I am so angry. Izdick is a tool.

Do you really think he didn't try?

The one guy that fits that description who was available was Vontae Davis and he re-signed with the Colts after talking to the Jets. Sometimes you can't sign everyone you want. Probably 15-20 teams were looking to sign a QB this offseason. This sh*t doesn't happen in a vacuum.

We also had a visit scheduled with Munnerlyn, but the Vikings didn't let him out of their building.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which "Reliable, effective" corner?  I'm thinking you don't know what that is.  The NFL has a league-wide coverage problem, and guys like DRC and Captain Munnerlyn are anything but "reliable" or "effective".  And Alterraun Verner doesn't know what man coverage is.  Patterson may suck but it would be far worse to spend $8-11M on a corner who sucks a little less.

OK, ixnay on the word reliable.

Depending on when it happened in the offseason:

-Revis.

-I would have fought for Davis. Maybe Idzik did and just lost out. OK.

-I would have looked into signing Antonio Cromartie. He had a down season and he had an injury, but he's a veteran, he's accomplished a lot in this league and he knows the system.

-I would have made a non-insulting offer to DRC if it came down to that.

-I would have inquired about Flowers. I'm not saying I would have signed him, but I would have at least picked up the phone---and Idzik didn't. I know he's a zone guy, but we're playing a lot more zone this season. I know he had a down year, but again, an accomplished veteran.

-Trades.

There's more besides that, I'm sure.

One thing I most certainly would not have done is rely on Patterson to be my #2 corner on the outside. That isn't even necessarily an anti-Patterson thing; if he was competing with Wilson to cover the slot, then fine. Yeah, a lot of the guys you mentioned have question marks. Dimitri Patterson probably has more question marks than any veteran corner in the league. I'm not being hyperbolic, just look at the guy's stats. In 9 seasons, he's only appeared in 16 games once. Just once. On average, he appears in just 8.7 games per season. It's impossible to underestimate how much of a problem that is when you're relying on him as a starter.

-Revis.

-I would have looked into signing Antonio Cromartie. He had a down season and he had an injury, but he's a veteran, he's accomplished a lot in this league and he knows the system.

-I would have inquired about Flowers. I'm not saying I would have signed him, but I would have at least picked up the phone---and Idzik didn't. I know he's a zone guy, but we're playing a lot more zone this season. I know he had a down year, but again, an accomplished veteran.

-Trades.

One thing I most certainly would not have done is rely on Patterson to be my #2 corner on the outside. That isn't even necessarily an anti-Patterson thing; if he was competing with Wilson to cover the slot, then fine. Yeah, a lot of the guys you mentioned have question marks. Dimitri Patterson probably has more question marks than any veteran corner in the league. I'm not being hyperbolic, just look at the guy's stats. In 9 seasons, he's only appeared in 16 games once. Just once. On average, he appears in just 8.7 games per season. It's impossible to underestimate how much of a problem that is when you're relying on him as a starter.

See, THIS is how you form an argument!  Well done.

I'll agree with you on Cromartie.  I think if he's back to full health he'll have a bounce-back year.  He wanted to be here.  Perhaps the Jets knew something about him we didn't, and the fact that he only signed a 1-year deal with Arizona could be evidence of that.  No one was breaking down doors to get him.  If the hip is still a factor, Idzik made the right call.  If not, we'll miss having him.

Yes on Davis.  Not sure how much more it would have cost to pull him away from the Colts, a division favorite and Super Bowl contender.  If we lost out on him for $1-$2M, bad Idzik.  If we missed out by $3-4M good Idzik.  Too bad we'll never know.

Revis no.  He would not have been part of our plans in 2015 and beyond.  When you're a non-contender it's an easy decision to pass on a guy like this, who we know for a fact will hold the franchise hostage at first opportunity.

DRC has been a journeyman corner for a good reason.  He just plain isn't that good. 

Flowers was cut by the Chiefs because they need to pay Justin Houston.  And because he wasn't a good fit for Bob Sutton's defensive scheme.  You know, the guy who used to run Rex's system here.  Not exactly a good fit.

As for trades, I'd prefer not to deal picks away for a corner when you can draft them instead.  If you're thinking player for player swap, maybe Coples to a 4-3 team?  And if so, which corner could we have gotten?

See, THIS is how you form an argument!  Well done.

I'll agree with you on Cromartie.  I think if he's back to full health he'll have a bounce-back year.  He wanted to be here.  Perhaps the Jets knew something about him we didn't, and the fact that he only signed a 1-year deal with Arizona could be evidence of that.  No one was breaking down doors to get him.  If the hip is still a factor, Idzik made the right call.  If not, we'll miss having him.

Yes on Davis.  Not sure how much more it would have cost to pull him away from the Colts, a division favorite and Super Bowl contender.  If we lost out on him for $1-$2M, bad Idzik.  If we missed out by $3-4M good Idzik.  Too bad we'll never know.

Revis no.  He would not have been part of our plans in 2015 and beyond.  When you're a non-contender it's an easy decision to pass on a guy like this, who we know for a fact will hold the franchise hostage at first opportunity.

DRC has been a journeyman corner for a good reason.  He just plain isn't that good. 

Flowers was cut by the Chiefs because they need to pay Justin Houston.  And because he wasn't a good fit for Bob Sutton's defensive scheme.  You know, the guy who used to run Rex's system here.  Not exactly a good fit.

As for trades, I'd prefer not to deal picks away for a corner when you can draft them instead.  If you're thinking player for player swap, maybe Coples to a 4-3 team?  And if so, which corner could we have gotten?

With regards to Revis, my take was that Dee Milliner is still unproven. So you get a proven guy that knows how to play in the system, and you see what happens with Milliner. If he pans out, Revis is gone next season and then you can move another riskier guy up to play alongside Milliner.

Talking about the zone coverage situation---not sure how they plan to play man-to-man with this group, anyway. That's not to mention the impending crackdown on defensive holding. So, if Antonio Allen is our starting corner on the outside playing the man, is that actually better than having a zone guy and just adjusting your scheme a bit? I dunno.

As to the CB situation in general, you wanna write off a potential player one at a time, that's fine by me. So take Revis and let's say the difference between him and management are not reconcilable. That's OK. Go onto Davis. You miss out on him. That's OK. DRC wasn't worth it? OK. Couldn't find a CB in the draft? Fine.

But as you go on and on and on down the line, eventually the buck has to stop with the GM. He has to put a competitive team on the field. He has to find a move that he can make that prevents our secondary from getting torn to shreds. With all these picks and all that cap room, if he can't assemble a somewhat competitive secondary then that's on him. I don't know how to characterize that as anything other than a failure.

But as you go on and on and on down the line, eventually the buck has to stop with the GM. He has to put a competitive team on the field. He has to find a move that he can make that prevents our secondary from getting torn to shreds. With all these picks and all that cap room, if he can't assemble a somewhat competitive secondary then that's on him. I don't know how to characterize that as anything other than a failure.

You do realize it's possible to field a competitive roster without having a stud free agent # 2 corner, right? 

And that safety is a part of the secondary too?  We drafted one of those in the 1st round in case you forgot.

You do realize it's possible to field a competitive roster without having a stud free agent # 2 corner, right? 

And that safety is a part of the secondary too?  We drafted one of those in the 1st round in case you forgot.

If you had a great pass rush that would help. Unfortunately, I don't think we do. We have a sick DL but not a great pass rush. No beast on the outside, for example.

Even still, I agree with you, I don't think you need a stud at #2 corner even if your pass rush isn't tremendous. This comes back to Dee Milliner, IMO. I believe in him but he's still a question mark. So while I agree that you don't need a stud #2 corner, I think without a great pass rush, it would still be preferable to have at least one talented, veteran corner on the outside as Milliner isn't a sure thing.

Also, I believe we can both agree that the gap between a young linebacker converted to safety converted to corner and a stud #2 corner is rather wide.

To me it's not about bringing in nobody for $$$ until a franchise QB materializes. I think - it's my opinion - that he's not bringing in high-priced FAs at positions with shorter windows of play worthy of those dollars before that happens.

For big money, there are 2 types of free agents.

1. One year rental from someone, like Revis, who wants to max-out every year. There are few of these, but you get them for 1 year then you have to be the highest bidder again every year, regardless as to whether that player is worth that much to that roster.

2. Multi-year deal. Obviously the more common. But I take for granted that often, if not typically, these players are at their best in the first year or two of the contract and then taper after that. And it may just be an age thing. After the rookie contract is over - and maybe a franchise tag for a year after that sometimes, or after playing out an extension with the team that drafted him before the rookie deal expires - the player then hits free agency at age 27-28 (often older). 

Well, a common thing to see is the new FA starting out strong (as long as they don't turn to garbage upon getting huge guarantees like Holmes), maybe is just as good or only slightly worse a year later, then that starts to taper off in a hurry. Bart Scott comes to mind. If players like this are routinesly sought out, then the guarantees last longer than the player can live up to the deal as the player's deal is renegotiated to lower the present cap number. By year 3, certainly by year 4, and sometimes even by year 2, you've got a very expensive player with millions left in guarantees, who isn't nearly worth the money anymore. We have this going on now with Ferguson and Mangold. We just got out of it with Scott, Pace, Harris (who's now at least in the reasonable range for this final contract year, though he's still a bit overpaid), and we also just got out of it with a certain QB whose name escapes me at the moment. 

Why not build a team this way? By the time you have enough pieces - particularly the key piece at QB - in place, you are locked into super-high contracts for players who aren't worth it anymore. It's ok with players at positions that have longer careers. Offensive linemen, WRs (whose games won't go to mush with a lost half-step), and certainly QBs (in the rare instance that a great one actually hits free agency or is available via a worthy trade) off the top of my head.  But then that next offseason when you want to make that dive to find multiple expensive guys, as well as retain the younger ones you want to keep, then the cap room isn't there anymore.

CBs - and there certainly are exceptions at the position - I would never expect to last 4-5 years. It's also a prime position to show that big money was a mistake already in year 2 (sometimes even year 1). Then by the time Smith (or the next guy) steps up, the team's locked into a player they wish they never signed. So I can understand the idea behind staying away from the position, especially while its stock is trading at an all-time high. Guys who put up one great (or merely very good) season have been getting $6M+/year deals with gobs of guaranteed money. It's poor value unless this is viewed as the final puzzle piece for this upcoming season (or two).

And if it doesn't work out, it IS more difficult for a lower draft pick to bump one down the depth chart, or be afforded enough attention in practice to prove himself worthy. If a $6-8M guy merely isn't so horrid (or injured), he's still getting all or almost all of the first team work. It also often works out this way because, after taking a CB #9 overall (as we did), and then paying big bucks for another in FA, most teams would steer clear of the position for the first few rounds (at least) for the next couple of drafts (maybe more). So it then would become more difficult to find that declining player's replacement until there's actually a vacancy right away. Which then leads to reaching at the position in the draft and/or overpaying a free agent coming off a career year. And around and around we go. Bradway/Tannenbaum did this at the WR position for most of the past decade, which is why they "ignored" the position in the draft.

At the same time, there does need to be some balance. It's my opinion that Patterson was the attempt at such (like Vick is at QB). Draft a CB, bring in a bunch more with the physical skills (or combine numbers, anyway) to be successful at the position, and let a low to moderate priced veteran, on a 1 year deal, play if no one else is yet starter-worthy. Or let him start the season and then when someone steps up with some in-game experience subbing in & out, or if/after Patterson gets injured, then someone takes his place as starter after the season's underway. 

And the thing is, it was playing out that way ahead of schedule with McDougal looking more than fine for a 3rd round rookie with 2 weeks of TC under his belt (and after missing most of his senior season to boot). Then Patterson looked like crap in the first pre-season game. OK no tragedy yet, because that just means McDougal starts earlier than expected. Except when McDougal gets injured for the season days later, and then Milliner like 5 minutes later is out for the next 3-4 weeks, and Patterson "dinged up" all at the same time, now we've got a crisis.

If we picked up someone else in FA for big dollars in March, then there probably would have been no McDougal in the draft. (I don't think this was a pure BAP draft for Idzik like 2013). Also there wouldn't have been Patterson in free agency either. I think they would have gone WR or G/T or some other position in round 3. Maybe we still take a corner with a much later pick (since we had 12).

And then if, instead of McDougal, it was DRC who busted his ACL on the same play in practice, followed by Milliner's injury, we'd have been no better off than we are today. Actually we'd be in worse shape. In other words, we're in such a dire situation at corner today because of the injuries, not purely because of the players themselves.

Please excuse the brevity of this reply.

I am not an acolyte of the highly paid cornerback cult. I do not get it. To me, if you are a defensive genius, you should be able to design aggressive, opportunistic pass defenses without laying out 20 mil of your salary cap for your starters. And these highly paid CBs are just not as big of an impact as some of these people believe. Find a way to put the QB on his ass, or hurry him to death. Stop the run. Get some turnovers. There you go. Man CBs do not bring a lot of turnovers, usually. Just a lot of unwarranted Idzik hate here. He has not been here long enough to warrant this kind of hatred. Just because he is not following the tried and true, and failed, formulas of his predecessors is no reason to roast him.

I am not an acolyte of the highly paid cornerback cult. I do not get it. To me, if you are a defensive genius, you should be able to design aggressive, opportunistic pass defenses without laying out 20 mil of your salary cap for your starters. And these highly paid CBs are just not as big of an impact as some of these people believe. Find a way to put the QB on his ass, or hurry him to death. Stop the run. Get some turnovers. There you go. Man CBs do not bring a lot of turnovers, usually. Just a lot of unwarranted Idzik hate here. He has not been here long enough to warrant this kind of hatred. Just because he is not following the tried and true, and failed, formulas of his predecessors is no reason to roast him.

Partly, yes. More than anything else I think it's about impatience. That's understandable; who the hell wants to wait, as a fan, to see what it is we've got for the 2nd straight season?

But if you believe in the process - and a lot of fans don't - you draft a first class, let some of them play (actually we let a lot of them play) as rookies. Then see them again as 2nd year players plus another draft class as rookies. Then I think we'll have a better understanding of what is a need and what is a desire, and what is therefore the best use of the cap space that wasn't yet spent.

-Revis.

-Trades.

Just wondering.  If the Jets had signed Revis for 2 years at $32,000,000, and he blew his knee out again on the same day that Milliner got his high ankle  sprain, and whoever the #3 was in this scenario  wasn't practicing because of an injury, would Idzik still be an idiot for signing a player with bad knees in Revis? 

Just wondering.  If the Jets had signed Revis for 2 years at $32,000,000, and he blew his knee out again on the same day that Milliner got his high ankle  sprain, and whoever the #3 was in this scenario  wasn't practicing because of an injury, would Idzik still be an idiot for signing a player with bad knees in Revis? 

I believe it would go something like "you don't give that much money to a player with an injury history who also holds your team hostage, fire idzik"

I liked it right from the start, but I think there were only about 4-5 of us. 

Now it's a calamity that he's hurt. Amazing.

The little we saw of him in the Colts game was enough to convince yourself the kid could be very good.  Im just bummed he won;t get a chance this year.  Same thing happen his senior year at Maryland.  Might just be a hyper-sensitive fat guy thing linked to baby Crusher getting injured and missing his junior year.  He is back strong this year and I hope Dexter will be next year. 

if cat was actually spelled d o g, would you still consider yourself witty with posts like this?

Remember when we all hated the McDougle pick, ah good times.

Let me be the first to own up.

While i don't belong to "the world is going to end because Idzik" crowd who have been strong here for the past few days I did not like McDougal as a 3rd round pick because i think the JETS could have drafted him in the 4th or 5th round. And I still feel strongly about it. And at that point Gabe Jackson and Montcrief were still on the boards and the JETS could have drafted one of them instead.

Having said that I was impressed with how well he played against the Colts.There is some starting caliber talent and was rooting for him to get more time with the 1's.

So his injury is certainly a setback to the the talent level at that position but its not exactly the end of the world.

the hilarious part about this thread is idzik is going for depth, and these camp injuries only underscore the importance of depth

if idzik had signed revis and DRC, and they both got hurt on the same day, would we be congratulating idzik for spending so much of the cap on corners ?

ughhhhhhh

again

these injuries validate the premise of idziks strategy, they do not prove that DRC not signing here is proof he is cheap or incompetent

get it ?

Partly, yes. More than anything else I think it's about impatience. That's understandable; who the hell wants to wait, as a fan, to see what it is we've got for the 2nd straight season?

But if you believe in the process - and a lot of fans don't - you draft a first class, let some of them play (actually we let a lot of them play) as rookies. Then see them again as 2nd year players plus another draft class as rookies. Then I think we'll have a better understanding of what is a need and what is a desire, and what is therefore the best use of the cap space that wasn't yet spent.

I think this is it.  It's not like Idzik was just sitting on his hands.  He had a lot of CB's in for a visit while addressing the most glaring needs.  He also knew he had a boat load of picks to use as well.  I'm sure he looked at each FA in the long term and at some point in the evaluation he asked himself if this player was worth plugging into a starting role and not seeing what some of the homegrowns have to offer.  

I saw an interview with him the other day where he was asked if he had any regrets about the CB position this offseason.  Ofcourse he said he didnt, but I liked his explination...essentially he said when you bring in a FA they have to be a match with the team/lockerroom/strategy/future and financially, that he doesnt think immediate spending traslates to winning, he believes responsible spending leads to sustainable winning and that they have flexibility for this year and the future. 

Seems logical to me and its what many fans have been wanting from a GM, pointing to the Steelers, Ravens, 49'ers, Seahawks and Packers as examples.  So the guy pretty much follows the same philosophy of acquiring talent as the GM's we've clamored for and the make up of his team is identical to the last 3 of 4 SB teams but he's a terrible POS because he didnt sign a corner that really wouldnt have improved the defense all that much anyhow...and this all stems from a guy getting injured who nobody wanted to begin with.

the hilarious part about this thread is idzik is going for depth, and these camp injuries only underscore the importance of depth

if idzik had signed revis and DRC, and they both got hurt on the same day, would we be congratulating idzik for spending so much of the cap on corners ?

ughhhhhhh

again

these injuries validate the premise of idziks strategy, they do not prove that DRC not signing here is proof he is cheap or incompetent

get it ?

without a starting quality player,depth is the next most important thing.

I'm in Idzik's camp because he's building through the draft, which is something we've never done. He's also retained Rex, and brought in a true fallback option at QB.  Two moves that I feel are the right ones.

Signing every big name free agent available "just because we have the money" has proven time and time again to be a failed strategy.  

No one considered you crazy last year because at the time, you hadn't gone off the deep end.  Now you're an irrational mess.

This psot defines "irrational mess"

This whole draft/FA distinction is really false. Better and cheaper to build through the draft. But if that doesn't work out you go sign what you need. You get no extra points in any game because you built the draft or FA way. The Broncos didn't draft Peyotn Manning, the Seahawks didn't draft Lynch or Harvin. There is no right and wrong answer, only success or failure. Again there are a lot of people who have an obsession about this that simply totally misplaced and pointless.

The Jets have NEVER BUILT THROUGH THE DRAFT? Words fail me here. Did they draft Mangold, Brick, Revis et al? Did they get penalized for signing Curtis Martin?

ughhhhhhh

again

get it ?

Really? The fact that we have a bunch of crappy, injury prone cornerbacks that subsequently got injured validates Idzik's position?

Really? The fact that we have a bunch of crappy, injury prone cornerbacks that subsequently got injured validates Idzik's position?

its not idziks fault that his injury prone players get injured,its just bad luck. there is no way to foresee that kinda stuff

I'm trying so hard to be fair regarding Idzik - but it's not easy. Bradway and Tannenbaum had their faults - but both were better at getting players. Even the more frugal Bradway was smart enough to stay away from injury prone players. The one injury prone player Bradway gave money to was Pennington, which happened to be the end of him as a GM. Now we have Idzik that spreads the money out among 20 different Pennington's and everyone loves it? I know Richardson was a great pick - but I still struggle to see what Idzik has added to this team. The best players on this team are still Tannenbaum's, Mangold, DBrick, Wilkerson, Harris, Allen, Bush, Kerley, Powell, Cumberland, etc. Chris Johnson may not be better than Ivory who is no better that Tannenbaum's guy Powell. If Johnson was that great, then MM wouldnt be talking about a committee approach. Decker is no better than Kerley (both very good). Geno wasn't better than Sanchez last year and probably still is not. Vick is the best solution - but another guy who has never played more than 10 games. I know I will get killed for this post - but I don't know how you can not agree with this.

Mike Tannebaum is a way better general manager then John Idzik. Tannenbaum knew how to build a team & got the team to 2 back to back AFC Championships back to back through creating a contending roster. I really think Idzik is a clueless moron who cant evaluate talent and basically forgot to get a legitimate cornerback for this team which they dont have.The Same Old Jets are back again. This general manager has set up Rex Ryan to lose unfortunatley. Hopefully Rex gets this team to playoffs because Rex is a quality coach for this team & I hope he comes back for a 7th season. Idzik should not have been hired as general manager somebody else should of been hired instead of Idzik. Go Jets!

Mike Tannebaum is a way better general manager then John Idzik. Tannenbaum knew how to build a team & got the team to 2 back to back AFC Championships back to back through creating a contending roster. I really think Idzik is a clueless moron who cant evaluate talent and basically forgot to get a legitimate cornerback for this team which they dont have.The Same Old Jets are back again. This general manager has set up Rex Ryan to lose unfortunatley. Hopefully Rex gets this team to playoffs because Rex is a quality coach for this team & I hope he comes back for a 7th season. Idzik should not have been hired as general manager somebody else should of been hired instead of Idzik. Go Jets!

I too am proud of those back to back AFC Championship participation trophies!!!!

The best players on this team are still Tannenbaum's, Mangold, DBrick, Wilkerson, Harris, Allen, Bush, Kerley, Powell, Cumberland, etc.

7 seasons and you name 8 players.

2 declining offensive linemen.  The best player on the team.  An overrated and over payed ILB.  An ok safety.  A back-up safety.  A good slot WR.  A 3rd string RB.  A solid TE.

That's your pro-Tannenbaum argument?

Mike Tannebaum is a way better general manager then John Idzik.

Wait for it.

Tannenbaum knew how to build a team & got the team to 2 back to back AFC Championships back to back through creating a contending roster.

Waaait for it.

I really think Idzik is a clueless moron who cant evaluate talent and basically forgot to get a legitimate cornerback for this team which they dont have.

Not yet.

The Same Old Jets are back again.

Almost there.

This general manager has set up Rex Ryan to lose unfortunatley.

Whoomp-There-it-is-fat-amy.gif

Archived