11 games and went undefeated in their division). Either we act like the typical losing franchise and sign a washed up guy like Asante Samuel with a knee-jerk reaction deal or we press the issue and have the guys on this team show and prove. If we sign someone it needs to be thought out, not simply because we have injuries, the purpose of having depth is that you believe that the people behind your starters could step up and hold the fort. If we dont believe that then we should have signed free agents and drafted another CB months ago. Its too late for that. We're about to see what this secondary is made of. Im actually pretty excited about it. Get some fresh blood in there and see what we get. Antonio Allen doesnt seem to have a problem with it. He had 2 picks today against both Geno and Vick playing at CB. 

So let me get this straight, your disagreeing with the guy that Revis wouldn't have wanted to come here if we offered more money then the Pats? Get out of here, the homerism here is ridiculous, Revis is a mercenary who plays for the highest bidder, if the Jets offered him more then 12 mil he'd be here.

That's my exact point, we've been told all along by Jets fans and Revis's own actions that top $$$ is what he's all about and now all of a sudden Revis is going to take less money to play for the Pats? Revisionist history at it's best. The Pats could not compete with the Jets cap space, so it leads me to believe that someone in the Jets organization put their personal feelings ahead of making the team better, unless there's anyone out there crazy enough to argue that Revis wouldn't immediately improve the Jets secondary.

So your argument basically comes down to denial in the face of facts and name calling? And the Mod tells me I bring nothing to the conversation? :indifferent0023:

That's my exact point, we've been told all along by Jets fans and Revis's own actions that top $$$ is what he's all about and now all of a sudden Revis is going to take less money to play for the Pats? Revisionist history at it's best. The Pats could not compete with the Jets cap space, so it leads me to believe that someone in the Jets organization put their personal feelings ahead of making the team better, unless there's anyone out there crazy enough to argue that Revis wouldn't immediately improve the Jets secondary.

The Jets traded Revis as a business decision. They no longer wanted the highest paid CB in football on their team. They also had first-hand knowledge of what it was like doing business with Revis, and wanted no part of that. It wasn't a personal decision, it was a personnel decision. This GM has shown a tightness with the pennies. Really not much more to see here than that. They had (have) enough cap room to outbid everyone for anyone, but that's just simply not the way this guy does business. There were plenty of CBs who would've helped the Jets secondary, all of them less expensive than Revis, and he didn't bite on any of those, either. 

So what you've allegedly been told, and how that alleged information has impacted your belief system is invalid. 

Not Mod.

Mods.

Well if this is one of those sites that doesn't allow for anything but pom pom waiving that's your call I guess. However I haven't made any personal attacks or called people names, yet for having a opposing view point I've been attacked, called names and the mods haven't done a thing?

So your argument basically comes down to denial in the face of facts and name calling? And the Mod tells me I bring nothing to the conversation? :indifferent0023:

My argument is derived from as much "fact" as exists on the subject. The counter-argument is rooted in revisionist history to perpetuate the anti-Idzik sentiment.

My argument is consistent and unwavering. The counter-argument skirts around the actual "knowns" and clings to peripheral bologna.

Name calling is sport. Buttbrains.

Well if this is one of those sites that doesn't allow for anything but pom pom waiving that's your call I guess. However I haven't made any personal attacks or called people names, yet for having a opposing view point I've been attacked, called names and the mods haven't done a thing?

Yes, it's one of those sites. This is what we do. If you feel unwelcome then the system is working.

Then how is Idzik going to sign guys like Wilkerson next year while still being in position to deal in free agency? Its not like he just wants to keep the money for himself. He wants to keep the guys that we drafted and molded while adding supporting pieces (Patterson) while ultimately drafting and developing guys to replace those free agents (McDougle). When you do this however you need to figure out how to keep them once they become good players (Wilkerson) and get rid of the guys who didnt live up to expectations (Wilson). 

Idzik doesnt seem like a 1 year plan kinda guy. We have problems at the CB position, no doubt about it, but this is also why he used all 12 picks in the draft. This is the opportunity to have our scouting dept. earn their paycheck. Its competition at every facet of the team with Idzik, not just with the players. Its time for a guy like Ras-I Dowling to show that the Pats should have taken the time to develop. Brandon Dixon will get an opportunity too, though it may be a bit too early for him to shine, but you never know. 

Signing DRC or Flowers would have been nothing more than a splashy move that would have eaten up cap space. Idzik is telling the coaches to develop the talent. We're at the level where these guys are the best in the world at what they do. That should mean that you're dealing with the best coaches in the world too. Its time for coaches to begin developing talent. How many DB's went down for Seattle the year they won it all? My point isn't to make the comparison to seattle because of Idzik, my point is to show that Seattle had the depth. Injuries happen to every team in the league. I was surprise that it took this long for us to come across the injury bug. Granted, I really wanted to see McDougle this year, just had a good feeling about him, but at the end of the day every team has guys on IR (Ask the Colts last year who had like 15 guys on IR yet still won 11 games and went undefeated in their division). Either we act like the typical losing franchise and sign a washed up guy like Asante Samuel with a knee-jerk reaction deal or we press the issue and have the guys on this team show and prove. If we sign someone it needs to be thought out, not simply because we have injuries, the purpose of having depth is that you believe that the people behind your starters could step up and hold the fort. If we dont believe that then we should have signed free agents and drafted another CB months ago. Its too late for that. We're about to see what this secondary is made of. Im actually pretty excited about it. Get some fresh blood in there and see what we get. Antonio Allen doesnt seem to have a problem with it. He had 2 picks today against both Geno and Vick playing at CB. 

Good post. Sums up what Idzik is doing, and why he is doing it, perfectly.

The Jets traded Revis as a business decision. They no longer wanted the highest paid CB in football on their team. They also had first-hand knowledge of what it was like doing business with Revis, and wanted no part of that. It wasn't a personal decision, it was a personnel decision. This GM has shown a tightness with the pennies. Really not much more to see here than that. They had (have) enough cap room to outbid everyone for anyone, but that's just simply not the way this guy does business. There were plenty of CBs who would've helped the Jets secondary, all of them less expensive than Revis, and he didn't bite on any of those, either. 

So what you've allegedly been told, and how that alleged information has impacted your belief system is invalid. 

This is change to your story, "what happened to Revis wouldn't come here"?  Now it was a business decision? If so it files in the face of every bit of common sense a GM should have in putting a team together. It's all business decisions, and there's no room for personal bias in any business decisions. In your own words, "they had first hand knowledge of what it was like doing business with Revis and wanted no part of that." The fact is the by your own words the Jets front office did take it personally and when the opportunity to improve their team dramatically came, they let their personal feelings and bias let one of the best players in the game go to the very team that's had their foot on the Jets neck for over a decade now. Revis called B.B. out in public several times disparaging him, yet he didn't take it personal, he got the opportunity to improve his team dramatically in an area of need and he did. What's even worse for the Jets is, aside from the Revis failure, they actually believed going into the season counting on disappointing Milner and a 3rd round scrub as potential starters made sense when they had a chance at several solid FA. You can spin it all you like here but the Jets screwed this situation up royally and believe me once the teams hit the field for real, denial won't change anything.   

This is change to your story, "what happened to Revis wouldn't come here"?  Now it was a business decision? If so it files in the face of every bit of common sense a GM should have in putting a team together. It's all business decisions, and there's no room for personal bias in any business decisions. In your own words, "they had first hand knowledge of what it was like doing business with Revis and wanted no part of that." The fact is the by your own words the Jets front office did take it personally and when the opportunity to improve their team dramatically came, they let their personal feelings and bias let one of the best players in the game go to the very team that's had their foot on the Jets neck for over a decade now. Revis called B.B. out in public several times disparaging him, yet he didn't take it personal, he got the opportunity to improve his team dramatically in an area of need and he did. What's even worse for the Jets is, aside from the Revis failure, they actually believed going into the season counting on disappointing Milner and a 3rd round scrub as potential starters makes no sense when they had a chance at several solid FA. You can spin it all you like here but the Jets screwed this situation up royally and believe me once the teams hit the field for real, denial won't change anything.   

There's a difference between being called a dick by a rival, and having a player hold out on you a couple times - always with the threat of another holdout. The latter is a business problem, not a personal one. 

The Pats and Jets are in very different places. The Pats are trying to win one last Super Bowl before Brady falls apart. The Jets are still looking for their QB. The Pats might've been just one $12M CB away from really contending for a title, but the Jets weren't. Again, pretty simple stuff. 

Your buddy Bob would seem to disagree.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24499140/robert-kraft-darrelle-revis-took-less-money-to-come-to-patriots

There's a difference between being called a dick by a rival, and having a player hold out on you a couple times - always with the threat of another holdout. The latter is a business problem, not a personal one. 

The Pats and Jets are in very different places. The Pats are trying to win one last Super Bowl before Brady falls apart. The Jets are still looking for their QB. The Pats might've been just one $12M CB away from really contending for a title, but the Jets weren't. Again, pretty simple stuff. 

OK, I'll assume that is true for arguments sake, yet how does that "business" decision as you call it, account for the Jets not addressing the CB position either from a starter or depth perspective when it was one of the weakest parts of the team? There were good options that didn't demand to be the highest paid at their position, and the Jets had plenty of cap space to address them now and for the future. Fan bias aside, it makes zero sense.

OK, I'll assume that is true for arguments sake, yet how does that "business" decision as you call it, account for the Jets not addressing the CB position either from a starter or depth perspective when it was one of the weakest parts of the team? There were good options that didn't demand to be the highest paid at their position, and the Jets had plenty of cap space to address them now and for the future. Fan bias aside, it makes zero sense.

they needed man to man press corners, so scheme fit explains a lot.  they are building through the draft, that explains the rest

hip hip hooray !!!

the "seattle way" is to bring in lots of cheap, fast talent, and let them fight it out in thunder dome, extend the good ones and cut the other ones

I think idzik is using that model with a twist of buying one shiny toy per off season

when DRC makes his first business decision tackle, watch giants fans complain about how much they paid for him, lol

the "seattle way" is to bring in lots of cheap, fast talent, and let them fight it out in thunder dome, extend the good ones and cut the other ones

Yeah, it's amazing that they had one of the highest salary cap numbers in the NFL despite paying Wilson and Sherman a combined 1.2 mil, spending half their cap space on seven guys and having Zach Miller count 11 million against their cap. But tell me more about your take on it.

hip hip hooray !!!

I think idzik is using that model with a twist of buying one shiny toy per off season

when DRC makes his first business decision tackle, watch giants fans complain about how much they paid for him, lol

Except at WR and TE, where they bring in mega-expensive busts. Hope we're side-stepping that part of the Seattle Way with Decker.

Except at WR and TE, where they bring in mega-expensive busts. Hope we're side-stepping that part of the Seattle Way with Decker.

oh crap.  hey, we'll always be able to google his woman and relieve the frustrations

Archived